The beautiful, clear waters of Nodia are a popular destination for swimmers, divers, and aquatic creatures alike. It is home to a wide array of natural wonders: coral reefs, kelp forests, and even an underwater river! (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nodia Sea

Chapter 9: Beaches and Castaways [P]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 7:59 PM

He took a deep breath as their feet took them around the side of a building, to a deserted alleyway. "I guess what I'm trying to say is…I don't want to think of a life without you. I don't want a life without you. So…"

M.J. felt her breath catch in her throat when Joe suddenly dipped out of her line of sight and she pivoted on her heel to see him kneeling in front of her, dark eyes staring up at her with an unreadable expression. "Will you marry me?"

"You big idiot," M.J. grumbled, feeling unwanted tears prick at the corner of her eyes. She hastily wiped them away, lest he see and use it as fodder for a later joke. "Of course I will."

-----

Zell Am Zee in Austria was one of the most beautiful places any of them had ever seen.

No one had really wanted to leave the Eagle's Nest or Berchtesgaden, until they saw Austria, of course.

But it wasn't as if there was a sudden army-wide vacation. Just because their location was beautiful, didn't mean they were off duty. Many of the men were stuck in Europe because they didn't have enough points to go home, and they were delegated to tasks such as directing refugees, resettlement efforts and accepting the surrender of the German Troops.

(Continuation of Chapter 8)

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Chapter 9: Beaches and Castaways [P]

For some, tensions and old hatreds were hard to forget, and there were squabbles and skirmishes among the surrendered Germans and some of the American soldiers. But for the most part, it was peaceful.

From time to time, bad things would happen; Private Janovic was killed in a car accident, and Sergeant Grant was shot in the head by an inebriated man. But for the most part, things went along smoothly.

The men of easy even fixed a lottery held to give the points necessary to send a man home so that Shifty Powers could return to the U.S. An auto accident kept him from returning on time, but he eventually made it back home in one piece.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Joe and M.J., however, hadn't told anyone, including Bill, of what had transpired at Berchtesgaden. Both seemed content to carry on the way they had been and neither felt it was the time nor place to air their 'big news' to the world, or at least to the Company. Besides, they liked their privacy, or at least, what little of it they could get.

"Guess what?"

Joe had the air knocked out of him as he was practically tackled out of his chair by a flying M.J. Bill stared a the two for a moment, before he burst into uncontrollable laughter. "Man, Joe, I knew she had ya whipped, but that's just ridiculous!"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 8:00 PM

"Hey Bill?"

"Yeah?"

"Shut up."

M.J. scowled from where she sat on the floor, practically smothering Joe beneath her. "Knock it off you two; I actually do have something to tell you, you know."

"All right, princess, what is it?" Bill asked, leaning forward a bit in his chair. M.J.'s scowl deepened at the nickname, but she let it pass.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"Okay, so, you know how there's that big lake right?"

"Yeah."

"And you know how everyone around here is always doing drills and stuff to prepare for the launch over to the pacific?"

"Yeah…"

"Well guess what?"

"What?"

"We got a day off. We're going swimming. At the 'beach.'"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Bill grinned widely. "No shit? How'd that happen?" M.J. shrugged innocently, looking faintly amused.

"Dunno, but it sure will be nice. Don't get me wrong; showers are great and all, but nothing beats a nice swim in the sunshine. Right?"

"Well, if we get to see you in a bathing suit, I think we'll all be fine and dandy, eh?"

This time, it wasn't M.J. who scowled, but Joe. "You keep them rovin' eyes to yourself, Wild Bill," he grumbled, folding his arms tightly where he still sat beneath an overly amused lieutenant.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 8:01 PM

"Besides," M.J. continued for him. "No way I'm gonna be caught dead in some stupid swimsuit. You'll just have to settle for some borrowed PT gear and be content with that."

"Youz two take all the fun out of everything."

----------

PT gear, Joe decided, could burn in hell and rot there for the rest of eternity.

Even his open glares and growls were doing very little to deter the men who'd ventured down to join in the swim from staring at M.J. She was a woman after all, and even if she was taken (And everyone was well aware of this fact) they couldn't help but stare dazedly and grin like idiots.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:09 PM

The shorts were a size too big, and the snug fitting tank top that was usually worn under her fatigues really did nothing to hide…anything. At all. Not that it was lewd or anything. She couldn't help that the water did funny things to the color white, and to her credit, she did cover her top half with a towel once Joe had quietly told her he wasn't too keen on the color of her shirt.

He was currently teaching Bill the meaning of 'keep your eyes to yourself' in the manner of dunking him under and seeing how long he could hold his breath, while M.J. sat on the beach, basking in the warm sun, and wrapped in a large, fluffy towel. She barely noticed Eugene as he settled down next to her, looking all too amused at the antics of the two sergeants and the men cheering or egging them on.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:10 PM

"How's it goin' Eugene?" M.J. asked, cracking open one eye to smile over at the soft-spoken medic.

"It's goin'," he drawled, leaning back on his hands. "What's goin' on here? Are they having some sort of contest?"

M.J. snorted, and opened both eyes, chancing a look at the scene playing out in the shallows of the lake. Bill currently had Joe in a headlock, and it looked like they were having more fun than doing any harm. "Yeah, a contest to see how stupid you can be," she muttered. "Something about me wearing these clothes and other guys bein' able to see me, or something along those lines. If you ask me, I deserve a little bit of freedom after all this. Can't even go for a swim without someone getting' their pants tied up in knots."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:11 PM

Gene smiled secretly, and M.J. cast him a suspicious look. "What?"

"Nothing. Just wondering about you and the sergeant, is all."

"Who, me and Joe? What about us?" M.J. plucked at the edge of her towel a little nervously, a fact that hadn't escaped Gene's sharp gaze.

"Well, I imagine there's been a shift in your relationship at some point. I can see the way ya'll look at one another. And beggin' your pardon, but it looks like you two are a mite bit closer than before."

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:11 PM

"Yeah, you could say that," M.J. said with an amused shrug. "You could say we're engaged, although I don't even really know what to call it. I've never been this far in any relationship before…heck, I haven't even had a real relationship before. I guess it's nice to know it ain't some war time fancy that'll fade once we get back home. How about you?"

At Gene's questioning look, and smiled, and nudged his shoulder with her own. "You send one o' them rings back to that gal of yours?"

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:12 PM

Gene blushed so darkly, she was quite confident that comparing him to a tomato wouldn't even do him justice. "W-well, I did, an I'm just waitin' on her reply, is all. I sure do hope it didn't get lost in the mail."

"Aw, Gene, don't you worry 'bout it. I'm sure you'll get a reply in no time with a great big ol' YES!" She laughed loudly at the blush that once more darkened his cheeks, and failed to notice that Joe's attention was now focused on her instead of Bill.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:12 PM

Joe trudged back up the beach, looking flushed and faintly annoyed, though he still smiled down at M.J. "What's goin' on here?" he asked, raising a brow. "Should I be jealous of all the attention you're getting?"

"Nah," M.J. waved him off. "Gene and I were just talking about matters of the heart." Her gaze followed him as he flopped down in the soft sand beside her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:14 PM

"Matters of the heart?" Joe asked quietly, his gaze searching her face. M.J. merely smiled reassuringly, and Joe nodded silently, as though taking that as a good enough answer. The three of them looked up when a shadow blotted out the sun.

"Hey Joe, mind if I borrow M.J.?" Bill asked, before he bent down and, without waiting for an answer, scooped a startled M.J. up and threw her over the shoulder. She shrieked, the sound accompanied by the barks of laughter from the men, including Eugene and Joe, as Bill waded out into the water.

"I swear, Bill, if you throw me in I'm gonna-"

"Too late!"

Needless to say, M.J. spent the next hour or so teaching Bill the meaning of 'woman's wrath.'

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 05/27/2013 9:14 PM

-----------

M.J. grumbled all the way back to her quarters.

She'd left Bill and Joe to 'duke it out' so to speak, about whether or not throwing her in the water was a good idea. After a goodbye to the rest of the guys, and a clipped farewell to her fiancé and his friend, she'd begun trudging back along the path, shivering in wet PT gear and a towel.

On the way there, however, she ran into some trouble. Well, perhaps not trouble per say, but M.J. saw it as trouble. And it came in the form of tittering girls and sidelong glances, coupled with some snarky remarks.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next