Feel free to talk about pretty much anything here with your fellow members.

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Gossip and Chatter

Anybody here good at Spanish?

Postby Freezair » 09/15/2007 1:40 AM

Anybody here good with Spanish? I need some help with my homework, but as it's the weekend, I can't ask my professor. The thing I'm working on isn't due until Wednesday, and don't worry, it isn't a quiz or anything. I just need to know "Como se dice...?"*

Basically, I'm making a portfolio, and the first thing in the portfolio is a short list of things about myself. We're supposed to list our "gustos," AKA things we like, so I'm making a list of my favorite stuff--favorite song, favorite book, et cetra. I'm getting a little hung up on the movie, though. I'm not sure how to put the title of my favorite movie into Spanish. It's Howl's Moving Castle, and I don't know how to say "Moving" in this sense. Is it an adjective? A verb? Am I in over my head? Should I default to the much easier to translate Lilo y Stitch? Right now I'm just using the mock-up translation El Castillo de Howl, but I'd like to do it properly if I can. If anyone can help me, you will have my eternal graitude and virtual cookies.

*If you're NOT good with Spanish, that's "How do you say...?"

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby SirMax » 09/15/2007 7:54 AM

Castillo m??vil del Aullido is the closest I can get. "To Move" apparently isn't a verb.
SirMax
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby Freezair » 09/15/2007 3:40 PM

Ack. Thanks for your efforts. Did you translate on your own or use a service? I don't think I have to "translate" Howl, as it's a proper name here. (However, I do have to "translate" my own name, since it contains a double "L.") I'll go with my first option for now, but ask my prof on Monday--unless anyone else knows anything. *shrug*

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SirMax » 09/15/2007 4:36 PM

I used a translator, but I did some checks on the conjugation.
SirMax
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items

Postby Solita » 09/16/2007 12:57 AM

According to some Spanish web pages about the author, the official translated Spanish novel is El Castillo Viajero.

http://axxon.com.ar/not/157/c-1570131.htm

EDIT: These kids aren't translating the title at all: http://alcazares.wordpress.com/2005/09/ ... nne-jones/

But that's the movie, and it sounds like the assignment is to translate it. ^^ Are they lookin' for something literal, and not the Spanish title? I guess it'd be, mm . . . .

El Castillo de Howl que se Mueve (The Castle of Howl that moves itself)
or,
El Castillo M??vil de Howl (Howl is a name, do you don't need to translate it to "aullido") (Howl's Mobile Castle)

"Castillo Viajero" is good (well . . . obviously, since its the official one XD) because it implies that the castle is alive and moving. Same with "El castillo  que se mueve", which is a bit wordy, but "M??vil" sort of implies that the thing is moving, but not under its own power.

*Trying to think of a less wordy but more literal translation*

EDIT part two: This first guy calls the MOVIE "El Castillo Ambulante". Sounds like they cut Howl out of the title altogether.
http://www.universotv.com/index.php?nam ... pic&t=5769
He can't find the book in Spanish, I think? Well, anyway, I'm sure this is quite enough information, lol. I'll stop now. :P
Solita
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/16/2007 5:16 PM

Muchas gracias! You are AMAZING. I'll go with the official Spanish title, since that seems more... uh, fancy, I suppose. I have no idea if I can credit people in my portfolio, but maybe I can say something like, "Muchas gracias a 'Solita,' por ayudando(?) me." Or something that sounds better. This isn't a final draft, thank Tangela. :P

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Solita » 09/16/2007 8:55 PM

Um um um wow, my Spanish is rusty, but I feel like that should be "Gracias a Solita por me ayuda."

Don't quote me on that, though. o_o I sometimes had trouble with reflexive pronouns. "Gracias por la ayuda" leaves it out altogether. ^^; It's also better to avoid progressive tenses, as they aren't nearly as common in Spanish as they are in English.
Solita
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Freezair » 09/17/2007 5:18 PM

Well, we're big on progressives right now (it's what we're studying) but I suppose you are right about that. I used to be awesome with reflexives, until I skipped Spanish for two years and then had to start back down at the bottom in order to make up for all the stuff I forgot. XD

I once translated the entire song "If I Had A Million Dollars" into Spanish just for the heck of it. 'Twas fun. XD

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Solita » 09/17/2007 10:34 PM

Haha, yeah, I'm trying to get a Spanish class before I forget what I've learned. ^^;

I think I tried to translate a Dragonlance novel into Spanish once. That didn't go so well.

What's really fun, though, is that I went to Spain over the summer and got manga . . . ¬°en espa?±ol! So that's sort of helped me remember the language.
Solita
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate