The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: Beginnings [Hunt]

Postby amanda784 » 11/09/2020 7:45 PM

Farley knocks into one of the table legs as he returns to his seat at the table. One single splash of coffee hits white paper reminding him of how little he has to go on.

The chance of robin hood knowing about Warren are slim. Farley had just found about Warren recently himself. He was on a job tailing a small time thief when he was led to Warren. That's the dangerous thing about Warren. He's not exactly a thief himself. He manages other thieves like a business. Farley had only told the captain Warren's name and was paid for it. He had expected to be put on tailing duty for a while, but the captain had assured him that he would have possible target locations watched. It would be a set-up.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1243
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/09/2020 8:46 PM

Farley raised the cup of coffee to his lips. The hot liquid poured into his body scalding him. He cursed under his breath. He poured himself a glass of cold water to ease the pain. The water did ease the pain, but didn't shake his hunch that Warren would be the next target.

Warren lived on the south side of the slums. His house was ordinary. It was impossible to tell from the outside that he was a manger in crime. It would be easy enough to slip into. If Farley could put a name to the robin hood character the money would be as good as his.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/10/2020 1:16 PM

As Farley sipped his now cooled coffee he began to plan. Warrens house would likely be locked up tight and despite Farley's ability to become small it was unlikely he would find a way in. No matter, Farley's job was to report. He wouldn't even have to step inside to see the face of the intruder.

Would he enter the rear or front of the house? That was the question. There was no way to watch both. The robin hood's targets make him seem sure of himself. He would enter from the front.

As Farley downed the last bit of coffee he smiled to himself. The money was as good as his.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/10/2020 1:37 PM

Farley was surprised to see a light still on at Warrens home. He was up, but why?

He is waiting for something. No, he is waiting for someone.

The thought hit him like a brick to the head. Of course Warren had heard from his minions about the robin hood. This could spoil Farley's entire plan. Should Warren be home the robin hood might not get close enough for Farley to make out a face. If that happened, the money would be gone. Serena would have to go a week making good with what they already had.

Farley's financial situation was not like living week to week, but day by day. Sometimes information would bring enough for just a few good meals. Rarely, the information bought him a months worth of supplies. Always, Farley felt as if he was fighting just to survive.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/13/2020 2:21 AM

Farley settled in underneath a bush near the front of the house. He supposed that there were only two possible outcomes. Either the robin hood character would see the light on in home and be scared off or there would be a confrontation. The second was ideal. A confrontation would give Farley plenty of opportunity to discover who and what he was looking for.

A low hanging branch on the bush tickled his back making his body tremor. This was not a comfortable job. Often, Farley would come home exhausted from a night's work. He hated the way he lived. He felt there were two options for him. He could rat on other people or he could become like the people he tattled on. Those were the two options for a rat surviving in the slums. In his mind, he was living his best possible life.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/14/2020 3:56 AM

The noise of footsteps approaching pulled Farley from his thoughts. Farley's heart began to beat violently inside of his chest. While Farley had hoped the robin hood character would appear tonight he had doubted it, but now he was sure of himself.

Farley's heart sank at the sight of his captain approaching Warren's home. He supposed the captain finally had gotten enough evidence on Warren and was going to make an arrest, Unfortunately, that meant there was now no chance that Farley would find the robin hood character here. Surely this would mean another week of barely getting by.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/14/2020 4:01 AM

Farley was about to head home both empty handed and defeated when a question popped into his head.

Why would Captain make this arrest alone?

Farley's mind swirled with the facts. Warren was a known criminal. Warren was careful and dangerous. Arrests were never made without first calling for backup. In order to make an arrest at Warren's home a warrant would be needed. Officers never serve warrants alone.

The answer popped into Farley's head like a firework exploding. Captain wasn't coming to arrest Warren.

Farley suddenly felt a wave of nausea washing over him.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/14/2020 4:08 AM

Farley's nausea continued washing over him like the ocean's tide. With each new thought a new wave of nausea would come. It suddenly made sense to Farley why Captain had pulled him off of Warren's case. Small pieces of information began rushing together like puzzle pieces being put into place. Captain put him on this robin hood's case because he threatened Warren's theft business. Was it even Warren's business? Captain always had names of who to watch and significant details of crime. Likely, Warren's business was built on promising safety from the law to thieves. If someone were to refuse or step out of line then significant evidence would be turned over to Captain.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 12:46 PM

Farley desperately wanted to believe that the captain was just deep undercover, but as Farley watched from underneath the bush it became increasingly obvious that he wasn't. Was Farley now the thing he had fought so hard against? Had he unknowingly become a criminal by association? Farley suddenly felt wrong and dirty. He had been used and right now there was nothing he wanted more that a just too hot shower.

Farley cursed under breath, but didn't dare to move. On the porch, the captain put out a hand for a handshake but is quickly drawn in for a hug.

"So have any suspects in the ruin our plans case yet?" Warren asked the Captain.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 12:51 PM

"I've put every man I have on it," replied the captain. "I will make good on our promise."

Even from underneath the bush Farley could see Warren tense. Veins suddenly appeared more visible all across his body.

"Your promise is already broken," said Warren, "and I'm drawing weary of being patient."

"You know competition will arise," started the captain. "This was expected it. I handle the problems as they arise, but you need to give me time to do my part."

"Time?" Warren was talking in low volume, but a harsh tone. "It has never taken you this long to handle a problem. I can't pay you for services you don't complete and at this rate no one will be getting paid."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 12:55 PM

"That's a sacrifice we will all have to make," said the captain. "I risk my job and my freedom daily for you. If you and yours have to loose a penny here or there then so be it."

"We aren't talking pennies anymore Cap' and you know it," Warren spit as the words fell out of his mouth. "It's not just money we are losing. They are doubting me. If we cannot protect them then we have nothing to sell. They will go rogue. I will be reduced to pulling my own jobs and you will go back to a low wage life if you're lucky. If you aren't lucky, you will be behind bars."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 12:59 PM

"You worry to much," the captain's tone was pleasant despite Warren's anger. "They know if they turn me in then I will talk. Freedom is still a service we sell. I suggest you watch your tone when you talk to me. I enjoy having a go-between so I do not have to deal with thieves directly, but they know my face now. They know it is me who sells what they want. Do not think this means I don't appreciate your part, but know that I could easily fill it."

Warren stood stunned for a second before speaking, "very well, but I can't pay you money we didn't make."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 1:02 PM

A crooked smile crossed the captains face. Farley thought it made the captain look truly evil. It was a look Farley had never before seen on the captain's face.

"I have all of my men on it and all will be handled soon," said Captain. "I even have my best rat on the job."

Warren did not reply, but instead walked into his home and slammed the door behind him. Although it was a rude action the captain did not seem bothered by it in the slightest. It wasn't until the captain turned and began to walk away that a frown crossed his face.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 1:06 PM

Rat. The word made Farley shudder. He could feel heat rising within him threatening to form flames on the surface of his skin. Farley fought to control the flames, but despite his best efforts sparks slowly fell from the end of his tail.

The captain had only ever called him his "informant" to his face. This was the first time Farley had heard someone else refer to him as a "rat". He had been known as a Rattegan and had called himself a rat, but only ever in his head. He had hoped that others did not think of him in the same lowly way he thought of himself.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/15/2020 1:09 PM

A rustle in the grass from a few yards away shook Farley out of his emotional state. The sparks immediately ceased their dance from Farley's tail like someone had shut off music in a crowded ballroom. Farley's head jerked in the direction of the captain. The captain was still walking with his back turned to Farley. Farley looked to Warren's home. Warrens shadow was visible in the front window.

If it wasn't Warren and it wasn't the captain there was only one logical conclusion. The creature robbing the rich and giving to the poor was here. Farley was about to meet his robin hood.

[Wild Pet Found]
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous