The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: The Alpha Of The Omegas (E)(P)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:04 PM

Finally, he made it back to their clearing. He took a moment to survey it, standing between two trees where he could see the door in the rock. It was quite hidden, tucked away between some of the thickest trees in the Rainforest, and the door blended in with the foliage concealing their den. Someone would need to be looking hard to notice it. In fact, now that he thought about it, anyone within smelling distance would know they were there - fortunately the ring of trees carried a heady perfume, which helped disguise their scent outside of the clearing.

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:07 PM

Perhaps they could risk it, he thought to himself. Nobody from the slums would ever venture this far out into the rainforest, and this particular tree type seemed to repel moonlings. Perhaps they would be able to keep the Roosken here after all, if he could build a fence using some of the wood around. He would need to go to the slums to scrounge the nails, however, but he tried not to think about that. He sighed, and made his way to the door of the den.

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:09 PM

Ebele got up from her place by the bottom of the door excitedly. Borealis assumed she had heard Cassus coming, and was not disappointed when he opened the door to let the afternoon heat in.

Cassus paused in the doorway, looking at the reed basket in Borealis' hands. If she could weave a fence out of some thicker reeds, or even vines, that would solve the problem of having to go back to the slums!

"What?" asked Borealis, seeing a smile break out over Cassus' face.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:12 PM

"You've just solved my problem" grinned Cassus, as he made his way into the den to put away what he had gathered. "I found some escaped Roosken, and was wondering how to build a fence to keep them in the clearing. Seeing you weaving your baskets has given me an idea."

Borealis listened, smiling at the thought of having fresh eggs. Building the fence would be no trouble for her, provided he could gather up enough materials.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:16 PM

Ebele rubbed her cheek against Cassus' hand in greeting, then slithered out of the den door to enjoy the afternoon sunlight whilst the door was open. Borealis watched her go with a smile, which got bigger when she saw the radill stretching out in the sunshine. She preferred to keep the door shut whilst he was out, but with the two of them there they could let the light in for a while.

Cassus carefully placed the plants he had gathered in jars, ready to be sold. He also hung some herbs from the roof of the cave using the vines that were hanging there.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:19 PM

"We should see if we can find a way to label them" said Borealis, gesturing to the jars that were stacked neatly in a corner. "You know what's in them, but I don't - and some things look the same when they've shrivelled."

Cassus nodded in agreement; "I'll see what I can find to make ink - we'll need to go back to the slums for paper though." He paused for a moment, before quirking a smile. "I wonder if Kale has any more storerooms we can raid?"

Borealis laughed in spite of the fear that the male's name brought her.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:21 PM

The next four days passed in the same pattern. Cassus went out early every morning and returned laden with things to preserve in the early afternoon. Borealis spent her morning weaving the circular fence that would hold the Roosken in the clearing. Ebele was instructed to stay with Borealis, and took full advantage of the fact that she was working outside in the sun, absorbing as much sunlight as she could.

On the fourth day, Borealis greeted the returning Cassus with a finished Roosken fence and a warm smile.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:26 PM

The roosken were captured the next day, and it became part of Cassus' morning routine to gather their eggs. Borealis was looking well and had put on a bit of weight. She tried to convince herself it was merely a result of having regular food, but both she and Cassus secretly took it as a sign that her pregnancy was progressing well.

Their jars were almost full, and they almost considered themselves ready to travel. Cassus now spent his time thinking about how they would do it - Borealis could ride on the cart, but Ebele wasn't strong enough to pull both of them and all of their belongings and provisions.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:30 PM

As the season began to change, more animals began to gather at the lake close to the clearing, and Cassus' hunts began to increase in reward. As always, they tried to dry half of the meat and put it away for their journey, but the truth was that they now had plenty. If she hadn't been pregnant, Cassus may even have considered staying where they were for a little while longer.

Nevertheless, the nights were getting colder as the days went by. Cassus stitched a bunch of hides together to make a large blanket, and they huddled together under it for warmth every night afterward.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:32 PM

Cassus marvelled at how close they had been growing. It was hardly surprising, considering how they were in each other's space constantly and were the other's only companion other than Ebele.

It struck him one day that their behaviour and interaction was very like a mated couple, a thought he tried to put out of his mind. It did bring another matter to question though. How would they explain that she was carrying another male's pups whilst unmated?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:35 PM

Even in the slums, where the shadiest of activities were commonplace, people looked down on single mothers. Cassus frowned at that thought; he remembered what his own mother had gone through, and he did not wish to see Borealis experience the same.

At last, he decided on a solution - provided she agreed with him, he would mate with her. They were already close, and shared a life, and she was the only one he had ever been close to except his mother. He couldn't really imagine a life without her at this point anyway.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:41 PM

At last, the day came when Cassus deemed them to have enough provisions. They would take everything from the cave, including the woven fence - for Borealis had woven it in sections, so that it could be collapsed upon itself. They loaded the cart up with their possessions, and argued fiercely - in the end Cassus won, and Borealis was to ride in the cart, at least until they reached the city.

Ebele stood between the posts, waiting to be hitched to the cart. The radill was excited; they were off to new places, and she was happy they were bringing her along.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 3:43 PM

Whilst in the cart, Borealis checked on the Roosken. They were being transported in woven cages that she herself had made, and she wanted to make sure they were not distressed.

Cassus sighed as he loaded the last of their belongings into the cart. The road ahead was long, but they should reach Lamenolai by nightfall if they kept up a steady pace. He hoped there would be somewhere for them to stay when they got there.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/05/2016 4:16 PM

As Ebele pulled the cart out of the clearing with Cassus walking beside it, Borealis turned to look back at the cave they had called home. She felt a little sad about leaving it, but the promise of a future - for both her and her pups - was not back there. She shivered a little, and wrapped their hide blanket around herself.

Cassus looked back at her with a smile. For the first time in his life, he had hope - for all of them.

Finished - Continued in AoTO: Part B in Lamenolai, City of the Guardians.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous