Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

What Species Should This Custom Be? [UPDATED W/ MOCK UPS]

Postby RiDragon » 06/02/2017 1:11 AM

Soooo I really wanna make a custom of a character I use a lot as my "human trainer" character.  At first I didn't really think much of not giving her a "pet form" but now...  Eh, It just feels right, plus I can give her a zoo pen section, and she can -actually- participate in events and such.

Her name's Olive, and she's...  Weird, I guess.  I made her in my "QUIRKY SO RANDOM I LIEK TACOZ XDDDDD" days and honestly I can't bring myself to change her much.  She's extremely intelligent but her airheadedness hides that really well.  She has Sherlock Holmes level of perception and yet is so hyper and playful that no one perceives her as anything but a ditzy girl, which can be their downfall.  She has few actual friends, preferring instead to befriend nature and magical creatures, but is extremely loyal to those whom she trusts.  She also has some weird supernatural abilities that I can best describe as "a cartoon character but in real life" like that she can slide in and out of "frame" and weird stuff like that.  Hope that uh... Makes sense.  It's hinted at that she actually has very strong magical powers, but she doesn't ever use them.  She definitely has some sort of charisma spell or something though, even if it's not on purpose, because she can get almost anyone to like her, though it works best on animals

I do have a doodle of her too but it's uh...  REAAALLY old and embarrassing, plus there are some differences that I'd wanna change.  And right now I don't know where my colored pencils are. So for now I'll just leave the personality here and see what people think and give a crappy short description:

Reaaaally fluffy blonde hair that I always imagine fluffing up when she gets excited and going back down when she's sad.  Pink shirt with a red star like marking on it, purple pants.  Yes, she sounds horribly eye watering, but that's the point I guess.  She also has two different colored eyes.  One with a dark blue pupil and light blue rest of the eye and the other is a light blue pupil with a dark blue rest of the eye.  (I say rest of the eye rather than iris or white because the style I draw her in she kinda just has the pupil and whites.  If that makes sense.  Sorry I don't know it's like 1 am and I'm excited for no reason.)

uh.  Sorry if this makes little sense.

UPDATE:

Thanks to Zap and Toxic I got some ideas for which species to use and did some coloring!  I would really love some more opinions on which look best, haha.  I went with Draculi, Fenling, Tali, Sygriff and Snowball.

Here they are!

So, some pros and cons of all of them!

Draculi: Pros; Floofy hair is perfect, Always imagined Olive as cat-like
Cons; Kinda has an angry face that doesn't fit Olive, Couldn't really get the colors right for the skull markings

Fenling: Pros; Foxes are great, The magic jewels will probably look pretty good, cute eyes
Cons; not much of an expression, kinda hard to figure out where the blonde hair should go

Tali: Pros; Perfect goofy face, adorable eyes that show off both of them and how they're different well, floofy!
Cons; Kinda difficult to decide color placement, never really saw Olive as dog-like

Snowball: Pros; Hyper looking, small and fast, electricity control, floofy
Cons; not much of an expression, pupils are kinda weird

Sygriff: Pros; floofy feathers, happy face, pretty colors
Cons; Can't see both eyes, kinda want both eyes to be visible so the color difference can be noted.  Honestly if it wasn't for this Sygriff probably would have won.

So, need some more thoughts now!  ;;  It's so hard to decide!  Right now Tali and Sygriff are on the top, with Draculi close behind.

EDIT #2~

Narrowed down to Tali Draculi and Fenling, now that I know I can have expressions edited.  Also redid the colors a little bit.  Aaaalmost theeere...

NEW!

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless
I will give... I will take

I will feel the stars crash, crash down
RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Keystones: 700
Donate

Re: Yooo What Species Should This Custom Character Be?

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/02/2017 2:25 AM

Hmmm!! Very cute character idea omg, honestly my first thought was a Tali; they have that cute goofy smile and floofy feathers (hair), so it could work! I'm partial to those though, they're one of my favorite species haha.

You could also get a nice goofy expression with a Kuhna, but if you're not intending to breed, spending the extra money might not be ideal lololol.

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby ToxicShadow » 06/02/2017 3:31 AM

I tend to go toward smaller, fluffy or "chibi," sorts of pets when it comes to typically hyper characters, so that's generally how most things on this list came up. Bonus on the Snowball because of the species' electrical capability. Energy, hyper, that's the connection I got there. As for Doom Kitty, well, they just look crazy, so it kind of fits. Crazy can be crazy-hyper, but they also look like they're clever, so yeah.

Snowball
Sygriff
Doom Kitty/Draculi
Fenling
Gyrraptor
Meji

Tali wouldn't be a bad choice, either, though, although it might not be the first thing I would jump to, personally. It does have the cute and fluffy look, as well as the goofy expression.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 06/02/2017 9:22 PM

Thanks for the ideas!  I'm gonna play around in SAI with the PSDs of those pets to see if I can get the colors down right, might post the ones that look okayish for input.  I always thought of Olive as more cat-like than dog-like, but we'll have to see how I feel after I can play around with the colors schemes a bit.  I didn't think you could get customs for Doom Kitties though?  Or did I misread/confuse them for something else..  hrnn..

also thanks for the compliment zap asdf my characters are my babies so it means a lot to know people like them.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/04/2017 10:09 PM

I'm... actually not sure, I THINK we can get Doom Kitties (main site is outdated) but. Let me check that lolol.

EDIT: Nope, they don't have a PSD, so that's a no sadly!

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby RiDragon » 06/04/2017 10:41 PM

Well thanks for checking for me!  I'm almost done coloring in some PSDs to see which looks best, when I'm done I'll post them here for opinions on which ones look best, along with their pros and cons.  So far the Sygriff and Tali look the best.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: What Species Should This Custom Be? [UPDATED W/ MOCK UPS

Postby RiDragon » 06/05/2017 2:50 PM

Okay!  Updated with some coloring done.  It was super fun to do and relaxing, I kind of want more things to color now.  I also wrote a bunch of pros and cons for them, haha.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2017 2:53 PM

Cute mockups!! I'd like to say that you can 100% get expression changes on any of them, at a price, so don't worry about angry / not hyper-enough expressions. Mouths and such can be altered / added, if you ask for addons and pay for them!! They all have some great qualities but my favorites are Draculi, Fenling, and Tali!

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 06/05/2017 4:16 PM

Oh haha, I actually didn't know that!

... Well, that actually makes the decision harder now :P  Hmmm...  -flops on ground-  why is this so hard

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/05/2017 6:22 PM

I feeeeel, picking the perfect species for a beloved character is extremely hard. Take your time thinking about it! <3

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 06/05/2017 7:42 PM

Okaaay, I narrowed it down to Tali Fenling and Draculi.  Thanks to you telling about the ability to change the expressions it made it both easier and harder x3;;;

I edited them a little bit further and added a crappy smile to the Fenling and Draculi.  Thoughts?

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby RiDragon » 06/05/2017 10:09 PM

Okay, I finally decided on Fenling.  It was a hard choice between the three, but in the end the Fenling showed both her color scheme and showed off her different colored eyes much better than the others.  Thanks for your help guys!  I'mma keep the other colorings I did though, maybe give her another form in the future.

I see the stars,

Drifting aimless
I feel their heat
warming, selfless

RiDragon
I have no life.
I have no life.
Pets | Items
Donate