While the waters close to the shore are tropical, Freighlei grows colder the further south you go. Very few areas are covered in ice, travelers are advised to watch out for icebergs. Because of the temperatures, the water is surprisingly clear! (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Freighlei Ocean

Stormy Weather [Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 10:54 AM

Dylana stood at the helm of the ship, breathing in the cold air coming from the south. The crew still had a hard time accepting a female captain, though she had worked hard to get the job. She was more qualified and more experienced than anyone on board, but most of them were old sailors, and a woman was considered bad luck.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: Stormy Weather [Self]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 10:56 AM

She muttered to the Skipper to adjust their course slightly to port, and he obliged, though she did not miss the discontented look that crossed his face. Years ago, he had thought himself en-route to the position of captain, and did not appreciate some young upstart swooping in to take his place, particularly when it was a woman.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:05 AM

It wasn't that being a woman put her behind in any sense; she was as fast as any man in the crew, and although there were a couple that were stronger, she was the most skilled when it came to combat. She narrowed her eyes as she surveyed the deck, and glanced at the sky.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:07 AM

Dylana checked the barometer beside the wheel, and frowned. She knew that part of the crew's distrust came from the weather - what should have been prime sailing weather was fast turning into an overcast mess, and the red of the sky in the west heralded further troubles. She had already given the order to stow anything that wasn't lashed down below deck, and now she watched, and waited.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:08 AM

A distant rumble told her she had been correct. As Dylana glanced at the anxious faces of her crew, who had turned to her with a mixture of fear and despair on their faces, the rumble came again, and a cold wind began to blow against their sail, slowing their movement through the seas.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:10 AM

As she barked the order to trim the sails, Dylana grimaced; she was still quite new to the captain's post, and despite being an excellent sailor the ship was always at the mercy of the sea. Experienced sailors who had lost many friends knew this, but in times of trouble the captain always got the blame, and trouble seemed to be exactly where they were headed.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:11 AM

The sails fought against the wind as the crew took them down and lashed them to the mast. Dylana continued to give orders, though now her attention was on the rapidly-dropping barometer and the darkening skies above. They could sail in bad weather, but this had the tell-tale signs of being an all out tempest.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:13 AM

The last order she gave before the weather broke was to fix lifelines to the mast. The sturdiest part of the ship, that was their designated anchor point for emergencies, and she did not wish for anyone to be swept overboard. The lines were tied and checked, and she made sure to secure her own - if the worst did happen, at least none of the crew would be blamed.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:14 AM

Dylana spluttered as her mouth was filled with water. Struggling, she fought to the surface where the rain was beating down mercilessly, pushing everything down with it. She gasped for air, and struggled to stay afloat. Somehow, her lifeline had come undone, and she had been plunged overboard into the dark depths below.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 11:16 AM

She struggled against the current, but she was beginning to tire. She hadn't been able to see the ship since she was thrown overboard, and her heart was heavy with the knowledge that she would not be looked for; the skipper would have taken over as captain, and would have given the order to proceed, as looking for someone in a tempest would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:32 PM

Suddenly, the rope (which was still attached to her waist somehow) went taut, and Dylana was pulled down into the surf, gasping to hold her breath as the icy water covered her head. She struggled, but could not loosen the knot, and whatever was pulling her down was too strong for her to get away.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:35 PM

Frantically, she tried to scramble to the surface. At the last moment, just as things were getting hazy and her lungs were burning, her head broke the surface - at an angle, as though she were being pulled along by something. Coughing as she looked up, she heard a distinctive voice yelling 'PULL'.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:39 PM

Dylana couldn't believe it; that had sounded like the Skipper's voice, but it couldn't be. There was no way the crew would have come back for her, when they couldn't even see her in the dark. Despair filled her heart as she realised she must be having a hallucination due to the lack of air.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:41 PM

It therefore came as quite a surprise when she was whisked out of the sea entirely, to be left dangling upside-down. As the wind swirled around her and she was buffeted by the heavy raindrops, she squinted towards where the rope appeared to be pulling her. Faintly, she made out the light of a lantern, and heard a commotion of yells.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 07/30/2017 12:43 PM

Dylana gasped and shook as she flopped onto the deck of what she now realised was her own ship. Her crew crowded around, unsure of what to do to help, as the Skipper began giving orders. The First Mate and the Cook, both large, burly men, picked her up gently by the armpits and knees and carried her down below deck into the galley.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next