The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Hope in the Shadows [Self]

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:45 PM

"Get back here you mutt!" An older man would shout, looking awfully angry at the moment as he was running through the dreary streets of this run down town brandishing a weapon, all because he was in hot pursuit of a Tali that had just made off with some dried meats he'd been in the middle of selling off at his stall in the marketplace.

It hadn't been the most difficult thing to even really do, as the big oaf had gotten too preoccupied with chatting up some woman that, for just a moment, he'd miss the movement of dark fur in the corner of his eye.

Oh Raven won't you sing me a happy song

You don't want me to stay alone
That's why you gotta sing your song
You keep tapping at my door
Nevermore, nevermore, nevermore
But can I ask you something
A favor from you my friend
This song you keep singin'

Zoo PenImp. DocsWishlistJournal
FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1692
Donate

Re: Hope in the Shadows [Self]

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:46 PM

The next thing they both knew, there would be a loud clattering as part of the man's well organized stall would come crashing onto the ground. Leaving a mess behind as that spot of dark fur took off with its prize.

It was mostly an accident, as all the Tali wanted was to take some meat and simply get out of there. But things didn't go according to plan, and now he had this man right on his tail feathers. Stupid... If he hadn't tried to go for some of the better stuff near the top of the rack, he wouldn't have to work so hard just to shake them off. But now that his greed had gotten carried away, there was nothing else to do except deal with it.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:47 PM

A quick glance behind him would tell him just how much distance he still needed to put between them. He not only needed to move faster, he was gonna have to outwit the man one way or another. Now reaching the corner of a different street, he darted right around and had seconds to take in what was before him. These places were always full of potential obstacles that he could use, and this time there were some barrels that were being unloaded from a wagon just up ahead, and beyond that was an alley he could slip into. So, without hesitation, he dove right for the wagon.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:49 PM

Slipping himself on through beneath it, he made a beeline for the alley. Disappearing under the cover of the shadows, he kept on running. Splashing on through stagnant puddles of muddy water, and up and over some debris left haphazardly strewn about down here, he found one of many familiar holes inside an old fence buried beneath that he could slip through. Just before he went down there, a stomping sound was made behind him at the other end of the alley, and he would be startled suddenly as something sliced through the air beside him. With a loud smash, the weapon the man had been brandishing earlier was now lodged into some wood near his head. Looking back to the one responsible with a snarl, that was too close for comfort if you asked him.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:51 PM

Not wasting anymore time to give the man another chance to actually strike him with something else, he vanished on down through the pile, straight into the hole, and out to the other side. Right behind him, he could hear the following slew of angry cursing as he left them behind in the dust. Panting from the effort of running away, that sound was all he needed to know that he had won this round, and he couldn't help but grin at that. It seemed he would be safe for now, but he still couldn't stop just yet. There was still the matter of his ill-gotten prize to take care of, and there was plenty more walking to do to get it where it needed to be.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:51 PM

Skulking on through town for the next couple of hours, to be absolutely sure that he wasn't being followed, he would sneak his way down an old disused path that nobody ever seemed to bother with. With a few more twists and turns, the way he took would take him straight to an abandoned building. Like most places around here, the building's condition was extremely poor, as quite a bit of it was either filled with holes or had collapsed. But with what did still remain, it was the perfect place for him to hide without anyone's notice.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 8:53 PM

Heading on through into one of the gaping holes in it, he trotted on to one of the more sheltered areas inside. This spot he had in mind was on the second floor, and he had to climb up a pile of rubble to even reach it, but once he did, the dark furred canine walked right into a room that was inside where someone would be waiting for him.

"Doggy!" Came the sweet familiar voice of a little girl that was previously hiding in a pile of old ratty blankets and rags, but had shed all of that to come over and greet him at the entrance with a tight hug around his neck. "You came back!"

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 9:01 PM

At the comforting, and definitely not too tight, embrace of the child, the Tali’s tail would begin to sway back and forth slowly in a happy wag. His name wasn’t really “Doggy” of course, but for some reason he just couldn’t seem to bring himself to correct her even now. Instead he just sat himself down quietly and waited.

