Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

Webcomic! - Potboiler Carp

Postby Mousen » 10/03/2015 1:06 PM

So... I'm not sure if this is the right place for this? I apologize if people find this annoying or there'd be some other place for it.

But, basically, over the past two years ShadowStitches and I have been putting together a webcomic. I wrote the script and she's working on illustrating it. We finally launched today!

So, it's here! It's called Potboiler Carp, and it's about sphinxes and the collective knowledge of the universe and other assorted weirdness. So, if that seems like the kinda thing you might be interesting, please give it a read. There's a grand total of four pages so far. Ahah;;

I'm posting this here because a) I figure some of you might be interested in this kinda thing, and b) because if you have any comments or criticisms I'd really love to hear them and finally, because neither of us have a very large online presence and this being our first project we're really struggling to get the word out, so if anyone would like to help us in that regard that'd be great. u wu;;;;

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Re: Webcomic! - Potboiler Carp

Postby Moofius » 10/04/2015 12:34 PM

OH WOW! Cool, you guys! 8D

I read oodles and oodles of webcomics so I feel you on the getting picked up thing. It's really hard to get people to read when you have just a few pages out, so PLEASE DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED!

It takes me a little while to really get my first impression with a webcomic, I prefer having a whole first chapter, especially if the art/dialogue does not grab me right off the bat. It's awesome that you have 4 pages to read right away.

Make sure you have a buffer, people don't like missed updates, and if you get sick or have holiday plans, yeah. The art looks pretty complex for your pages so a buffer is even more important.

Don't be afraid to try new art styles or techniques! It's super common for a webcomic to change their approach partway through to make it a little faster to produce pages. I've seen it happen A LOT. It's not a failure on your part or anything like that, it does not have to lessen the integrity of the art either, it can make page production that much more economical and there's nothing wrong with that.

Do guest pages on your own favorite webcomics and participate in same-ish genre. They don't need to be considered competition! I read over 200 webcomics (usually my list got keeled *weeps*), so one reader can participate in many stories. If you read webcomics check to see if they showcase fan art or check their news and social media feeds to see if they are looking for guest strips. They'll usually link to whatever you ask them to link to (yo web comic and seperate social media sites) if you give them that information.

Have a couple of different ways to update people. Some readers love twitter, others love Facebook, and others prefer Tumblr. Be as accessible as possible (without running yourselves ragged). If you post something to one, post it to all.

IN TERMS OF ART: I like the painted feel of the pages. Solid use of colours going on here for sure, ehehe. Sphinxesesessses! You're telling a story with pictures, so be sure to use body language. Everything up to the conversation with Vesta was great but the conversation between Emmy and Vesta seemed a bit stiff (that really could be the characters though *shrug shrug* S'only 4 pages after all).

Part of that stiffness might come from facial expressions. IN GENERAL it is considered a bit of a no-no in comics to have a speech bubble coming from a person who has their mouth closed. Closed shows not talking generally, you sort of want to catch their mid word and showing how they are feeling in whatever they are saying. Looking at you page 2, panel 5. It can be a good way of showing a non-emotional person talking though, again I don't know the characters yet.

Also I think in Page 3, Panel 2 Emmy's eyes are looking in the wrong direction and the voice/speech bubble is also coming from the wrong direction. It interrupts the flow (pretty sure Vesta is coming up on Emmy's left, or that is how Emmy turns towards the voice in the next panel but Emmy is looking to her right in the panel above) of the movement.

IN TERMS OF WRITING: Punctuation! When we talk we can just hear the questions, or the pauses, or what have you. In comics punctuation is needed to express it~
Say the lines out loud in how you magine them in your head, and see if the conversation rolls easily.
EX: Page 2, Panels 4-5
"It's been awhile since we have visited, has it not?"
"Since we visited the records. Yeah"

^- Maybe "Since we visited the records?" a question to confirm the others meaning, then "Yeah." That's a short stop, but "Yeah..." might imply a reluctance in Emmy's voice. So there's a lot you can do with that. Also laying out pauses and stops with commas and periods is pretty important.

Dropped words might also be coming into play here a bit, for me the conversation felt a bit... clunky? "Are we still on Saturday?" might need to change to "Are we still on for Saturday?" and "I'll be seeing you" or "I'll see you soon/later" might roll off the tongue better than Vesta's current "I'll see you!".

Just little things, really. The flow is good and it's definitely expressive enough, it feels a little... unpolished is all. c:

I will definitely add this one to my list of comics to read, though. So excited for you guys!

Also bubble orientation. Page 3, Panel 2 "Emmy!" is coming from the wrong direction. See last paragraph I wrote about "in terms of art". Flow is important.

Aaaaand you can tell a lot from a voice bubbles shape. Square bubbles are usually used for narration, not speech, and if used for speech would generaly be used for robots or robotic/monotone voices.
Image :.: The Sun Will Always Shine For The Imperials :.: Image
:.: Let Us Free You From The Darkness Of Ignorance And Weakness :.:

PenWishBreedJournalTradeRecord
Moofius
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1098
Donate

Postby Mousen » 10/09/2015 5:32 PM

Thanks, Moofius~

I don't read as many webcomics as you, but between us (myself and Shadowstitches, that is) we do read a fair few. uwu

Since we've been working on this for so long, we've had chance to work up a reasonable sized buffer. So, with any luck we should be able to keep to our regular schedule. We might have to switch days depending on work/commitments, but other than that we (fingers crossed) shouldn't have a problem regarding regular updates.

I was going to wait to let Shadowstitches address a lot of this stuff, since I feel it'd be more appropriate, but she's kinda busy, so I'll do my best:

Social media: I'd definitely be looking at setting up a Facebook etc, I think we're playing it by ear currently? I'd rather not set something up and leave it to rot. But, it's something I've considered.

Webcomic Guest art: I haven't seen anything on anything I read? But maybe it's because I read the more established webcomics and they already have their "clique" so they don't usually advertise for guest art. I'm not sure how I'd go about approaching them, either? I don't post on tumblr or anything anymore, or run a blog so I literally have no like base of followers who'd be even vaguely interested, which is why it's going to be difficult to get people interested;;;

General art stuff: We appreciate the feedback you've given us! It's really valuable, and we're going to change a couple of the things you'd pointed out.

Writing: I thiink post of the punctuation was mentioned in my original script, but we had to change the speech bubbles last minute because the text was too small. So, I'm assuming some of it just got missed off. But, I think you're right on the "since we visited the records" bit, it is phrased more like a question in my mind too.

All I can add is that I hope you enjoy the comic! uwu < 33

We’re all hysterical & going nowhere together.

C’mon rapture. Let’s go bedazzling.

Nothing gets futured without its own spitshine
& I’m already not not not not not not miraculous.

Mousen
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 160
Donate
Status: Jack of all trades is master of none, but better than a Master's degree.

Postby Moofius » 10/09/2015 6:02 PM

I guess it depends on the comic. Unforeseen circumstances or a planned hiatus might create a guest comic week. I read many new and many well established comics and not all have guest comic offers or searches but some do. If I see any looking for guest art I will let you know.

One I can think of off the top of my head that shows off fan art that is well established is the creator of "The Meek" and their new comic "Mare Internum". They will show off fan art and link to creators sometimes. I will try and message you about anything I see that way. Course it requires work on the artists part and I am sure Shadow has a lot on their plate.

Moofius
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ShadowStitches » 10/15/2015 2:16 PM

Hi Moof!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it really helps!
one kind of tends to get...bind to their mistakes after looking at a page for so long :)

I will try to fix the things you mentioned via squishing in half an hour more per day  (and of course keept the tips in mind).

as for guest art...
we...shall see. In general I agree, and it is important to get word out and make friends.
for now...I honestly do not know when to do that. I'm currently on the hunt for a job again, which means a ton of porftolio, the odd graphics design/hopefully concept art job, comic, other projects, sidejob to make money etc etc. ...life....XD
I will try tho :)
Cannot say, I'm breaking the rules
If I can glue em back together.

Zoo Pen Wishlist
ShadowStitches
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 672
Donate

Postby Moofius » 10/15/2015 2:27 PM

Yeah unfortunately guest comic work is synonymous with extra art work on top of everything else. xD

Other ways of advertising could involve interviews with comic journalists or blog/vlog/pod casters who highlight comics and comic creators. I have no idea how you might get into that but it can be more writer based than anything.

Moofius
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate