Whenever we have a contest, it will be here! =D Good luck! Users may also hold their own 'Evelon-related' contests here as well in the sub forum, but remember that you can only give away things that you rightfully own!

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Contest Central

Re: .: The Quest Master :.

Postby Kitsumi » 12/16/2016 10:10 PM

Quest: Send another user, that is NOT your Secret Santa giftee, a holiday gift! Big or small, it's the thought that counts. Take a screen shot OR link their post, if they have shared it publicly.
Reward: 25 KS
Completed (The name 'Kitsumi Claus' is listed instead of my username because I used my Lucain Kitsumi to deliver the gifts)

Quest: Purchase ANY two potions, totaling 80 KS or more. Order(s) must be made in this month. Link the post(s) in which the purchase is made.
Reward: A random unlimited potion.
Completed

Quest: Start a roleplay in Whisper Forest and make at least ten posts. Must be started in this month. Link it.
Reward: 50 KS AND entry into this month's Quest Master raffle.
Completed

Quest: Roleplay ten posts (or more) in any regular roleplay area about any of your characters having a snow day or taking a winter and/or holiday vacation.  Must be started in this month. Link it.
Completed

Quest: Make a snowman! But, this snowman doesn't have to be made of snow! You can use anything you can get your hands on to make it. Be it paper plates, clay, sand, sweet treats, and, yes, of course, snow, too. You're only limited by your imagination! Take a picture and post it here.
Reward: 25 KS AND a raffle entry.
Completed

Quest: Similar to the above quest, create a Christmas tree! Use whatever you can find, paper, clay, etc, to create and decorate a Christmas tree. You can get especially creative and make it some other sort of tree, too, like maybe a palm tree. Take a picture and post it here.
Completed

Quest: Share some music with us! Using the web service of your choice, where you can share your playlists, make a list of your favorite seasonal, wintery songs. This doesn't have to just be Christmas carols; anything from movie sound tracks, video game levels, are all viable. If it makes YOU think of winter or the holidays, it's fair game. Link the playlist here, and tell us a little bit about it, like why you chose any of the certain songs.
Completed

Quest: Make something delicious! Cook up anything you want, from holiday treats, to warm stew, or even simply toasted sandwiches. Take a picture AND share the recipe here.
Completed, with recipe (although I left out the avocado and hearts of palm, and left almonds on the side due to nut allergies)

Quest: Pick out one of your favorite winter or holiday related media pieces, or media that you strongly associate with this time of year, and tell us all about it. Why you love it, you it reminds you of this time of year, and so on. Books, movies, television shows, video games, are all permitted. Write at least twenty (20) sentences!

The one movie I always think of when I think of Christmas is How the Grinch Stole Christmas - the version with Jim Carrey. My family and I have been watching it together for as long as I can remember. No matter how many times I watch it, it always makes me laugh. And now that we've seen it so many times, my family and I usually quote half the movie together! I especially love when we watch the movie together after we've gone out and gotten our Christmas tree. Once the tree is decorated and all lit up, we'll put on the movie.

Back when all of my siblings still lived at home, we would all have to cram into the room together. We'd take up pretty much every seat there was, and it always gave me a great sense of closeness. It's one of the reasons why I have such fond memories of the movie - because of how it kind of brought my family close when we watched it. But even now that two of my siblings are living in different states, I still like to watch the movie with family that remains nearby. And now that Jed has married into the family, it's nice to have someone to cuddle up to while I watch it. The first time we watched it together, he proved just how perfect he is for me when he ended up quoting all of my favorite parts along with me! Even when it's not Christmastime, Jed and I will often quote some of the funnier parts of the movie to each other.

The movie has also become somewhat of a debate in my family. Whenever we bring up watching 'The Grinch' it always becomes a friendly argument with my step-dad about which movie is better. He loves the classic, while I (and at least a few other members of my family) prefer the Jim Carrey version. Sometimes we'll humor my step-dad and watch the classic before we watch the newer movie.

I can't remember a Christmas in the past few years when we haven't watched the movie together. I usually end up watching it a couple of times, once right near the beginning of the season and then again when Christmas really starts drawing near. I feel like it's become a sort of tradition for us to watch the movie together. So whenever we're together during this time of the year, and someone asks if we all want to watch a movie together, I always hope it will be How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And when it becomes December, I know it won't be too long before we end up watching it.