Once he felt he’d given her enough time to get the hug out of her system, he raised a paw to gently nudge at her arm and encourage her to release him. She didn't want to, and pouted a little in response, but still she seemed to understand as her arms left his neck.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 9:23 PM

When they separated, he would engage in what had started becoming a routine by now, by taking a moment to look her over properly and assess her current condition. Slowly walking circles around her, he'd be taking note of anything that seemed out of the ordinary from what he'd usually seen recently. Being used to this part by now, the girl stood as still as she could.

Staring into those pure lavender eyes of hers out of curiosity as he passed them, there were no signs of the pupils like he was used to in other creatures, but they remained bright and clear even now, able to take in the world completely as far as he was aware. After being stuck in this place that, even he had to admit was pretty filthy, her once beautiful softly colored robes were now dingy and torn in places, but her body remained pristine. Her skin and hair was free of any blemishes or dirt, and the pair of small white feathered wings on her shoulders were as beautiful as ever.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/20/2019 9:31 PM

She had no idea what he was really up to when he made himself go round and round like that, but she found it to be entertaining, and quickly learned a while ago that staying still was important. Otherwise she'd get tickled by a prodding nose whenever she moved too much, or didn't stand properly.

Yes... Everything seemed about the same, and not a single thing appeared out of place. Relieved by this, he moved further into the room dropped himself down to the floor nearby the cloth and rags. The girl let out a giggle as she followed after him closely, and returned to the pile she was in before.

By now, it was time to drop the meats he'd stolen earlier, and he gave them a light nudge with his nose closer to her.

[Wild Pet Found]

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/27/2019 9:21 PM

After she had plopped herself down into the random pile of old cloth, blankets, and rags, the girl started getting settled into it to make herself comfortable again. Once she was finished with moving things around, and pulling a blanket up over herself like a cloak, she looked down at what Mr. Doggy had brought.

Reaching out to grab a piece of the food, she brought it closer to her face to give it a curious sniff. It was... food! She knew this because Mr. Doggy ate this kind of stuff! But right away, her face changed to one of reluctance as she looked back at her friend.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/27/2019 9:21 PM

He would be staring up at her expectantly with ears facing forward, waiting patiently as she took a moment to examine the meat. When her attention turned back to him, he lolled out his tongue and tilted his head. "You will eat, won't you?" He barked, knowing full well that she didn't understand a single word he said. Still, it was the whole reason why he took it, so that she could keep herself alive!

Whether or not she understood him, the girl seemed to shake her head before putting the piece of meat back down. "No thank you, Doggy! You should have this!" And gently she pushed it back towards him.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/27/2019 9:27 PM

Closing his mouth, he let out a whine in frustration. No! She needed to eat! Didn't she understand that? At the rate things were going, of several days without seeing her eat once, he was extremely worried for her wellbeing. Raising up a paw, he ended up slapping it against the creaky wooden floor before he barked again in protest. "But what about you?! I can't just eat this myself and let you starve!" But his words would only fall on ignorant ears as she shook her head again.

The truth was, she just wasn't hungry.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/27/2019 9:47 PM

For her, it was impossible to even explain why, as she didn't understand it all that much herself. She was also still very young that, even if she could, there would not be a way for her to properly describe how this was possible.

Attempts had been made, of course. But Mr. Doggy just didn't seem to understand. He simply insisted every chance he got to have her eat something. All without really taking into consideration that she still looked healthy even now, as opposed to thin and starved if she had been an ordinary girl.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 10/27/2019 9:52 PM

She never got hungry, nor did she seem to get sick. But in the eyes of the Tali, and the way he understood the natural order of things, all living creatures had to eat. Otherwise, they'll die. So for him, it made sense to keep looking for anything he could get his paws on, just so that he could fulfill his role in that order, and feed her.

Eventually, against everything that was telling him it was wrong to do, he gave in. Though not without letting out an indignant snort for her stubbornness first.

FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran