The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: A Sordid Reward [P, Ari] [M:E]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/29/2016 12:23 AM

Emille paused for a moment to think, after she had finished asking. Finally, he nodded his head, and stroked his chin. "Full permission granted, then. Both of them have eluded me for a while now, trying to figure out what it was that I could do for them. Ten put a halt to my experiments quite suddenly by growing very ill, and I was unable to discover the cause. One is... Well, he did well for a while, and then went suddenly downhill. I hadn't even begun my experimentation. Which is a shame, because he's a perfect candidate for deprivation-studies. Obviously, I couldn't begin that testing with him in the shape he's in. Yes, you may work with both of them. I'll go downstairs and bring them up to this room. You may take them home if you wish. I will ask that you allow me to remove the bar in their legs if that's going to be the case. I doubt they will run from you, and doubtless you have your own method to keep them contained."

He stood up from the chair. "Go ahead and prep while I get them. I'll assist. Anything you would like to do, I will help you. For these two, you are now the boss - and I will obey whatever you wish to be done without question." He saluted her, before turning around and heading downstairs to grab the boys.
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/29/2016 12:37 AM

If Zerissa was surprised that she had been granted permission to work with both Aura and Ten, she didn't show it as she walked to the two hospital beds, making sure that they were in position and locked in place.  When he said that, if she wished to take them home, he would need to remove the bar from their legs, she said, "I, ah... would ask that you go ahead and do that, anyways.  In order to properly examine Ten's infection, the bar would need to be removed."

Once he left, Zerissa went around the room, gathering various things she would need--the stethoscope, monitors, gloves, and some disinfectant.  The first manner of business once the boys were up here would be to get them comfortable.  Once they were comfortable, and hooked up to the monitors, she could better assess the attention that they would both need.
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/29/2016 12:45 AM

It didn't take too long for Emille to come back into the room, guiding/carrying a mostly-unconscious Ten, and leading a staggering Aura. The man wore a worried expression. "I hadn't noticed that Ten's fever was so high." he murmured, setting him down on the chair in the middle of the room, and turning it into a table with a switch underneath. He would definitely need to be seen to first, as his foot was now swollen considerably more than it had been when Zerissa had been down there - that was to say, not at all. Now, it was nearly one-and-a-half times it's normal size, and the area around the bar was hot to the touch. It seemed as though the infection had grown worse in the space of the two-ish hours that Zerissa had been away from the cages.

Once he'd set Ten down on the table, he guided Aura to the bed that Zerissa indicated, and settled him in - locking the remaining chain to the side of the bed to get it out of the way, and keep Aura in one place while they tended to Ten. Emille never figured he'd be doing actual medical work... Perhaps this was a good thing. After all, his research was mostly focused around the body - actually mending one was... intriguing.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/29/2016 1:09 AM

When he brought the two boys in, Zerissa turned, but when she saw the state of Ten's foot, she went to the chair-table and examining the foot.  She put on a pair of gloves first, and then, she tentatively touched the foot.  Noting that it was decidedly hot to the touch, she looked around the bar.

"We're definitely going to need to remove this bar," she said.  "The question is, how will we get it out?  Obviously, if we can avoid costing Ten his foot, that would be best," she said.  "We need to hook him up to an IV, probably--get some fluids in him, and some antibiotics, too.  A monitor also wouldn't be a bad idea, keep an eye on his heart rate and blood pressure... we also need the crash cart handy," she said.

Looking at Ten, she said, "Listen--I need you to nod if you understand what I'm saying.  Also, I may need to ask you some yes-or-no questions, so I'll need you to nod if your answer is 'yes', and shake your head if your answer is 'no'.  You have a pretty bad infection in your foot.  We're going to try to make it better, okay?  We're going to get you set up with monitors so that we can monitor your vitals."  She looked up to Emille, waiting until Aura had been situated in the hospital bed.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/29/2016 1:50 AM

Emille wheeled over the monitors, and hooked the crash-cart with his foot to pull it over, moving over to switch on the overhead light so that Zerissa could get a better look. The boy's leg was red and angry all over, lines of infection spreading from the site of the inserted bar. Emille looked... considerable guilty and considerably concerned. "I... believe this is my fault." he said very quietly. "I had used that bar on another subject before this. I... had thought I cleaned it thoroughly, but there is a very slight chance that a particle from the other subject may have remained on the bar. ... If that's the case, this is entirely my fault." He sighed, and reached up to do something very unusual - rest his hand against the boy's forehead. "I'm so sorry, Ten." It was also the first time he'd apologized.

Regardless, he drew back, and retrieved a stabilization splint to hold the foot in such a position that they could see exactly where the infection was, and how to deal with it. Ten's foot wasn't looking good, but it did still have blood-flow, and might still be saved. Emille didn't want to butt in, but he knew the bar had to be removed, or else Ten had no chance. He borrowed the numbing agent from one of the boxes on the crash-cart, and started the delicate surgery.

When he'd inserted the bar, he hadn't been thinking about infection, nor had he been considering the state of the bone into which he'd inserted the bar. Once he judged that the numbing agent had taken effect, he started right along the line of strongest infection, and sliced into the leg deep enough to cut off the infected skin. Blood welled up, and - belatedly - Emille remembered he should have set up a blood bag and IV. He hoped Zerissa would pick up his slack, because if he stopped now, the infection would travel further into the incision, and then there would be no hope of saving his leg.

Buckling down in concentration, he carefully cleared away the infected tissue to expose the whole wound, and switched tools to a drill to very carefully start removing the bar from the bone. It was slow-going, and he really didn't notice whether or not Zerissa was still there. SAVING this boy was even more difficult than experimenting on him had been. He had to be careful not to nick blood-vessels, and this took a far more laser-focused kind of targeted attention than even Ildor's surgery had. It was challenging. Interesting. Above all, was the pressure on him to get this right. If he didn't, Ten died.

Once he had a large enough space around the bar on both sides of the bone - which almost broke it in two - he carefully, carefully extracted the large piece of very thin rebar with forceps, and eventually dropped it on the tray. He had to replace that lost section of bone... or Ten would never walk. Wracking his brains as he cleared out the rest of the major infection, he suddenly had a lightbulb moment. "Wait! I have it! Zerissa, keep him stable, I'll be RIGHT back!"

Quickly, he tore out of the room and into his storage tanks, pulling out a long-forgotten box, and opening it. It had been chilled to keep the tissue alive. Inside, he remembered he had synthetic bone. Specifically, a set of leg-bones. It was made out of that same clear material, only much more hardened to give it the appearance and consistency of clear bone. If he could remove the section of Ten's bone that was damaged, and replace it with this... it would be enough. He quickly put the bone back, and hefted the box into his arms. Never had he been this... EXCITED before. It was very strange, and something he would have to examine later.

"Zerissa, I have an idea. Go ahead and clear out as much of the infection as you can, and give me the bone-saw. I'm going to cut him a section of new bone."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/29/2016 10:29 AM

Zerissa drew in a breath and ran for a face mask, grabbing one for herself and one for Emille.  As Emille cut into the line of the strongest infection, she dashed for the supply of blood bags.  Grabbing one that had been labeled Type O--she didn't know Ten's blood type, and wanted to be on the safe side--and an IV bag, which she hung up and ran lines from, taking IV needles from the crash cart.

"You might feel a couple of pinches, and once I open the IV line, you'll feel a little chilly.  Don't worry, we're going to help you," she told Ten calmly, taking a disinfectant wipe and looking for a suitable vein to insert the IV into.  Once she had found one--which had not been easy--she wiped the area down and, bunching up the skin and what muscle she could, she inserted the needle quickly, taping it in place.  This line, she attached the blood bag to.  She moved over to the other side and did the same thing, but this one, she attached the IV to.

When Emille tore out of the room, Zerissa was admittedly curious.  However, she didn't waste any time turning her attention to both the foot and keeping Ten stable--she took the cord from the monitor and attached the pulse monitor to the boy's index finger.  Soon, the monitor came to life with a steady--if not fast--beeping, and a readout of his heart rate.  When Emille came back into the room and asked for the bone saw, Zerissa gave a nod.

"Bone saw, coming up," she said, dashing for the bone saw.  Once she grabbed it, she walked hurriedly over to Emille, passing him both the saw and the mask.  "I'll work on clearing what of the infection I can.  He's holding, for now.  Let's hope that his body will accept the new bone," she said, returning to Ten and placing an oxygen tube in his nose.  She placed a gentle hand on his forehead, and then, she ruffled his hair slightly.

"Hang in there, okay?  You're doing good so far."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/29/2016 7:02 PM

Ten was as relaxed as he was going to get, and his breathing was coming in harsh pants still. Even so, when his leg was all cleared out, it looked so much better. The swelling started to go down a little bit, too - even though the infection was still racing through him, and he was still suffering with the massive fever. Emille worked as quickly as he could, matching the shapes of the missing bone to the hunk of bio-synthetic bone on the other table, carving it with the bone-saw so that it would be a nearly-perfect fit. The man had been doing this for years, and was good at matching things - he was also quick. It was less than twenty minutes before he had the perfect shape, and started to seal it into place with more of that transparent gel he'd used on Ildor - this time, though, the stuff would act as adhesive to the new bone-piece. When he was done, the boy had a new hunk of translucent bone in place, and Emille was hovering over him to make sure it adhered, before he even began to close up his leg. This was his fault. He'd take responsibility for the entire surgery.

Emille finished just before it struck midnight on the clock inside the main area. The chime startled him out of his rapport with the sutures, and almost resulted in him sewing one of his fingers. Even so, he felt like he had done something worthwhile. Hands still in gloves - which he'd put on after carving the bone - he wiped his forehead, and looked down at the crisscrossing stitching pattern he'd had to do to get the boy's leg sewn back up. It was ugly for now, but it would hold. There would be some scarring - that part was unavoidable, but he'd walk again... if he recovered.

His work finished, Emille turned to Zerissa, and gave her an odd, almost curious look. "Alright... what's next?"
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/29/2016 9:11 PM

The clock striking at midnight had taken Zerissa by surprise too, but after a moment, she too, looked down at Ten's foot, examining it closely.  The swelling was beginning to go down, and that was a sign of progress, at least.  Emille's voice sounded almost hazy to her at first, but when it finally came through, she turned to look at Ten, first, and then back to him.

"Hm?  Oh!--well, we need to get Ten into the other bed, and continue to monitor him.  Once we've gotten him to where he can rest comfortably, we need to get Aura set up with some monitors, and get him comfortable as well.  In the notes I wrote when I did brief exams of them, I noted that a pacemaker could do him some good--his heartbeat, when I listened to it, was fast and erratic.  Additionally, I believe he may have asthma--that could be one reason for the wheezing," she said.  She took a moment to remove the face mask she'd donned for the moment, and then, she pulled off her gloves and ran her hands through her hair.

"This certainly has been one hell of a night," she said with something between a sigh and a chuckle.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/29/2016 9:37 PM

"One hell of a night doesn't begin to describe it." Emille said, sighing, and sliding his arms under Ten, lifting him up gently as he could, and carrying him to the bed. They didn't have a wheeled bed or anything, so there was going to be a lot of lifting involved. He settled the boy into the bed, and made sure he was comfortably settled, pulling the blanket over him very lightly, and resting a hand on his forehead. "Still hot. He'll need some sort of fever reducer now that the cause of the infection is out of him." he muttered, drawing back a couple of steps, and looking around for one of the black cases. This wasn't his set-up, so he kept forgetting where things were. Once he got into that mindset, it was hard to get out of.

Of course, it didn't help that he was also bone-tired, and 'medical' procedures weren't exactly his forte. Obviously, he knew how to perform them and could do it by rote, but CARING about people, and being mindful of what was happening, and the consequences of his actions... that was new to him.

"Alright. Should we clean off the table, and get Tw-... Aura... Onto it?"
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/29/2016 10:03 PM

"A fever reducer would definitely do him good," Zerissa said, pushing her hair away from her forehead for a moment.  "If you could get that set for him, please, I'll start cleaning the table off and preparing it for Aura."

Moving around the room, Zerissa quickly located some disinfectant, as well as some paper towels to wipe off the table with.  She sprayed the table down, wiping every surface of the table down thoroughly.  Once she had done that, she walked over to the bed where Aura had been set up.

"Hey, Aura," she said softly as she approached the boy, standing at his bedside.  "How are you feeling?  Any better or worse since I visited?" she asked.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/30/2016 1:36 PM

Aura gave her a bright - if pained - smile. "I'm... doing a bit better." he said quietly. "At least I feel a bit better. I can speak without panting." His eyes traveled over to Emille. "It's... good. To see this." he said very quietly - it wasn't too clear what he meant, but he didn't elaborate. The boy was complacent and cooperative as Emille lifted him up, and set him on the table. He winced a bit as he was set down, the bar in his leg giving a good twinge and a half, but didn't complain otherwise.

