Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

Dramatical Murder (And other animes)

Postby Mojave » 12/18/2016 5:11 AM

Please tell me there are other fans of this series? D8>

(Also, besides Free! and Junjou Romantica, what are some other good BL anime?)
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Re: Dramatical Murder (And other animes)

Postby ToxicShadow » 12/18/2016 5:48 AM

I read way more BL than I watch it, since access to BL manga is easier to find, as well as having a larger variety. One anime that I would recommend that is fairly recent, though, is Love Stage. I actually showed you a short AMV about it recently, but I would TOTALLY recommend it. It's cute watching two young men that thought they were straight awkwardly deal with falling for each other~

I REALLY love Loveless, but it's not for everyone, since one of the main characters is twelve, but there is nothing outside of kissing, so there's that. I'm more in it for the plot, in this case, but I think the couple is cute, too.

An older one that I think most people that have ever considered watching any BL has heard of would be Gravitation. The older animation style is, well, old, but the plot is cute~ I think it and Loveless were the first BL animes I ever watched.

Koisuru Boukun is just two OVA episodes (I read the manga, too), but it's probably worth a go. Two characters that are friends... one is very much gay, the other is very much not. Yet, things happen. In the manga, it's way cuter, since it expands on WAAAAY more.

Hybrid Child. I don't believe I have watched the episodes for this, but I've read the manga. If it's anything like it, it's worth watching.

And, of course, the one I keep mentioning from the same author as Junjou Romantica: Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (World's Greatest First Love).

If you happen to want any BL manga recommendations, just let me know. I've got pile of those somewhere.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2854
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/18/2016 6:15 AM

Love Stage keeps popping up in my recommended list, so I'll defo check that one out. Stuff with -17 yr olds actually freaks me out so I'll pass on Loveless. ^^; For the others I'll look into them. C: Thanks waifu!

Also, I'm not aure if Free! Is BL? I just remember there was a chat topic about it and it's on hulu so I was gonna check it out.

And I'm also down to check other anime out as well if someone has one outside the BL genre. C:
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/18/2016 6:20 AM

I can say for a fact that Free! is just slice of life. It's not specifically classified a BL anime, so no one's really gay (at least, not outright, but subtext is still only subtext). You can watch Yuri on Ice if you want a sports show that just happens to have a gay couple. It's... a different flavor than DMMD and the other ones you and Toxic have listed, way way more mellow, so I dunno if it's quite what you're looking for.

Personally, based on the opinions of most people I knew while DMMD was airing, I'd play the game. Nitro Chiral also has other BL games you can play, and at least two others have full English patches, I believe.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 12/18/2016 12:27 PM

Yessss I can finally talk to people about my love of BL anime hahaha xD No one I've talked to has heard of Dramatical Murder and it's probably my favorite <3 Clear is the sweetest thing ever and poor Noiz just breaks my heart! I'm so glad to finally find someone else who watched and enjoyed the anime.

I agree with Toxic - Love Stage (I've watched that one three times, it's adorable!), Gravitation and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi are all good. (Also, Toxic, you reminded me that I need to finish reading the Loveless manga. I'm only on volume 9 I believe)

Something I would suggest would be No. 6, especially if you liked Dramatical Murder. The main characters are both 16, and admittedly this isn't really a BL so there isn't a lot of cutesy couple scenes. But there is an underlying romance between the two main characters, and the plot is pretty great imo. Privileged kid who has never questioned the way he lives meets mysterious runaway who shows him that all is not as good as it seems - if you like that kinda thing, you'd definitely like No. 6!

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7194
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/18/2016 2:52 PM

Wiggles onto here I highly recommend No.6 and Yuri!!! On Ice if you're looking for healthy gay relationships that are represented well!! Yuri on Ice is my favorite anime right now. The No.6 novels in particular are very very good and expound a lot more on the main character's feelings and inner monologue.

No.6 - dub // sub
YOI - dub // sub
(No.6 dub is bad but your milage may vary, and YOI dub is excellent)

Doukyuusei is also a very nice little BL movie that is sfw but has a really nice love story. The manga goes a lot further into their relationship, from what I've heard, though I haven't read it myself. I can't find a link to the movie because Kissanime is down but hopefully you can find it somewhere!

The OVA Winter Cicada is kinda weird and very stereotypically yaoi-ish (it's nsfw too so watch out) but I actually enjoyed the story and the romance to a certain extent? It's about warring factions when Japan was broken up into different areas, age of samurai and such. You might like it, idk. See above--since kissanime is down I have no idea where you'd watch this whoops.

Nabari No Ou has a bit of BL tones in it, too! It's much more, like,, pure, though. The characters are children. But it's very sweet and I like it a lot, and it's more story and adventure based than romance based.

Nabari - sub // dub
(for the love of everything please watch the sub the dub makes me cringe)

Dramatical Murder is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me ahah, the Kojaku, Clear, and Noiz lines are my favorites. Mostly the former two. Virus/Trip and Mink creep me out sobs. I even have cosplay pets of Aoba and Sei pfft.

Can also confirm that Free! is not BL at all. Not even in the slightest. It's like all of the characters are these sexless beings who have no personal space though, so if you don't mind imagining your subtext, go for it. xD I did like it--MakoHaru is one of my OTPs (do folks still call it that these days) and their interaction is lovely, friendship or more than friendship. I dunno. Free! is just kind of a feel-good slice of life anime, haha.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 506
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby Mojave » 12/18/2016 4:52 PM

Yeah, I didn't start watching Free! for BL but to see what all the hype was. Lol So far I like it, though I'm wondering what the deal is with Rin's shark teeth. Like srsly wtf? ._.; Makoto is such a sweetheart, I wanna smooch him on the cheek.

I don't know about playing the DMMD games, though. For one my computer isn't up to handling the Coli on FR so.. lol. Also, I watched a video of Koujaku and Aoba's scene and I don't know how I feel about that style of game. Feels too much like those dating sim games like I've seen on OHSHC that the French girl obsessed over.

YOI is another I'll probably check out, though I don't particularly care for ice skating. Lol I mainly want to see what all the hype is for.

Clear. Oh my god he is freakin PRECIOUS cinnamon roll! -craid when she watched him fight for Aoba- Though I also watched the OVA and his sex scene freaked me the hell out. @_@ (Though Mink's scarred me for life!) Definitely never want to think of those two like that again! I personally latched onto Koujaku/Aoba the instant I saw Koujaku step in to defend him. Come on, a guy with nerves in his hair and a hairdresser? How can you not love all the doors that opens? Throw in that they're childhood friends and Koujaku is normally a ladykiller? Yeah I'm sailing that ship for life!! But I also support Noiz/Aoba and Noiz/Koujaku so I'll just make it a threesome cruise. Lol Trip/Virus is aesthetically pleasing because the characters are beutiful (actually everyone but Toue is beautiful damn) but they are some sick puppies and the few things I have seen of them on google image search involves their Allmates. And HELL NO to bestiality. >_< Just... -retches- 9000% can't do it. I really want to get some nonbreedables for Clear and Noiz and maybe something breedable for Aoba and Koujaku.

One thing I didn't understand about DMMD anime was Ren. Can someone explain that to me? How did he come back in Sei's old body?

As for Gravitation, I'm familiar with the story since it was popular back in 07 I think (I know I was still in HS) but it never kept my attention. I'll add No 6 to the list to give it a chance.

Winter Cicada is defo on my list. I'm down for some graphic samurai smut, yes. *_* (RuroKen was my first anime love. Give me all things Samurai.)
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/21/2016 6:16 PM

Double post because I just watched Hotarubi no Mori e and it was great! Bitter-sweet and I actually cried but new fave short film. It's about a girl and a spirit who can't be touched by humans and they fall in love.
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate