While the waters close to the shore are tropical, Freighlei grows colder the further south you go. Very few areas are covered in ice, travelers are advised to watch out for icebergs. Because of the temperatures, the water is surprisingly clear! (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Freighlei Ocean

Re: Stormy Weather [Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:44 PM

Dylana shivered; she was out of the storm, and the galley was warm, but she couldn't feel it through the icy cold that seemed to penetrate her very bones. She shook, and shamefully tried to conceal it, but her tremors only increased until she was almost rocking in place from the cold.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:46 PM

The ship's doctor, a young man with a background in medicine and a keen sense of adventure, jogged through the galley door after having left to fetch his bag. Dylana looked up at him through misty eyes, and realised the cabin boy was standing behind him with several blankets and towels.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:48 PM

She tried to speak, but her teeth were chattering too much and her throat seemed to have seized up. The doctor frowned, then ordered the First Mate to return to his duties. He snapped a salute to her before he left, closing the door behind him. The doctor then ordered the Cook to light the stove and begin heating soup and tea.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:49 PM

Dylana tried to shake her head as the doctor began to cut her clothing off, but he was resolute; they had to get her warm, and fast. He dried her with gentle hands as the cabin boy turned pink and fixed his gaze on the wall behind the doctor's head, paying attention only to hand the doctor more towels as needed.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:51 PM

At last, Dylana was wrapped in several warm blankets, and the burning cold she had been feeling began to go away. The Cook was now allowed to turn around, and he served her warm soup and sweet tea on the doctor's orders, which she took with a nod of thanks, though holding the mug and bowl burned her hands.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:33 PM

She felt naked and disgraced; the entire crew was male, and though it had never occurred to her that it could be a problem, she now understood their reluctance to have a woman on board. It wasn't that she wasn't good enough, or that she was bad luck - it was that she was a woman, and that caused problems.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:34 PM

Dylana shivered; the soup and tea were doing their job, but it was a slow process. The doctor and cabin boy had left to treat a crewman who had been whipped by a trailing rope in the storm, and the galley was very quiet as the Cook worked away at the stove.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:36 PM

She jumped a little when he spoke, in his gruff voice, but he was only asking her if she wanted more tea. She was surprised when her throat croaked, and wondered if she had been screaming when she went under. He carefully refilled her mug, then sat down opposite her, still not looking at her.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:37 PM

She sipped her tea and winced; everything was beginning to hurt, and she was exhausted. She was also a little afraid; for the first time, she couldn't be the strong persona that she always wore, and the crew hadn't exactly respected her before. She didn't know what would happen, and she was scared to find out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:39 PM

She raised her head as the Skipper entered the room, making his way to the table where she sat. He sat down heavily and fiddled with the cloth in his hands, before he spoke to her, not meeting her eyes.

"Captain, I'm sorry; we failed you" he said sheepishly, bowing his head; the Cook also bowed his head and Dylana was left in shock.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:41 PM

"What do you mean?" she croaked out, wheezing a little. She didn't understand; how could they have failed her?

"The rope was too long; we didn't realise until you went over, and by then it was too late. We tried to pull you back as soon as we realised, but we were terrified we weren't going to make it" he said, wincing.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:42 PM

Suddenly, Dylana understood what had happened, and began shaking a little. Ordinarily, the rope would just be long enough to go over the side, within easy reach of several handholds; anyone who went over would climb back on board and continue what they were doing. Somehow, she had been given the spare rope which was uncut, and it had nearly cost her life.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:44 PM

"It's not your fault" she croaked out, causing them both to look at her, then immediately glance downward. She winced, having forgotten that she was sat there wearing nothing but a bunch of blankets wrapped around her.

"We could have lost our Captain" the Cook muttered, and banged his fist on the table.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:46 PM

Dylana was perplexed; the crew had made it abundantly clear that they disliked having a woman as a captain, and yet they seemed sorrowful that she had been in danger. It would have been comical, had she been able to so much as smile without wincing. She glanced at both of the men in front of her, and decided business would be the best way to handle the situation.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 1:48 PM

"Has the line been stowed away safely?" she asked, taking a sip from her tea.

The Skipper almost looked up at her, but held his position. "Yes; we put it in the cable locker after making sure there was a cut line ready for you for next time - we won't let it happen again" he said confidently.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext