The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Hacks In the Slums, How Surprising [P, M: L V]

Postby Saahs » 12/24/2014 5:40 AM

Hours were spent looking over thick parchments, each one etched with startling details. Target locations and routes marked on maps, descriptions and sketches of buildings that would make one think the artist had a habit of stalking. There were two whole papers, front and back, that was nothing but what information could be fished out about his target. It seemed like someone had taken their time to collect all this information. The dedication impressed him, but it also meant that this person of interest was not going to be easy to take out.

Sasha leaned against the edge of the table, one arm tucked under the other elbow as he looked over the instructions once, twice, as many times as it took to memorise it all. His employer had done their research, as all the instructions were done in pictures. A little irksome to know somebody knew he couldn't read, but hey. Money. He was getting it. Whatever he could recall when looking up from the papers, he set those particular pages aside. One after another, until he was left with only one page of information he had not fully memorised. And then one after another, he slid them into the fireplace's glowing maw, some being crumpled up and tossed for his own amusement.

Bright red eyes flicked over to his employer. Whom seemed a little upset that he'd just burned a heap of their hard work. Folding the last parchment and stuffing it into a pouch, Sasha crossed his arms, head canted upwards. "Alright, as ve agreed. v'one fourth payment up front. If I kill zhe fucker, pay in full. If I don't--" He paused to light a cigarette and take a puff. "Vell. Have never failed before, so I do not know." A clawed hand was held out in anticipation for the keystones. The second they were dropped into his hands, Sasha marched out the door.

The exchange was nearly a week ago. A moment was taken during his trip to shred the last page of information, and a quick cigarette break made sure nothing could be identified from the burnt pieces. It was a long distance to the slums, and Sasha refused to rely on a mount. So he travelled in his kuhna form, not quite passing the height of an average human's hips. But it was faster than being on two feet, and he was stubborn. Not to mention he wasn't exactly meeting a deadline--so long as the guy ended up dead, that was all he need worry about.

As the slums came into view through the thick of the jungle, Sasha leapt forward, landing on two feet and fingertips pressing into the damp ground. He'd walk the rest of the way. Heavy boots fell into a brisk stride, weaving his way through the shabby roads and past shabbier buildings. The man he was meant to kill, whom he was told went by "Luce Worth", was some sort of doctor. It wouldn't be too hard to put on an act of being ill, not like it'd be entirely fake. The Smilokuhna marched through an alleyway and approached the third door. The knuckles of his fist rapped against the brittle wood, and then he waited.
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: Hacks In the Slums, How Surprising [P, M: L V]

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 12/24/2014 9:18 AM

The past few hours had been rather slow, so slow in fact, he could probably call it a crawl. So Luce had taken it upon himself to grab a good bottle of bourbon, sit back, prop his feet up on the desk, and relax. It's not like he had anything better to do at the moment.

That had been the idea, at least, until the sound of knuckles rapping against the door sounded throughout the room. Damn, he'd just been getting comfortable too. Setting the bourbon down on his desk, the hack folded his legs back down and stalked towards the door, opening it with a rather deadpan expression.

The image that the man at the door got was that of a tall, lanky blond man wearing some sort of strange coat. It was white in colour, long, and the collar and cuffs where lined in blonde fur. In fact, the fur collar stretched down his back until it hit his hips, a strange spiked spine emerging from it shortly past his shoulders. Even slouching as he was, Worth was at least 5'11". Needless to say, he was a bit of a strange sight.

The hack's eyes went over the shorter man standing before him, taking in the ears, the eyes, those teeth, before stepping out of the way enough for the man to enter. He seemed about as shady as the rest of his customers, which ranged from pretty damn shady to only the tiniest bit (a certain redhead came to mind). Nothing to worry about unless he tried something stupid. Most just wanted to get in, get healed or treated or whatever, and get out. This one was no different.

Worth strode back over to the desk once the cat-eared man was inside, grabbing his bottle of bourbon once more and popping the cork. "So, whaddya need?"

[Luce's official introduction to Evelon, I'm so happy!]

There's a reckoning a-coming
It burns beyond the grave
There's lead inside my belly
Cause my soul has lost its way

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 738
Donate

Postby Saahs » 12/25/2014 12:07 AM

The first thing that Sasha took in of the man was, actually, the way he smelled. Which wasn't exactly the most pleasant odour. He tried not to grunt in discontempt, but the smell was really churning his stomach. Jeez, did this guy do nothing but smoke and drink booze? And apparently roll around in cadavers. Sasha hated the scent of alcohol. All the more incentive to lop this guy's head off. The Smilo kuhna cleared his throat (and nose) as he sidestepped into the shady clinic. He had to admit, this "doc" had a pretty snazzy coat. If he didn't slouch so much, Sasha would actually be mildly intimidated. But on top of stinking, and having a slouch that would make even the most laid back of mothers gasp, it was a waste of impressive height in Sasha's book.

"Is said by friends zhat I am ill," he explained curtly with a snuff. He sure looked it. "I have no time for beink ill." His arms crossed over his chest, ears laid flat impatiently. The interior of the place smelled just as bad. At this rate, he was going to have a gag fest any moment. He rolled his shoulder, shifting the thick leather strap harnessing a large battleaxe and warhammer in place crossing over his back. Despite their weight they were easy for him to lift, but he was starting to feel like his act of being weighed down by them was a little too convincing. He pushed the thought aside with a flick of his pierced ears.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 01/08/2015 10:43 AM

Luce did nothing but observe the shorter man for a good thirty seconds, even has the other spoke. He sure as hell looked sick, that couldn't be contested. Looked a shitton paler than he should be, and it wasn't from not going in the sun enough, that much he could tell. Judging by the fact that he could carry both that battleaxe and warhammer with relatively no problem (sure, the guy looked a little weight down, but not enough for the weapons to be a problem. Not yet.), whatever he had didn't affect him too much. Just enough to be annoying. And hey, if it meant he got paid, that's all that mattered, right?

Luce took a quick swig as the man finished up and corked the bourbon before turning around and searching his desk (and the rest of the room) for what he needed. "Based off yer shit, ya look like a mercenary of some sort, so I'd hafta agree with ya. What symptoms are ya showin'?" he asked, sliding a stethoscope around his neck as he turned to face the Smilokuhna once more.

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 01/08/2015 1:00 PM

Sasha eyed the bottle with a brief grimace of discontent. No wonder you smelly, dude. "Vell first," he barked, jutting a finger over his shoulder to point accusingly at his weapons. "Zhese should not be give me any problem to carry." The Smilokuhna crossed his arms again. "You are correct that I am a mercenary. And as of such zhose are needed. To not be a burden to me." Explaining all this in a foreign language was pissing him off all the more. "Zhen am havink cough fits und hard of breathink."

{Teeny weeny post I'm sorry -lies down-}

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 01/08/2015 10:26 PM

Someone wasn't speaking their first language, were they? What an accent. Not like Luce had room to talk himself, but that wasn't the point. Blue-grey eyes merely followed the mercenary's hands as they gestured while he talked, staying silent until the man was done. Short of breath and coughing fits, huh? That made sense, given the guys appearance. Fatigue could be tacked on too, judging by how his weapons were weighing him down, even slightly (something was off about that..) and the dark circles around his eyes. As if he had room to speak.

"Don't suppose ya got a history of asthma, do ye?" he asked. Best to rule out what he could right now, see what the merc's medical history could explain away, and then examine him. Or, y'know, do all that at the same time because he was an efficient man and people could suck it. "Aight, I can do most'a this without ya havin' t'do much, but armour's gonna hafta come off for some shit."

{Hrk, this post is crap, I'm sorry.}

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 01/09/2015 6:43 AM

Sasha gave the man a long hard squint. It almost look like he'd caught a whiff of something even worse smelling than anything inside the room. Then he shook his head with a frustrated grunt. "AthbmthpthVHAT." The unfamiliar word, apparently was offensive. Or at least it seemed that way given the look on his face. "I have no know'v'ink of vhat zhat is?? So I know not??" As the gangly man went on, the merc's eyebrow raised. He was getting pushy there with the armour. And that wouldn't bode well for, well, killing him. "Pff, fine fine."

He unbuckled the warhammer first, shrugging it off a shoulder along with the hefty belt it was fastened to. It was the heavier of the two, and he'd managed with only one weapon plenty of times before. So he could do it again now. Keeping the giant skullbasher from hitting the floor with a resounding thud proved useless. It felt even heavier in hand than it had over his shoulder. More so than he thought it ought to be even if he were sick. Sasha paid it little mind as he slid the axe off his opposing shoulder. This time, he was extra careful. No need to chop of anyone's toes by accident, right? He bent down with the weapon to set it on the floor, and froze. The burning sensation in his stomach had rose, and was now in his throat. Shit--

And there was his breakfast on the floor.

The berserker stared at his own bodily fluids, bedazzled and taken aback. That hadn't been an act, he was fairly sure. Oh shit. "... Zhat vas not vhat I meant to do." The words were mumbled, and his mouth felt a little numb. Not to mention it now tasted downright gods-awful. Which, on top of the place's smell and the sheer fact that this "doctor" looked like he never bathe, somehow pissed him off. He didn't move yet, appearing as if he were still shocked by what just flew out of his mouth. How close was the guy? Close enough he could feasibly turn and swing at him. The desk was to his left, so a clockwise swing would be optimal. Two, one...

The Smilokuhna whipped around with a monstrous bellow, both hands grasping the axe's handle and giving a tremendous swing. The ruse was all but up now. It was time to kill him some smelly hacks.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 01/09/2015 7:31 AM

"'S a disease, sorta, tha' causes chronic shortness of breath, ye dipshit," the hack explained, rolling his eyes as he did so. So maybe the shorter man hadn't understood because he wasn't speaking his native tongue. Did Luce give a crap? Nope. One of the many reasons he was an asshole. "Good."

Luce waited "patiently" as the Smilokuhna began removing his weapons. He had to admit they were impressive looking (not fancypants impressive, but who wanted that?). The fact the smaller man could carry them both was impressive as well, especially given how sick he looked.

He raised an eyebrow when the mercenary froze in the process of setting his battleaxe down. What the fuck was he doin--Welp, that answered that question. There was now a puddle of ech on the floor. Fucking fantastic. That he'd have to clean up. Dirt and dust were one thing, vomit on his floor was an entirely different monster. As the other man mumbled, Luce just grumbled under his breath about having to clean the floor now and "maybe I'll get Mont to do it." Hah, yeah, like that was gonna happen.

The hack was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of a bellowing roar and just barely missed being vivisected by that battleaxe by sliding himself across his desk. Well if the Smilo hadn't verbally confirmed his status as a mercenary, this sure as hell did. Who was after him now, jeez? "Well tha's no way t'treat yer primary physician."

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 01/11/2015 7:04 AM

Sasha had snarled in the back of his throat at the insult. Now he had his own incentive to kill this smelly shit for shits. One of the things he hated most was being called stupid or anything similar. Only he was allowed to call himself stupid, dammit! But the merc said nothing in retaliation as he lowered down to remove his weapons. "Sure, sure ve vill go vith zhat." It was close enough sounding to him, given three fourths of the time something made it hard for him to breathe.

There was no telling if any flecks of sick got on his armour or himself. But the purpose of this visit was not to dress and impress, it was to kill and get paid. So at the moment, Sasha wasn't entirely worried about checking his appearance now. But the man's ever so casual reaction (and a very theatrical move to avoid getting chopped) told him that this wasn't the first time he'd dealt with bounty hunters. That was something Sasha had been hoping wasn't the case. But at the same time, it meant there would be an actual struggle, an actual fight. That, he could definitely get behind even when faking sickness on top of actually being sick. And hey. If he got sick again, as nasty as it'd be, he could try aiming for Worth's face. Huhe.

The Smilokuhna didn't reply to the light remark, other than with a derisive snort. He wouldn't consider this clown his secondary physician even if he had a first to begin with! And it'd help if he knew what half of those words meant. He lunged over the desk towards the knockoff doc, slashing with the axe in an upward crescent motion.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 01/11/2015 8:11 AM

Ooooooh, looked like someone didn't like being called stupid. Welp, too bad, sonny boy, Luce Worth is an equal opportunist insulter. Everyone gets equal treatement. Everyone is stupid. Everyone.

Yet again, the doctor just barely missed being sliced by the battleaxe, moving just in time to avoid being nicked (and worse) by it. Apparently someone liked to cut it close, at least that's what Worth was doing so far. His movements were fluid and practiced, like he spent an awful lot of time dodging punches and weapons alike.

The snort made him grin a little bit. As did what looked to be a fun fight, if an easy one. Sure, he was getting sick and fucking tired of having people sent to kill him, but a good fight was a good fight. Hopefully this would shape up to be one. As Luce slipped a scalpel out of his pocket and got ready to dodge yet another swing, he piped up again, "So who th'fuck wants me dead now?"

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/05/2015 10:45 AM

The Smilokuhna gave another swing as he pursued the so-called doctor. Then another, but he didn't give a full swing but rather thrust the head of the axe forward in an attempt to ram it into Worth's gut. Sasha caught on fast that this guy had obvious experience with avoiding getting hit. Yes, he already knew that just from his employer. Still, realising it in a more one-on-one setting frustrated him.

What even annoyed him more, was the fact he had to grasp the weapon with both hands just to keep it steady. Did he look like a two-hander? No siree, he was a dual-wielder through and through and this was an insult to his repertoire. Sasha barked and growled after each attack wore him out more than the last. Eventually, he just opted to let the axe fly right out of his hands. Maybe he'd have better luck clawing this fucker's eyes out!

"Fuckin' Santa Clause, ya glorified tothpick!" He didn't care to remember his employer's name, so some fat guy with a bunch of mooses or something would have to do. "Vhassit matter, some'v'one v'wants ya dead an' yer makin' my job reeeaaally hard."

No, it had nothing to do with the fact there were splotches of black dancing about his vision. Nothing to do with that at all.

[[TEN YEARS LATER jfc i'm sorry]]

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 08/05/2015 12:06 PM

The first two swings were easily dodged, just as the last few had been. What he hadn't quite expected was the sudden change from swinging the axe to just outright hitting him in the gut with it. Luce grunted and wheezed from the impact, skittering away at the first opportunity to avoid being sliced in half. Now this was more like it. At least it proved the runt could actually fight.

"What's th' matter, shortstack? Bit off more than ya can chew today?" he sneered joyfully at the merc, as he thrusted forward in an attempt to bury the scalpel somehwere, being sure to mind the weapon swinging at him. Looks like someone had severely overestimated their immune system, if the obviously increasing effort to swing the axe was anything to go by. Whoopsie do.

Oh he hadn't heard that one before. Nope. Not ever. "Last time I play poker with tha' ungrateful fatass." You just couldn't find good poker partners anymore. Tsk tsk tsk.

"Oh yes, let me just lie down here while ya gut me. We'll have cakes an' everythin'." Oh boy. Claws were out. Looks like someone was getting fed up. Worth took the opportunity to sprint down a hallway, deeper into the building. While yes, he loved a good fight, this was also the kind of fight he didn't want occurring in his clinic. He put in a lot of hard work for this place, some mercenary wasn't going to tear it down. Having multiple built in escape routes didn't hurt either. "C'mon, kitten, this way~!" he sing-songed back at the Smilokuhna. "Ya givin' up already? 'S disappointin'."

(Guuuuuuhhh, this post is shite.)

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/05/2015 12:48 PM

Sasha didn't respond to the snide remark, roaring in the back of his throat instead. The scalpel found a spot between his armour to make itself comfortable. It didn't register that it hurt immediately and he twisted to try and break Worth's grip from the scalpel. Sure there'd still be a FUCKING SCALPEL in his side, but there would be benefits! No more weapon for mister tall stank and greasy, and he'd be less likely to bleed out of the wound if it was occupied.

"I ain't short yer just a fuckin' oak tree's embarrassin' cousin!" Oh no he did not like being called short. You do not call him short and expect to live through it. He was going to make sure the doc didn't play poker with any one ever again. Whatever the hell poker was.

He snorted derisively and reared back to bless Luce with a solid kick. "No fun in zhat, unless yer jus' zhat lazy." As exhausted as he was getting, Sasha found no pleasure or honour from killing a prone opponent. In most circumstances, at least. In this one, it would just be boring - he wanted to flay Worth for the slew of insults. Wait where was the sentient cigarette going now? Sasha staggered as he turned to follow Worth, teeth bared in bemusement. And then he said the thing.

He called Sasha a kitty.

Sasha halted dead in his tracks, staring Worth down the other end of the hallway. His erect ears slowly relaxed, and the hostility in his posture and expression faded. "Kitty?" Oh no he did not. "I'm a kitty, eh?" He lofted a brow as he took a half-step back, ear twitching. Then he shrugged and turned away.

Right into the good doctor's kitchen.

"'S zhis your fridge?" he called, approaching said fridge. He opened it wide and eyed its contents. So he was a kitty? He'd show Worth a kitty. Whipping his head around to stare Worth down, or in the direction he was, Sasha reached a clawed hand in the fridge. And proceeded to raise hell.

CLANG! CLINK! CRSHSHSHKNK! Rest in peace, alcohol. You will be soberly missed.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Lilith Michaelis » 08/05/2015 4:56 PM

Luce smiled as the scalpel hit home, happily wedging itself into Sasha's armour. Stabbing someone's always a satisfying feeling. He made to remove it when a certain someone tried to break his grip. Y'know what? Fine, keep it. He allowed his fingers to uncurl from the handle, grip broken. He had more where that came from anyway.

"Tha's a horrible case of denial ya got goin' there, ye should get it checked out." Not short, who was this guy kidding? Yes, Luce was tall, but this little bean would only come up to his waist on a good day. If that.

And blessed with a kick he was. Of course, that gave him a good running start too, but it's the fact it landed that counts. He ignored the lazy comment for now, though, honestly, no one should ever underestimate Luce Worth's ability to be lazy. Tales were told of it, it was so legendary--Okay so that's a lie. Down the hall he shot, looking behind him to make sure the mercenary was falling him.

...Wait. What is he doing?"

...Well his insult had certainly upset the Smilokuhna, that was certain. Or....maybe not. Why was he suddenly relaxed? Why wasn't he following? Why was he headed towards--NO. Luce zipped back down the corridor, skidding to a halt just inside the kitchen. "Don't you fuckin' dare. Don't fuckin--!" His eyes widened as they met Sasha's.

Oh now this was personal.

"YOU LIL' SHIT!!" the hack barked, launching himself at the mercenary. No one ever messes with his booze. No one.

Lilith Michaelis
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/06/2015 2:16 PM

"OH MAN LOOK AT ALL ZHESE BOOZES. ZHIS V'ONE LOOKS PARTICULARLY A'SPENSIVE!" The mercenary yanked the bottle in question, then made a display of tossing it over his shoulder. "Alleyoop!" CRASH. Then he grabbed another, but rather than smashing it, made a break for the front room again. As he ducked out of the way of Worth, he swung the bottle up for his pointy-nosed face.

Whether it landed or not, he faltered in his flight as the burning sensation in his gut rose. Oh come the fuck on. But then lightning struck his fury-driven mind. Sasha bolted for the doctor's front desk, ripping a file cabinet open. "V'well don't zhese look important," he quipped. "V'would be a shame if - uh oh, oh no not again - " As he gave a most theatrical cry of alarm, Sasha keeled over the files and hurled on them.

He couldn't land enough hits on the guy, so it was time to get him into a state of blind rage. Coughing and standing upright, he stared Worth down with a venomous smirk. "Bring it on, Smell-alot." The Smilokuhna still had a tight grip on the bottle, or whatever was left of it. He waited for the inevitable attack from Worth and positioned himself in a defensive stance.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer