The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: The Alpha Of The Omegas (E)(P)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/22/2014 11:12 AM

Cassus grinned; "We've got a few things to put in place before we carry it out, but I will protect you regardless. I'm not leaving you alone here, though; we need to find somewhere safe to hide, now that he knows this shack." Cassus paused a moment; leaving the shack he had shared with his mother hurt, but he felt like he was burning with anticipation; he wanted revenge, and he wanted out of the slums, as soon as possible.

Borealis couldn't help but begin to feel his excitement; for one thing, they were going to clear out Kale's storeroom; that would wipe the smirk off his face! But then, a thought occurred to her; "How did he know I had been in there? I didn't use the door..."

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/22/2014 11:23 AM

Cassus frowned; "I'm not sure, could someone have seen you and reported it?"

Borealis shook her head; "I checked and there was no-one around. Maybe he smelled me?"

Cassus had a sudden moment of clarity, and blushed, but he had to ask: "Could you be close to your heat? Maybe that's how he smelled you?"

Borealis blushed, but had a think; her last heat was around a year ago, and it hadn't lasted long... that could only mean... "I think- I think I'm about due; I hadn't realised... I can't smell it, myself."

Cassus nodded, seriously; he knew the risks that would arise when she went into heat; fortunately, he had just the thing to help...

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 06/22/2014 11:56 AM

"I have something that will suppress your heat; it'll take care of the urges and the scent signature, but it tastes nasty and you'll feel feverish the whole time." Cassus said, looking her straight in the eye. Borealis shivered, but nodded her head. If she didn't take it, she would be in serious danger - even Cassus may not be able to help himself.

Cassus strode to a nearby shelf, and pulled down a jar from which he took a single flower. "Eat this, and don't worry; it'll pass quicker because of the flower."

Borealis took the flower and swallowed it whole; hopefully the sooner this was over, the sooner they could get to Lamenolai, and away from Kale; the further the better.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 9:44 AM

That night, Borealis awoke with a terrible pain in her lower abdomen. Whimpering, she struggled across the floor in a daze, crawling to Cassus with tears filling her eyes. "Cassus... Help me... it hurts so much!" she sobbed, pleading that he would wake up and take the pain away.

Cassus awoke to the sound of sobbing, and instantly knew what was wrong. "Stay calm; I'm going to get you something that will ease the pain", he said, jogging over to the shelf... he should have known it wouldn't be a simple matter; that there would be complications.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 9:51 AM

Cassus hated himself for what he was about to do to her; that he was about to lie to her and keep secrets from her. There was no denying now that the other male had found her because she was carrying his pups; the flower had tried to cause an early labour, but what he was about to give her would delay her for a few more months, bringing her to term. "Take this root with a little water; it will stop the pain and end the process" he muttered, holding her head up to tip the root shavings into her mouth and letting her sip from the waterskin in his hand.

Borealis could do nothing but whimper; she didn't understand what was happening to her and the thought that this male had poisoned her, just after she had begun to trust him, was uppermost in her mind. She couldn't see any option however, and was in so much pain she swallowed eagerly, wanting it to end... one way or another.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 9:56 AM

As Borealis snoozed beside him, fever finally dropping and limbs easing, Cassus heaved a sigh. He had a choice to make; should he tie himself to this female, as her... pseudo-mate, and become a father to her pups? He couldn't just abandon them; they wouldn't make it alone... but could he even be a father, if he was the monster he suspected he was?

Borealis slept, unaware of the turmoil running through her companion's mind; the pain had finally faded, allowing her exhausted body to rest under his watchful eye. The thought had brought her a strange kind of comfort as she drifted off beside him...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 10:09 AM

The next day, they started preparing for the clear-out; the first task on Cassus' mind was finding a place to stay that was more secure than the shack. Now that he knew the truth, he knew that no amount of sneaking around would deter Kale; he ought to also have considered the fact that the slumdwellers would be more than happy to sell him out. He needed somewhere easily defended, and a little more... comfortable... than the shack; particularly as he wasn't sure when exactly she would have the pups... he startled as he heard her voice, and turned her head to face her.

For her part, Borealis felt drained, but she had made up her mind to keep up with Cassus; after all, he was doing this for her sake, and the least she could do was try not to be more of a burden than necessary. "Where should we look?" she asked, fearing the answer; there was only one place where the slumdwellers could be guarenteed to leave them alone, and though it probably wouldn't deter Kale, it was a step in the right direction.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 11:49 AM

Cassus looked into her eyes, and the strength and determination he saw there fueled his own determination; pushing the thought of the future to the back of his mind, he spoke: "We have two choices; neither of them are brilliant, but it's better than staying here. We can go further into the Tengel Rainforest, or we can head towards Baian Swamp - the choice is up to you."

Borealis suppressed a shudder as best she could; both places were known to be terrible and dangerous, and home to too many dangerous creatures to name. She heaved a sigh; for her, there was only one option; the things they needed to survive and trade were in the rainforest, so it was there they would have to go. "We'll try the rainforest then; just- please don't make me go back where... where he..." she hated to beg, but she couldn't bring herself to face that place again.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 11:56 AM

Cassus nodded his agreement; "we'll go east - there's a tangle of knotwort trees close to a cave, and we might be able to make use of their aroma as cover." He didn't mention that they were also useful for birthing pains; that would come later, hopefully after Lamenolai.

Borealis stood, and shook herself off before going over to collect the backpack - and pausing, confusedly, as she realised they would need to take everything with them. Fortunately, the shack was still sparsely furnished, but it was still everything they - he, she mentally corrected herself - owned, and most of it was essential. "What will we do about your things?" she asked; "Will we take them with us now, or come back for them later?"

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 12:03 PM

"We'll come back for most of them later," Cassus replied without hesitation; "I've packed some essentials to take with us, but most of this stuff can wait here." Even if they couldn't come back for it, he reasoned, they could get by with what they had in the pack - the main thing was to get her out of there, as soon as possible. "Come on; it'll take the better part of the morning to reach there, and we'll need all the time we have to fix it up."

Borealis nodded her head, and followed him to the door as he put on the pack; she trusted him to lead her through the forest, but still had her doubts - could Kale still follow them? She shivered as she left, and did not look back - which was fortunate, as a certain shadow remained in a corner where others did not, watching the pair leave the shack...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/23/2015 6:13 PM

They traveled through the forest, passing through the places where they normally stopped to gather food or medicinal plants. Borealis made a point to stay close to Cassus, for though she was afraid, she trusted him. Hearing a loud snapping sound come from under her paw, she cringed and looked at him apologetically; the last thing they needed was to run into moonlings - or worse!

Cassus breathed deeply to calm himself; it was not her fault she was shaken, and anybody could have stepped on that twig, hidden in the undergrowth. He met her eyes and nodded silently to reassure her that all was okay, and they continued on their path.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/25/2015 4:33 PM

Cassus entered the clearing first, keeping a wary eye out for anything that could harm them. He could feel his defensive instincts kicking in; ever since he realised what condition Borealis was in, he couldn't help but be more protective of her, which didn't really make sense in his head. The pups would not be his, after all, and she was not his mate - there was no reason for him to act like her bodyguard, and yet, he simply could not allow any harm to come to her; the way he had reacted to the invading male made it clear that he would not tolerate her being in danger.

Borealis sighed as soon as Cassus gave the all-clear; she was still drained from what that flower had done to her, and was grateful that they had reached their destination. She walked towards the small cave he had entered, and glanced back before following him - unaware that there was a shadow watching her from between the trees.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/25/2015 4:39 PM

Cassus looked around; this would do very nicely for a den, he thought, what with the way it was semi-hidden by the trees and secluded from the main paths through the rainforest. All it needed was for them to fix some sort of door at the entrance, and move their things in - his things, he corrected himself, and sighed. In his heart he knew he would probably stay with the female, but his head rejected the thought that he had got himself saddles with someone else's pups at such a young age - barely older than his mother had been, when she had him.

Borealis shivered a little; the inside of the cave was cooler than the rainforest had been, but there were cracks in the roof which let enough light in to see - which was a good thing; she would have hated it to be completely dark in the middle of the day. She laid the pack she had been carrying down on the floor beside Cassus', and strode over to where he was standing, surveying their new den.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/25/2015 4:46 PM

"We need to set up a door," Cassus said, turning his head to face her; "we don't know if anything - or anyone - will try to enter, but we can at least prepare for it. There's a river not too far from here, which is useful, and plenty of fallen trees around; wait here while I go and see if I can find a bit that's the right size."

Borealis nodded her head, and stepped aside as he left the cave. She didn't like being left behind, but their things were here, and she didn't want to be in his way - though that train of thought made her feel wretched, she was aware of how much she needed his help; especially if she wanted to evade Kale. It seemed Cassus was her only chance of escape from a life in the slums, though she was aware that she was beginning to feel more for him than a mere companion; she had no wish to feel that way, but perhaps she could leave him once they got to Lamenolai, and try to make it on her own - though the thought brought her no pleasure.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 01/27/2015 6:29 PM

Cassus hurriedly examined the logs around the clearing; he didn't want to leave Borealis alone for too long, especially not knowing how far along she was; not to mention the residents of the jungle were dangerous and varied. He chose a suitable looking one, and set to carving is with his knife, hoping to return quickly.

Borealis sighed, and sat down on the dusty floor of the cave with her back against one of the walls and her arms crossed. She was grateful that they had a new den, out of range of Kale and the slumdwellers, but she couldn't help but fear for her future; she still didn't quite feel herself, and hated her dependence upon another, however nice it was to have them around. She sighed , and stretched her back; it was no good moping and dwelling on things she couldn't change, when they had a raid to carry out and a journey to plan.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext