The beautiful, clear waters of Nodia are a popular destination for swimmers, divers, and aquatic creatures alike. It is home to a wide array of natural wonders: coral reefs, kelp forests, and even an underwater river! (+2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Nodia Sea

Re: Plastic Beach [P: Feint & cloudwilk]

Postby cloudwilk » 06/23/2016 3:13 PM

((I'm 20 but I'm curious to see what you would've guessed. I always feel like I sound older online but then everyone goes and guesses I'm 12 @.@ You're making me REALLY want to go see to the movies and see Finding Dory, though >.> Now I'm thinking of the movies and popcorn and all that jazz... and then order pizza. Ugh... maybe even bake cookies...))

"No problem!" Elgyn smiled as he quickly moved back into the clean water, diving underneath the surface and coming back up with a few twirls in between. "I just came from the east and will probably be headed south-west to try and find something." He looked over at the continent of plastic before turning his attention back to Cahir, "Wasn't sure if you already had plans of where you were headed, but you can join me if you want." The water was rolling steadily and the sky was still the perfect image of a sunny day- Cerulean with a few clouds here and there. There was certainly no sign of a storm nearby for awhile.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 270
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/23/2016 4:12 PM

((I would've guessed mid teens, lol. You do sound young, ngl. x'D Khadgar's actor is 26, but he looks 17 and if he shaved he'd look about ten. The character he's playing canonically does not have any facial hair but he threw a massive fit and wouldn't shave his. I don't blame him, lol. Also, yum cookies...))

Cahir hesitated. Leaving sounded lovely, but the tide... Well, he couldn't stop it.

"All right," he sighed. "I may as well. I can't do anything about this," he said, gesturing to the plastic island. "I just hope there aren't too many more between us and our destination."

"Before we get too set on this," he said quickly, "I can't swim long distances. Would you mind if I rested on your back occasionally, if there's nothing nearby to sit on?"

My wraiths, though not wraiths then, wandered deep into the heart of the polar storm. They tried to fight sleep, naive to the inevitability of their fate. When they awoke, they saw before them my own self, so much a part of the ice and cold they almost fail to see me. I wear a crown of the coldest, sturdiest ice, and my claws and fur have coated themselves in it.
I stand aloof to the cold, for I have lived in it so long, been a part of it so long, it no longer concerns me.

My wraiths are cursed to wander the polar tundra, eternally freezing, following mortal explorers and trying to warn them with their presence that they should not travel onward, should not make the same mistake. But there will always be those who persist in pressing on, never knowing what they are doomed to face, or destined to suffer.

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1254
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/23/2016 5:44 PM

((To be fair, I just kind of assume everyone I come across is a mid-teen girl- just cause it's so common on virtual pet sites. It's also very typical, because of that, that people assume I'm female >.> I guess you could say I'm young at heart XD I am a cartoonist, after all.))

"Yea, no problem." Elgyn was prepared for the trip ahead, "Hopefully we don't run into many more, either." He was doubtful, however, that they wouldn't see another plastic island altogether. Afterall Cahir said, it seemed like these things were becoming more and more common. It unnerved Elgyn a little as he wondered if he'd even find a single gorgeous reef, as word-of-mouth seemed to imply Nodia had. Was the sea slowly being eaten away? Such a catastrophe made Elgyn feel almost powerless, considering these kinds of things weren't things one being could stop (or start!) They were an accumulation of bad habits. An accumulation that would be even more difficult to reverse.

The journey south-west was fairly easy. The wide-open sea, sunny days, starry nights, all attributed to an easy adventure. The absence of plastic was also a nice contribution. Every so often, Elgyn would let Cahir rest on his back (or stomach if the likuta was asleep.) It was a pretty mutual relationship.

One afternoon, as the duo got much closer to the shores of liy'lagon, Elgyn's mind couldn't help but drift back to their first conversation. "Hey, Cahir..." Breaking the soft noise of waves and air, "The red water you were talking about... the one that kills... Can you tell me more about that? I haven't seen... that before." He immediately wondered why he felt the need to go back to that.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/23/2016 6:31 PM

((Is that Cloud down there? He's cute! &&& People always assume everyone is male in video games and female on pet sites. I'm a guy myself and I even do it. Dx Something in the water, I guess. & holy mother of god I have the most painful hiccups right now.))

"Great, thanks," Cahir said, relieved. He was not a sea creature, he was a shoreline one. His kind clung to rocky cliffs and dove as needed for food. Coming out to the island in of itself was much too great a journey for his squat little body, and he only did it for hunger's sake. He was apprehensively curious about how well he would fare going forward, but it wasn't like he could just head back.

Days passed, and he surprised himself with how sturdy he was turning out to be.

"Well..." Cahir started hesitantly, scaly brow raised. It was a bit of a sudden, dark change in direction, conversationally. "It... well, it's - hm." He scratched the back of his head. "It's not a common thing that happens, usually," he said, "But it's becoming more frequent. Almost every year."

"We've always known of the sea goddess's unpredictable rage and the devastation it causes," he said, "But never was her temper aimed at her own children. Her wrath was always directed at the land. Land's her eternal nemesis," he explained. "We were used to that, we expected that. What we never saw coming was for her waters to turn red like blood and curse us with death. Anyone that touched the red tide died, it was nothing like the plastic. You didn't even need to ingest it. Just being near it was fatal."

"Someone we once dismissed as crazy - they kept saying clay was the child of land and sea. We thought, 'That doesn't make any sense. They're like ice and fire, there can be no joining of the two. Even sand isn't partially water and it's surrounded by it. Land and sea repel each other.' But he was right, he covered himself in clay and swam through the tide, over and over, spreading clay evenly through it - and it dissipated. Her mother's love restored her to her senses. The noble fool, though, he died."

"We didn't really want to believe it, but I guess we displeased her for her to attack us like that. Only thing we can figure is that it's the garbage. We haven't been cleaning it up, we've been ignoring it," he said sadly.

My wraiths, though not wraiths then, wandered deep into the heart of the polar storm. They tried to fight sleep, naive to the inevitability of their fate. When they awoke, they saw before them my own self, so much a part of the ice and cold they almost fail to see me. I wear a crown of the coldest, sturdiest ice, and my claws and fur have coated themselves in it.
I stand aloof to the cold, for I have lived in it so long, been a part of it so long, it no longer concerns me.

My wraiths are cursed to wander the polar tundra, eternally freezing, following mortal explorers and trying to warn them with their presence that they should not travel onward, should not make the same mistake. But there will always be those who persist in pressing on, never knowing what they are doomed to face, or destined to suffer.

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/24/2016 9:12 AM

((Thanks ^^ Yea, he's basically my icon. Made him up in sixth grade and it hasn't changed :P I always feel bad about that assumption as well because I'm particularly about equality... Hey, I burnt my finger on hot glue yesterday. It was not fun typing after that @.@))

Elgyn took a moment to ingest the information. To be fair to the goddess, he'd be just as angry if he saw how people were treating the water. But how would they clean the mess up? It was difficult enough getting through it. "So... what did the clay have to do with the garbage?" He asked innocently, but once again almost regretting asking it afterwards. It didn't seem like a good idea to bring question to something that sounded so religious.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/24/2016 3:10 PM

((I got my custom order in too, but I forgot to request an aura so I'm having that done now. :l Ugh, the waiting! What were you making with hot glue?))

Cahir giggled.

"Nothing!" he said. "The trash poisons her and makes her go insane, which makes her attack us. The clay restores her."

He rolled over onto his back and paddled with his tail. He was such a slow swimmer already that it didn't change his speed noticeably at all. Somewhat impressive, in a way, since he only did this when he was starting to get tired. He sighed contentedly.

"I have no idea where to get clay," he said. "Or how to distribute it without swimming in it. It's been done, though. Humans have been seen doing it with their machines, which I thought was a lovely gesture."

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/27/2016 2:12 PM

((Sorry for the wait, I had a boatload of work to do last weekend XP The hot glue was for a plushie I was making~ Of Cloud in particular. :D It's very... novice-looking so far.))

Elgyn had been way ahead of Cahir this whole journey. Likuta's were very avid in the water and were blessed with being able to travel far and wide within it. Elgyn in particular was notable for being speedy. "Hey... If you could find the clay, I wouldn't mind taking some with me so I could spread it in farther waters. I'm real good at swimming so perhaps it wouldn't be too big a problem for me?" He paused to think about how silly he sounded, "I mean, ah never mind. I'm sure swimming in clay would be difficult. But... would it be as bad as swimming in red water?"
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/27/2016 5:46 PM

((It's okay, lol. & Oh cool! I wish I could make toys. All I can do is make expensive custom pets that I get tired of. lol...))

Cahir rolled over and put some fire into a couple paddles before rolling back onto his back again, not wanting to fall too far behind.

"You can't swim through clay," he said. "It's basically mud. You can roll in it and it sticks to you, then carry it to the tide that way... but it's not safe to swim through the red tide. You'll die." His thoughts drifted to the spout of a whale, and imagined them coming up to the red tide from below and spraying clay instead of water. It was an endearing thought, but whales couldn't do that. He sighed.

"If only we could spray it somehow..." he said.

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/27/2016 7:55 PM

((This is my first time really making a canid plush... I have done a dolphin one before, though. I am not good at it at all >.> Aw... poor expensive, custom pets. They just want affection XD))

Elgyn grew up too far from civilization to have any answers. It bewildered him a bit to think about how there's this whole world around him he just doesn't comprehend. Buildings, utilities, technology... A lot of it was comprised of mysterious shapes. He felt there had to of been something in those figures that would help, but he just wasn't able to place it.

Elgyn rolled over in the water and came back up feeling a bit refreshed. "All you need is another crazy dude to save you." He paused, "Hey, did you ever think of just sending packets of clay out into the ocean? Or... maybe on little rafts?" He paused again. Science was not his forte. Sports was.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/27/2016 11:04 PM

((Well, if it's any comfort, you're way better at it than I am. xD I can't even repair my own blanket. & I love making customs, I just don't really want to have that many pets at once. :'D))

Cahir brought a paw up to his chin and pretended to scratch thoughtfully. "'Another crazy dude,' as in one more?" he teased. "Do you have any relatives I can borrow?"

Laughing at your own jokes is somewhat uncouth, but Cahir clearly did not mind that. He laughed so hard he choked on seawater.

"Gluh!" he sputtered. "Ra-raf-(cough)-rafts? I don't know, maybe? Clay dries out fairly quickly, and it would take a very long time to get the trees from the land and drag them all the way out here. But, maybe. I would have a Plan B, though," he said.

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/28/2016 12:07 PM

((Holy canoli you do order a lot of customs 0>0))

Elgyn started laughing along with him but slowed down once he saw Cahir was about to die. He stared at him, ready to smack his back, until Cahir came back to his senses. "Well, I don't know of anyone crazy enough to try something like that..." He muttered under his breath, "Though I'm sure there's a few I could spare..." and continued, "Well... what if we got teams of people together and raced these rafts across the water! I know plenty who'd be willing to do that!"
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/28/2016 3:33 PM

((I ordered three in two weeks. xD I can't help it it's sO MuCh fUn & I started a kuhna breeding for the first time! I was never interested in breeding, but now it's easy to do, so I'm trying it. Wish me luck.))

Cahir opened his mouth to say no, then realized he was thinking about moving the rafts out over the water himself. Of course HE couldn't do it. A team of slinky likuta, on the other hand, would surely have no problem with it.

"Maybe..." he said, voice trailing off as he thought. "There's a few things I can foresee, though. One, how do we get the clay off the raft and into the red water without touching the water, two, how do we recover the raft, and three, how do we keep the clay from slipping through the slits in the raft and leaving?"

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/28/2016 7:41 PM

Elgyn took a moment to think, then responded, "Well, I guess that depends on the red water. Is it like a patch of water we can linger around, perhaps tie the rafts to ourselves with rope? Or maybe we can send some rafts out with some fellows on them and they can dump the clay in. Give them a paddle and I'm sure they'll see their way out of the waters! Once they're back out, I'm sure other likuta wouldn't mind pulling them back to shore. I could be underestimating the power of this red water, though... Just how toxic is it?"

The waters continued to rise and fall steadily, though he could feel they were getting surprisingly close to land by the slight shift in the speed.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Feint » 06/28/2016 8:41 PM

"Everyone who's ever touched it has died," Cahir said grimly. "People have even died because they touched someone that touched it. Going anywhere near it carries with it an astronomical risk. Even throwing a fistful of clay can be a terrible mistake if it splashes."

Cahir noticed the change in the water too, and ducked down to check. He popped back up, excited. "There's a reef down here!" he exclaimed. "Come and see!"

It was quite a ways down, but the water was clear enough that it could be seen. Though mulled in color from their vantage point, closer inspection - particularly with a light - procured all sorts of wonderful colors, all seven and then some. Fish darted in every direction.

Feint
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby cloudwilk » 06/29/2016 2:21 PM

"Hm. That is a problem..." Elgyn replied before the exciting news of the reef took the conversation. Elgyn was ahead of the game when he heard about it. It was exactly what he came out to the Nodia Sea for! Within seconds he was down there, scraping along the rainbow coral and causing schools of fish to scatter. Mhm... He sure was hungry... He picked a few small ones off, hoping not to threaten the fish community too much. Afterall, he was more curious than hungry for them.

He flinched quickly as a sudden sting surged up his leg. He looked back to notice he'd gotten a little too close to  crab for either of their own comfort. He gave off a look to the crab before making sure to keep a distance between himself and the reef. There weren't many creatures like him in these parts, but oh, there were still too many to count. Too many shapes and sizes to even recognize what was and what wasn't alive. It was amazing.
cloudwilk
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext