Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Hospitality For Those Really, REALLY Far From Home [Me+Gray]

Postby Freezair » 01/18/2020 2:49 PM

Everything in the Center was looking perfect.

The white tablecloths were spread with an impressive array of snacks and nibbles, intended to appeal to a very, very wide variety of tastes. Over the sign marked with a leaf, a wide variety of fruits and grains were piled high, glowing in a variety of appetizing colors. Over a sign marked with a bone and a marbled cut of meat, there were cold cuts, cooked meats in warming trays, and even carefully covered trays of delectable raw slices. A third table had a sign of a multi-legged creature, and it was covered in... terrariums? Yes, for insectivorous visitors, Desmond kept an array of bugs, both live and prepared. (He actually quite enjoyed the moth stew himself.)

Today was one of the "big meetings" he arranged, and he'd put out loads of flyers and been sure to advertise. Evelon was a place that saw many, many travelers from other dimensions--some purposeful, some not--and Desmond wanted to provide a place they felt welcome and could talk about their problems. He'd been successful in this business for most of his short life, even if he did adopt the human form of an old man. He liked to project a warm, grandfatherly aura, even if he himself, as a Kuhna, was only a few years old.

He had plenty of food. He had soft music playing. Now all he had to do was open the doors and wait. The center had received plenty of RSVPs, so he expected a good turnout today of travelers from other worlds.

And... there. The doors were open.

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Re: Hospitality For Those Really, REALLY Far From Home [Me+G

Postby GrayGriffin » 01/18/2020 9:21 PM

After getting out of that strange wintery place he and Osomatsu had found themselves in, naturally Franciscus' next course of action was to try and figure out what was going on with this strange new world. He'd found out about this meeting, and naturally had responded immediately. He was also showing up in his human form, it being the one most comfortable for him, although he did still have ears and a tail. He pushed the door open and strolled in with a casual stride, smiling at Desmond with an easy grin.

"It appears I'm one of the earlier ones, then?" he noted.

Right behind, a Lucain peered into the room, looking much less confident. He had a black band around one of his limbs holding a device of some sort to it, which he kept tapping nervously with the other paw. Lucky would rather have had anyone else come to this meeting, but it just so happened everyone else already had appointments. Hopefully there wouldn't be too many people.

"Is this the right place?" he asked quietly.
Crossing my heart
Open wide
You're my crystal and clover
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot
What would you do if I stole you tonight? (Ahh ahh)
Why waste time? (Ahh ahh)

'Cause the world goes on without us
It doesn't matter what we do
All silhouettes with no regrets
When I'm melting into you
'Cause I belong in your arms
I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2597
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/21/2020 2:36 PM

Visitors!

Desmond darted over to them, a big, feline smile on his face. His tails twitched with curiosity.

He didn't recognize these two immediately. They did have a few regulars here--persons from other worlds who made a haunt of Evelon, and who visited often to offer their advice to newcomers. These two were likely exactly that sort--newcomers.

"Welcome! My name is Desmond," he said. "This is the Evelonian Association for Interdimensional Travelers. We are an organization that caters to the needs of those who come to Evelon from other worlds. If that's the place you're looking for, well, you've found it! Err... is that what you've come for?

"If so, welcome! We have plenty of food here. This is a meetup for those who wish to discuss their situations and get advice from long-term immigrants to Evelon."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 01/22/2020 10:09 AM

"Indeed it is," said Franciscus with a smile. "I'm Franciscus Erkens. My friend and I stumbled into this place by complete accident a short while ago, and we're trying to find our footing here. Your arranged meeting was the perfect opportunity to learn more, then."

"Well, my friends and I have been here for a while," added Lucky. "But I figured it'd be nice to talk to some other creatures who'd gone through similar things. My name's Dominic. Everyone else had other things to do today, so it turned out only I could make it."

"Right," added Franciscus. "You mentioned 'long-term immigrants'? Are there a lot of those, here?" His brow furrowed slightly. He really didn't want to be stuck away from everyone else he knew for too long.
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/22/2020 3:44 PM

"Ah! I see you could use a basic rundown. Come! Grab something to eat. We have a little something for every palette." He gestured from a platterful of cupcakes, piled high with purple icing and flowers, to a bowl of trail mix with fried grasshoppers.

"Now, this world, known as 'Evelon,' is what is often called a 'crossroads dimension,'" Desmond said. "Or, er, perhaps I should start earlier. Each universe--each massive collection of stars, galaxies, and planets--is part of a greater world, a universe of universes, known as a multiverse. Certain universes are located at focal points within this multiverse, and Evelon is one of them. You see, traveling between universes is not easy. But it's easier if you go through a crossroads universe first. They're like the highways between worlds!"

Desmond was suddenly cut off by a door opening near the rear of the room.

"Speak of the devil!"

A young human man entered the room--tall and blonde, with a slight natural curl to his messy, dusty-honey hair. "What--visitors already, Dez?" he called.

"Yes! Gentlemen, this is Felix. He is one of those travelers who has the ability to pass between universes at will. He's also chosen to make Evelon his home. You should direct your questions about long-term life here to him."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 01/23/2020 12:30 PM

Franciscus started over to the refreshment table, picking up several small cracker-and-salmon snacks. Tragically, there was no caviar available, though he supposed he shouldn't be too surprised. Lucky had just grabbed both a cupcake and some meat jerky. It was nice that his form didn't have the usual canine aversion to chocolate, he supposed.

"Really? Because this is actually the third other world I've been dragged to," noted Franciscus.

"It's the first one for us," noted Lucky, already biting into a meat strip. "Though we got transformed much more completely than you did."

Franciscus blinked again when Felix entered. "You can actually control your travels between worlds? Is this a skill you can teach?"
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/25/2020 3:20 PM

((Heh. I actually considered mentioning caviar canapes, but changed my mind last minute--poor Franciscus!))

"Three other worlds?" Felix said. The young man stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Hmm. You know, I wonder. I wonder if you aren't like me--a Traveler. Someone who can travel between worlds at will."

Felix grabbed a small plate and spooned some vegetable sticks and bean dip onto it. Since he'd grown up on a farm, fresh veggies were always his favorites. "Oftentimes, we discover our ability to travel when something frightening happens to us--if we're in a car accident, for example. We feel that we've gotta get away from the danger, and... we do. We go really, really far away.

"Did anything scary or traumatic happen to you before you found your way to any of these worlds? If it did, you might be a Traveler. Heck, you might be one anyway. I might just be able to teach you," he said with a nod.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 01/26/2020 5:00 PM

Franciscus looked like he was barely holding back a laugh, though his expression was bitter. "Believe me, it definitely wasn't intentional on my part," he muttered. "I was definitely dragged to those last two worlds by someone else. Though I didn't see or hear any evidence of that when we ended up here...there wasn't anything particularly traumatic, but that place was not friendly in general."

"I don't remember any trauma either," noted Lucky. "I just fell asleep and woke up in a field with four legs."
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 01/29/2020 1:24 PM

"Dragged, huh?" Felix's eyes drifted towards Lucky. It seemed he was misunderstanding slightly--he seemed to think Lucky was the one responsible at first. But then Lucky explained his circumstances and Felix's brows creased.

Desmond decided he was through with waiting--he grabbed a small paper cup and ladeled himself up a cup of moth stew. "Your situation is definitely unique," he said to Franciscus. "It's not uncommon for people to end up in Evelon accidentally. And it's also not uncommon for those who can travel purposefully to end up here after some travel. But ending up in more than one world on accident? That's properly rare, that is."

"Yeah," Felix said, crunching a celery stick with peanut butter. "It almost makes me think someone did it on purpose... I dunno, you got any enemies?"

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 01/29/2020 1:37 PM

Lucky noticed the stare, and shrank slightly at it, turning his head away so as not to meet Felix's eyes. Even when the young man's suspicion faded, he still seemed a bit uncomfortable, digging more into his jerky to avoid having to speak more.

"I suppose you could say that," muttered Franciscus. "Mostly in my original world, though. Additionally, I actually know the identities of the ones who dragged me to their worlds, and neither of them was being particularly discerning in their selection. Though I suppose one was more purposeful than the other. They actually managed to drag in people from many different worlds, and even different times." He was still being somewhat vague about the exact circumstances, which he would prefer not to have to recall exactly at this point.
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 03/07/2020 1:50 AM

Felix noticed something off in Franciscus's manner. He seemed uneasy now. Whatever had happened to him, it clearly hadn't been comfortable, and it was making him nervous. A lot of people who ended up in Evelon for reasons outside their power were often frightened and uncomfortable, so Felix wasn't surprised. But Franciscus gave him the impression there'd been some sort of... altercation.

Desmond seemed to pick up on it as well. "Mercy. That sounds horrible. I. Er." He crept closer to the two and lowered his voice. "Do you two feel... safe? Do you need protection? If you're worried about someone coming after you, I know some people who can help."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 03/07/2020 2:45 PM

Lucky blinked a little. He supposed it'd be easier to talk about here, where psychic abilities seemed common-really the only reason he didn't bring it up immediately was because of his own traumas. On the other hand, Franciscus seemed uncomfortable as well...he waited a bit, for Franciscus to speak.

"Not at present," admitted Franciscus, shaking his head. "You don't need to worry about that." He seemed content to leave it at that for now.

"Well...in my case, my original world didn't have psychic powers as a common thing," noted Lucky. "So...there was a group that wanted to exploit the psychics they did find. But the main danger they pose is due to connections, which they wouldn't have if they showed up here." He'd rather not go into details of what Bowdler did to him, but he felt this explanation was sufficient, and he did want to take some of the attention off Franciscus.
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 03/08/2020 12:51 PM

Desmond let out a sigh of relief. "I'm glad to hear it."

Felix tilted his head towards the two. "Ah! So, you came from a Low-Mysticism World." He nibbled on a few baby carrots. "I've actually been working with one of the other dimensional travelers who works here with us to classify the different types of worlds. Yes, Evelon is a very unusual place, where many things only rumored in other worlds are true. Many crossroads worlds are like this, and we've been calling them Mythic Worlds--places where supernatural and magical occurrences are commonplace, and are part of the everyday lives of most people.

"High-Mysticism worlds have magic and the supernatural, but it usually only belongs to a certain sect or subset of the population. Low-Mysticism worlds are places where such things exist, but are often rare or hidden and may not be known to all. And Mundane worlds have none at all... I, uh. I hope I'm not boring you! I just like talking about this stuff..."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 03/10/2020 2:51 PM

"Huh," said Lucky, rubbing his chin with a paw. "I suppose it makes sense to try and classify stuff like that. Though if you want to know more about psychic abilities in detail, Martin's probably the one to ask. He did a bunch of research about that, even though a lot of the stuff he found was the kind of books that wouldn't be considered actual science." It had taken them a while to accept the nature of their abilities, too.

Franciscus' ears were much more alert, perked towards Felix as he spoke. "Do you have information on the approximate ratio of those worlds?" he asked. "Though of course that'd only be information on those worlds in relation to how many of them end up connected with this one."
Crossing my heart
Open wide
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot

I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 03/14/2020 3:22 AM

"We have no idea what the ratio is," Felix admitted with a shrug. "From what we can tell, there's an infinite number of worlds out there. Sometimes, we run into a big streak of Mythical words. Sometimes we encounter nothing but Mundanes. And we don't always have time to fully examine a world, so some we don't have a chance to classify."

"Don't you run into some you just don't know HOW to classify?" Desmond prompted.

"Yeah. We've encountered a few that... confuse us. Ones where there are strange powers that get classified by people within the world as 'science,' so the world seems Mundane, but the way these 'scientific' things operate seems entirely magical."

"I think there's a name for that," Desmond said. "Someone's Third Law or something like that."

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next