Why not drop in and say hello to all the members out there. If you're new here and would just like to meet a new friend, or you just happen to be leaving this forum for good, go ahead and post here.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Hellos and Goodbyes

At Least it Was Here (not quite leaving, but)

Postby Mousen » 12/12/2020 1:34 PM

I've been considering whether or not I'd post here for awhile, but considering this looks like another Evelon Christmas I'll be too busy for, I thought it was best for me to check in and explain. I'm not leaving per-se, but I've been struggling for awhile to keep Evelon as part of my writing routine and I've definitely been loosing the battle. Practically speaking, I won't be getting rid of things, and if we've written together or had any characters in pairings I would love to keep them! Just let me know if you'd like to pick things up again, with the understanding that I may be painfully slow.

Evelon has been such a huge part of my life and a home in a way I never could have imagined when I joined the site just after my thirteenth birthday (ten years ago now!). I was chronically ill and desperately alone - what I found was some of the best friends I have ever made, and an online community that half raised me. When I realised I couldn't hand in my dissertation on time, crying at six in the morning, I phoned someone I'd originally met on Evelon, another one of you helped me through the worst year of my life. It was a member of Evelon that encouraged my interest in history, and made me realise I wanted to study it at university in the first place. It was Evelon, the community of people writing for fun, that encouraged me to write consistently and that encouragement has shaped everything I have written since. I have had a little success as a writer, awards and publications, my Masters degree-- none of which would have happened if I hadn't realised writing could be collaborative, could foster communities, could be fun. My debt to everyone here is tremendous and I will never come close to repaying it.

I'm in the process of applying for a PHD in creative writing, I have a new (very small!) job in the poetry publishing industry, and I've started a company to support emerging writers. Ironically, my love of writing is the thing that's taking me away from where it started. Things may not work out - things may collapse beneath me and I might have time on my hands again and end up back here, but if I don't I couldn't go quiet without explaining precisely what this place means to me.

If you've read this absolutely ridiculous sappy thing the whole way through, thank you! I'm so sorry that I'm Like This. I absolutely cannot help myself as far as goodbyes are concerned. Even if this isn't even a proper one!  Let me know if you want my twitter/email/discord, etc., of course.

I guess there's nothing left to say but thank you, all of you, for making this place what it is.

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: At Least it Was Here (not quite leaving, but)

Postby Celtic » 12/12/2020 4:22 PM

Mousen, I'm so happy for you. Truly, it sounds like you're pursuing your passion and that's all we can hope for in life.

I hope you continue finding success in areas you love, and I know you'll be missed, even if you end up coming back later. Good luck! :hugs:

always
it's
Spring)and everyone's
in love and flowers pick themselves

- e. e. cummings

[ Z o o P e n ][ W i s h l i s t ]
Celtic
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 199
Donate