Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Apples And Oranges [Self][Quest][Done]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 2:13 PM

Ren's hands shook as he chopped the onion, eyes blurring though he couldn't tell whether the tears that dripped down his nose were from the chopping or from his internal turmoil. Though he stuck by his decision that it was better to keep the family dinners going, it hurt to see the empty seat each time.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2201
Donate

Re: Apples And Oranges [Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 2:19 PM

He stirred the chopped onion into the meatball mix trying to make them tasty, but everything tasted like ash when he was in this state and his sons had already figured out that his heart wasn't in anything any more. Ever since he received the news that his eldest was missing in action, he could hardly function from the worry.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 2:32 PM

"Father?"

Viram had wandered into the kitchen; Ren wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, and noticed the other two boys peeking their heads through the kitchen doorway. He attempted a smile, though it came out as more of a grimace, and put the knife down for a moment to speak to the eldest of the triplets.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 2:35 PM

"Hey, Kiddo; Dad's just cutting onions, see?" Ren said, voice cracking even though he tried to keep it steady. He knew the effect his distress was having on the boys, but it was hard to keep himself in check - he had always been so passionate, keeping his emotions under control just wasn't what he was used to.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 2:37 PM

Viram frowned; his father only reverted to treating them like small children when he was really upset, and although he worried for his brother he had hoped that keeping the family dinners going would help his father deal with his brother's absence. He hugged his father, keeping his face turned away lest his scowl upset his father more.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 3:30 PM

As Viram pretended not to notice his father wiping away more tears, his brothers crept up behind him, also leaning in to share the hug. Even Caram, normally more solitary was feeling the eldest brother's absence and although they had tried to ease the burden on their father by helping out more, it didn't make up for the absence of their brother.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 3:39 PM

Ren swallowed and wiped his face again. He felt terrible, but these were his boys and they needed him just as much as he needed them. He took in a deep breath and squeezed them tightly, before stepping back and smiling, this time successfully. "How about you guys help me prepare dinner this time?" he said gently.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:06 PM

The triplets grinned back at their father, and went to wash their hands in the sink. Although they tried to help as much as they could, especially with Corthrim gone, the kitchen was the one place they didn't normally intrude and up until now Ren had been keen on keeping it to himself - a respite of sorts.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:10 PM

Ren smiled as he handed out utensils and chopping boards, and before long the meatballs were joined in their stew by all manner of vegetables and seasonings, with Viram on stirring duty to make sure nothing burned or stuck to the pot. The smell of wholesome cooking filled the room, and as they laid the table (with Corthrim's seat left empty and plated to remind them of him) Ren found himself more at peace than he had been since his son ran off to join the army.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:14 PM

Just as he was about to sit down, there came a knock on the door.

"Hang on guys, I'll be right back" he said with a smile on his face; he hoped whoever it was wouldn't keep him too long, as he was looking forward to sharing the meal with his boys.

A few short moments later, the triplets heard their father gasp and begin weeping. They ran to the door, food forgotten, terrified of their worst fears coming true.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:17 PM

They reached the door together, only to see their father draped over a figure wrapped in a trench coat who seemed to be holding onto him as if he were drowning and their father was a lifebuoy. Through howls and tears, they heard their father blubber "You're back" and gazed in amazement as he let go and pulled their brother in through the open door.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:18 PM

"Turns out you get leave when the fighting goes quiet, so I came home" Corthrim said sheepishly, holding his hat in his hands. He had been unsure whether he would be welcome, after having left in such a manner, but upon seeing his father's face he had been unable to resist the clutching hug and the tears that he now wiped away roughly.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:20 PM

Yuram ran to his brother and held him tight, tears already pouring down his face. He was always the emotional one, having inherited their father's passionate side, and now he all but bawled in relief. He couldn't believe his brother was here, after all the worrying that he had buried deep inside himself since the day Corthrim had left.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:22 PM

Viram wiped away the tears that threatened to fall, not wanting to imitate his baby brother yet unable to hold  back the surge of emotion and relief that gripped him upon seeing his big brother safe and sound. He strode forward, trying to move as quickly as possible without allowing himself to seem hurried, and grabbed his big brother by the shoulder before burying his face in it, hugging both Corthrim and Yuram in one.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/19/2018 4:24 PM

Caram hung back, watching his family be reunited yet feeling unable to join in himself. He was overjoyed by the return of his eldest brother, and silently cursed his inability to break the reserved personality he had cultured, wishing he could embrace his brother freely as his siblings had done.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next