Emille glanced over to Zerissa. "Should we get the bar out of his leg, too?" he asked, glancing over it, and judging. This bar looked as though he'd gone around the bone and not through it. It must have led to Ten's infection that he'd chosen to bore straight through. Aura's set-up looked almost twisted around it, in a sort of loop. That could help him recover faster, if they were going to remove it. "I think... I set this one up a little differently. We might be able to remove it a little quicker." He twisted the leg one way, then the other, confirming what he already guessed. "Yes, it looks like I looped the metal AROUND the bone on Aura's leg, and not straight through it. Should be easier to remove."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/30/2016 2:22 PM

Zerissa nodded in agreement with what Aura said, and followed as Emille moved him from the bed to the table.  She frowned when he winced, but after a few moments, she gave a nod to Emille when he asked about removing the bar from his leg.

"Yes, I think we should remove it," she said.  She thought about adding something on at the end--remove it only for now, they would put it back later, or something else--but she didn't.  "After that, I'll do an exam to see if this wheezing while he breathes is asthma or not.  After that's been determined, our next matter of business should be his heart."

Here, she went to and grabbed the box of gloves, this time, and put them on a table where they could both easily reach them.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/30/2016 2:43 PM

"I think it should be easy enough to just pull out, if we clip it." Emille said, studying the job he did on Aura's leg. He moved over to the wall to get the wire-clippers, as it was more like a very thin sheet of metal than anything like the rebar that had been shoved through Ten. Aura was one of his more recent acquisitions, so apparently he was getting more creative with the restraints. While Zerissa tended to his upper-half, Emille found the numbing agent, injected it, and started clipping the metal bit by bit with the tool. It was slow work, but it would be a lot cleaner, and heal a lot faster, than what they'd had to do with Ten. The metal WAS bent around the bone, so there would be some residual stuff they'd have to remove later when Aura was in better health, but he got the most of it out - even the deeply-embedded stuff. The only pieces left were inside the leg, wrapped around the bone, and that would be easy enough to deal with once Aura was under.

"Alright, we're all sorted over here, Zeri." Emille said, pulling off the last pieces of metal. "It just occurred to me, that... Maybe I should remove the restraints from the others before they get infected, too. They're still well-contained. That glass is at least four inches thick on all sides, and deep into the concrete. I'm beginning to realize that maybe I'm a bit too paranoid about escapees."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/30/2016 2:56 PM

"That wouldn't be a bad idea, although I'm not sure how Kalson--Two--would react to you right now.  He charged at me three different times when I was down there," Zerissa said, taking the recorder stethoscope and pressing it to Aura's chest.  She listened for a few minutes, and then, she turned to go find a pen light and a stick to press Aura's tongue down with.  She set these aside once she returned, and then, she turned to Aura.

"I'm going to take a look at your nose, throat, and upper airways," she explained.  "I'll look at your nose, first.  Once I've looked there to see what I can see, I'll look in your throat.  I'll also need to ask you a couple of questions, once I've looked."

After she said this, she took the pen light and looked into the boy's nostrils.  After she did that, she turned to where she had set the stick down.

"Okay, I'm going to need you to open your mouth and say 'ahh'," Zeri instructed.  After she had done that, she set both of those aside and went to grab one of her journals to record her observations.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/30/2016 7:32 PM

Aura seemed to have no swelling or discharge in his throat and nose, so the wheezing definitely had to be from asthma. As he said 'Aaah' with the stick in his mouth, she could see all the way down his throat without any issues. The tissue there was reddish from coughing, but not super-inflamed or swollen. The irritation could have also been from lack of nutrition, which was another big issue. Both of those could be addressed, but a full exam wouldn't be a bad idea. Inside his chest, he was still wheezing, and his heartbeat was still fast, and somewhat erratic. It was at least better than the last time she'd listened, but still not really up to par.

For his part, Aura was cooperating to the best of his ability. His lack of attitude spoke volumes about his personality, and about the trust he was giving to Zerissa. For the longest time, though - he did refuse to look at or speak to Emille... Probably from fear. Emille didn't really ask him much of anything, though - so that wasn't such a big deal.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext