Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

Indie Horror Games

Postby Kylo » 02/27/2015 3:50 PM

So I don't think there is a thread on this, so I'll start one. Who all here plays indie horror games? I've played Slender, was bored to tears by it. I'm trying to find a safe place to get some new games that are free for myself, do any of you know of some I can download? I'm mainly looking for ones that don't involve a fighting system like Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil as my hand eye coordination is terrible at best and appalling at worst. Ones like Amnesia highly interest me or anything that involves hospitals or asylums. Also if you know the game has many moments of bright flashing repetitive lights please don't recommend it to me as I still have a risk of seizures or at least tell me when to expect them so I can close my eyes or avoid them the best I can. But really this thread is just to talk about indie horror games so yeah have fun! :U Tell what scares all of you, and I'll tell you what scares me (hints they're small and for some damned reason people think everyone needs to love them and baby them and people keep shoving them in my arms while I try not to sob).

Falling from grace, I watch it all come apart
Knowing I could've changed it all from the start
I can't breathe, I need to break free
From the anger that is constantly inside of me
"Fighting Myself" by Linkin Park

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 314
Donate

Re: Indie Horror Games

Postby Jaykobell » 02/27/2015 3:52 PM

Do you know about Five Nights at Freddy's? The horror factor is based on jump scares.

I'm not sure if you can download it for free, though. But it's on Steam, I think for around $10-$15. There's the original and then there's a sequel of the same name.

Otherwise, I'm pretty useless on horror games, lol. Or games in general, actually.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Kylo » 02/27/2015 3:56 PM

I know about it but yeah I don't have money, at all. :| Also I've watched so many people play it the fear factor is low for me, but in general jump scares don't really scare me they startle me for like half a second then I laugh them off. Things that mess with your senses get me like OFF really really messed with as it has the alternating sound thing that really messes with my brain. I was unable to finish the game because of it.

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Middy » 02/27/2015 3:59 PM

I'm very well versed in horror, played them all my life. Indie horror however, is quite fun, and they vary so much from each other. Mind you I don't really get scared, creeped out yes but I digress.

I do recommend Five Night's at Freddy's, both of them. Love the back story and having to piece together what happened.

Some RPG maker horror is great, such as Ib, Mad Father, Mermaid's Swamp, and The Witch's House are ones I would say is worth a play. Free too.

If you want something more psychological that you need to piece together, try Dreaming Mary.

Claire and Lone Survivor are great too, and can be found on Steam.

Amnesia, and its predecessor Penumbra are also great for a play. Can find them on Steam too.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby HunnyBun » 02/27/2015 7:52 PM

I got FNaF for my iPad, scary as heck! Not to mention on the iPad you can't play dead if the power goes out :C

We're waiting every night
To finally roam and invite
Newcomers to play with us
For many years we've been all alone

.: ~Pen~ :.
.: ~Sales~ :.
.: ~Breeder~ :.
.: ~Imp. Doc~ :.
HunnyBun
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 263
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/27/2015 11:07 PM

I got you a buttload of em right here! Dunno about seizure warnings in all of them, but I don't think most of them have any. Jumpscares are of course a thing, though.

First off my friends and I run (or used to run; it's on mild hiatus for a little while) a blog here that reviews free indie games (most of them horror, check the earlier pages) and has a section on each for trigger warnings, reviews, things of that nature!

Also this place here has some neat ones to choose from. ovo

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 506
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Kylo » 02/28/2015 1:08 AM

Thanks guys! I'm going to check a few of those out later.

Kylo
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Thunder » 02/28/2015 3:29 AM

I don't play any myself because I generally can't handle horror. I can watch let's plays if I'm feeling brave, but I probably won't ever pick up a horror game myself. In regards to FNAF, the first doesn't scare me, but the second one does. I FLIPPED when Shrewd tried playing it and that goddamn puppet thing popped out ;_____;

I do recommend OFF a lot. I don't know if you can exactly call it horror, per se, but does have some elements of horror and some pretty unsettling scenes. There's one music track - probably the same one Talcen dislikes - that is really discomforting. Regardless, it's a very powerful game thematically, and it makes you think. I don't want to say too much because a lot of the effect come from surprise.

Also not quite a horror game, but there's a PS1 game called LSD that's just as weird as the name implies. Basically there's no objective aside from walking around and exploring a dream world, and the environments can get downright bizarre. Because of the PS1's lower graphics quality, some objects may suddenly appear in front of you, which can get startling, but that's not necessarily an intentional part of the gameplay. It's more of a side effect of the graphics, though there's definitely some pretty creepy looking things anyway.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet here at all (which is kinda surprising to me since I thought it was fairly known among horror fans) is Yume Nikki. In it, you take the role of a girl named Madotsuki and navigate her really bizarre, unsettling dream world, collecting various abilities in order to progress through the game. It's mostly about exploration, so there isn't too much of a story, but people have tried to piece together narratives based on what you can find in her dream world. Definitely a very creepy game that relies more on psychological stuff than jump scares.

Talcen, you might not want to look at the last two because there are some bright colors and flashing effects o^o

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate