The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

[8] [8]

Postby Indigo » 03/30/2014 3:39 PM

She pocketed the business card with a nod. This was likely to be a useful partnership, or...whatever you'd call it. The terminology was irrelevant at this juncture, she felt.

"Disturbances?" Kingsway said, eyes darting to the side. There was a matter of concern. He was pretty sure he was technically a disturbance in, maybe not time, but certainly space, and from what Jessamine had told him time and space were pretty closely intertwined. And maybe this person would be able to help them--he didn't doubt it, really--but he wondered if there was a chance he would be "fixed" as well. Perhaps he'd just have to do his best to hide his nature.

"That sounds like exactly what we need," Jessamine said, ignoring him.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 329
Donate

Re: Pick A Card [P, Indigo|L]

Postby Mousen » 04/06/2014 5:22 PM

Turpin nodded, noting the concern Kingsway seemed to have and filing it away in the "may or may not be useful things to know" part of her memory. Her business was people, and hence information about them was always useful, even if it seemed completely irrelevant at the time. "They can be quite nasty, apparently. I couldn't say, I've never been on the wrong side of one. Tailor is the nicest out of lot of "em, though."

She turned to Jessamine. "Well, I can put you into contact with them either right now over the phone, or if this is going to take more than a phone call I can arrange a meeting between you two." Turpin was grateful that this was a question of getting some advice or information, rather than a negotiation between two tense parties. Those were always the worst to organize. In comparison, this should be fairly easy.

((Really short post, sorry.))

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

[9] [9]

Postby Indigo » 06/21/2014 8:24 PM

"A...phone call?" Now there was an interesting thought. Kingsway hadn't been too near a phone since--well, since he was Kingsway; Jessamine didn't carry one, said it would make her easier to track or something. He wasn't sure he believed her, but couldn't quite articulate an argument. But anyway--he didn't know what would happen if he went near a phone. Not that he was sure anything would happen, exactly, but he'd already experienced weird effects from things less directly connected to his old existence. And maybe it would do something useful, send him back where he'd come from.

Jessamine glanced at him sidelong, and said smoothly, "I think a meeting would probably be best. I like to assess those I work with in person." She knew very well that Kingsway might get sucked back into the phone lines, though she had no idea how likely it might be, and she had no intention of letting such a valuable asset go. At least not yet. Besides, she was just getting used to having him around.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 07/06/2014 1:48 PM

Turpin tilted her head to the side slightly, curious to why the notion of a phone call would surprise Kingsley. If that was even what his question was trying to articulate. It was probably something best left alone, while a healthy sense of curiosity helped her small business, it had gotten her into trouble on many an occasion. While considering this, Jessamine spoke up and Turpin nodded, derailing that particular train of thought. "Right, well. I'll set up a meeting between the two of you. Taylor is based in Lamenolai, so travelling isn't an issue." Turpin felt secure giving that information away now, the fixer would be difficult to track without any help anyway.

"I'll contact you again once I've got all the details." She stood up."Oh, and I'll require half of first month's fee in advance." Turpin added with a small, almost apologetic smile. She'd sometimes waive this part of her policy, only introducing it if she was bothered by time-wasters or a need for funds. This time, it was clearly the latter of the two.

(Sorry for keeping you waiting. uwu)

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

[10] [10]

Postby Indigo » 09/16/2014 1:59 AM

Jessamine smiled. "How convenient." Almost unbelievably so; she couldn't actually leave Lamenolai, or at least she couldn't go too far from the city limits, and she'd had quite enough of messy and incomplete explanations for one day. If she brought it up there would no doubt be questions.

She nodded and rummaged for her money, muttering calculations under her breath--math was not one of her strong suits, being largely irrelevant to her duties--until Kingsway leaned over and whispered the appropriate sum in her ear. That was one thing about him that mystified her, since his limited experience of reality should have left him with even less exposure to academics than she had, but he seemed reasonably adept with numbers nonetheless. Perhaps it was something about phone numbers, or maybe he'd just had a mathematician's conversation routed through him at some point. No way to be sure about that.

Jessamine produced the appropriate sum. "I shall await further information."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/04/2014 5:11 AM

Turpin smiled, genuinely surprised at how painless this transaction had been. It was a far cry from her usual dealings. More than that, it meant that she'd actually be getting some regular business. It might mean some more stability in her life, which could only be a good thing. She placed the money in one of the many inside pockets of her coat. "Thank you, I hope that this arrangement continues to benefit both of us."

"Right-o. I can probably sort everything out within the next 24 hours. Does that suit you?" It was always best to ask, sometimes clients needed information much more urgently than that. It was an annoyance, but she'd rather have pushy clients than dead ones.

"One more thing, if I get clients who'd benefit from speaking to you, can I pass them along? You will, of course, be reimbursed for your time." Sometimes she didn't ask, sometimes she just passed people along out of the blue, but Turpin didn't want to risk loosing these two. They were some of the only clients she had that hadn't begin their meeting by threatening her.

((It's been so long since I've RP'd Turpin. Oops.))

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[11] [11]

Postby Indigo » 10/13/2014 11:04 PM

"24 hours is. Really less than we were expecting," Kingsway said brightly. "No trouble."

Jessamine scowled; technically it was true, and there was always the chance that Kingsway would pester her about lying again if she'd had time to think of something else to say. But the trouble was that she didn't actually know how urgent the situation was, and this was pretty much her only way of finding out, other than trying to get the information out of Kingsway, which would be a matter of luck. So it would be safest to get things arranged sooner, just in case, but there was no way to make that happen now. Useless spirit of communication.

"Yes, but if you can get us in touch sooner that would certainly be a plus," she said in what she hoped was a level tone.

Clients who'd benefit from speaking to them, now, that was a thought. Reimbursement was definitely a point in the idea's favor, of course, and would allow them to cut back on the theft at least for a time, though of course that was in the future. She wasn't totally certain anyone actually would benefit from speaking to them, since she was usually busy with City affairs and Kingsway was...Kingsway. But there was no harm in agreeing. "Feel free."

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 11/23/2014 10:37 AM

"Well, I can go talk to Taylor now, if you feel that'd be best." There was no guarantee that the fixer would be there, or that they'd pick up, but it would get the ball rolling. If Turpin knew Taylor at all, they would contact her as soon as they got the message. "I could then try to arrange a meeting for you both ASAP." If that was what they preferred, she'd try to get it sorted as quick as possible. It wasn't as if Taylor was someone who was particularly difficult to deal with. It was kind of their job anyway.

Turpin nodded. "Lovely. I'll get a message to you if there's anyone who'd benefit from contacting either of you. I don't know anyone at the moment, but I like to be prepared."

((Rubbish post. Sorry. :cc ))

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[12] [12]

Postby Indigo » 01/03/2015 9:13 PM

"If you don't mind, that would be very helpful." And for a moment she'd been worried Kingsway had doomed her city, what with his ridiculous honesty and having almost no sense of urgency or in fact any sort of time. She wondered a bit about that, actually. Maybe it was because the forms of communication he'd attended to were near-instantaneous, combined with being an embodied spirit. She wouldn't be terribly surprised, considering how long it had taken him to figure out how to walk in a straight line.

[Sorry this is so short. And late.]

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 01/17/2015 6:13 PM

[It's fine, mine is pretty late too. This is a pretty long post, oops, but I had no idea how to do this otherwise.]

Turpin stood up. "I'll be a moment, then." She nodded at her two clients before walking out of the pub. Leaning against the building, she fished her phone out of one of her many pockets and called Taylor. They picked up after the third or fourth ring.

"Hello, this is Taylor Doxie may I ask who's calling please?" The voice trilled, cheery and melodious.

"You can ask, but I make no promises."

The voice at the other end of the phone chuckled. "Oh, Arty, it's nice to hear from you! I was worried something had happened. Is there something going on?"

Oh. That nick name again, huh? Turpin had no idea where Taylor had picked up that one from, well, she knew where, from her initials, R. T., but from who, Turpin wasn't sure. "Nothing that's going to endanger me, I think. But some clients are pretty desperate to talk to you, they've got some sort of... er, time thing-y going on in Lamenolai, could be trouble."

The soft, but concerned hum from Taylor was enough to let Turpin know that they were going to take up the case. Lamenolai was home turf for them, so it made sense for them to be worried, after all, if something was going on and they didn't know about it. "Are they trustworthy?" Taylor asked suddenly, after a moment or two.

"Seem to be, as far as I can tell. But I wouldn't bet my life on it."

"Eh," they said, and Turpin could just imagine Taylor waving their hand dismissively as they said it. "Give them our address, worst case scenario Bram and I can defend the place. I don't want to take any chances with this problem, though. Tell them to turn up soon as possible."

"Thanks, Taylor."

"Just doing my job, Arty." With that, they hung up.

Turpin walked back into the pub and sat down opposite Jessamine and Kingsway. "Good news, chaps. Taylor has told me to give you their address and you're to turn up ASAP, since they're worried it's serious if they haven't noticed anything." Turpin was almost surprised at how well things were going, normally things at this point were getting tense, with touchy clients or reticent contacts.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[13] [13]

Postby Indigo » 01/23/2015 6:59 PM

Jessamine nodded and slid out of her seat. "We'll head over there right away, then." So, someone else attuned enough to such things to notice if something went wrong, but who hadn't noticed the disturbance? That was more than a little worrisome. Either she had misinterpreted the signs--although Kingsway had confirmed some of them, and despite his...shortcomings he seemed pretty knowledgeable on that particular subject--or it was more subtle and dangerous than she'd thought.

[continues to write awful tiny posts for some reason]

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 03/09/2015 5:06 PM

Turpin stood up and nodded. "Do you want me to come with you and show you the way, or would you prefer I just gave you Taylor's address and you found it yourself? I don't really mind, just bear in mind that if trouble kicks off, I'm only your informant, not your body guard, yeah? I won't throw you to the sharks, but I'm planning on dying a noble death either." It was worth going over these things again. Turpin was fairly loyal as people went, but she wasn't about to go and die for anyone.

Either way, it had been a pretty successful day as far as she was concerned. She had a new client, and a possibly steady source of income. If she proved useful now, they might want her advice frequently in the future.

(This is so late, I'm sorry. ;u; )

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[14] [14]

Postby Indigo » 03/23/2015 6:17 PM

Jessamine hesitated. She was out of her depth, yes, but she didn't exactly want that to be public knowledge, and she was used to knowing her way around; having someone else show her the way somewhere sounded both humiliating and just...logistically unsound. Granted, Kingsway managed it. But she got the impression that his previous existence had largely been directed by outside forces, from some of the things he said.

He was also speaking. He found it difficult enough to follow Jessamine under normal circumstances, what with all the noise coming from every direction and trying to pick him apart, and even now being unused to having a body, and everything. It was easy to forget himself, and he needed that self in order to function in his current form, and after all that form was at the moment the only one he had. Trying to follow Jessamine when even she didn't know where she was going, and most likely while she refused or just forgot to do things like read street signs...it didn't sound like a pleasant experience, for either of them, to say the least.

So he said, "We could probably use your help now that you mention it," and did his best not to acknowledge Jessamine's pointed sigh.

[There is a chance parts of this are hugely inconsistent with what was posted earlier, in which case I can only plead incompetence.]

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mousen » 05/23/2015 9:28 AM

Turpin nodded at Kingsway, casting a glance at Jessamine as she did so. Well, she didn't contradict him, so it looked like she was showing them the way. She stood up, brushing her trench coat down as she did so, although it didn't really achieve anything. It was slightly scruffy before she'd sat down, and was still, now that she was leaving.

"Well, it means travelling back to Lamenolai. I suppose we'd better catch a train, in that case. Unless you had some other means of transport planned?" Turpin hoped it went without saying that she wouldn't be paying her own way there. She didn't mind spending some time in Lamenolai once she was over there, she had almost as many contacts there as in her native habitat, here in the Slums, but nonetheless, it wasn't like she had a reason to be there.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

[15] [15]

Postby Indigo » 06/11/2015 2:04 PM

"We have no other means of transport." Technically Jessamine did have certain, limited teleportation abilities, but they would hardly be useful now. She couldn't control them directly, and it would be far more of a waste of time to send someone ahead and then summon her there, even if it would save a small amount of money. And she didn't think she could take anyone along. Kingsway usually did get dragged with her, but given his unusual relationship to the laws of physics she wasn't about to generalize that sort of thing.

They both stood, Kingsway stumbling a bit, but only a usual amount; he'd recovered by now from his earlier issues and was back to his baseline of not-quite-used-to-having-a-body. A train, though...lots of people crammed into a small space, talking. There was a reason they tended to walk everywhere. But if Jessamine hadn't brought it up, it didn't seem worth arguing over.

What are you looking at?

Indigo
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext