The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: Lonely Hearts, Idle Hands [Ari/Kitsumi]{M:E}

Postby Kitsumi » 08/10/2015 2:09 PM

He may have been stressed, but Donovan realized when the smell of the pizza reached him that he was starved. Taking the plate offered him, he bit into the pizza. It was good, but he was eating purely to regain his energy not to enjoy the flavor. And he was distracted from his food, watching Eden check over his twin. "I'm not really terrified," he said quietly, although it was probably a lie. "I just don't like to see the people I care about feeling sick in any way."

"You don't need to apologize." He edged as close to his boyfriend as he could without getting in the way of what Eden was doing. He would have said more, but he felt like he should be quiet while the stethoscope was being used. He took another bite of his pizza, although he barely tasted it. He chewed numbly, feeling a bit ill himself simply from worry.

His hand clutched Edge's. He didn't realize just how tight he was holding on until he felt his fingers going slightly numb. "Oops, sorry," he said as he loosened his hold.

There was nothing for him to say while the brothers talked back and forth. He paled when he discovered that Edge had apparently been sick for quite some time. "I hope this doesn't sound too controlling, but you need to take better care of yourself," Donovan said quietly. "Your brother obviously worries about you a lot, and now you've got me to worry about you."

Part of him wanted to come to Edge's defense, but he knew that an examination was probably required. "I think Eden is right. It would be best to figure out what's wrong with you health-wise, so that we can get you feeling better."

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7119
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 08/10/2015 5:12 PM

Tiredly, Edge conceded that they were both probably right, and sighed, closing his eyes. "Alright." He agreed quietly, hand still in Donnie's. "Just... don't take blood until you absolutely need to." he asked Eden, resigning himself to the exam with another soft sigh. He knew Eden wasn't going to take 'No' for an answer, and it didn't seem like Donnie was either. That.. was actually a bit refreshing. How had he gotten so luck as to just pick up the boy on a whim, and then have him turn out to be perfect? A chuckle slipped out from between his lips, and he looked up at Donovan with a soft smile.

"I'm damn lucky that I found you." he murmured. "You're... perfect. Just perfect. One-hundred-percent perfect." He brought his hand - and by extension, Donnie's - to his lips, pressing a kiss to the back of the boy's hand. "I love you. And I do mean that. Every bit of it."

Eden chuckled a bit himself, and went to get a blanket from the other side of the room, spreading it over Edge for the time being. He would probably be at least somewhat back to himself by tomorrow - but he'd keep him here long enough to fully recover. Donnie, actually, would probably help with that. Once he'd put the blanket over his brother, he started taking his blood-pressure... during which Edge went quiet, with his eyes closed.

Once he was finished, he jotted down the findings, and looked up at Donnie. "Can you go get the box beside Edge's bed? I know it's there. It's black, and it should have a pink label on it with nothing written on it. It should have something in it that will make this a bit more enjoyable for Edge." he said, smiling at the boy. "And possibly for you, too."

He clipped the pulse-ox meter to Edge's finger, and wrote down the number that finally popped up, before removing that, and jotting down some other things.
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 08/10/2015 8:04 PM

Donovan was incredibly relieved when Edge agreed to let Eden look over him. The fact that the twin was a doctor was turning out to be quite useful. The shy boy still wasn't sure why Edge had been worried about Eden's actions towards Donovan - from what he had seen, Eden was pretty amazing. Then again, he had come bearing good news so maybe that had helped.

The smile that his boyfriend gave him caused Donovan to practically melt right there. And if the smile hadn't been enough to bring a bright pink color to his cheeks, the words certainly were. "I...I don't think I'm perfect." He combed the fingers of his free hand through his hair and then flipped it back. It was something he did when he was embarrassed or nervous...or incredibly happy, as was the case in this instance. He let out a soft sigh of joy as Edge kissed his hand. "I love you, too." He truly meant the words. Being the romantic type, Donovan believed that true love could develop within seconds, or over the span of years. It all depended on the situation. He may not have known Edge for more than a day, but he already loved him deeply.

Eden's request snapped him back to reality. He had been watching Edge nervously, but now he nodded and hesitantly let go of his boyfriend's hand. "Yeah, I'll get it. It shouldn't be too difficult to find." He didn't know his way around the building, but the room wasn't difficult to find. When Donovan returned, he was carrying the box that Eden had described. "Here you go." He set it down in front of the doctor. "I'm curious - what's in it?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 08/26/2015 11:09 AM

Eden jotted down another number on his little pad, before he turned to Donovan, and grinned a bit. "This is a teaching stethoscope." he said, opening the box, and taking it out. "Although I think Edge got it in colors they don't exactly permit at the hospital." the item had hot-pink tubing, and black metal bits, with hot-purple earpieces. From the bottom, it looked like a normal stethoscope, then branched into two sets of earpieces. Eden handed one set to Donnie.

"This way, you can hear what I'm hearing, Donovan, and I can still examine Edge." he said with a soft chuckle. Edge, for his part, grinned. "That sounds amazing." he murmured, before Eden put a finger to his lips. "It'll be even more amazing if you shut up." he said, although the teasing tone spoke of a loving admonishment, not a demand.

The black-haired twin shrugged, and settled himself, getting comfortable and relaxing a bit. Eden slid the earpieces of the other end of the teaching-stethoscope into his ears, and settled the chestpiece over Edge's heart, just under the collarbone to the right of his sternum, listening intently. Even though Donnie may not know what he was hearing, if he had those things in, he could definitely hear Edge's heartbeat. The sound-quality on this piece of equipment was surprisingly good, all told. Each beat was definitely audible, and Edge was calmer now, so it was slower and more distinct.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 10/26/2015 4:47 PM

By this point, Donovan wasn't the least bit surprised to see a stethoscope in the box. The colors weren't a shock either, after seeing some of the other brightly colored stethoscopes, but the two sets of earpieces were. "Whoa, I didn't even know that they made anything like this." He settled them into his ears, grinning. "These are seriously cool."

Donovan couldn't help but laugh at the way Eden shushed his brother. He was glad to see that the two brothers seemed to have a good relationship. From the way Edge had spoken before, he had been a bit worried that the two were at odds. Or at the very least, he had thought that they were the type of siblings who constantly fought - and not in the teasing, loving way.

His own blue oculars gazed into Edge's pink ones, and he found himself blushing. He was becoming addicted to the steady rhythm of his boyfriend's heartbeat. Hearing it now, he felt himself drifting into a state of peaceful contentment. He realized that he was nearly drifting off to sleep, and he tried subtly pinching his thigh to keep himself alert. The boy knew he should stay quiet so Eden could get a good listen, but the question was at the tip of his tongue, practically begging to be let out. After about thirty or so seconds, Donovan couldn't help but ask. "Does his heart sound okay? I mean, the beat is normal and everything?"

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/27/2015 10:11 PM

There was a massive whooshing sound through the stethoscope as Edge yawned, and reached up to rub his eyes. Apparently he was still very tired... or maybe having Eden and Donnie caring for him made him feel relaxed enough to drift off again - or begin to. Whatever the case, the slow, soft, steady beat of Edge's heart didn't budge much. Eden took his time, going over various areas of the chest, and listening to his lungs, too. The question from Donnie was an expected one, and he removed his side of the earpieces before answering.

"He sounds alright. His heart-rate is normal, and the rhythm is as normal as his gets. Maybe a little on the strained side, because of lack of sleep..." He punctuated his lecture with a glare toward his brother. "But other than that, he seems okay."

Eden smirked a bit, and withdrew to jot some things down, nodding to himself. "Even so... You're both under my orders to go to the hospital later on this week. I don't care when, it just has to be this week. I'll write a prescription for Edge for antibiotics and rest. Donovan, I'd like to listen to your chest, and give you a once-over before I leave... I think I might be prescribing something for you, too - if what I heard earlier shows back up. Before I listen, though..." He tapped his pen against his bottom lip. "Well... I need you exercising. Edge, do you still have that treadmill in the closet?"

Edge rolled his eyes, but nodded. "Yeah - Donnie, it's folded up. Black with red trim. Should be easy enough to cart out here. I don't think Eden's going to let me move."

"You'd be right. Bring that here, Donnie. I need to get your heart-rate on that thing, as well as listen to your lungs under stress. I want to make sure what I heard was just a fluke, and not a symptom."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 10/28/2015 7:24 PM

The unexpected noise surprised Donovan, causing his eyes to go wide for a moment. When he realized that Edge was simply yawning, he grinned sheepishly and chuckled quietly at himself. He had a tendency to be a bit jumpy, but hopefully that would change. The boy already felt safe and secure around these two brothers - hopefully that would be enough to start some positive changes. He watched his boyfriend as Eden listened to the heartbeat, a soft smile on his face.

"I'm so glad," Donovan said in a relieved voice. "I was a bit afraid that something was going to be really wrong with him." Having seen plenty of terrible things - from death by drug overdose to the prolonged suffering of a terminal illness - the poor kid had the tendency to assume the worst. "I'll make sure that he starts sleeping more," Donovan promised. "Even if he gets mad at me for nagging him about it."

Pointing to himself, Donovan's jaw dropped slightly. "M-me? Oh, I'm fine...I really don't need to be looked over, honest." It was a lie, and an obvious one at that. He may not have been afraid of doctors, and he may not have minded the earlier concern for his well-being. But it was a new experience, having somebody to care for him. Plus, Donovan happened to know that he wasn't very healthy. He, like Edge, tended to have unhealthy sleeping and eating habits. It would probably become clear if Eden inspected him closely.

Realizing that there was no getting out of it, Donovan sighed. "Okay. I'll be right back with that treadmill." He knew this wasn't going to go well. He rarely had enough energy, due to the fact that he barely ate a full meal per day.

With great effort, Donovan was able to manage getting the treadmill into the room where the two brothers were. However, he was panting heavily by the time it was over. Had he been in better health, it probably would have been easier.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/11/2016 7:05 AM

Eden hadn't realized just how winded the boy was going to get, and immediately felt bad for making him carry that thing all the way out here. He did need to run the boy a bit to get his an accurate read, but with the way he was huffing and puffing after carting the treadmill in here... that was going to be a very quick jump, he had a feeling. Nonetheless, he needed the reading. Wheeling over, he started to unfold the thing, and get it set up - although he couldn't reach the start button to make sure it worked. Heck. It was Edge. It probably worked just fine. Making sure nothing was going to snap back into place mid-run, and making sure all safety-locks were on, he motioned to Donnie.

"Alright. Hop on up there. I'm going to want you to do... one minute at low speed, and four at high." He checked his watch. "Then you can sit down on the table here in front of me, and I'll take a looksee."

Edge was watching with a soft smile, even if he still looked like shit. He knew what Eden was doing, and he knew it was hell - but he'd be there for his boyfriend no matter what. He'd promised.

"I have half a mind to teach you how to do all of this yourself, Donovan." Eden mentioned, while he readied a clipboard, and put some blank paper on it. "It could be useful, having a cardiophile boyfriend, if you knew how to assess, and what sounds you're listening to. I'd be willing to teach you if you have any interest in learning. It's no difference from the consulting I do for the hospital... only bound to be a lot more interesting, since you're not some two-bit, know-it-all intern who thinks the world revolves around them because they're destined to do great things." He smirked. "I'm sure Edge would appreciate it too. Maybe even help."

The sick young man grinned, and waved a hand. "I would. I would volunteer to help. If... you wanted to, Donnie. Like I said before - I wouldn't, won't, force you into anything."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2016 5:43 PM

While Eden was checking over the treadmill, Donovan sat on the floor close to Edge. He leaned his head back until it was resting slightly on his boyfriend's lap. He tried to even out his breathing, inhaling through his nose and exhaling through his mouth. Of course, he was about to be exerting himself even more, by running on the treadmill. He doubted he would be able to run for very long if he didn't take at least a short break.

Trying not to look nervous, Donovan smiled shyly at Eden. "Four minutes? I can try, but I'm...not really in very good shape." He paused, and then shook his head. "No, never mind. I can do four minutes. It's just a short period of time running." He was speaking more to reassure himself than anything else.

Stepping onto the machine, the boy found the button that turned it on. Making sure the speed was set to low, he began moving. The current pace was pretty easy, a brisk speed-walk. It would be enough in and of itself if he kept at it for very long, but for just a single minute it was more of a warmup than anything else. As he watched the numbers go up, counting the time he had been walking, he thought about Eden's offer.

Chuckling at the description of the interns, Donovan tried to speak quickly before it was time to up the speed. He knew he'd be too winded to talk then. "Yeah, I'd like to learn. If it would be helpful for Edge and I to stay healthy, I want to do it."

The minute was up, and Donovan didn't have time to say anything else. He adjusted the speed of the treadmill, and felt a quick response. He went from walking to jogging, and then began running. For the first minute, he felt fine. But as the time passed, he began to pant. He knew his face was probably a very unattractive red, and he was already beginning to sweat.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/12/2016 7:22 PM

Eden tapped his leg when he'd had enough, and waited for the boy to turn off the machine. He didn't, after all, want to KILL him. "That's enough, Donnie. Go ahead and sit down for me." he said, picking up the stethoscope from the table, and putting it around his neck. He waited until Donnie was on the table he'd motioned to, then plied the instrument, sliding the earpieces in, and pressing the chestpiece against Donnie's skin - the area just underneath and left of his left nipple, to be precise. He actually closed his eyes to concentrate on the sound, seeking any worsening of that extraneous sound he'd heard earlier.

Even though this was a medical examination, and not for fun, Eden was very aware of his hand against Donnie's skin, and the closeness of the other boy. He'd never been impulsive, that was Edge's thing, but there was a very small part of him that wanted to share this one with Edge. Perhaps there was even a part of him that wanted a kiss, or a touch, or physical contact... But he was, if not a currently practicing one, a doctor. Nothing if not professional. Those kind of thoughts had no business being in his mind at the moment, so he shooed them away.

Switching back to full 'medical' mode, he reached down to pick up Donnie's wrist, pressing his fingers at the pulsepoint there for a few moments, matching it to the sound he heard, before he did the same with the carotid pulsepoint in his throat. He had to listen, to time the sound, to see if it was worse, and where exactly in the heartbeat cycle it was.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2016 8:05 PM

Thank goodness, Donovan thought. He would have said it out loud, but he couldn't get any words past the wheezing. Pushing down on the button a bit harder than was necessary, the boy shut off the treadmill. He stepped off, immediately feeling the shakiness from exerting his almost non-existent muscles. Having barely been eating enough calories to keep himself going, he wasn't exactly in the right kind of shape to be running like that.

Donovan didn't so much sit in the chair Eden motioned to as he fell into it. Luckily, it seemed to be a sturdy piece of furniture. Either that, or the skinny kid's weight wasn't enough to cause a problem. Still breathing heavily, he offered a tired grin to keep both brothers from worrying. "So...how's it...sounding?" He knew that talking probably wasn't helping the other man's concentration, but he was curious as to just how bad off he was. Feeling a bit nervous, he found himself glancing over at Edge for reassurance.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/12/2016 8:39 PM

What Eden was hearing wasn't good. That sound was back, and it was worse. Not to mention that Donnie's heart was beating irregularly, and it didn't sound like a lot of blood was getting where it needed to be. There wasn't much Eden could do here, but he could keep an eye on it. He moved the stethoscope to a few different areas of his chest, listening. Picking up the wheezing wasn't hard either. Mentally, he started making some plans and some calculations, running through his list of contacts and people he knew. At the end of that list, he solidified his initial assessment, and nodded to himself.

"Alright, Donnie. Relax back and try and slow your breathing. I know you're not stupid, and don't like to be in the dark, so I'm going to tell you exactly what it is I was hearing." He took off the stethoscope, and folded it in his hands, the metal chinking lightly. "Your heart is a trainwreck. It's irregular, and there is a clicking sound that I can't quite pinpoint. The most likely cause is some sort of heart-valve issue, but without hospital equipment, I can't tell you much more than that. It's a radiating heart-sound, meaning it's hard to tell which valve it's coming from. You've also got untreated asthma, which is forcing your heart to beat even faster."

He reached over to pick up Donnie's wrist, and pressed his fingers lightly to it. "Probably more to the point is the irregularity, which is causing a mild case of cardiac insufficiency. I'm going to bet your hands and feet get pretty cold when you exert yourself - that's a reason why. There's not much I can do from here, but I'm going to repeat my statement. BOTH of you are going to the hospital tomorrow... and I'm signing myself up as your doctor, Donnie."

Patting his hand, he placed his wrist back down at his side, and fluffed the cushion behind Donovan a bit. "Right now, you need to rest. I'm going to come over here from time to time to take your pulse, make sure the irregularity is fading. If you get faint, you tell me immediately, alright? I don't have an inhaler on me, but I know Edge keeps one in the bedroom, so I'll be right back to give you it." He patted his knee as he turned to wheel toward the bedroom. "Try and relax." he said before wheeling off.

Edge moved over, and adjusted that chair a bit so that Donnie was mostly lying down. Then, he lay with him, arm across him to keep him in place, and also to keep close contact.

"Don't worry." he murmured into the boy's ear. "Eden knows what he's doing. Just relax, okay? I'm with you."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/12/2016 9:47 PM

While Eden was checking whatever it was he was listening to, Donovan let his eyes fall shut. His chest rose and fell with each breath, but he was slowly beginning to breath normally. When the doctor started to speak, the boy's eyes snapped open as he tried to focus on the matter at hand.

"I appreciate you being honest with me," Donovan said. But his smile was gone, and his hands were clenched into fists. He hadn't realized that his health was as bad as it was. Now he was pale, and was beginning to feel anxious. He wasn't a doctor, so he didn't really understand half of what was being said to him. But he knew that he had several health problems that were affecting him.

He paused, not sure if he wanted to know. But Eden had been right - he didn't like to be kept in the dark. "So, um, exactly how bad is all of this stuff? I mean, obviously I need to make some changes. But how difficult is this going to be? Am I in any immediate danger right now?" He heard something about going to the hospital and having Eden as a doctor, but his sudden anxiety was making it difficult to concentrate.

One thing did make sense to him, though. Relaxing. That sounded like a good idea. as soon as Edge came over and lay down with Donovan, the boy pressed close and began to cuddle. "Okay," he said in a small voice. "Sorry. I just...didn't realize how bad I had let myself get."

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 01/12/2016 10:03 PM

Edge pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, and held him a little closer. "It's not your fault, Donnie." he murmured. "It's definitely not your fault. I know that diet and exercise have a lot to do with things, and that jerk wasn't letting you have a healthy dose of either." He threaded fingers softly through his hair, and cradled him gently. "I think I know the perfect way to relax you." he murmured, adjusting Donnie so that he was on his back, and Edge had full access.

"Just lay right there, arms at your sides." He said very softly, starting at the top, near his shoulders, rubbing softly against the skin. Not quite a massage, but it was an awful lot of touch. Edge's fingers were deft and very gentle - making sure not to pull or push too hard, just trying to get Donovan to relax a bit. While he touched the boy, he spoke, letting his voice take on almost a droning quality. Eden had done this enough for him that it was by rote at this point.

He leaned forward, and rested his forehead against Donnie's for a moment, before drawing back just enough to be able to reach all of him as he moved slowly, slowly down. He really wasn't talking about anything important - just his day, meeting Donnie at the club, how he liked the pizza... that wasn't the important part. The real gist of this was to get the boy into a sort of trance-like state. Half-drowsing. And the calm, smooth voice definitely had helped Edge get there in the past.

IF Donnie was paying attention, he'd notice Eden come back into the room, and very softly take his wrist to count his pulse before putting it back where it belonged. Edge and Eden exchanged some quiet words, but none of them were immediately audible if not listening for them. After that, Eden wheeled himself out the door, presumably going to get something or another - leaving Edge and Donovan completely alone for the time being.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/13/2016 9:57 PM

"It kinda is my fault," Donovan argued. "If I hadn't been such a naive idiot, I could have realized I was just being used. I could have actually taken better care of myself. Now you and Eden have to nurse me back to health, and bother yourselves with me." He was so used to being told how he bothered others, that he had trouble not resorting back to that default. Even though Edge wasn't the healthiest either, Donovan couldn't help but paint himself as the sort of 'villain' of the situation.

That all faded away when Edge began touching him. "Mmm," the boy sighed softly, eyes fluttering half shut. "That feels really nice." His voice was already taking on a dreamy quality, and was more of a mumbled jumble of syllables than actual words. Although he wanted to reach out and touch Edge, he remained in the position that he was in. His limbs were beginning to feel heavy as he began to feel all the stress drain from his body.

The touch was almost enough to lull Donovan to sleep. When he heard Edge's voice, it was enough to keep him awake but still bringing him to a trance-like state. He was aware of Eden's entrance into the room, and noticed the two brothers speaking. But he didn't catch their words. He barely even felt Eden's hand on his wrist. He began to feel more calm than he had in a long time.

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext