The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

A Sordid Reward [P, Ari] [M:E]

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 5:13 PM

Zerissa.  Human form.
Continuation of this breeding.

"Why, thank you," Zerissa said.  "I'm always willing to help, as you know," she added.  When he asked her to go to the room she'd been told not to think about before, she looked a little surprised.  "You're... trusting me with something like that?  I'm... honored that you would trust me with such a responsibility," she said.

She made her way over to his desk and lifted the pad of paper.  Just like he'd said, there was a key underneath it.  She headed for the black door and unlocked it, opening it slowly and looking down the stairs.

"Well," she said to herself, snapping her fingers.  A small flame--much more controlled than her previous attempts would have been--appeared in the palm of her hand, which she extinguished once she got down into the holding room.  She turned on the light there, and she saw the six subjects there.

"All right," she said.  "What do we have here...?"
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Re: A Sordid Reward [P, Ari] [M:E]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 5:31 PM

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sect - Human form. Kalson - Partial form. Sonanta - Partial form.
Aura - Human form. Prism - Human form. "Ten" - Partial form.

Most of the subjects looked up at Zerissa, mostly uninterested. They were very thin, although seemed to be in alright health otherwise. Emille must be feeding them once or twice a day. They were chained to the wall by shackles that were drilled into the bone of their legs. Nothing that could be slipped out of or taken off. The attachments of those chains to the wall was outside of the glass cages - well out of reach. Emille could unlock them with the key on the table, but there was no way any of those boys were getting out of here on their own. A few looked as though they might try, but the majority were curled up in various states of depressed and hopeless. Emille had broken their spirits.

Meals were already pre-prepared, and set out on the counter. They were all the same meal, but were labeled differently under each plate. It looked like the subjects were having pulled-chicken salad, with onions, peppers, and tomatoes. Croutons were also sprinkled on a few of those salads, and some had dressing, some did not. Very large containers of water were set beside the meals, each one of those labeled as well. They had tick-marks drawn on the sides, probably for measuring purposes.

The cages were rather 'nice' for such a setup. There was a bed affixed to each wall - a simple mattress, and one of those self-cleaning toilets in each cell. A sink sat on the opposite wall, with a bar of soap. There was an area set-aside in each cell where there were massive water-jets in the ceiling, and two bottles sitting side by side on a shelf recessed into the wall. Emille apparently liked to keep his subjects well-cleaned. The chains were more than long enough to let the subjects reach every area of the cell, and most of them were either curled up on their beds, sitting on the floor, or standing up and looking disconsolately out the wide-open paneled windows.

There was a boy that wasn't even moving, though. One of the ones for which there were no additives in his food. He was curled up tightly on the bed, facing away from the window. The area where the 'shower' was still had water draining, so he'd apparently bathed recently. However, he was not moving, and seemed to be either asleep or unconscious. The others didn't notice, or - more likely - didn't care about their fellow cell-mate. It was everyone for themselves down here. Something Emille had tried to avoid, but unfortunately... confinement tended to do that to people.
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 6:24 PM

"What have we here..." Zerissa asked idly, examining the different meals and looking at the labels.  Drawing in a breath, she started at one end of the line.  First, she examined the subjects.  A few of them looked completely human, while some had ears and tails showing--Kuhna ears and tails, if she wasn't mistaken.  Finally, after surveying the subjects, she moved to the meals that were set out.

"Zero-zero-nine," she started, picking up the salad that had both dressing and croutons sprinkled on it.  She also picked up the water glass, noting what level it had been filled to.  She walked across to the cage and placed both the salad and the water on the ledge that was there.

"Let's see... zero-two-one," she said next, picking up a salad with croutons and another glass of water, taking it across to the appropriately-labeled subject.  This one had ears and tails visible, from what she could see, but it was difficult to see what kind of patterning was on the tails.

"Zero-zero-two," Zerissa said, now mostly to herself.  There was just a plain salad for him, and another glass of water.

"Zero-zero-one," she continued, picking up another plain salad and the water, placing the salad and water on the ledge for the boy in that cage.

"Zero-two-zero," she said next, noting the red salad dressing and the cheese crumbles.  She also noted that there was less water in this boy's glass, but she shrugged--a barely perceptible shrug.  Whatever Emille's reasoning for giving this boy less water, she was certain that he had them, and she dared not deviate from what he'd set out.

"...and zero-one-zero," she said, picking up the last salad and glass of water.  This boy was curled up on the bed in his cage, and he didn't seem to be interested in moving.  Zerissa placed the food there, and then, she stepped back and observed the six subjects carefully.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 8:05 PM

The first subject, 009, walked over from his place on the mattress, and picked up the salad and water, taking it back over to the bed to eat without a complaint. He looked tired, but not ill, and the only thing physically wrong with him was that bar through his leg. He ate quietly, watching Zerissa with a wary stare and saying nothing at all. Maybe Emille would answer questions about these guys, because he did look like a rather intriguing specimen. Physically, he was built like a swimmer with lean muscle and narrow hips. His skin was very pale, and he had circles under his eyes. His eyes were red, but also bloodshot. His chopped-short hair was black, and he looked as though he may have scars on his neck.

021 meandered slowly over to the bowl, and snagged it, taking it back over to where he had been sitting on the floor, and very quietly and slowly taking bites. The blonde wasn't paying much attention to Zerissa at all, mostly staring at either the bowl, the water container or the floor - almost as if afraid to meet anyone's eyes. His kuhna-ears were down, and his tails were wrapped around him, floofed up in fear. However, he was far more tired and hungry than afraid. Like the rest, he definitely looked as though his spirit had been broken, and like he was jaded beyond anything else. Obviously, he didn't trust the food, because even though he was eating it, he was also lightly poking at it from time to time.

002 didn't approach the food for a couple of minutes either, but he did show some interest in Zerissa. Dragging himself over, he actually tried to lunge at her, snarling, before he turned to the bowl of food, and flung it across the room. This one had anger issues. He kicked the side of the glass, and snarled something under his breath that she couldn't hear, before stalking off to the mattress, and curling up with his very flat purple-pink kuhna ears so flat against his head, then almost disappeared into his lavender hair. His rainbow-colored eyes were filled with anything but happiness, as he lashed his tails back and forth. Obviously a very angry, and very distressed kuhna boy. Close observation would notice that this one had several instances of scarring in his leg - he'd tried to escape before.

001 didn't move immediately to the food, instead focused on the floor from his position sitting on the bed. Eventually, though, hunger won over caution, and he crept over to snag the bowl of food. He looked horrible. Not well-kept, even though he'd had a shower recently, as evidence by the fact that his short, orangey-red hair was still damp. He peered out the glass with soft gray eyes, and shivered a bit before he snatched the bowl. There was a reason he waited for a moment before getting the food - his breathing was labored, and he had to brace a hand against the wall to even move back over to the bed with the bowl. Of all of the captives, he was by far the thinnest, and his ribs could be seen as he started to eat, having to catch his breath every so often. He didn't pay much attention to Zerissa, but every time he did look up - he managed to lock eyes with her, without fail. There wasn't any anger there... just depression.

020 was easily the friendliest of this bunch, and seemed to be at least partially energetic. He just about pounced on the food when it was presented. Taking the bowl off to a corner to eat, he pressed against the glass, and said something - but this was apparently sound-proof glass, because Zerissa wouldn't be able to hear what it was. As appearances went, he was sort of nice-looking. Build slim, with very pale skin, and rainbow-gradient dots and spots all over. His left eye was yellow, and his right one a bluish-purple, and he didn't seem perturbed at all. Maybe a little 'down' - but nowhere near the rest. Food, apparently, was a comfort that cheered him up. His hair was longer than the rest, and tied back into a ponytail. He continued talking while he ate, but only the sound and not the words came to the outside. He certainly didn't look like he was at all upset or in pain... the only indication that he was uncomfortable at all was that he would occasionally rub his chest or his throat - that was it.

010 was easily the slowest to respond. It took him almost ten minutes to realize the food and water was there, and another five to push himself up. He was shaking, and barely managed to make it to the bowl. Even so, once he did, he had to eat slowly. He was so weak that he kept dropping pieces of food, and just sort of... ignored them when he did. He was thin, and his stark-white hair was cropped very, very short. Possibly by one of Emille's blades. He had sutures in a couple of places, but nothing near what Ildor had done. His dark-green ears remained down and back, the left one occasionally flicking as though he was hearing something. Those tails didn't move much, and he didn't show much emotion while eating. He also took a lot longer to finish his food, before looking out at Zerissa with nearly-dead, harsh pink eyes. It was clear he saw her. Whether or not he cared it was her or Emille was hard to tell. After he finished, he was so worn out that he dragged himself back into the bed, laying there in a curled up ball to shiver.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 8:33 PM

Zerissa watched as each of the subjects reacted to the food and water they received.  When 002 lunged at her, she froze for a moment, but she glared him down, letting him know that she wouldn't be intimidated.  Noting his behavior in her mind, she continued to watch the others.  She held 001's gaze when he would lock eyes with her, noting his labored breathing.  Obviously, she thought to herself, there had to be something else going on with him.

She smiled slightly at 020 when he said... whatever it was he said.  He was definitely the friendliest of the bunch, but when he rubbed his chest, her brow furrowed slightly.  Perhaps that was worth looking into later, as well.

010 definitely concerned her.  She could tell that he had seen her, and his eyes looked dead.  Remembering Emille's promise, she mulled her options over in her mind.  Picking one to study on her own would not be an easy decision.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 9:07 PM

009 was now actually rather curious about Zerissa. He sat on the bed, and watched her, finishing up eating his salad in a good amount of time. He didn't seem particularly hurried to finish. Once he did, he rose, and dropped his bowl back onto the ledge, pausing there to watch Zerissa from the glass. Closer observation showed him to be about eighteen or nineteen. Emille had let him wear shorts, so he wasn't naked, but he didn't have a shirt on, and there were scars on his chest, too. His pale skin was simply that way from his genetics, and not from illness. He pressed both hands against the glass, and watched her, those blood-shot red eyes much more intelligent than his grab at the food would have originally made it seem. The boy didn't speak, although his eyes and his body-language spoke volumes.

After a moment, he glanced toward the others, then back to Zerissa. He wasn't entirely sure why she was here, and maybe she'd give him some answers. Not likely, but maybe. There was a low growl somewhere in the vicinity of his stomach, but he wasn't giving it rise. Although he hadn't been here long, he had been able to glean a couple of things from his confinement. Emille wasn't afraid to cause pain, or to take it. He didn't want his 'subjects' to die, so they weren't in any danger of being starved or beaten to death. Emille also liked surgical procedures a little too much, and didn't have any qualms with performing them for any reason. Sect knew that he'd been stripped down to a number, but if this was that woman that had been helping Emille... maybe he could actually get her to call him by his real name.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 9:57 PM

After a few minutes of watching, Zerissa became aware of 009's curiosity in her.  Straightening her posture, she returned to where the food had been.  She'd noticed a card of some sort on the table; upon closer examination, she saw that it was a key card.  Opening the drawers that she had seen there, she also saw a stethoscope and a penlight.  Picking these items up, she made her way over to the cage where 009 was.

Opening the cage, she stepped in and gave the man a once-over.  He was good-looking, no one could deny that.  Clearing her throat, she said, "Good evening," she said after a few moments, adjusting the stethoscope.  "You probably already know who I am, and who I'm assisting.  I don't much mind what you call me, but I do hope that we can at least be civil with one another."

Here, she took the stethoscope's earpieces and put them in her ears, giving a slight exhale onto the silvery surface to warm it up.  Looking at the man, she said, "Do you mind if I listen to your heart and breathing?  I'd like to record some observations of my own."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 10:03 PM

Sect wasn't super-keen on having the woman touch him, but he supposed he had no choice. He licked his lips and gave a barely-perceptible nod when asked the question. "Alright. But... nothing like what that Maniac does." he murmured, keeping his voice low, and his body taut. He'd been through a lot thanks to that man, and he just as soon not go through any more. At least, not at this juncture.

"You're... Zeri, aren't you?" he asked, eyeing her up and down. "He talks about you down here. Talks about himself too, but talks about you the most. He fancies you as a student, I think." His head canted to one side. "Mentioned something about you'd be graduating soon last time he was down here. Seemed sad about that."

When she plied the stethoscope, she'd find his heart was beating normally, at a slightly higher rate than usual. Fear, hunger, wariness, stress - it could have any number of causes. His breathing was also a little on the elevated side, but seemed normal other than that. His pulse kept perfect time, and the strength was normal as well - nothing weak or diseased about this one. Pacing back and forth apparently kept him in pretty good health. He waited until she was done listening to him to speak again.

"You don't come here all the time. Don't you have somewhere you live? Why do you always come back here? Come back to That Maniac?"
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 10:24 PM

"I'm Zeri, yes," she said.  "And I won't do anything like what he does.  All I want to make a note of is your breathing, heart rate, and takes some notes on physical condition.  Strictly observation--but I can understand why you would be hesitant to trust me, since I do work with him."

She listened to his heartbeat carefully.  She checked her pocket watch as she counted the beating of his heart over the period of ten seconds.  She noted his heart rate, recording that it was slightly higher than usual, but with a note that it could have been from any number of factors.  His breathing was also well within parameters for a relatively healthy man.

His question gave her pause for a moment.  After a few moments more, she said, "I have a place... but I guess, after the tests and experiments he ran on me, I became fascinated in his work.  Call it... morbid and messed up, but I've never been fully 'sound', as it were.  Not the most stable of family situations, and I guess this just... seemed more stable than that.  I know it sounds crazy, but... um, I'm not even sure what your name is, and I don't want to just call you by your number--unless you prefer that, that is," she said, her voice trailing at the end.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 10:33 PM

The brunette smiled, and shook his head. "No. I hate being called by a number. That Maniac does it to de-humanize us. Make us less than he is. My name is Sect. I have two dads out there. They'll find the Maniac, and when they do... I hope you're not too attached to your teacher, Zeri." He looked to the side for a moment, and closed his eyes before regaining his composure, and continuing on in a stronger voice. "Just as a word of caution and a bit of advice - because you've treated me better than I've had from Emille in months... Don't be here when my dads find out I'm gone. Just... don't." He shook his head hard. "At least one of my fathers is going to come rampaging in here and destroy anything that gets in his way. That could be Emille, it could be you. Meeting you for the first time... I don't really want it to be you. You should get away from this place."

He sighed, and went to sit on the bed, drawing his knees up to his chest. "He treats me marginally better than the others, but that still doesn't mean he's not a sick bastard. Thank you for not... being like him. At least not right now."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 10:45 PM

"Sect, then," Zerissa said.  "I'll make sure to keep that in mind.  I may not be around here much longer, anyways.  A... new opportunity might be presenting itself, but we'll see.  And... at least you have family that wants you.  My one brother who's all here was too busy facehugging some guy to care to report me missing when I was first brought here and didn't come back for a few day.  Parents weren't really there, so at least you have parents that would move heaven and hell to find you."

Rising from her spot, she left the cell and closed the door, making sure that it latched properly.  She moved onto the next cage, after making a few more notes: Subject 009 -- prefers Sect.  Seems kind, and knows he has family that will come looking for him once they realize he's gone.  While he would be an interesting choice, I'm going to take his advice and not be around him, at least, when his fathers come in here.

Drawing in a breath, she turned her attention to the next cage, with Subject 002 inside--the one who had lunged at her when she'd placed his dinner on the ledge.  She swiped the key card and opened the door, stepping just barely inside.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 10:55 PM

It didn't take long for the almost-feral kuhna boy to notice her. Not at all. He went from sitting on the mattress one moment, to snarling and charging at the suddenly-open door the next. Of course, it would help had he not forgotten about the bowl, and wound up tripping over it, sprawling on the ground on his back as soon as he went to attack Zerissa. The boy had more issues than just anger. There were scars around his head that extended under his super-short hair. Those scars were something Zerissa had probably seen before in bodies that Emille was disposing of - brain surgery scars. The boy wasn't only messed up from captivity... he was also messed up because Emille had made him that way.

He scrambled to his feet as quickly as possible, and scurried back away toward the bed, shaking in anger and defiance. "Lady come to kill? Prick send you?" he hissed out, hunching over the bed in a very animal-like way. Had he claws in this form, they probably would have been out. As it was, both tails were bottle-brush, and both ears were flat against his skull. "Prick send pointy things to stick in my head?" He snarled again, and let out a long, feral hiss-whine. It was more than clear from his body-language that he was more AFRAID of her right now than angry at her. Maybe tripping over the bowl had spooked him.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 11:02 PM

Zerissa had been bracing herself to be attacked, but when he tripped and spooked, she softened slightly.  When she saw the scars on his head, she inclined her head ever so slightly--so Emille had been experimenting with this boy's head, literally.

Moving slowly, and in as non-threatening of a manner as she could, she moved so that she was in front of him.  "No, I'm not here to kill you," she began softly.  "He did send me, but not to do anything like that to you.  Give you dinner and water, yes--I'm making some observations of my own accord.  No pointy things, I promise," she added.  Reading his body language, she made a mental note that she would be wise to tread lightly.

"Listen--" she started, letting this hang slightly.  "I want to listen to your heart, if that's okay.  If you don't want me to, though, I won't.  I know you likely don't trust me because I work with him, but I won't hurt you..." she said, letting this hang as she checked her notes.  There was no name noted, so she asked, "Do you remember your name?"

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 09/27/2016 11:11 PM

The boy crouched down even lower as she approached, lifting his lips back in a snarl and snapping once before he relaxed enough to let her touch him. His eyes fixed on her, and didn't leave as he spoke in a broken manner - seemed that one of the areas Emille had messed with affected speech. "Kalson." he said quietly, shaking his head a bit as if something had touched his ears - nothing had. "Kalson. My name. Prick never uses it." His tailed lashed back and forth a bit, but his ears had relaxed, and his body-language, while not completely open - was certainly more accepting.

Upon hearing what she wanted to do, he got onto the bed, and rolled over onto his back, arms at his sides. Apparently Emille had either conditioned him to do this, or he was acting on instinct. He went very still, and blinked up at her, waiting for her to touch him. Still and all, he was giving off the very real image of a terrified animal, and it was surprising that the bowl had spooked him so much. His gaze was steady, but underlying all of that was a sense of hopelessness, and just a dire wish to be free, and to be able to control himself again. The fact that he was letting her touch him at all, exam or not, was a mark of progress.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 09/27/2016 11:32 PM

"Kalson," Zerissa repeated.  "That's a nice name," she said, watching as the boy got onto the bed and rolled over, exposing his stomach to her.  Moving slowly and deliberately, being careful not to spook him, she placed the stethoscope (which she made sure to clean, and warm again) on his chest gently.  She applied only a slight bit more pressure to make sure she could hear his heartbeat, and after a few moments, she removed the stethoscope and made a note of his heart rate, and a few other things.

Heartbeat is a little erratic, very fast, and weak.  Breathing is also fast and weak.  Appears more feral in nature, also very easily spooked--effects of experiments on brain?  Eyes convey both a sense of hopelessness and a desire to be free.  Experiments on brain are not something I am versed in While he seemed to calm after I explained that I wouldn't hurt him, not a wise choice.

For a half of a second, she wanted to pat the Kuhna-boy on the head as reassurance, but she did not.  Standing up, she backed slowly out of the cage and closing the door gently before moving onto the next cage.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next