The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

(*The UnderBet Cavern*)

Postby Jaykobell » 09/20/2008 12:17 PM

In the darkest alley of the Slums, this one, strange shop can be found if you dare to take a look. Hidden behind a rusty wooden door and lighted with the limited strength of two torches, the entrance is right by your sight... Simply grab the cold metallic handle and step inside... If you dare...

A dim-lighted area is what awaits you inside. Tables are sullied with rotten foods and empty bottles, some chairs and tables turned upside down, probably from previous fights. A few holes, probably created by some gun bullets, can be seen all over the room. The lamps that are hanging from the ceiling constantly cradle themselves as they try to light the room as best they can...

Up front is the main counter, one that is just as unclean as the tables and the floor (which is very sticky in some places). Upon the wooden structure stands a woman, one most likely in her twenties.

The woman in question is of average height, perhaps around five feet five inches. Her short silver and black hair barely reaches her shoulders, and her ocean-blue eyes are scanning the area gingerly... As she sees you looking around, she invites you to the counter, onto which two torches stood. "Welcome, traveler," she greets you. "Do you know where you are? This is an old tavern; but because of many deaths, it was shut down." She chuckled lightly. "Does that scare you already? Oh, but don't leave just yet..."

She brings onto the counter a few papers, ones speaking of a certain tournament at Nesai Arena; they mention Keystones and bets... Curious, you decide to take a quick look while trying to keep an eye on possible upcoming firearms...

.:Rules on Betting:.

*If you were right and won, your winning money shall the double of the amount you bet.*

*If you wish to bet, please make sure to Bold your bet, and how many Keystones you wish to bet. You need a minimum of 20 Keystones to have a valid bet.*

*Bets shall not be cancelled. If you bet on a contestant, you bet on that one, and that's that.*

*You may not bid on multiple battlers. You may bet on a single one.*

*Do not donate the Keystones to anyone; they shall be subtracted from you automatically.*

*Do not PM me to bet or to receive your winning money; they shall be distributed in due time, and your bet shall be noted down as soon as I can.*

"Simply enough, yes?" the Ancient Kuhna asks, hoping you've understood everything. "Now... Let us go onto the second page."

.:Special Arena Sale:.

*Depending on various and random circumstances, if you choose to place your bet here, your amount of Keystones will be multiplied by three. Yes, you've read this right: three times your original bet! However, be wary; the conditions here may not always be easy to fill...*

*Be aware that you must choose this type of betting by the first round! You cannot use this in between rounds; or else you'd be able to anticipate the final outcome of the tournament. You must apply to this bet before the first round!*

"Think you can fit into those?" she asks you with an icy chuckle. "So many have lost when bidding... but when you win... the amount is worth it... I heard you may obtain more than three times your amount. But then again, that's rare too." She then indicates you to the third and final page...

.:Betting Types:.

*You may bet on one of the two leading pets. What does this mean? It means, basically, that you have to base your bet on one of the two first pets that are going to battle! So, basically, you get to bet every round of the tournament! Be careful, however; there is a limit of 150 Keystones, so your maximum bet can only be 75 Keystones per round. We call this betting type Luck Struck.

* NOTE: You must wait for the match-up grid to come out before using this bet! If you just take a wild guess, your bet will be voided.*

*You may select the pet you wish to bid on for the whole tournament. This means you can bet on any of the fighters; and every round the pet fights in and wins, 20 Keystones get added to your initial bet. Add that to your amount, and if your fighter wins, your total amount gets multiplied by two! You cannot earn more than 500 Keystones, however. We call this betting type Luck Seeker.*

With the rules finally inside your head, do you feel like betting? Quite simple, you simply need to ask the lady here at the desk... "By the way," she calls to you, waving her hand. "I am known as Nickeldime. Any bets to put in, just call me."
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 09/20/2008 12:19 PM

.:The Current Fighters:.

Rosie Peppermint - A Level 19 Feyline/Jacket Fox Lucain under the care of Freezair. Eliminated
Fei - A Level 14 Common Frightmare under the care of GrayGriffin. Eliminated
Draco - A Level 17 Blood Hollowheart under the care of Krystalolive. Eliminated
Fioray Meshkenet - A Level 20 Celestial/Mudbelly/Hearts Lucain under the care of MillietheWarrior. Eliminated
Ember - A Level 12 Common Garudor under the care of inferno. Eliminated
Rankir - A Level 19 Tundragoon under the care of Krypto. Eliminated
Venom - A Level 18 Void Battleheart under the care of J'Tal. Eliminated
Cynder - A Level 20 Vintage Striped/Belly Lucain under the care of Moofius.

.:The Current Bets:.
[ Legend: Better [KS/Fighter] - Bet Type ]

.:The Sale of the Week:.
[ Legend: Better [KS/Fighter] - Special Condition ]

*For this week's bid, we thought, hey, why not try your luck? If you can guess which species of pet will win, we'll give you three times your bet! But be careful; if you choose the wrong species, you will lose your money completely!*

*NOTE: If you're betting on a Lucain winning, you need to tell me ONE marking! If a Lucain owns the marking you bet on, you win. If it does not, then it's the same as losing.*

* NOTE: If you're not choosing a Lucain, you must include a COLOR! Or else your bet is invalid and does not count! (e.g: Blood Hollowheart)*
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[2]

Postby Jaykobell » 03/13/2009 3:43 PM

It was such a relief for the arena to be working again. It had taken months, but finally, two contestants had showed up to try their luck. She was afraid her business would crumble down; how would she face him then? It wouldn't be very good if her tavern wouldn't last. And she liked her tavern.

Nickeldime put up the brand new list of fighters on the billboard, along with the special requirements needed for the special bet. Hopefully, this would attract people; she really missed those people. The tavern had been so empty out of late, apart from her good friends that would sometimes pay her a visit. But a lot were afraid of the Slums now; so they just didn't come. A sigh. "All up," she said to no one in particular.

She slipped back behind the counter and stared at the door, waiting for some bidders to show up.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: (*The UnderBet Cavern*)

Postby J'Tal » 03/17/2009 3:08 PM

Two men walk into the tavern. One is wearing a brown duster with a large sword on his back. The other human’s main distinguishing feature is that his eyes are black.

“I am J’Tal,” the one wearing the coat states. He then indicates his partner. “this is Venom. I heard that this is where the betting takes place.”

After reading all the papers, J’Tal makes his decision.

“I would like to do a Luck Seeker bet of 20 KS.”

When asked who they would be betting on, Venom speaks up. “On me! Do you think we would bet on anyone else!?!”

“Venom!” J’Tal admonishes him. “Calm down.” Looking back to Nickledime, he asks; “Are we allowed to do different kinds of bets? Such as if I can put 40 KS on Venom’s first fight as well?”

You see things that are and ask "Why?"
I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
ImageImageImageImageImage
(click on an image to level them)
ImageImageImageImage

Image Image Image
J'Tal
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 65
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 03/24/2009 3:46 PM

It had been a while since he bothered coming to this realm. Then again, it had actually taken him some amount of time just to recover from the last time he had been about. The tournaments seemed interesting though. There were a few that he'd certainly keep an eye on. Eivr had offered to come here for him, but eventually he decided to go himself. It was sad that none of the Lucain had common markings to increase his chance for a bet, but he had finally made up his mind to bet on.

"I shall place a Luck Struck bid for Cynder under the max amount, which is 150 keystones I believe? Or did you mean that 150 is the max outcome?" He wanted to make sure that was right, since he didn't see it written quite clearly. "I would also like to place a Luck Seeker bet on Cynder, but this time only for 50 keystones."

Looking at the different types of bet it seemed as though he wasn't quite done yet. "I'll make one more bet.. I'll take the sale of the week for 100 keystones placed on a Lucain with the belly marking."
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate

[3]

Postby Jaykobell » 03/25/2009 5:11 PM

"Aye, misunderstandings with the rules?" She dragged the rule book forward and fiddled through the pages. "Expected, I suppose."

To Venom, she replied, "You can bet on both, yes. However, you can use the Luck Seeker type only for the match that's going to happen, and you need the match-up grill for that." She took out a copy of the current grid. "See, the first battle is between Cynder and Ember. Your bet can go to either Cynder or Ember. When the second round comes, you can bet either on Draco or Fei. That's how it works; you bet every match on one of the two battlers. But you can't bet on a fighter that's going to come along later. You'll bet on 'em when their turn actually comes around. But your first bet was recorded."

Needless to say the smoke and the Khimera didn't quite impress her. She'd worse a lot of things from being friendly with a family that was far from being righteous. "Bet recorded," she said pretty much to herself as the Khimera vanished with a laugh.

"Oh, you can't get any more than 150KS from the bet." While it was mentioned in the actual bet description, she did admit you could skip it if you it quickly and didn't pay much attention. And that's not what betters want, do they? "I'm gonna revise that right now. Meanwhile, I can put your bet to 75KS. That'll win you 150KS," she proposed, keeping the first bet for later on. "But I've got your two other bets taken down."

Was that it? Only three betters? It'd prove to be a very boring tournament is that were the case...
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby J'Tal » 03/26/2009 7:42 PM

"Ah, I see." J'Tal murmers. "In that case," he says speaking up, "I would like to bet on Cynder, for this match. And I will bet on Venom when his round comes around."

"So," Venom says, with an small smirk. "you are only starting off the betting with 20 KS? You realize that is kind of pathetic."

After giving Venom a dirty look, J'Tal addresses Nickeldime. "Can I raise my inital bet to 60?"

ImageImageImageImage

Image Image Image
J'Tal
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 03/29/2009 1:36 AM

Well of course Oimohe wouldn't show up here twice. Once was enough to show his interest, so now he could just send his underling to take care of his business. Taxikoth let out a small sigh as he looked at the stats of the contestants. "I'd like to place.... 60 Keystones on Draco the Blood Hollowheart winning this match. Luck Struck type of bid of course." He handed over the keystones he had been given and walked away. The less time he spent here the better.
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate

Postby J'Tal » 04/01/2009 12:27 AM

"For the second match, I would like my Luck Seeker bet to go on Fei, the Common Frightmare." J'Tal states this matter of factly. "I know she is lower level, but I think she has some good traits."

"I am just voting for the opponent of the Hollowheart." Venom says smuggly.

"Don't be rude." J'Tal snaps. "We are competitors, and need to act professionally."

"Whatever." Comes the mumbled reply.

ImageImageImageImage

Image Image Image
J'Tal
Master Pet Trainer
Master Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

[4]

Postby Jaykobell » 04/01/2009 6:20 PM

"Bet recorded," the Silver Ancient told the unusual Shimin, even though he'd already gone by the time she was done recording his bet. She puffed her cheeks and sighed. "People are so impatient." First the Khimera, and then the Moonling, and then the Shimin. Well, the Slums weren't exactly a very friendly place, taken...

Turning back to J'Tal and Venom, the Silver Ancient just frowned and lifted an eyebrow in confusion. "You should check the rules again," she proposed as she pushed the rule book towards the two. "Once you've betted on someone, you can't change your bet. Unless you meant a Luck Struck bet instead of Luck Seeker. And no, you can't increase your bet, sorry. Gotta be sure of what you're throwing in the bank when doing this thing," she explained as she hovered back to the middle of the counter. She would have expected a lot more people to come and bet, but there wasn't anyone. What a shame...
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 04/14/2009 10:36 PM

Sent on another errand... what was he, a delivery boy? Messenger boy? Gah, whatever. Growling to himself, he entered the cavern and strode up to the desk. Around his neck was a note, "Bet please?" he asked in a moody manner as he slid the paper from it's string.

Luck Struck bet on Venom, amount 50ks, please.

[ Money subtracted. ]
[ Winning money sent. ]
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/19/2009 6:38 PM

Shade walked casually up to the counter. "Hello. Nickledime, is it?" she asked coolly. "I'm here to place a Luck Struck bet on Rankir, the Tundragoon. 50 KS, if you please." Shade fluttered her giant wings impatiently, excited about the upcoming fight on May 23rd. "That will be all."

[ Money subtracted. ]

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Moofius » 05/19/2009 11:22 PM

Man on man... She really didn't like betting, made her nervously, but she had a feeling. She was gonna' make a bet and then in the last fight she'd bet on Cynder, but, first things first.

The place was rather dark, but then the slums wasn't the brightest place in all of Evelon, either.
"Hey," the cow anthro said, pulling out a little bag; its contents clicked together noisily.
"I'd like to to make a Luck Struck bet on Rankir, The Tundragoon." She shook out the bag, KS piling up on the counter, it wasn't a huge ammount. She'd save the bigger bets for Cynder.
"30 KS, Please and thank you."
The KS was swept back into the bag and the bag was tossed to Nickeldime. She'd brought the amount of KS she planned to bet, nothing more, nothing less. She wasn't in the mood to get robbed.

[ Money subtracted. ]
Image :.: The Sun Will Always Shine For The Imperials :.: Image
:.: Let Us Free You From The Darkness Of Ignorance And Weakness :.:

PenWishBreedJournalTradeRecord
Moofius
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1065
Donate

[5]

Postby Jaykobell » 05/24/2009 9:17 PM

The Ancient Kuhna watched as three customers strode in. She noted the bets down and gave to the Kuhna his winning money from his bet. "Good bet ya did, kid," she replied with a grin, a purr escaping her. Not a lot of people were betting, eh. What a dull tournament this was, at least for her side of things.

As for the other two, she noted their bets down. "A'right, ya've been recorded, and the money taken," she said as she scribbled their names in her notebook, taking their Keystone-filled pouches afterwards. "You gonna receive your money back double if ya win; but nothin' if lose. Good luck, then!" she wished the two with a flick of her tails.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Owl » 06/16/2009 3:31 PM

Red eyes glared out from the thunderstorm outside, rain striking the ground like gunshots. The glacial beast trotted towards the metal door stranded in the dark alley, and yanked it open with a strong pull. Inside, he shook the water off without remorse, possibly splattering a few of the costumers.
"Hey, nice joint ya got 'ere." he yipped, strolling towards where Nickledime stood. "Piacere, miss. The don wanted to place a little bet on a friend of ours, Venom."
He browsed over the types of bets, muttering quietly. "Ah, how about a Luck Struck for 70 KS, yes? I think that will please the boss." He dished out the KS, the coins clanking on the table.

[ Money subtracted. ]
she said one day to leave her, sand up to her shoulders waiting for the tide
to drag her to the ocean, to another sea's shore.
this thing hurts like hell,
but what did you expect?

and all you can hear is the sound of your own heart
and all you can feel is your lungs flood and the blood course
but oh I can see five hundred years dead set ahead of me,
five hundred behind,
a thousand years in perfect symmetry...
Owl
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 217