The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Crossed Circuits (Phoenix and I)

Postby Jedi » 11/06/2016 5:17 PM

BB-8

Initiating emergency backup systems...

Scanning for physical damage...

Scanning programming for errors...

All systems operational...

Looking around, the droid finds himself in what looks like a small, very crowded room. When he moves about, the droid finds the ground to be very loose and uneven. Everything is very dark, but his thermal vision seems to be providing some guidance. As BB-8 rolls into the wall, he hears a loud thud. Based on analysis, the wall seems to be made of a type of metal. There seems to be nothing on the other side of the wall either. Drawing out his fusion cutter, he begins carving a large hole in the wall, big enough for the droid to escape through. As he hits the ground, he let's out a loud "Bwoop!" Looking back, he realizes the room he had been in was nothing more than a refuse dumpster. But why would someone dump him in there?

Like a mighty wind that bends the trees
We are strong
United
Mates

Imp. Docs - Zoo Pen - Wishlist
Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 22
Donate

Re: Crossed Circuits (Phoenix and I)

Postby Kitsumi » 11/06/2016 5:27 PM

The sun was just beginning to rise, the world still mostly dark, and Artemis was practically alone on the streets. She was kind of glad that the place was deserted. She had grown sick of the strange looks she received. 'Why is that woman walking alone in the dark?' she could practically read the minds of the people watching her. 'Doesn't she realize that this is the slums? Does she have a death wish or something?'

Truthfully, she realized that it was probably foolish to head into the slums alone. Women had gone missing from the area quite a bit, but this didn't stop her. She was confidant in her ability to take care of herself. Besides, the dumpsters in the slums often held...well, interesting things.

But what Artemis didn't expect was to turn a corner and came face to face - er, camera? - with a small robotic thing that appeared to be fully functional.

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7114
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/06/2016 5:42 PM

BB-8 was shocked to nearly run into a person. He rolled back a few feet, hoping to give her plenty of walking room. "Bee-Bwoo-dee," he said to her, trying to let her know he didn't mean to bump into her. He looked past her towards the open street. He looked from her to the street, darting his gaze several times before rolling past her out of the alley. Where's my master? he said in a series of short beeps. He looked around, trying to find him, but couldn't see Po anywhere. After a few seconds, he turned back and rolled up to the woman he'd just met. "Bee dee-bwoop?" He asked, meaning 'can you help me?'

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/06/2016 5:50 PM

"Whoa, you have the most advanced technology I've ever seen!" Artemis exclaimed. She knelt near the little robot, examining it as it moved and beeped. "How the heck does your head stay attached even when your body spins like that? And do you have some sort of AI thing going on?" She couldn't be sure, but its beeping definitely sounded like an attempt at communication. Maybe it was sentient?

Whatever it was, it couldn't be left here on the streets for some scavenger to come along and take apart. "Come on," she said, looking around to make sure that no one was watching. "You'd better follow me before someone else sees you. I'll get you home and take a closer look at you."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/06/2016 5:56 PM

BB-8 didn't quite know if he could trust her, but he didn't have any other options. His master, Poe Dameron, must be worried about him. And he knew his master would want him safe and sound. Besides, something about this particular human seemed tech savvy. If he was in need of repairs, maybe this person was the best bet. "Bee-doo-bwee?" he called, asking how long they'd be walking. But he had a feeling that she wouldn't understand him, no matter how many times he asked.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/06/2016 6:12 PM

Once again, the mechanical creature beeped as if trying to say something. Artemis shook her head. "Sorry, little guy - gal? I can't tell if you have a designated gender. And I can't understand what you're trying to say, either. Although I think I have an idea for that."

Luckily, her moped was parked nearby. Unluckily, it wasn't going to be possible for the droid to exactly climb on behind her. "Ugh, crap. My garage isn't too far away. Will you be able to follow me for a couple of blocks? Beep once for yes, and twice for no."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/06/2016 6:17 PM

When he heard her say she couldn't understand, he let out a sad "Bwoo." But when she mentioned having an idea, he perked up a bit. He followed her until he saw the bike-ish vehicle. Unsure of what it was, he just stared at it. He looked up at her as she spoke, and in response to her question, gave an assured "Beep." Of course, he decided he'd stay on the sidewalk while following. With that he wasn't likely to get hit by one of the larger vehicles.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/06/2016 6:25 PM

Although the world was beginning to awaken, the trip was short enough that no attention was drawn to the girl on her moped and the little robot following on the sidewalk. At least, Artemis didn't think anyone had taken a good look at them. Parking her scooter in the garage, she quickly gestured for the ball-shaped droid to come inside. "Get in here," she said. "Quickly, before somebody sees! The last thing I need is someone pounding at my door, asking why I'm harboring crazy-advanced AI robots."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/06/2016 6:33 PM

Although the distance wasn't far, BB-8 was quite dizzy from all the bumps in the sidewalk. He thought about perhaps rolling along on the road, but that thought was discouraged when he saw several large potholed in the worn street. They all seemed big enough to fit all of him inside.

After a little while, he rolled up alongside her parked scooter, then turned to look at her. He gave another "Beep!" to let her know that he'd comply with her suggestion. "Bee-dee-Dwoo?" he said, meaning so what now?

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/07/2016 2:25 PM

This time, Artemis simply raised her eyebrow in response to the robot's beeping. Surely by now it realized that it was not going to get any actual answer, due to the fact that she didn't understand. That was actually the first thing she intended on fixing.

"Okay, so I'm going to have to figure out how to power you down." Before the thing could freak out, she held up a hand. "Don't worry, it won't be for long. I just want to check out some of your inner workings. Plus, I have an idea for how we can actually communicate. From what I can tell, you can understand me. So I just need to figure out how I can understand you." After a pause, she asked, "Do I have your permission to power you down for a moment? I promise I won't take you apart or mess with your programming or anything like that."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/07/2016 4:53 PM

BB-8 hesitated as she asked for his permission to shut him down. He didn't really know her, but he thought she would be the best option for finding his master. He let out a small "Beep," following her earlier suggestion on how to answer yes. He then began the shut-down process.

Disengaging astromech protocols...

Disabling secondary programs...

Disabling primary programs...

The view of the garage shrunk into nothingness as BB-8 finished shutting himself down.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/07/2016 5:02 PM

-Roughly 36 hours later-

Artemis practically fell into her chair as she finally finished. The robot should have been powering on any second now, and she waited for it to return to its conscious state.

The woman was exhausted. She hadn't slept during her work, taking breaks only to shove a donut or piece of pizza down her throat or to make a quick run to the bathroom. Her work hadn't been in vain, however. The earpiece she now sported - decorated with a hand-painted white skull for bonus 'cool' points - should automatically translate the robot's beeps for her, and then replay them into her ear in her own language.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/07/2016 5:10 PM

Systems booting up...

Running systems check...

Initiating programming...

BB-8 awoke to the world around him once more. Though his internal systems told him that a day and a half had passed, he had felt as if the transition was instant. He looked around the room until his eye landed on the woman. "Can you help me find my master?" he asked. Though he was grateful, he didn't want to waste any time with distractions. His only hope was seeing Poe again.

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 11/07/2016 5:15 PM

As soon as the robot began beeping, Artemis could feel herself tensing up. Although she knew that she was pretty handy with tools, part of her was afraid that her latest project was going to wind up a failure. She pressed a finger to the earpiece (even though doing so wasn't required) and held her breath. When the words were played in a monotone male voice, she couldn't help but let out a loud peal of laughter.

"Oh my gosh, I did it!" she exclaimed, jumping up and down excitedly. "I actually made it so that I can understand you!"

Once the words had sunk in, however, she became serious once more. "I'm not sure...but I'll definitely try. What's your master's name? Do you know if he has Facebook or something?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jedi » 11/07/2016 5:21 PM

BB-8 stared in confusion as she began dancing around, but let out a happy whistle in excitement. When she finally turned her attention to his request, he informed her everything he knew. "My name is BB-8. My master is called Poe Dameron. I don't know what a Facebook is, but I don't think he has it." After a few seconds of thinking, BB-8 retracted his holoprojector and shown an image of Poe. "He looks like this."

We are strong
United
Mates

Jedi
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next