The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: Piper's Story

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 3:41 PM

"If I do all the work than what do you and Farley do?" asked Piper.

"I'm a researcher," said Laura. "I find possible sightings of new or endangered species and send you to either confirm or capture. Farley is a scout. He will go to any sites that need to be vetted for safety before sending you. He is also able to go on jobs that just require confirmation. He's not much for capture though."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1243
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 3:44 PM

"I don't understand," said Piper. "This case here is neither of those things."

"There aren't a lot of local cases for hunting I'm afraid," said Laura. "Farley refuses to spend a long time away from his home so that held us back. We were forced into a private investigation situation. It's where Farley has experience."

"He's a police informant?" asked Piper.

"Retired."

"So that threat he made to me was just that," spit Piper, becoming enraged.

"Yes," replied Laura, "but it was more than that. It was an offer for a better life."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 3:48 PM

Piper wanted to argue, but she knew Laura was right. It was only a matter of time before she would be caught by someone with a real title. If she stayed on this path she was sure to end up behind bars.

"So where am I headed?" asked Piper.

"You are headed to a homeless shelter on the south side. Jackson has began dabbling in thievery himself and his mother is concerned for him. Farley is already there."

Piper nodded and headed to the door.

"Good luck," said Laura, as the door shut behind Piper.
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 10:47 PM

Farley was getting tired of arguing with Jackson.

"Your mother is worried," pleaded Farley.

"I don't care," said Jackson. "I'll come home after I've made some real money."

"By doing what?" asked Piper, entering the room. "Stealing? I know that life well. It's not all it cracked up to be. If you're lucky like me you'll get offered a job and get out. If you're not, you end up behind bars. Do you really want to start a life where the best outcome is getting back off that path?"

Farley was surprised by Piper's sudden appearance, but even more surprised in her empathetic words.

"I just want to stop struggling," said Jackson.

"I understand that," replied Piper, "but this isn't the answer."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 10:52 PM

Finally back at the office Farley, Piper, and Laura were all celebrating. Both Farley and Piper drank a whiskey on the rocks while Laura sipped on an herbal tea.

"Are you the sober type?" asked Piper. "I'm sorry. That was rude of me."

"No worries little one," said Laura. "I do partake on occasion, but prefer my herbal teas. This one will make my mind particularly sharp. I have to find you a new case for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" said Piper. "We just finished one today."

"Welcome to the team," said Farley. "No worries, you can refuse and accept jobs as you please. Just remember, you only get paid for completed cases."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 10:55 PM

The next morning Piper showed up to the office early. He expected to be the first one there, but Laura had beaten him. He was beginning to suspect she never slept, researching all night long.

"So what do you have for me?" asked Piper.

"I actually have two hunts set up for you," replied Laura. "Bonus! They are both local and you can work on them at the same time. I have a party interested in a lost baskerville and/or Sabbit."

Laura slid the file over to Piper.

"Look it over and let me know if you have any questions."

"I do have one," said Piper. "Where is the salt?"
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby amanda784 » 11/16/2020 10:59 PM

About fifteen minutes later Farley walked through the door.

"Good morning you two," he said cheerfully.

He looked happily upon the steaming cup of coffee sitting at his desk. He sat down and took a long sip. Then, he immediately spit it out.

"Yuck!" he cried, "what is that?"

Both Laura and Piper were laughing to hard to reply.

"Real funny you two," said Farley. "I like my coffee black. No cream. No sugar. Definitely no salt!"

Farley's tone was stern, but he ended his rant with a chuckle.

"I'm going to have to keep my eyes wide open around you Piper," said Farley. "Laura I hope you have another cup of your perfectly brewed coffee ready. I know you were in on this."
amanda784
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous