Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

Holy cow...

Postby Freezair » 09/07/2007 10:13 PM

I don't know how many of you here were bookish kids. I was, though. Some kids would be begged to get taken to the mall on weekends--I always wanted to go to the library.

Regardless of whether or not you read a lot as a kid, I'm sure that somewhere, for some class, you have read A Wrinkle In Time or any of the books in its series or by its author.

Well, the author, Madeline L'Engle, passed away today at age 88. It's a sad day for children's books.  :(

(...Someone else here cares, right? I'm not alone in being really depressed by this, right?)

On a creepy note, that makes 3 famous authors who've died this year: Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse Five, Galapagos lots of short stories) and Lloyd Alexander (The Black Cauldron and the rest of the Prydain Chronicles) also died. Lloyd Alexander was ALSO a children's book writer... if another children's book writer dies, I will officially be creeped out beyond all reason.

Sorry for being such a downer, but my inner 10-year-old needs to go off and have a good cry. :P

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby Adelie » 09/07/2007 10:49 PM

Aww...I really loved Madeline L'Engle's books, especially A Wind in the Door, so I'm sad she passed away.  No more awesome books for me to read.

However, since she wrote all these amazing books (An Acceptable Time was awesome), I hope she'll be remembered for generations to come.

(My outer-almost-13-year-old wants to cry now.)
Adelie
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2255
Donate

Postby Solita » 09/08/2007 12:00 AM

DON'T TELL ME HOW IT ENDScausei'mreadingitrightnow.O_O

This is really, really . . . . scary/interesting/creepy? Ready for the long story? Sounds like you don't mind reading. ^_^

So, I read A Wrinkle in Time in fourth grade; we read it as a class, and I remembered it being a freaky sort of book. A year earlier I'd tried to read A Swiftly Tilting Planet and didn't understand it much (being in third grade AND not knowing it was like . . . third in a series?).

Then a few years ago I decided that I wanted to reread Wrinkle, because I knew I'd probably understand it a lot better. So I did, and I liked it, it was interesting (right up my alley with the sci-fi/fantasy thing).

So that was the boring part, but here's the weird part:

Over the summer I met a woman whose child has mitochondrial disease, which is when your mitochondria stop working to break down energy, basically. She did some research and found out that L'engle wrote a book about this disease - A Wind in the Door - about a decade before the disease was actually "discovered." Still today, this is NOT a well known disease at all even though a lot of kids suffer from it (and they're finding it may be linked to Parkinson's and I could go on . . . but I won't). We met again at one of the libraries 'round here just this Wednesday and the lady told me about this book, and I got all excited 'cause I'd started that series a veeeeeeeerry long time ago and decided that I'd go read this book now.

So I'm in the middle of reading it - L'engle is some sort of genius, I'll tell you what.

I'm really, really sad to hear she's died. :(
Solita
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2
Donate

Postby Tick-Tock » 09/08/2007 12:36 AM

A Wrinkle In Time was one of my favourite books when I was little... :(
and the DJ mixes them all, and the music rhymes but it crawls
and the music comes from hydrogen bombs

Once you get locked into a serious music collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Tick-Tock
DO THE ASTRAL PLANE
DO THE ASTRAL PLANE
Pets | Items
Keystones: 219
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/08/2007 2:32 AM

Solita wrote:Over the summer I met a woman whose child has mitochondrial disease, which is when your mitochondria stop working to break down energy, basically. She did some research and found out that L'engle wrote a book about this disease - A Wind in the Door - about a decade before the disease was actually "discovered." Still today, this is NOT a well known disease at all even though a lot of kids suffer from it (and they're finding it may be linked to Parkinson's and I could go on . . . but I won't). We met again at one of the libraries 'round here just this Wednesday and the lady told me about this book, and I got all excited 'cause I'd started that series a veeeeeeeerry long time ago and decided that I'd go read this book now.

Woooah--weird! Since I'm re-reading all of it, I now must read Wind and pay special attention to it now that I know that--that is really interesting.

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kittyms » 09/08/2007 8:49 AM

Oh my goodness,  I just remembered that my Grandma said that. At the time, I knew it was an author, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what she was the author of! :( So sad!! I really liked the Wrinkle In Time series.

Kitty's Breedables------The Menagerie
"Control yourself; take only what you need from it." ~Kids by MGMT
Kittyms
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 986
Donate

Postby Rezzpalmerre » 09/08/2007 1:20 PM

I read this series a long time ago. I think back in 5th grade? 6th grade? (I'm in my 3rd year of college now)  I love these books! Madeline L'engle was an amazing author. It's kinda weird because I just recently started re-reading "Many Waters" last week. (It's actually where I  got my Elder Kuhna's name from.) It's so sad she's passed away.
<center>Image
</center>
Rezzpalmerre
Novice Explorer
Novice Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 455
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/08/2007 4:50 PM

Oh yep, it is real. Actually, I think I can credit Miss L'Engle with a lot of the way I write, too, because I do the same things--I like to combine science with fantasy. I also now have the urge to write a short story about a character with mitochondrial disease...

...And to prove what a nerd I am, I keep mixing up mitochondria and midichlorians. >< (For those of you who don't know, the midichlorians are the things which supposedly account for the power of the Force in the Star Wars movies... but most SW fans don't like that because it kills the mysticness of the Force. XD)

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Fallen Faith » 09/08/2007 4:55 PM

I've never read A Wrinkle in Time before. I was suppost to as everyone in my grade did. I was in the advanced class so we read a different book instead. I'm not sure which because it's been 4 years. Our 'Advanced Class' was about reading harder things. The supid thing was that some of us were gifted in something other than english/reading so it wasn't fun for them. -_-

He’s like a curse, he’s like a drug
You get addicted to his love
You wanna get out
But he’s holding you down
‘Cause you can’t live
Without one more touch
He’s a good time Cowboy Casanova

## Adalfieri ##

Cabin/Breeders/Trading/Wishes
Fallen Faith
Master Pet Tamer
Master Pet Tamer