The beautiful, clear waters of Nodia are a popular destination for swimmers, divers, and aquatic creatures alike. It is home to a wide array of natural wonders: coral reefs, kelp forests, and even an underwater river! (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nodia Sea

Re: Chapter 9: Beaches and Castaways [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:15 PM

"Hello!"

M.J. turned slightly as a trio of women called out to her on the side of the path. She glanced up the dirt walkway, then back to the women, and decided that they must've been talking to her. "Uh, yeah…hi," she called back, intent on getting back to the house she was staying at before she froze to death in the shade; just because the sun was out, didn't mean it wasn't cold when you were wet.

"Ve talk, yes?" the woman called again in broken English, and M.J. closed her eyes against the headache she could feel coming on.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:16 PM

("Sure,") she replied in German, startling the three woman as she turned and fixed them with an expectant stare.

("Well,") the first one began again, casting mischievous glances to her two companions. ("When you came into town, we were certain you were all men. Now we see you, and you are a woman! Why do you dress like a man? You are so filthy and disgusting!") Her two friends tittered idiotically, and M.J. could feel her eyebrow twitching in annoyance.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:16 PM

("Look, lady. I don't know who you are, or what right you have to judge me, but I've been through hell and back because of you and your fucking army, so if I wanna dress like a God damn man, I sure as hell will! And if I want to curse like a God damn man, then I will fucking do as I like, do you understand?")

The three women's eyes had gone wide as saucers, and they took a few, cautionary steps back, suddenly wondering if they made the right choice in calling out to her+. ("So the next time you want to cast stones, stop and take a look at your own damn country, and back the fuck off! Got it?")

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:17 PM

By the time she finished, M.J.'s chest was heaving, breathing ragged as her fists clenched on the towel. The three women seemed to rethink their idea of 'talking' with the young lietenant, and instantly fled down the path, taking off at a very unladylike pace. M.J. watched them go, feeling a constriction in her chest that hadn't been there before.

Did she really look so much like a man?

What did Joe think? He obviously cared about her, but did he think she looked like a dirty, filthy man? What if he decided, when they got back home, that he wanted a pretty, well-made-up housewife instead of a scruffy, soldier-girl? What if he wanted nice smiles and make-up, and dresses and she couldn't give him that? What if…?

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:18 PM

"M.J.?"

M.J. turned to see Joe strolling along the path, looking as though he'd been dunked one too many times. He had a towel around his neck, and was scrubbing furiously at his hair. "You all right? You look a little flustered."

"Yeah, I'm all right," M.J. replied, glancing up the path and the way the three women had gone. "Just thinkin'…"

"Thinkin' 'bout what?" Joe asked, following her gaze curiously, but seeing nothing. He looked back down at M.J., wondering what was wrong. "You sure you're all right?" He paused, waiting for an answer, but none came. "M.J.?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:50 PM

"Do you…do you like me the way I am, Joe?"

Joe blinked, confused, before stepping in her path. Her head was down, chin nestled close to her chest, and he was unable to catch her eyes. "Hey," he murmured. "What's all this about?" He tucked his fingers beneath her chin, and lifted her face to see apprehension shining in her eyes. "What do you mean? Of course I do! M.J….I love you. I love everything about you."

Her eyes widened slightly, and she blinked. "You-you do?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:51 PM

"Of course I do! You didn't think I asked you to marry me because I kind of liked you just a little bit? I love you. I really do. You're an amazing woman, M.J. Now, I don't know what made you ask such a silly question, but you forget about it right now. You're my best friend, my girl, my soon to be wife. Don't you dare think otherwise."

M.J.'s eyes seemed to shine with an emotion Joe couldn't quite place, and he worried he was going to make her cry, when she threw her arms around his neck so suddenly, she nearly knocked him backwards. "Oh, Joe, I love you too! Thank you. You know just what to say to put a gal's mind at ease." She peppered his cheek with kisses, before pressing her lips to his. He wound his arms around her, holding her close, both entirely unmindful of their surroundings.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:51 PM

"Ain't that sweet? Now how come I can't find me a girl like that?"

Joe and M.J. broke apart, leaping nearly a foot away from one another with wide eyes. Bill, George, Frank, Eugene, and Babe had come along the path and caught the two red-handed. Frank was elbowing George, looking like he'd just come upon a great big bit of juicy gossip, which he might very well have. "That's cuz you got such a loud mouth that you scare them all away, Luz," he quipped, earning a smack from the aforementioned 'loud mouth.'

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:52 PM

"Well, well, what do we got here? Did mine ears deceive me when I heard the word 'wife'?" Bill asked, striding forward with his hands on his hips. "Tell me I wasn't hallucinatin', eh, Babe?"

Babe pretended to look thoughtful, before he folded his arms and shook his head. "Nah, Bill. I think I heard it too. What about you, Gene?"

Eugene smiled in his soft way, and chuckled deeply. "I reckon I heard it too. Somethin' you been keepin' from us, lieutenant?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

M.J. scowled, a blush spreading across her cheeks as Joe looked anywhere but at the men. "Well, fine, you eavesdroppers. Joe asked me to marry him, and I said yes. Ya happy?"

Bill let out a whoop and clapped Joe on the back, nearly pitching his friend face first into the dirt. "Well, why the hell didn't you say something sooner? We've got to celebrate!" Joe mimicked M.J.'s scowl, looking faintly put out.

"We didn't want it spreadin' around. It won't be good if any of the higher-ups get wind of it, ya know?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Bill scoffed. "We won't tell anyone, will we boys?" He looked over his shoulder at the four men behind him who were trying very hard not to burst into laughter. "Ahem. Will we boys?"

"No sir!" they immediately chorused, before they succumbed to their laughter and nearly knocked one another over as they doubled over in hilarity.

"It ain't funny," M.J. grumbled, but a smile quickly replaced her scowl as she glanced at Joe, who's face was beet red. "Aw, come on. Maybe it's better this way. Now we can all celebrate together. I bet we could even scrounge up some booze, huh?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:53 PM

"I like the way the lady thinks!" Bill chirped, slinging an arm over M.J.'s shoulders. "Now what say we all get cleaned up and celebrate this nice and proper like?"

"Sounds like a plan to me, Bill," Joe finally said as he smacked Frank on the back of the head to get him to stop laughing.

"Ow, hey!"

George smacked him too, wearing a cheeky grin. "Shut up, Perco."

And then, without warning, M.J. smacked him too.

"Ow, Jesus! What the hell? What was that for? Why does everyone keep hitting me?"

M.J. shrugged and smiled cheekily, skipping off down the path. "I was feeling left out!"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:53 PM

After the celebration (which had lasted longer than either anticipated and involved all the men billeted in the same house who had miraculously gained knowledge of the engagement seemingly upon them walking through the door), M.J. and Joe had snuck away back to the lake. They'd cuddled up beside it, watching the moon shine off the surface and the water rippling on the shore.

"How much longer you think we'll be here?"

Joe leaned against the wall bordering the edge of the lake, booted feet crossed at the ankle. He had an arm slung over M.J.'s shoulder, and his eyes were closed, right up until she spoke. He cracked open an eye and regarded her tiredly, before he chuckled and pulled her close. He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, and she closed her eyes briefly with a smile.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:54 PM

"I like to keep that as far from my mind as possible. I find the time passes by quicker if I don't think about it."

M.J. grumbled but leaned into his embrace. "Again with that answer...You may not like to think about it, but I do. I wanna go home, Joe."

Joe was silent, his face pensive, before he looked down at her. "I never asked where you live," he murmured quietly. "I never asked where you were going to go back to after this was all over. Where…M.J.?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 10:54 PM

M.J. was silent as well, before she spoke in a soft, whisper-like voice. "Yonkers, New York."

New York? Christ, that was quite a ways from Pennsylvania. What was he going to do if she wanted to stay there, with her family and her friends? Despite the step they'd taken in the relationship, Joe still wasn't sure what would really happen once they got back home.

"Joe? Remember when I said you were stuck with me for life?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext