Home to a variety of cultural backgrounds, Lamenolai is a citadel city with stone walls that encompass the whole city and stone 'guardians.' It is also home to the Headquarters of the Purines, an opposing organization to the Imperialists of Lambastia. (+2 Defense, +2 Fame)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Lamenolai, City of the Guardians

Handle My Heart With Care: Part I - Meeting [M: Everything]

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:19 PM

Donovan "Donny" Hendricks
{Post Count: 1}
Current Stats
Offense: 10
Defense: 6
Precision: 6
Endurance: 11
Speed: 8
Fame: 10

With his knees pulled up to his chest, the thin, emaciated teenager seemed hardly larger than a child. His clothes were tattered, stained, and torn, and it was near impossible to tell his natural hair color under all of the dirt and grime. His eyes, which would probably be a brilliant blue when he was in brighter spirits and better health, were a dull gray, and glazed over. It was obvious that he was weak and malnourished – it wouldn’t have surprised any of the people who passed by, sparing him only the briefest of glances, if he hadn’t even the strength to stand.

On a normal day, the streets would be crowded and deafening with the hordes of people hustling and bustling to get to their places of business. Today, however, with the rain pouring down in torrents, nobody seemed willing to linger in the streets. The teenager was the only one who seemed to not be bothered by the rain. He seemed bothered by nothing, as if he were to exhausted to even worry about his own surroundings.

Part of Donavon knew that he should get up. If he were able to make himself presentable, perhaps someone might be more willing to show him a kindness that could save his life. But he was just too tired to try. Weeks of living on the streets, scrounging in garbage for half-rotten vegetables and fruits or stale bread, and sleeping on top of any vents he could find had taken its toll on the boy. He didn’t even want to try to get up. What was the point? He was beginning to learn that life was a cruel joke. If you let yourself stand up, it would just knock you down again.

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7194
Donate

Re: Handle My Heart With Care [M: Everything][Self]

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:22 PM

Donovan "Donny" Hendricks
{Post Count: 2}

Footsteps echoed nearby, but Donavon didn’t even lift his head. The hoodie that he wore would keep his face mostly hidden, and he kept his eyes carefully trained on the ground. If he made eye contact, he’d have to face another human being. In this state, he felt less than human, unworthy, and he didn’t want contact with anybody.

To his dismay, the steps began to slow as they neared him. Against all of his instincts that screamed at him not to, he looked up. Immediately he recoiled as he realized that the man hovering above him was grinning in an incredibly unwelcoming way.

“’Ey, boy! How’s about a meal for a night of company for a lonely man, eh? I may not be the most attractive of folks…” The man grinned, the spark of lust easily seen in his eyes. “But you’ll have a nice warm meal, and an even warmer bed to share with me.”

He reached out a hand towards Donavon, but Donavon scooted away desperately. “J-just leave me alone!” He cursed himself for the stutter, knowing that it made him seem weak and vulnerable. If the man before him was the type of man he appeared to be, weak and vulnerable would be exactly the type he liked.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:23 PM

Stacey Carter
{Post Count: 1}
Current Stats
Offense: 10
Defense: 6
Precision: 6
Endurance: 11
Speed: 8
Fame: 10

Stacey Carter hated this town.

He hated the fake smiles, the empty greetings. Those who called out wishes of ‘Good morning!’ or ‘Have a nice day!’ didn’t truly care whether or not his morning was good, nor his day nice. They simply wanted to appear friendly to increase their business. They were deceptive and sneaky folk, and Carter hated them. But then again, Carter hated practically everyone.

There were few people in his life that he actually held a fondness and respect for. Actually, there was only one that Carter could think of: Justus. His right hand man, the only one who had stuck by Carter even when on the run from a gang lord, Justus was the only one that Carter actually trusted. And truly, he did trust Justus with his life. While the others that he had considered ‘friends’ had turned and fled at the first signs of danger, Justus had remained to help get Carter to safety, gaining himself a nice scar from a bullet wound in the process.

No, Carter was no people person. He wasn’t the type to sit and bear idle conversation, or acquaint himself with people that he saw only occasionally. However, he wasn’t the type to stand by and allow someone to be harmed or taken advantage of. So, when he heard the cries of, “Help me! Someone, please, get him away from me,” Carter didn’t think twice. He darted down the alley, already reaching for his gun.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:25 PM

Stacey Carter
{Post Count: 2}

As he made a sharp turn towards the shouting, Carter was sickened by what he saw. A man, a bit older than Carter himself, was holding a younger teenage boy against the wall. He attempted to lower his mouth to the boys to deliver a sloppy kiss, but the boy was struggling and was able to turn his face away, the man’s mouth landing on his cheek instead.

The click as Carter readied his gun echoed throughout the alley, and the man paused to look at Carter. “Who are you?” He sneered. “Get out of here, this is none of your business. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll just walk away.”

Ignoring the man, Carter turned his attention to the teenager. “I would ask if this man was bothering you, but the answer to that question seems obvious. Instead, I’ll simply ask if you would like me to get rid of him for you.”

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:33 PM

Donovan "Donnie" Hendricks & Stacey Carter
{Post Count: 3/3}

"P-please..."

Donnie's eyes were pleading, with the slightest spark of hope in them. If this man was willing to help him, then hopefully he would be able to get away. Of course, there would be nothing to stop the man from coming back to harass him once his protector was gone, but by that time Donnie would be long gone, hidden in the mazes of alleyways. If he could just get out of the man's grasp, he would be okay.

The desperation in the boy's expression, paired with the sneer on the man's face, was all the encouragement that Carter needed. Taking careful aim, Carter held the gun ready, finger poised on the trigger. "Well, it seems obvious that the kids wants you to let him go. I suggest you do what he says. Unless, of course, you'd like a couple of scars to show off to the other poor boys you'll end up preying upon later on down the road. I'll give you until the count of three.

"One."

The man stared at Carter incredulously. "You wouldn't dare. I'm a human being! You're saving the kid here - you're obviously not heartless. You wouldn't take a shot at a defenseless man, surely!"

"Two."

Now the man seemed desperate - but he was also stubborn. He tightened his grip on Donnie, holding the younger male in front of him like a shield. "Listen here, you! I doubt your aim is perfect. You could easily hit the boy. You wouldn't risk it..." His voice was shaky, indicating that he was doubting his own words.

"Three."

The gun-shot reverberated throughout the alleyway.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2013 11:41 PM

{Post Count: 4/4}

The man screamed and went down flailing, and Donnie lurched forwards as he felt the grasp on him finally release. Too anxious to get away from his would-be-captor, he barreled into his rescuer. For a brief moment he was held in strong, secure arms, and he looked into the eyes of the man who had rescued them. He allowed himself to gaze in admiration, for the briefest of moments, into the eyes of his savior.

It only lasted probably less than a second, however, because the man was quickly pushing Donnie aside - not harshly, but firmly. Donnie blushed bright red, but his embarrassment was the least of his worries. He turned towards the fallen man, whispering, "Did you...kill him?"

The embrace, as brief as it had been, unnerved Carter. He didn't like being close to anybody, and he ran his hands over his jacket, as if to rid himself of any germs that the boy may have left on him. He stepped forward, and nudged the man's arm with the tip of his shoe. The man groaned and moved slightly, before lying still once more.

"Of course I didn't kill him." Carter said matter-of-factly. "I simply shot him in the arm, resulting in him releasing his hold on you. I wouldn't actually kill anybody." The words weren't entirely true. He had killed before, but not in a couple of years, at least...

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/04/2013 7:29 AM

{Post Count: 5/5}
Stats Up
Offense: 11
Defense: 8
Precision: 7
Endurance: 12
Speed: 9
Fame: 12

"Oh...well, okay then. Erm. Thanks for, well, you know. Saving me and stuff." Donnie suddenly began seeing spots, and he swayed unsteadily from side to side. The dull aching of hunger that he had come to ignore was suddenly more pronounced, and he grabbed his stomach in pain.

"Urgh...maybe...maybe I should sit down."

The words were barely out of his mouth when his knees buckled. He almost reached out for his rescuer, but remembering the way that he had been pushed aside the first time, he thought better of it. The impact of his knees on the hard pavement hurt, as did his hands as they were scraped. It wasn't too bad, though. Especially not when compared to the gnawing hunger pains.

Carter studied the boy, eyes narrowed. "You look half-starved," he said, earning an embarrassed shrug from Donovan. "When was the last time you ate?"

"I...don't remember." Donnie bit his lip. "But it's been a couple of days, I think."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/04/2013 7:40 AM

{Post Count: 6/6}

Carter shook his head. "Kid, you gotta get some food in you." He hesitated, but then figured that he'd already saved the kid's life. Letting him starve wouldn't really help the situation - in fact, it would have made the whole saving-his-life deal kinda pointless. He sighed. "Listen, stay right here. I'll find a food joint somewhere and...well...we'll get you some food. Sound good?"

Feeling weak and disoriented, Donovan simply nodded, mumbling something about "pay you back" and "manual labor". Then, he pulled himself into a sitting position, slumping against the wall in the same manner he had been doing before he was nearly raped.

Although he didn't quite make out what Donovan had said, the nod was answer enough. "Alright, I'll be right back. Just...stay put. I doubt the guy will move, but here, just in case." He set his gun on the ground beside the boy's leg, within his reach. "I suggest you don't use it. When he comes to, he'll probably be freaked enough that he won't want to mess with you."

That said, he headed off at a jog, hoping to find something to eat.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/04/2013 7:45 AM

{Post Count: 7/7}

It wasn't long before Carter was back. He was balancing four hot dogs in one hand, with a large soft drink in the other. The man he had shot was gone, which brought him a bit of relief - he didn't want another confrontation with the guy. However, the kid's eyes were now closed, and that worried Carter.

"Hey...kid, I got you some food. Kid?" He tapped Donovan's shoulder. When the younger male didn't respond, he started shaking him - hard. "Kid! Wake up, goddamnit!"

Donovan's eyes opened, and focused on Carter. "W-what?" He shook his head, trying to clear it. "What's the fuss about?" He started to grumble, but then noticed the food. Mouth watering, his eyes grew to about double their size as he looked up at Carter in adoration. "You...you must be some sort of angel sent to protect me." Taking the first offered hot dog, he scarfed it down in two bites.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/04/2013 12:57 PM

{Post Count: 8/8}

"Whoa, hold your horses, kid. You're gonna choke if ya keep going at it like that!" Crossing his arms over his chest, Carter leaned against the wall across from Donovan. "By the way, I didn't catch your name...?"

Busy stuffing the other three hot dogs into his mouth, Donovan replied with his mouth half full. "Donovan," he swallowed, and grinned. "But you can call me Donnie."

Carter nodded. "Alright, then, Donnie. I'm Carter."

"Nice to meet ya, Carter. Gee, I'd probably end up dead right now if you wouldn't have come along. Or...well, that guy didn't seem to have the best intentions towards me." He shuddered, but then pushed the thought away. "Thanks for the food, by the way. You're a real life safer. I'll pay you back...somehow. Maybe I could work for you? I may look scrawny right now, but once I'm being fed on a regular schedule, I guarantee that I'll do my fair share of work - and more!"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/05/2013 11:35 AM

{Post Count: 9/9}

Holding up his hands, Carter shook his head. "Whoa, hey, hold up there. I...I don't need any repayment. Consider it a freebie. Besides, I don't think I have the room for you back at my place. I've only got two bedrooms, and both of them are currently occupied."

Donavon's face, which had been smiling hopefully, fell. "Oh...I...understand." He looked away. "I guess I just thought - I don't know. You helped me, so I figured..."

"That I'd take you in?" Carter snorted. "Listen, kid. I ain't no father figure. I'm sorry that I can't help you more. If you want, I'll talk around, try to find someone who would let you stay with them in exchange for work. I'll be back tomorrow, and let you know what I find. Alright?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/05/2013 1:03 PM

{Post Count: 10/10}
Stats Up
Level: 3
Offense: 12
Defense: 10
Precision: 8
Endurance: 13
Speed: 10
Fame: 14

Shrugging, Donovan turned away. "I guess. Wouldn't want to be an inconvenience, though." He didn't know why he was so upset about this. It wasn't like it was Carter's responsibility to look out for him. Donnie just assumed that the guy rescuing him meant that he wanted to help. Apparently, while Carter did want to help, he wasn't willing to do it if it was going to be an inconvenience to him. It kind of stung, but Donnie couldn't blame him. Carter wasn't responsible for him.

Sighing, Carter started to walk away. "Sorry, kid. I'll try to find a place for you to stay, though. Just stay wherever you've been staying, and then hang out around here tomorrow. I'll come and find you. You'll be okay until then...right?"

Donovan didn't answer, just kept walking, and Carter hesitated for only a moment before turning and walking away.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/05/2013 4:07 PM

{Post Count: 11/11}

Grumbling to himself, Carter began taking the normal back roads that he did to get home. The kid had unnerved him. It had been a long time since Carter felt like someone was depending on him, and he had forgotten how much he absolutely hated the feeling.

Keeping up the pace, he tried to make it home as quickly as possible. The more distance he put between himself and Donovan, the better. He'd ask around, find a place for the kid - tomorrow. And then, he'd have Justus go and take Donovan to wherever he'd be staying. Carter wasn't a 'mean' guy, just gruff. And he didn't want to have to deal with the kid again.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Meanwhile, Donovan was hidden behind a garbage can in the corner of the alley. The sound of voices nearby caused him to flatten against the wall, keeping himself to the shadows and out of sight. He wasn't very fond of company, and didn't want to have to fight for his spot.

However, the three men didn't seem interested in Donovan, or his 'spot'. They did, however, mention a name that caused Donovan to be listening at full attention - Carter. Leaning as far out as he dared, he listened in horror as the men plotted to ambush Carter...that very night!

As soon as they were gone, Donovan leapt to his feet and began creeping after them. Carter had saved his life, even if he hadn't stuck around to keep helping. Donnie planned to repay him for his kindness.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/05/2013 4:45 PM

{Post Count: 12/12}

"Great. Just...just great." Carter shook his head, completely pissed that apparently, he wouldn't be able to take the usual way home. There was some sort of blockade in the way - probably some sort of gang activity. Carter lived well out of the way of all of it, but he passed through gang territory often to get home.

There was only one way home, now. He didn't like taking it, because he was paranoid about all of the places there were to hide along the way. Still, he had gone that way before and nothing bad had happened. He was fairly sure it would be safe. So, his guard was down as he turned that way, not knowing that the one time his guard was down, was the one time that there were men lying in wait for him.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Donovan watched as the men hunkered down in hiding places. He was in another hiding place a little ways off, close enough so that he could watch them, but far enough away that they couldn't see him. He had no idea where Carter lived, but the men spoke about a 'blockade' and 'the only way home' or something like that. It sounded as if Carter would be passing by here soon...Donovan just hoped that he could think of some way to protect him by then!

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 02/06/2013 11:25 AM

{Post Count: 13/13}

So far, so good. The journey home was completely uneventful, and he was now in the final stretch. It was a good thing, too, because it was beginning to get chilly. Carter pulled his jacket closer to his body, shivering a little bit. He was a tough guy, but nobody was immune to the weather. He couldn't wait to get home, where Justus would probably have the fire going.

Justus...Carter grinned a bit, thinking about him. Justus was the only one that Carter could tolerate all of the time. Actually, Carter enjoyed the company of the slightly younger man. It wasn't anything romantic, of course, but Justus was the only one that Carter actually considered a friend. The man was loyal and dependable, and had proven himself several times. He had the habit of anticipating whatever it was that Carter needed...which is how Carter knew that Justus would have a fire and a hot meal waiting for him.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

The sound of footsteps echoed from a short distance away. Donovan waited, hoping and praying that it wasn't Carter. He didn't want to have to fight. The image of his father's broken and battered body in his head caused him to feel nauseous. He couldn't fight...he couldn't risk hurting anybody. Donnie hated hurting people, even if only on accident.

But then again, these men were plotting against Carter. They were probably going to do more than just hurt him. And Donnie owed Carter, whether he liked it or not. He couldn't let him get hurt, not after he had protected Donovan.

Donovan made up his mind, right as Carter came into view. He would fight.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next