The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

What are we doing here...? [Self Snicky Hunt]

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 11/30/2009 5:09 PM

Kaj Kat shivered slightly. The rain wasn't coming down quite as hard, which was nice, and the sun was starting to come up. Without realizing it, he must have fallen asleep for some time during the night. Zur was awake and alert, but there was some drowsiness in his eyes, so he must have rested as well. Kaj Kat was glad the sun was finally rising, because that would mean their journey home would be clearer.

Zur looked around. They would be leaving for the cave soon, but it would still be nice if he could spot a Snicky first. Kaj Kat was finally awake, so they would be able to get going soon. He didn't want to start off too late, though, or they'd get lost in the crowds. That wouldn't be very fun.

Kaj Kat sighed and began to lick his fur. Why weren't they leaving yet? Was Zur still trying to catch one of those annoying little beasts? If he was, the Draculi would have to knock some sense into him...
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, Worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going no where, Going no where
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, No expression
Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
And I find I kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles its a very, very
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Re: What are we doing here...? [Self Snicky Hunt]

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 11/30/2009 6:37 PM

Kaj Kat sat there, wondering what was taking so long, when he heard a noise above him. Looking up lazily, he saw a familiar red and white face grinning down at him.

"Daena?!?" he cried, jumping to his feet. "What are you doing here?"

"Scarlet came home and said that you guys needed help finding the slimy thing," she said. "What was it called again?"

"A Snicky," Zur grunted. He didn't turn to look at her, simply kept his eyes on the wall in front of him. He looked like a watchdog.

The Ferrikoon slowly fluttered down, an amused expression on her face. "So you spent the night in the rain to get a Snicky? Why don't you just worship it already?"

"Be quiet," Kaj Kat snapped. "It's not our fault Wolfie wanted one so badly."

Daena shrugged. "Good point. So I guess we just wait now."

Kaj Kat and Zur nodded in unison. "Yeah. We just wait for a Snicky to come."
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Re: What are we doing here...? [P. Snicky Hunt]

Postby Indigo » 12/08/2009 8:26 PM

There was a sudden metallic snapping sound, and a large, rusted iron umbrella unfolded from one of the many useful panels in the Scorpinch's back. Her eyes glowed creepily in the cloud-induced darkness that comes with rain. Her oddly narrow claws snapped in that cliche steel-trap manner as her stinger swung pendulously, looking like a drop of molten metal.

You promised me toast, she complained.

Look, Skweema, I'm sorry. You can have some toast when we get home. How about that?The Velix blinked pleadingly at his companion. The newest addition to Ender's collection was difficult for anyone to deal with, even a robot who specialized in random, useful information. Such as how to convince a Scorpinch to help you find a gang of random crazies your landlord knows.

Skweema sighed in a rush of static and lit her eyes again, projecting a faint light to assist Inverness's eyes. Inver wasn't designed for night travel and as such had limited night vision, even though it was technically day. All darkness is the same. There. In that alley, I see something. You'd better go in first. I'm spooky enough in good light.

Inver sighed in a similar manner and scampered off in the direction of the alley. His metal claws clattered on the wet ground. More than once he tripped in the rain-darkness.

{16-1}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 12/10/2009 1:01 PM

Zur blinked as, out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a bright light. There came a sound, like metal scraping on the concrete, and he jumped to his feet, at full attention. Next to him, Kaj Kat was pushing himself back, closer against the wall of the alleyway. Daena hovered in the air, trying to stay as still as was possible.

"Who- who's there?" Zur called, not completely and totally sure of himself. He blinked, trying to see clearer. "Who are you?"
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Postby Indigo » 01/18/2010 1:37 AM

Well, that depends on how you define "who", Inver replied to the voice. He didn't recognize it from personal experience, but a quick search of his last conversation with Indigo turned up the name "Zur". I am a robot of the Velix species that goes by the name of Inverness, although I'd prefer to be called Inver. My friend, who I'm not sure you can see, is Skweema.  Skweema?

Skweema sighed again and concentrated a beam from the small lights on her tail so that she was visible to whoever Inver was talking to. Hello there. I promise I'm not going to kill you. Do you have any toast?

That metallic crashing sound was Inver's tail hitting Skweema.

I believe that, from my voice-matching and memory system, we are speaking to the parties of Zur and Kaj Kat? Inver asked. Indigo sent us out to look for you. Well, she sent me. I brought Skweema because she's got different gadgets.

{17-2}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

What are we doing here...? [P. Snicky Hunt]

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 01/18/2010 2:03 AM

Zur stepped forward hesitantly. "It's going to take a while for us to get out of the Slums. Keep an eye out for a Snicky while we're here..."

"You're still trying to find one of those blasted creatures?" Kaj Kat grumbled. Zur hit him over the head.

"It is our duty to find one," he growled. "We probably would have found one already if you hadn't run off and slowed the whole thing down!"

"Well sorr-ee!" Kaj Kat whined. He stood and shook himself, licking his shoulder for a moment before walking to stand beside Zur.
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Postby Indigo » 01/18/2010 2:12 AM

Skweema's stinger swung from side to side like a pendulum, illuminating the rain. That was some thick cloud cover. Duty, huh? I hope you're not one of those people, she said.

There was another metallic crashing sound.

Query: Is-- Inver shook his head. Sorry. I'm terrible at all that classic robot stuff. I hope you don't mind. Anyway, is there anyone else with you?

It occurred to him that this may not be the most productive way to get information. Who knew if these two would trust a pair of damp robots, especially if one of them was a species with a bad reputation? He decided to use heat imaging or whatever it was called, a reddish film covering his shockingly blue eyes. Hmm. There were the fuzzy pink-centered shapes of Zur and Kaj Kat, the slightly cooler Skweema, and--there, a hovering Ferrikoon shape, obviously trying not to move. Excuse me, could we get your name, please? Inver called.

{18-3}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 01/18/2010 2:37 AM

Daena let her breath out with a groan. She'd been trying to remain hidden the entire time because, frankly, robots scared her to the bone. She floated down about a foot and said, with a shaky voice, "My name is, er, D-Daena..."

Kaj Kat muffled a snicker as he remembered the Ferrikoons irrational fear of anything robotic. Zur rapped him over the head, silencing him.

"Well, I guess we should get going..." He began to lead the way out of the alleyway.
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Postby Indigo » 01/18/2010 2:48 AM

Skweema couldn't nod, so she bobbed her stinger in agreement and followed Zur. After a few seconds she realized that Inver hadn't moved, so she went back over to him. Look, you have to come. I'll get in trouble if I leave you here, and that means no more toast. Come on.

I wonder why she was hiding up there, Inver mumbled in as quiet a voice as he could manage. Are we really that scary, or is it just...? I wonder what might cause a fear like that... He ran the search engine for a few seconds and then opened his mouth to shout.

A flexible glass tube filled with a glowing green liquid jammed itself between his teeth. Skweema's tail. Listen, fact boy. I don't really care if you stand here until you rust--well, I kinda do. I mean, you're sort of my friend, you know. Anyway, my point is, you don't need to ask her why we bother her. It won't help. Are you going to shut up and follow me?

Inver nodded.

Good. Skweema wrapped her tail around him, deposited him on her back, and scurried after Zur. Indigo owes me a lot of toast.

{19-4}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

What are we doing here...? [P. Snicky Hunt]

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 01/19/2010 6:28 PM

Zur made his way out of the alleyway, occasionally stopping to shake water off his fur. Kaj Kat stayed close by his side, often glancing around with a worried expression.

"You're sure you know where we're going?" he asked Zur quietly.

"Yes," Zur replied, sighing. "There's no need for you to freak. Just keep an eye out for any Snickies..."

"Hmph..." Kaj Kat grumbled.

Daena hovered above them, trying not to stay too close to the ground, in case, something went wrong in one of those robots' programming or something... She shivered at the thought.
No tomorrow, No tomorrow
Mad world

Image Image
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Postby Indigo » 01/19/2010 8:38 PM

Despite the threat of death by slow poisoning, Inver was still intrigued by Daena's fear. A panel slid back, and within a few moments, he was rising off Skweema's back with the aid of a propeller. He drew level with Daena, although he didn't get too close, afraid of scaring her off.

Pardon me for asking, he said, trying to sound non-threatening, but could you please explain this fear of yours? I'd like to add it to my hard drive and maybe relay it to Menno for his files when we get home. I'm a fact collector, you know. He paused. You're not afraid we're going to go wrong, are you? Skweema and I were built specially to work properly at all times. We both have what Ender calls a "kill switch" built in--if something glitches somehow, it instantly shuts us down. There's even a backup in case that one fails. Nothing to worry about.

Skweema, by this time, had noticed that her inquisitive passenger was missing. Inver! Terrorism is bad!

Inver glanced nervously at her stinger, then back at Daena. I have a massive fact storage system. Is there anything you'd like to know?

{20-5}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 01/23/2010 6:20 PM

Daena made a strange squawking sound before abruptly falling to the ground and landing in an uncomfortable and slightly awkward position. She blinked a couple times.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, lifting herself up and turning to face the, uh, uhr... the, um... She felt woozy, but she made herself take a few steadying breaths. She turned to face the robots. "I'm sorry, I just-"

"Have an irrational fear of robots?" Kaj Kat cut her off, chuckling to himself. She kicked him.

"Shut it!" she hissed. "Anyways... he's actually right. It's because of something that happened when I was a baby. Except that I can't remember anything, which really..." she paused as her eyes darted to Skweema. "...er... really doesn't... uh... help."

Zur stopped for a moment to peer into a dark alleyway. "Do you see any Snickies?" he asked, putting one foot forward. Kaj Kat grumbled something about, "No, but I see you've gone insane," before he sat down on the ground and began licking his paw. Daena rolled her eyes.
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Re:

Postby Indigo » 01/23/2010 6:52 PM

Skweema's stinger swung over and wrapped around Inver, dragging him back and closer to the Scorpinch. I'm sorry about this, she said, prodding her prisoner with a claw. He can't help himself, I'm afraid. Fact collector. He just can't resist a challenge like finding out the causes of irrational fears. Anyway, it's no good if you can't remember. The stinger clanked against Inver's side, as if daring him to try to wriggle free.

Inver tilted his head and thought for a moment. You know... he began hesitantly. I have a memory scanner. It's specifically designed to dredge up memories buried so deep in one's consciousness that they can't recall them even with memory cues. I was thinking...

Skweema gave him a warning look.

That is, I was considering trying it out, but I don't imagine you'd want to submit to that if you're afraid of robots, Inver said hastily. Skweema blinked approvingly.

{21-6}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Wolfie_Barrow » 01/23/2010 9:14 PM

Daena shook her head and swallowed. "Sorry, er... no. I don't think so..." A very, very small (microscopic, even) voice at the back of her head whispered something about cheese, onions and exploding turkeys- WAIT, NO, SORRY, WRONG MOVIE! The voice whispered something about mind control and slavery, but she dismissed it. Sometimes her own fear annoyed her.

Zur began walking again, moving away from the alleyway. "Just remember to keep an eye out for a Snicky," he mumbled, not really paying attention to anything else that was going on. Actually, in his head he was debating whether or not to just completely give up. The side that said 'no' won. Of course, he was also having a debate on whether or not he was insane. This time 'yes' won. He sighed and shook his head.

Kaj Kat twitched slightly. This was really beginning to irritate him. "Can't we just go home instead of you going crazy-man-lady on us?"

Zur scoffed and hit him over the head but didn't say anything.
Wolfie_Barrow
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items

Re:

Postby Indigo » 01/24/2010 3:14 AM

Crazy-man-lady? Skweema inquired, confused. Does he change gender or something?

Like a clownfish! Inver cried triumphantly.

There was an awkward silence.

What? Inver demanded. Clownfish live in groups, you see, and they have a female as their leader, the rest being male. When the female dies, one of the males changes gender to replace her. Science. He paused. Why are you all looking at me like that?

Skweema leaned closer to him. Clownfish only exist in Otherworld, genius.

Oh. Right. Inver looked at his feet.

{22-7}

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext