A dense jungle full of surprises and new places to explore! Scientists are still trying to document species found here, while travelers flock here for a sense of adventure. Be sure to make lots of preparations though, as it can be quite dangerous! (+3 Precision, +2 Offense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Tengel Rainforest

Challenge 24 A - Rainforest survival {finished}

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/01/2012 5:34 PM

Bane heard a knock on the door, followed shortly by the lifting of the letterbox flap. He was nervous, as this was his first challenge. He walked to the door, and picked up the letter gingerly, hoping it wouldn't be too harsh. He slit it open, expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

"Monday greetings, Mr Bane. I trust this letter finds you in good health. Your challenge is thus: You must survive unassisted in the Tengel rainforest for 24 hours, with nothing more than what you can find there. Good luck."

It was unsigned. Bane grit his teeth, and mentally prepared himself. He had signed up for this, and he would be damned if he was backing out now...
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

1st hour report

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/02/2012 10:51 AM

Well, it's hot, wet and muddy here, and I'm already being bitten by mosquitoes wherever they can get... My nose and the insides of my ears seem to be favourites. My fur is drenched, and I'm constantly overheating. But it's not so bad. There's plenty of trees around, so I'm going to dig under the roots of one and see what food I can dig up, probably mushrooms. Shelter... I'll worry about that once I have food. I can hear all sorts of sounds around me, and the ants keep biting me... Vicious little things, they are. Bane out.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

2nd hour report.

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/07/2012 2:43 PM

Still raining, still hot, wet and muggy. This place is awful! I tried to build a shelter out of leaves, but they keep slipping and I think I bit something poisonous. I now have a sore mouth and a load of leaves everywhere. The ants called for backup, so I had to run from a hoard of chimerantulas. During the escape, I almost fell into a massive corpse lily, which would have been the end of me... I've been very lucky. This is difficult without opposeable thumbs, but I don't want to shift form (that would be cheating)... Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

3rd hour report

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/07/2012 7:06 PM

Gave up on the shelter and switched forms to build it. Still didn't help much. The leaves are slippery, and I'm soaked through. Rigged a sort of...thing... with leaves suspended over branches and tied on with vines. It keeps the rain out, at least. I made it in the trees, so it should also keep me dry from underneath, and minimise things trying to eat me. Opposeable thumbs come in so handy! Rigged more vines to make a sort of net between the branches after I had finished with the leaves, so that I don't fall out of the tree whilst I'm sleeping.

I'm going to climb down and try my luck fishing next. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

4th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/07/2012 8:11 PM

Rain is really starting to get to me. It's hot, and I'm constantly wet and uncomfortable. Hanging in the trees helps me dry out a little, but it's not enough and I'm seriously beginning to feel annoyed. I fell in the stream when I tried to fish, so I'm just that little bit extra ticked off.

That said, I managed to spear some bandols with a stick I sharpened with a rock, so... not all bad. I can't light a fire in a tree though, and the ground is too wet, so I'm going to have to figure something else out. Maybe try digging a hole under a branch covered with leaves, filling it with stones, and building a fire on top of them? But what am I going to burn? Everything's too wet! Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

5th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/07/2012 9:14 PM

The rain stopped at last, but it's still hot and muggy. At least it had kept the mosquitoes and midges at bay. Since it's stopped, I'm now being attacked by them like... well, being attacked by them. And it seems to have gotten even hotter! At least the rain had kept me cool-ish.

I gave up on trying to light a fire. Everything was too wet to burn, and I had nothing to light it with but friction. I switched back and ate the bandol raw. It was food, at least.

I'm going to climb higher into my tree. I think I saw a polly nest, and they make reasonable eating... And the eggs are full of protein. I want to gather as much food as I can, so I don't need to leave my hide once it gets dark. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

6th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/07/2012 9:21 PM

I wove my net a bit more securely, and added some big leaves to line it. I definitely don't want to fall through it! I've also made a similar structure between one of my branches and the next branch, and started storing food there. I worked out how to fold the large, rubbery leaves that grow on this tree (which I think are edible) into parcels and secure them with a twig, so I don't need to worry about leaks or bad smells. Just hungry residents who fancy a snack...

Raw food isn't too bad, but I'm already missing hot, cooked meals. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

7th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/08/2012 4:01 PM

Starting to get a bit darker now, and the insect attack is intensifying. It's still unbearably hot, too hot to sleep any time soon. Tried again to light a fire, no joy. So it's just me, myself and I apart from the local wildlife. I'm hoping I don't run into any moonlings... That really would put a damper on my day. Just in case, I've made myself some spears, and used leaves to make a sort of cover, just in case. Sewing with a twig is impossible, so I bored a hole in one of the Bandol bones from earlier. It makes a reasonable needle, and add on a few strips of vine... not too bad. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

8th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/08/2012 5:48 PM

... The rainforest at night is incredibly noisy. I can hear all sorts of calls and buzzing, not to mention creaks from the branches. It's still fairly light, and incredibly hot - It makes me wish I wasn't so fuzzy. I'm currently sat in the tree looking around, to see if I can spot anything to eat. I made a reasonable bow and arrows out of some wood and a twist of some vines, so I want to try my luck at hunting from here (I attatched a vine to the arrows, so I can pull them back up)... Maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

9th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:21 AM

The rainforest all around me had gone silent, as if its been placed in a bubble. It's incredibly eerie, considering how noisy it was, and how sudden the silence fell... It worries me. Does this mean I'm in danger? I've heard stories about moonlings, but I didn't think they were true... Can they climb trees? Do they eat lucain?

I should be alright... I've got my nest and my weapons. I can only hope I don't get attacked, especially if they're not solitary creatures... Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

10th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:28 AM

Damn. I thought it would be fine, staying in the tree... I thought I would be safe. But they came, in a swarm... I was incredibly lucky. I thought it was over, that I wouldn't make it... Then it began to rain again, just as they were getting close... I could see their eyes shining in the half-light, and hear their demonic giggles... Then the heavens opened, and they scattered. As soon as they left, the noise of the rainforest returned, rushing in like... some sort of wave, or a waterfall that had been kept at bay by a dam at the top of it.

I shall be sure to report my findings to the Triumvitrate; no doubt it would benifit people to be warned that should they enter the rainforest, be sure to do it when its actually raining. The moonlings seem to fear rain, though that poses a question: if they fear rain, is it water in general they fear, or rain specifically? I shall need to study this in detail, at some point... though I feel I've seen enough moonlings for this trip. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

11th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:33 AM

Its properly dark now, to the point where I can barely see, except for here and there where a glowing lunafly has chosen to perch. The rain stopped again, but the moonlings haven't returned... I can only hope they have given me up as a lost chance. It is hot, and sticky in the tree, particularly as it seems to exude some sort of sap from it's branches. I shall have to make sure to wash thoroughly in the river tomorrow morning, lest it glue my fur together permanently.

I have given up on my lucain form completely for the moment, as it would be quite useless in the treetops. I need opposeable thumbs to grasp, and climb, and lucain legs were certainly not meant for climbing. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

12th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:38 AM

At last, I've reached the halfway mark of this challenge. I scarcely believed I would, especially during the moonling attack. The rainforest has not fallen silent since then, but I cannot predict how the night will wear on. By my calculations, it should be somewhere around two hours after dusk, somewhere between eleven and twelve o'clock. This was news to me, as I thought I had been here longer, and would only have to wait a few hours until dawn...

Due to the foliage, true sunlight probbably won't penetrate my branches until around noon, though dawn should be sometime around half-past six... I can make it till then. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

13th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:43 AM

Night is truly amazing in the rainforest. So many sounds that so few have heard, so many perfumed scents from night-blossoming flowers. I didn't realise that the tree I am in overlooks a field of nightblossoms, and it is proving to be a concern. These bioluminescent flowers easily show my nest up as unnatural and suspicious, and negate any chance of conciliation... I was counting on the dark to cloak my hiding place, but now I don't know what to do.

Logic dictates that I should move, but moving around in a rainforest at night, alone, without light to see by is beyond foolish. I would be upon a moonling nest or a carpetfang lair before I knew it, and then... No. I'll stay put, unless something drastic happens. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

14th hour

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 05/13/2012 9:47 AM

Another problem with these flowers is their soporific effects on lucain. I keep having to force myself awake, as I feel my eyes close unwillingly... If this keeps up, I may not make it until morning, and the last thing I want is to wake up to a hoard of moonlings or an army of chimerantula sizing me up for a meal.

I had quite forgotten about water, until it was almost dusk... Luckily for me, there are a lot of pitcher plants around, and they hold water better than leaf pouches. I filled them from the stream, and I have enough water to last me a couple of days, just in case. My challenge ends after 24 hours, but then it's getting back to civilisation... I hope I don't need the extra supplies, but it is comforting to know they are there. Bane out.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next