The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

I'm Fallin' Deep Into A Pit of Vipers [M:E][Ari/Zap]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 03/15/2016 12:09 AM

Black Mamba was still a rather small little group, to be perfectly honest. It was mostly people that Jadyr had plucked from the streets, the docks, unsavory positions, or just... his friends. Like Tobias. After Emille, the group had moved much closer together... which had wound up with every member sharing Jadyr's home. There was Rayzer - the fighter-turned-savior, merc-for-hire brunette who crashed on the couch every now and again when he wasn't sleeping on the floor. There was Nathaniel, too - not exactly a troublemaker, but part of the family nonetheless. The 'camp medic' as it were. And then... there was Tobias. Ah, Tobias. He had the run of the place. Right now, though - he was curled up on the couch with with blanket tucked over him, bandaged up from head to toe.

He wasn't the only one relaxing in the main room. A large oversize chair had been set up for Jonah, who was curled up on it, sporting more bruises than a boxing match loser. Both he and Tobias had been through the wringer, and - while Tobias was taking it in stride, and pretty much good-natured about the whole thing... Withdrawal was starting to make Jonah highly unsociable, and more than a little snappish. However, that particular side of this withdrawal seemed to completely miss Jad. When Jadyr was around, Jonah was a little kitten.

At the current moment, Nathaniel was in the kitchen, checking on what they had in terms of dinner material, and considering... as dispassionately as possible... the issue that was a badly wounded member in need of rest, and a new recruit who needed to forcibly get clean enough to treat for other things.

"Hey Jadyr! Can I talk to you in the kitchen?" Nate called out into the living room. "It's kind of on the important side, and I... would just as soon handle this immediately."
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Re: I'm Fallin' Deep Into A Pit of Vipers [M:E][Ari/Zap]

Postby zapdragon555 » 03/16/2016 6:26 PM

Jadyr had been flipping through some old magazine that he'd swiped from Tobias' room (for he was no saint, even if Tobias was injured), when Nathaniel called. He stopped nudging his foot against Tobi's, and glanced up, sighing through his nose. "Sure, Nate," Jadyr called, flipping the magazine closed. It hadn't really been that interesting, anyway, but it had been something to pass the time that wasn't talking. Jonah didn't really seem up for talking much, that day, and he respected that.

Jadyr got up with a grunt, laying the magazine on Tobias' leg and reaching out to gently ruffle Jonah's hair as he passed, an affectionate glint in his eye as he smirked at the boy. "Holding up alright?" he asked in passing, to both of them really, though he was turned to Jonah when he said it. After some stalling he finally made his way into the kitchen, poking his head in and giving the blond medic a curious look. "What's the deal?"

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 03/16/2016 8:11 PM

"The 'deal', boss... is that Tobias is out of commission, you brought an addict home from a simple hangout, and apparently there's a serial killer out there who has all our numbers." He crossed his arms. "All of which I'm able to overlook - but there is the serious issue of that addict, when he's able, getting out of that chair, or out of his bed, and finding the stashes we have around the place. You're a dealer, Jadyr. There are illegal substances all over this house, and if Jonah finds them... there goes his recovery." He leaned against the counter backward, arms still crossed. "Whether or not you decide to deal here, or elsewhere, you're going to have to find somewhere to put those things where he's not going to find them. I already took a 'lollipop' out of his hands. You left a whole bag of them on the kitchen counter this morning. As well as a bowl of 'sweets' for selling later. Which I put up into the cupboard higher than Jonah's reach. He's at a critical stage in withdrawal where he's going to stick anything in his mouth to get a fix. If one of those happens to be one of your 'candies' - you just ruined six days worth of work for all three of us. I have to get him clean, before I can treat his heart, his lungs, his guts, any of the myriad of mental issues..."

He gave Jadyr a hard look. "I'll keep removing stashes when I find them, but I would HIGHLY suggest you stop making the candies. At least until I'm sure Jonah has some self-control, and he's over the first couple of hurdles. Thankfully, he hadn't licked that 'lollipop' as he didn't really know what it was. But there are things here that could hurt him. Tobias isn't an addict, so I'm not so much worried about him. Rayzer knows to leave things alone, and me? I can't stand the thought of that shit in my body - but Jonah's a different story. He's another chapter to this book you're writing yourself. YOU need to figure out how to keep him out of shit, and if that's stopping dealing? That's up to you."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 03/18/2016 10:48 PM

Jadyr had to fight down the initial urge to make some pun about 'so the deal is about dealing.' He couldn't help being in a good mood, despite everything. At Nathaniel's news, however, the cheeky joke quickly died in his throat, his amber eyes flickering as they darkened. "Nate," he said slowly, a sternness in his voice now. "You can't fucking say we quit dealing. It's what we do. It's our main source of income, and it's a lot safer than doing dirty work for stuffy-ass businessmen with too much power." There had been a time before when the first few members of Black Mamba had been something like hitmen, but it had been dangerous, and largely unprofitable considering the risks.

Jadyr's tense shoulders sagged slightly, and he sighed heavily through his nose. "I get it. You're working your ass off to help Jonah get back on steady ground, and I appreciate the hell out of you, man." He rubbed the back of his neck, a grimace on his features. He was silent for several seconds, then made a noise half between a growl of frustration and a sigh. "Alright. I'll stash the stuff somewhere else. I've got a place... it's stupid, but I've got a place."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 03/19/2016 10:52 PM

"Good." Nathaniel said, opening the fridge, and handing him one of the 'instant breakfast' shakes that he'd made earlier. He was trying to get everyone to eat healthier. At least these shakes weren't awful. They tasted like bland chocolate milk. "Next order of business is... Rounding up more members. I know Rayzer is good with pain, and Tobias - obviously - likes the work on the side... but just last night I patched up Ray for things he should have been able to dodge, and Tobias comes home like this... Emille or not, recruitment needs to happen if you want anyone to have any chance at all at surviving until Christmas." He eyed Jad a little, and retrieved a shake for himself. "Dealing or not - we have other lines of business that really require more than five members. If he wasn't batshit himself, I would suggest Emille. He sounds capable, if... well, more than a little insane. And there are others I can think of."

He leaned back against the counter again, sipping the drink. "We also need to discuss dates for annual checkups. If I'm going to keep records in order, I need to have some records to keep."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 04/01/2016 4:31 PM

Jadyr wrinkled his nose slightly at the shake that was pushed into his hands, but he didn't complain. He knew by now that it was better to go along with the medic's advice, since it usually turned out for the better, much to his chagrin. He listened to Nathaniel chatter on as he sipped at it, then decided sipping was a stupid idea because he'd finish it slower, and took to taking a few gulps of it. It was a good thing he'd swallowed when Nate mentioned Emille, or the medic would likely be covered head to toe in spat-out chocolate energy drink right then.

"What the fuck?!" he snapped at Nate, certainly loud enough for the two in the other room to hear. "Listen--" he stammered, wiping his mouth and jamming a finger at Nathaniel's throat. "Don't you ever joke about that insane fucker joining us. Don't even joke. Makes me wanna strangle something," he muttered, backing off a little as he realized that he was probably overreacting, and that yes, the two recovering members in the back could definitely hear him. "As for the others... sure. I'm willing to hear what you have to say, as long as it doesn't involve that shithead." It was like he couldn't even bring himself to say the killer's name. "And sure, do whatever. That's smart, at least," he muttered, picking up the drink again and sipping at it, cutting his eyes away to the floor. He felt a little ashamed for his outburst, but he wasn't going to budge on this issue. Frankly, he was still floored that Nate would even consider it.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 04/03/2016 12:02 PM

"Alright. Alright. It was just an idea. A frivolous little thing that was in the back of my mind. Jeez." He uncrossed his arms, and stood, headed over to the fridge, and picking out a bottle of water, and handing it to the leader. "Whatever the case... Rayzer's on his way back, and I'm pretty sure Jonah and Tobias could use some rest, so..." He took a bottle of water for himself. "Whenever you want to discuss those appointments, it should be after those two get a good two or three solid hours of sleep." Canting his head toward the other room, he noted that Jonah had slipped back off to sleep, and Tobias was well on his way there, watching something on his mobile, eyelids drooping.

"You should go meet up with Rayzer, and take care of any wounds he's got - find out what he's got to say." His head canted again, to one side. "Take a first-aid kit with you."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 04/16/2016 7:47 PM

Jadyr still seemed a little on edge, no matter how 'frivolous' this idea of Nathaniel's was. He graciously took the bottle of water, glad to wash the odd energy drink out of his mouth, but he couldn't keep the small scowl off of his face at the thought of ever even seeing that Emille guy again. "Mm. Alright," he murmured, nodding his head. "So you're saying I should make myself scarce and not bug them?" He grinned slightly, the joking tone in his voice easing the tension out of his shoulders. "I gotcha. Kit's where it usually is, right?"

Once he'd retrieved the first-aid kit, Jadyr walked by Jonah, taking a glance at the sleeping young man with an affectionate look in his eyes. He then passed by Tobias, pausing to lightly ruffle his hair in passing, knocking the mobile phone with a finger. "Get some sleep, dork," he whispered in passing trying to put himself in a halfway decent mood for Rayzer as he stepped out the door. Having a bad attitude around the guy never sat well with Jadyr--but he was too proud to admit he was scared shitless by the mercenary.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate