Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Angles of Reproach [P; L]

Postby Indigo » 06/27/2019 5:53 PM

Given the option, when visiting the Iron Band, Amp would always choose to sit by the window. For one thing it kept her near the door, and the kind of crowd the Band attracted made her feel a lot more comfortable in such a spot; fights were rare, and there were precautions, but this was a place largely frequented by the heavy hitters, and so you wanted to be on guard. She could take any of them, but she would rather not have to.

This table also happened to be right under the speakers. Listening to music from too far away felt about like trying to drink the last of a milkshake through a straw, and even if this was the canned stuff rather than live, she'd still prefer a steady flow while she took it in. There was a glass in front of her full of clear brown liquid, which was not ideal, but she needed to buy something to sit in here and the new kid on bar couldn't figure out how to ring up ambient noise. Worry about what to do with it later. It would be a shame to waste good whiskey, on principle.

She turned up the collar of her long black coat, and watched the room, and thought. Some interesting stories lately from people who knew. Stories about a man made of blue crystal, probably one of those hunters underneath judging by the descriptions people gave, who moved in rarefied circles and spoke like a man of the old school. Amp was not personally acquainted with said old school, and was not entirely sure it meant anything, but one of her informants had used those words and they'd stuck in her brain.

Whatever that part was about, people generally seemed to agree on the guy's name and appearance, and also that he gave off a damned strong magic signature even to the uninitiated, which even Amp didn't do. Something weird about that. But all of it was pretty weird, because this guy, this Xavier Henshaw, had appeared out of nowhere, and everyone was talking about him but no one actually knew him. That kind of thing got Amp's back up. It reminded her of old fights, old enemies.

She had to find some way to get an introduction, figure it all out, but so far that had proven impossible. Not just because she was a mere mortal, financially speaking—she had friends who ranked higher in terms of social class and who could get her into all kinds of events. For the most part it was that she couldn't bear to play rich for a whole evening, and in order to get close to Henshaw she'd have to. She needed another plan.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: Angles of Reproach [P; L]

Postby DraconicFlare » 06/27/2019 6:34 PM

Ah, the Iron Band. For a bar, it was fairly pleasant, and though the patrons were of a more dangerous sort, they were also wary of Xavier. His presence was fairly large, so his worst interactions here tended to be caused by the more inexperienced, and he was generally able to intimidate or subdue them despite his own... lack of aptitude. He could feel more comfortable here than many other places, and so he frequented it more than some of the other more reputable locales. Also, they made an excellent dry martini.

He enters dramatically, as he always does, by looking intently at each patron for a moment, before taking a few long strides to the counter and asking for his usual. Xavier then makes another quick scan before taking his usual seat dead center of the bar, where he sips his drink and nods his head slightly to the music.

He has to make a show of it, you see, for his magical skill is, well, slim to none, aside from the parlor tricks enchanted into his various articles of clothing.
DraconicFlare
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate

Postby Indigo » 06/27/2019 7:07 PM

She felt him come in, and she hated it. Sometimes, especially with people who were magical things rather than just users of magic, she got a distinct vibe, but it wasn't usually this strong. It prickled her fur and made her nose tingle like coming in out of the cold. It was, frankly, uncalled-for. Especially since he stopped to look her right in the eyeholes and then moved on, like he didn't pick up anything in return.

Maybe he didn't. He probably couldn't detect any magic over his own stink.

Amp waited one, two, three minutes while he sat at the bar, drumming her fingers against the side of her accursed, unwanted whiskey, now triangulating with slightly more urgency. No question she would take advantage of this opportunity. She was unprepared, but so what? So was Henshaw. And with any luck he knew a thing or two about her, which gave her leverage. She got up and made for the barstool next to him, and took the whiskey with her, just in case.

"Hey," she said. "Quite an entrance you made back there. Looks like you've been practicing." That was a little mean, but he'd put her in a bad mood with his intense magical aura. Now that she was sitting in it it was even worse. "The name's Ampere Kay. You may have heard of me. And you, if I'm not mistaken, are that Xavier fellow everyone's been talking about. Sounds like you're becoming someone to know."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby DraconicFlare » 07/25/2019 8:22 PM

"Oh am I?" Xavier smirks. Of course he'd heard of her, Ampere is well known in the magic circles he, well, circles. But to think she'd heard of him? His reach is farther than he'd thought.

"Yes, I've heard of you. I don't suppose I need to introduce myself." He takes a sip off of his drink, his movements practiced and almost mechanically precise. Appearances are everything, after all. "What is it you wanted to discuss? As you could likely surmise, I am a busy man, and I'm sure you've heard of what happens to those who waste my time."

In all honesty, the way he's speaking with Amp pains him. Not physically, of course, but his assholery is not unbeknownst to him. But as much as he is aware, he also has to maintain the air of superiority or else... well, it would be most unpleasant to be exposed in such a public locale.
DraconicFlare
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 425
Donate