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7114
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 12/18/2016 10:30 AM

Quest: Create an image of your favorite winter or winter holiday themed color palette, with at least three colors, using any art program of your choice, and show us.

Quest: Solve this Word Search using any art program. Send the completed Word Seach in a PM to ToxicShadow.

Done!

Quest: Start a roleplay in Whisper Forest and make at least ten posts. Must be started in this month. Link it.

Quest: Roleplay ten posts (or more) in any regular roleplay area about any of your characters having a snow day or taking a winter and/or holiday vacation.  Must be started in this month. Link it.

Winter Holiday Quests

Elf Tier

Quest: Make a snowman! But, this snowman doesn't have to be made of snow! You can use anything you can get your hands on to make it. Be it paper plates, clay, sand, sweet treats, and, yes, of course, snow, too. You're only limited by your imagination! Take a picture and post it here.

Quest: Similar to the above quest, create a Christmas tree! Use whatever you can find, paper, clay, etc, to create and decorate a Christmas tree. You can get especially creative and make it some other sort of tree, too, like maybe a palm tree. Take a picture and post it here.

Quest: Share some music with us! Using the web service of your choice, where you can share your playlists, make a list of your favorite seasonal, wintery songs. This doesn't have to just be Christmas carols; anything from movie sound tracks, video game levels, are all viable. If it makes YOU think of winter or the holidays, it's fair game. Link the playlist here, and tell us a little bit about it, like why you chose any of the certain songs.

Santa Tier

Quest: Make something delicious! Cook up anything you want, from holiday treats, to warm stew, or even simply toasted sandwiches. Take a picture AND share the recipe here.

Quest: Pick out one of your favorite winter or holiday related media pieces, or media that you strongly associate with this time of year, and tell us all about it. Why you love it, you it reminds you of this time of year, and so on. Books, movies, television shows, video games, are all permitted. Write at least twenty (20) sentences!
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby CookingwiththeCobra » 12/21/2016 5:41 AM

Quest: Create an image of your favorite winter or winter holiday themed color palette, with at least three colors, using any art program of your choice, and show us.

WIP

WIP

Quest: Do a good deed! Donate to a food, clothing or toy drive, or even volunteer some of your time. Most department or grocery stores have collection boxes this time of year and every little bit helps; donations of small toys or a few cans of food are greatly appreciated. If physical donations are too difficult, consider giving a small monetary donation to a charity online, OR participate in Evelon's current charity event by purchasing a Phyrette. Share a picture OR screen shot of your good deed.
Reward: 50 KS AND a raffle entry.

CookingwiththeCobra
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1248
Donate

Postby Mojave » 12/22/2016 7:13 AM

Normal Quests:
Quest: Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holdidays.  Write at least five (5) sentences.
Reward: 20 KS AND entry into this month's Quest Master raffle.

My favorite gift this year hasn't even been received, but it's a puppy. I've been wanting a pupper since we had to take Stark back to the Humane Society in CO due to seperation anxiety that we couldn't get him over. It was so great having a dog! It didn't matter how crappy of a day I had, just coming home and burying my face in his ruff made everything better. Donnie's set on getting me a German Shepherd since they're my favorite breed, but honestly any intelligent dog that can be trained for companion/family protection, emotional support therapy, and some light service work will be good with me.

Quest: Solve this Word Search using any art program. Send the completed Word Seach in a PM to ToxicShadow.

PM Sent

Quest: Send another user, that is NOT your Secret Santa giftee, a holiday gift! Big or small, it's the thought that counts. Take a screen shot OR link their post, if they have shared it publicly.

Gift to Night

Elf Tier:
Playlist

Santa Tier:
Quest: Do a good deed! Donate to a food, clothing or toy drive, or even volunteer some of your time. Most department or grocery stores have collection boxes this time of year and every little bit helps; donations of small toys or a few cans of food are greatly appreciated. If physical donations are too difficult, consider giving a small monetary donation to a charity online, OR participate in Evelon's current charity event by purchasing a Phyrette. Share a picture OR screen shot of your good deed.

Screenie
Pen . Docs . Sales . Wishes . About . RP Records . Journal . DA . FR
Mojave
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 584
Donate

Postby FrostWynd » 12/25/2016 11:48 AM

Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holidays.  Write at least five (5) sentences.
Oh boy. There's actually one pretty distinct memory that was, kind of ironically, from Christmas many years ago, back when it was still a fun time for me. When my parents got me a Gameboy Advance SP, the lime green edition. That thing had been my absolute favorite for several years since that day, as I played games such as Harvest Moon FoMT/MFoMT, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Golden Sun 1&2, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords, Final Fantasy I&II, and so forth, for hours and hours on end any chance I got. It was a source of many great gaming memories for me, even after I eventually got my hands on the fat Nintendo DS. I still have that Gameboy to this very day too! While I no longer use it anymore, it was one of the best parts of my life that I do cherish.

In somewhat more recent memory, there is one friend of mine who actually did something really sweet for me during my birthday. Where he wrote me a little poem to celebrate my birthday. It was something I never expected, and was a gift that I still love even now.

Create an image of your favorite winter or winter holiday themed color palette, with at least three colors, using any art program of your choice, and show us.

Solve this Word Search using any art program. Send the completed Word Seach in a PM to ToxicShadow.
Sent!

Make a snowman! But, this snowman doesn't have to be made of snow! You can use anything you can get your hands on to make it. Be it paper plates, clay, sand, sweet treats, and, yes, of course, snow, too. You're only limited by your imagination! Take a picture and post it here.

Similar to the above quest, create a Christmas tree! Use whatever you can find, paper, clay, etc, to create and decorate a Christmas tree. You can get especially creative and make it some other sort of tree, too, like maybe a palm tree. Take a picture and post it here.

Share some music with us! Using the web service of your choice, where you can share your playlists, make a list of your favorite seasonal, wintery songs. This doesn't have to just be Christmas carols; anything from movie sound tracks, video game levels, are all viable. If it makes YOU think of winter or the holidays, it's fair game. Link the playlist here, and tell us a little bit about it, like why you chose any of the certain songs.
Playlist is here.

This one was actually pretty fun for me to do, and I was able to find a couple songs that I hadn't really thought much about in ages. Truth is, I don't really enjoy Christmas songs anywhere close to the level that I do with video game music. They've pretty much just stuck with me better because I grew up with them, and plenty of games do have winter themed areas in them! Whenever I think about music that has a wintery 'vibe' to it, I mostly think of it being calm, soothing, and giving you the sense of being alone. (But not lonely.) TP's Snowpeak captures that feeling extremely well, in my opinion. The Paper Mario songs even have some similar elements to them, except for the more peppier one. That one I just love because it's catchy, and does happen to be in the winter themed section of that game. xD The Harvest Moon winter themes? Heck YES. I love love love them~ I know that there's one song in there that's not like the others. But for that one in particular, I get the wintery theme out of it from the fact that I associate it with the ice castles that were showcased in the original video. (I like the orchestral version a little better though, so I found a video with that version instead.)

Overall, all the songs I picked out easily make me think of winter. <3

Oh Raven won't you sing me a happy song

You don't want me to stay alone
That's why you gotta sing your song
You keep tapping at my door
Nevermore, nevermore, nevermore
But can I ask you something
A favor from you my friend
This song you keep singin'
Nevermore, nevermore, nevermore

Zoo PenImp. DocsWishlistJournal
FrostWynd
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1692
Donate

Postby GrayGriffin » 12/26/2016 3:52 AM

ToxicShadow wrote:Quest: Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holdidays.  Write at least five (5) sentences.

One of my friends in America sent me her old 3DS when I mentioned not having one. Even though it's old and battered and the hinge is loose, it was still a really big investment, especially considering the shipping fees. Furthermore, another one of my friends took it on himself to pick up the 3DS and ship it when my first friend couldn't do it herself. Just holding it connects me to those people, even though I've never met them in real life. But to me, it's a symbol of how strong our friendship is.

It represents snow-covered pine trees.

Done

Here!

Elf Tier

Santa Tier

Buying Phyrettes! Some names have been redacted for secrecy/privacy.

One of my favorite "Christmas" stories is Hogfather by Terry Pratchett. It's part of his larger Discworld series, but stands alright on its own. It stars DEATH, who is much more friendly than you'd think, and his discovery that the Hogfather's lifetimer has mysteriously been broken. In the Discworld canon, the Hogfather, Discworld's version of Santa Claus, like DEATH himself, is an anthropomorphic personification, formed out of the belief of humans, and should only die/disappear when people stop believing in him. Since Hogswatch, the Discworld version of Christmas, is still ongoing, it seems this isn't the case.

DEATH finds the Hogfather's old outfit and sleigh (drawn by giant boars) and sets out with his trusty manservant to do the Hogfather's job and find out what happened to him. His granddaughter, Susan, gets drawn into it as well, despite her reluctance and current position as a governess. Meanwhile, a group of assassins led by the mysterious and somewhat freaky Teatime (pronounced Te-ah-tim-eh) set out on a mission of their own. Furthermore, it seems that the sudden disappearance of the Hogfather has led to a surplus of excess belief, making all sorts of odd animals, like a Sock Eater and a Dandruff Fairy, appear. All these plotlines eventually lead into each other, to an exciting conclusion.

There are many wonderful snippets in this book, such as a scene where DEATH learns about the story of the Little Match Girl, which apparently happens literally every Hogswatch, and defies it, taking her lifetimer and reversing the sand. There's also a scene where he takes the place of a mall Hogfather and gives out several unsuitable toys until his manservant reminds him of human values and safety concerns. Later on, DEATH approaches the wizards' "computer," Hex, and learns about the surplus belief from it, further cementing the idea that the Hogfather's vanishing is tied to foul play of some sort. DEATH then commands Hex to believe in the Hogfather, with amusing and sweet results. There's also Susan, who is very no-nonsense with her charges and is willing to beat up the various bogeymen and closet monsters that they create through their belief, and who continues this trend up to the climax.

As you might be able to tell, there's quite a bit of humor in this book, and that is certainly part of why I like it. However, for me, the most striking scene is the one where DEATH gives the Little Match Girl a second chance at life. Although his manservant tells him it's not allowed, he points out that as the acting Hogfather, he can. "THE HOGFATHER GIVES GIFTS. THERE IS NO BETTER GIFT THAN A FUTURE."

There's also a movie that was made of this book, which despite taking out several of Susan's more awesome moments, still has a lot of the same charm. And of course, the iconic scene of the Little Match Girl being spared remains. I unfortunately don't own the book or the film myself, but I try to reread the book whenever I get the chance.
Crossing my heart
Open wide
You're my crystal and clover
All of me
Honestly
Is dedicated to hold you

Swear to God
Double knot
What would you do if I stole you tonight? (Ahh ahh)
Why waste time? (Ahh ahh)

'Cause the world goes on without us
It doesn't matter what we do
All silhouettes with no regrets
When I'm melting into you
'Cause I belong in your arms
I belong in your arms

GrayGriffin
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2597
Donate

.: The Quest Master :.

Postby Moofius » 12/29/2016 4:06 PM

DECEMBER QUESTS

Quest: Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holdidays.  Write at least five (5) sentences.

As many of you may know Baal and I have been dating for a few years now (3 and a half!), but because we live so far a part I don't get to see her often. She's really starting to get into the game industry, and make some money doing the work she does, but that means she works even more than she did before. I'm at university still, with another year and a half to go on my degree, so with those two things combined we don't have a lot of free time either, and as a student I don't have a lot of extra cash laying around. This year Ashley flew me down to her home town to visit and stay with her, and it's been really great to relax and just hang out. So yeah, this is one of my favourite gifts so far. Also the dinosaur ornament she bought me this year is SO COOL.

Silver and Gold on a frosty evergreen background

PM Sent

Quest: Purchase ANY two potions, totaling 80 KS or more. Order(s) must be made in this month. Link the post(s) in which the purchase is made.

ELF TIER

Jingle jingle?

SANTA TIER

There's a lot of things that my family does around Christmas. All of our big traditions seem to happen here, from the Christmas eve gift of PJs to wear to bed, to seeing the Christmas lights, to the weird pickle ornament (that's from Germany but also not?), we got a lot going on. Then there's the less formalized things, like watching Christmas movies, listening to "Christmas with the Platters" and Raffi's Christmas album, to eggnog and hand cracking nuts. There's a lot of stuff! One thing that I hold dear and close to my heart is "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey".

First we wait until Christmas Eve, specifically the night of. We pile into the car; me, my three sisters, and whatever parent(s) are/were available. Dad was... spotty at Christmas, now it's just mom and I prefer that. We do this every year, only the last 3 having spotty attendance since my sister and I live on the other side of the country for school. When we get back from seeing the lights, pointing out the new and the old, the strange and the annoying (those weird blue lights, GUH!). Then we get inside, frosty and looking for warmth. Christmas eve gift is always PJs, without fail. So we open those gifts, get into our PJs, and do a bit of a runway show.

I don't know WHEN we started reading this book every Christmas, but it goes back as far as I can remember. Before it was easy to read it together, all the little girls crowding around mom, laying against her and climbing on top of each other. We still crowd each other, but it's a lot less comfortable when your sister has a couple extra feet of limbs and the weight to match. Still, it's that or miss out on the beautiful art on the pages. "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey" is a beautifully illustrated children's book about Jonathan Toomey, or Mr. Gloomey, a wood carver in a small village. He keeps mostly to himself and scowls a lot. Then he receives a special order from a woman and her young son who have moved to the village. They need a nativity scene carved, to replace the one they lost in their move.

Toomey agrees, not promising the set will be finished for Christmas, but allowing that it will be his top priority. He begins work, but soon has visitors. The boy wants to watch him work, and learn to carve. The boy tries to behave, but when Mr. Toomey is working on the cow for the scene he interjects saying HIS cow looked proud, because his barn had the baby Jesus in it.
"Pish posh, cows do not look proud."
"Mine did."
And so on with the sheep, the wise men, the shepards, etc.

While I'm not a religious person, I really do love this story. It's probably one of the few representations of christian ideas and themes that I find actually tasteful, thoughtful, and through the story of Jesus and Christmas, growth in all the other characters is made without it being obvious? I dunno, it's a story you'd have to read yourselves, and it's well worth the read. The little boy is a little boy without being annoying, and the details in the art and writing are quite striking. The transformation of "Mr. Gloomey" is quite the treat, and it's how we end every Christmas Eve. After we read the story we all head off to bed to get some rest before we break open the Christmas gifts the next day.
Image :.: The Sun Will Always Shine For The Imperials :.: Image
:.: Let Us Free You From The Darkness Of Ignorance And Weakness :.:

PenWishBreedJournalTradeRecord
Moofius
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1065
Donate

Postby Flame » 12/30/2016 1:51 PM

December Quests

One of my favorite gifts I've received is actually one which I just got a couple of days ago. My boyfriend and I have been visiting my parents for the holidays, and one day, we decided to go out and explore town a little. Now, mind you, this is a town which I've lived in for almost a good decade of my life (before moving away from about 6 years ago), so it has a lot of sentimental value and memories for me. One of my relatively recent personal goals has been to begin collecting handmade pottery from places which have meaning to me. There's a long story and whatnot there, but I'm particularly interested in collecting unique mugs made by local artists. I ADORE mugs - they are one of life's happiest things for me, as weird as that may sound. There's nothing like sitting and reading/knitting/writing/etc. with a hot, steaming drink on hand (be it tea, coffee, hot chocolate), and I dunno, just looking at a big, brightly-colored mug just makes me happy. There's nothing not to love about them, you know? So, we visit this local pottery shop downtown (and by golly, is there some awesome work in there), and I proceed to spend probably close to 2 hours just perusing the gallery, admiring the work, and trying to pick mugs. I originally just wanted one, but ended up walking out with four (a set for my parents and two for me), and my boyfriend bought the ones which I'll be keeping for myself. There's one which he just really liked for me, and the other, well, I just kept getting drawn back to it. It's a beautiful, really unique design color-wise, since starting at the top, the way it's glazed and finished makes it look like rusting iron (like, a rusty red/brown crackling down into a copperish green/teal), and while it's not what I would classically consider a "beautiful" piece, art-wise, it just spoke so much to me, since it looks like the essence of what this city is to me. Like, I look at it, and it immediately makes me think of this place that I called home for so long, and the fact that it was made here just makes it so perfect. I'm so happy that my boyfriend bought it for me, so that now, when we travel back to the state which we live in, I'll always have this mug with me to remind me of where I spent so much of my life.

Palette shown here.
I just love the gold-gilt glacial colors, like warm, indoor light on an icicle, or a frozen lake.

Link to the beginning of this year's gift-bombing, starting with a gift to Middy. ^^

[Link to purchase]

Elf-Tier Quests

Here's a picture of the snowman which I fabricated out of the yarn which I'm currently knitting a baby blanket with. I garnished him with some attire (also arms) with the help of my computer monitor. :3 (The picture of him may or may not have been saved under the name "Kill Me" XD) Also, it looks like someone had a bit of an accident on his lower half...

Here's a picture of the 'tree' which I created (also out of current yarn which I have on hand. So, it kind of...turned out looking more like a frozen yogurt pop, or a lollipop, and I would have used green for the main base if I wasn't so afraid that I wouldn't have enough green to finish this baby blanket. XD

To be honest, I'm really not a fan of Christmas music. Like, at all. I worked retail for the longest time in a mall, so you can imagine my brain was inundated with the same holiday tracks over and over and over for hours and hours on end. As such, I'm a little jaded when it comes to holiday music, but there are a few things that I will listen to during the holidays, or songs which just make me think of Christmas. I couldn't find a good way to actually create a playlist of these songs, so I hope it's alright if I just list them instead:
"Christmas" - album by Michael Buble
So, Michael Buble happens to be my mother's FAVORITE artist. Like, of all time. One of the first gifts I could ever remember giving her were three Michael Buble CDs, one of which was this Christmas CD, waaaay back when I was a young kid. I distinctly remember for many, many Christmases, all we listened to was this CD (and the other ones the rest of the year around), and I have to admit, he does have a gorgeous voice, so I haven't tired of hearing this music as quickly as I have most other radio-popular music. Plus, it's my mom's favorite, and who can say no to putting it on during the holiday season?
Wintersday Music from Guild Wars 2
Okay, so you guys may or may not know of my obsession with GW2. Yeah, it's pretty unhealthy, lol. But arguably, they make some of the most beautiful music in the video game industry, and Wintersday is no different. There is a whole soundtrack which they developed just for the holidays, and I LOVE it. Along with basically any and all GW2 music. I spent COUNTLESS hours listening to this music (especially one or two songs), since I essentially bashed my face against one specific type of game content in the game for more hours than I care to recall (I'm talking like...literally over 40 hours total - probably a lot more), and I got to listen to this music the entire time. Normally, I'm not huge into holiday music, but this instrumental music is just so festive and easy on the ears that it made the farming just a little less tedious. Plus, I did eventually get the skin that I was grinding for, so at least there are positive memories there, haha.

Santa-Tier Quests

Link to the post showing off the Phyrettes which I purchased. ^^

So, I'm a BIT of a baking fiend, and I LOVE to feed people, so the holidays are one of my favorite times of the year, since I can just go crazy, haha. Here are a few of the things I made this month, complete with recipes. :3
Golden Rum Cake
[Recipe]
For funsies, I decorated with Stroopwaffels cut in half.
Molten Lava Cake
[Recipe for molten centers] [Recipe for the cake]
I used two separate recipes for this one this year, since I didn't like how cakey the actual cake portion turned out using the original Ghirardelli recipe.
Chocolate Mint Candy Cookies
[Recipe]
I replaced the peppermint patties which the recipe called for with Candy Cane Hershey Kisses - holiday perfection!
Caramel Apples
[Progress Step 1] [Progress Step 2]
The gift bags which I bought for these guys turned out to be too small, so I improvised with clingwrap and ribbon. XD (Also, I need to dig around for the recipe, since it's actually an image strip created by a guy with fantastic hand-drawn explanations in the style of halloween (think Jack Skellington).

Okay, so being someone who worked in retail for a long time, I'm generally not huge on the holiday music that gets played every year, if anything, simply because I've heard SO MUCH of it. Like, literally hours and hours on end of the exact same music being drilled into my head while I sell gifts and the such to customers. However, there is one song which really reminds me of the holidays, and I have a lot of good connotations associated with it. Ironically, it's the song "Last Christmas" by Wham!. Okay, so I kind of really dislike the song itself, since I've heard it so much, but I do have one memory which is very closely tied to it. It was back when I was 10 years old, and my family visited Australia for Christmas. I LOVED everything about that trip - it was one of the most memorable travel experiences of my life, and I got to see and do so many things that people only get to dream of. Of course, the particular reason why I associate this song with that trip is (not only because we were there during Christmas) because one of the days, we went to a mall in Sydney. There, I got to try emu, crocodile, and kangaroo jerky, but more memorably, we spent HOURS there waiting for my mother and father to pick out an Australian opal necklace for her. It was deathly boring, and I very distinctly remember this song playing in the background (you know, that ambient Christmas music that all malls play at that time of year, even in Australia where it's summer, haha). I think I already somewhat disliked the song at the time, but ever since that day, I can't hear that song without thinking of that particular moment. While that moment wasn't exactly the highlight of the trip, it always segues me into thinking about all of the rest of the fantastic adventures I had on that holiday, so while I don't enjoy the actual song itself, it still warms my heart in its own, odd way. For example, I got to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef (which at the time, seemed a bit lackluster, since I was expecting to see the brilliant colors that I was so accustomed to seeing in documentaries on TV XD). I got to see the Sydney Opera House, and eat the best fish and chips I've ever had in my life (still trying to find a place - to no avail - that does one as well, although at this point, it might be the nostalgia-glasses talking). We went on a private tour of Queensdale and the Daintree Forest with the most fantastic tour guide - whose name was George - and he put a flower in my hair after telling me all about the particular plant that had grown it. I tasted an ant's bum - yeah, this one was really bizarre, but apparently these ants produce citric acid (if I'm remembering correctly), and I distinctly remember our tour guide at the time swirling them around in a bucket of water before grabbing one by the front end and planting its rear on our tongues. Weird, but definitely memorable. I also remember walking along the Golden Coast at sunrise and seeing the beach completely covered in tiny balls of sand produced by the little crabs which inhabit the beach. Oh, and I also saved my brother from a platter-sized jellyfish which had washed up on the beach as well - I wouldn't shut up about that for WEEKS. But yes, that only covers a fraction of the memories which I associate with the song, so even though I don't like the song itself, every time I hear it, it sets off the same chain-reaction of memories in my mind. <3
Flame
Well-Traveled Specialist
Well-Traveled Specialist
Pets | Items
Keystones: 6027
Donate

Postby Remedy » 12/31/2016 8:47 PM

December Quests

My favorite gift of all time is definitely my dog, Walis. I received him for Christmas my sophomore year of high school from my first boyfriend- kind of. It was more a gift from my parents for letting me have him. The guy was really just looking to get rid of the puppies however possible, since they were a bit of an accident. But he was nice enough to let me pick one! The relationship didn't last long, but I'm so so glad to have this pupper in my life. And getting the Lucain and Kuhna forms of him for here on Evelon were amazing gifts as well! I'm so grateful to have him on here. He's the handsome boy in my signature. c:

Sent!

Kreepy posted here showing off a Grass Wombear I gifted her! c:

Link to my post!

Elf Tier Quests

Made this snowman out of raw sugar cookie dough when I was making my cookies. c:

Here is a special Christmas tree cookie I decorated when I was making my New Years' cookies. c:

Link! Here's my Christmas playlist. There are only ten songs, but they're some of my favorites for the holiday season. Some are there for laughs (Froggy Fresh's "Christmas" and Relient K's "12 Days of Christmas," for example), while others are legit Christmas carols (like the ever classic Mariah Carrey's "All I Want for Christmas"). The real oldies (those by Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley) are some that my parents and grandparents love listening to every year, so they really get me in the nostalgic holiday mood.

Santa Tier Quests

I bought three Phyrettes from the charity event~ Here's a screenshot of the purchase, though it doesn't say what it's for. This is the followup PM I got from Baal. c:

I made some cookies for New Year's! Both the icing and the cookies themselves are made from scratch.

I got the recipe for the cookies from "The All-American Cookie Book." A summarized version of their recipe can be found here.
The icing I made is called royal icing, and is commonly used on gingerbread houses. I used the recipe from allrecipes.com.

"The Snowman" is a beautiful short film that I've watched every year since I was very very young. I don't remember exactly when my parents introduced me to the film, but I do remember I loved it from the beginning. The music and animation made it enchantingly captivating. It always makes me think of the holidays, even though it never snows where I live. I do remember that during the times I did get to see snow, I acted a lot like the kid in the film when I was frolicking around.

The film itself is about a young boy who builds a snowman that comes alive. It starts off with the boy building the snowman. He goes to bed but constantly looks out the window to see if anything has changed. When the clock strikes midnight, the snowman comes alive. The boy invites the snowman into his house to show him all the little things that kids tend to appreciate more than adults might. They are particularly interested in the christmas ornaments, which I used to play with a lot when I was a kid.

The snowman gets too hot in the room with the fireplace, so they go into the kitchen. The snowman tries on different noses and then they go upstairs. They trifle through his parents' room and somehow managing to not wake them up, despite turning on a light and trying on their clothes. Next they go to the boy's room and dance. Eventually, they are drawn back outside and climb on to a motorcycle. Their adventure gets a little more exciting as they race through the woods, nearly crashing.

They return home to drop of the motorcycle and the snowman wants to go back outside. Then they start running and take off flying, which is apparently another magical trait of the living snowman. This was always my favorite part, because the boy gets to meet Santa Claus and a whole community of other snowmen. At the end, the boy goes home and goes back to sleep and the snowman returns to his spot outside, where he eventually melts away.

I think back to the time when my search first began,
I left behind those shores of sand
For the endless everlasting world out there.

I know that with this burning passion driving me
Someday, somewhere I'll finally see
The light I have searched for everywhere!

-One Piece, "Hikari E"

HomeLogWishTradeImp. Docs
Remedy
Ultimate Explorer
Ultimate Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1982
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 12/31/2016 9:27 PM

Monthly:

Punk Christmas

Complete!

Dropped a Tide Kuhna on Thunder!

Elf:

Play-Doh Christmas Tree that the little one helped me make.

Playliiiist

Honestly, I don't care for the majority of Christmas music and the Christmas music I DO listen to, well, the majority of it isn't exactly festive. Usually. There is a local radio station that used to release CDs each year, with the proceeds being used as donations. There are several covers to existing songs (I believe done by the bands themselves), that turn their songs into something Christmas related. For the most part, these songs are impossible to find online, so.

All that said, this contains music from the Nightmare Before Christmas, ONE cover of "All I Want For Christmas Is You," by My Chemical Romance that my husband has listened to since I've known him, really, a few more "punk," covered Christmas songs, aaaand a few songs that remind me of winter, even if they may not be actually about winter.

Santa:

I WAS going to share my apple pie recipe, but the pie was savagely attacked before I could take a picture of it. Instead, you now get my breakfast. More often than not, these days, I end up making it as "breakfast for dinner,'" but hey.

Friend potatoes and scrambled eggs

Keep in mind, when I make this, it's usually enough to feed two adults, one with a large appetite, and a toddler.

Needed:
- 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes (about four medium sized potatoes or half of the 3 pound bag.)
- Oil of choice (I have used olive oil and generic corn/vegetable oil.)
- 6 large eggs
- Various seasonings
- (Optional) cheese of choice
- (optional) milk

- Wash and peel potatoes and dice into small pieces.
- About half way through dicing, heat just enough oil to cover the entire bottom of a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add potatoes and choice of seasonings. I use about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of EACH seasoning. Usually I use lemon pepper, garlic salt, black pepper, Goya "The perfect seasoning," which is salt-less, and Chef Merito "Steak and Meat seasoning; Carne Asada." You'd likely be fine with just the first three, though. I don't use any additional salt, since the other products have salt already. Some people also like a bit of onion powder with them, but I don't usually have it on hand. For the most part, you can seriously season to taste. Whatever sorts of seasonings you enjoy.
- Cook uncovered for five minutes. Try to stir very little! I usually only stir it when trying to evenly cover the potatoes in seasoning and if some seem to be sticking.
- Cover and reduce heat to low-medium. Cook for another five minutes. (You can also choose to not cover and cook for another 5 minutes as-is, but covering them seems to make them a bit softer, as they tend to cook a little more thoroughly.) Once again, stir very little, but at least once.
- Meanwhile, crack six eggs into a bowl and whisk (I usually just use a fork). Optionally, you can add a splash of milk; it tends to make the eggs a bit more fluffy. No more than a tablespoon, but I just eye it.
- Optionally, add shredded or tiny chunks of your choice of cheese just before adding eggs to the skillet. Adding it at the starts, the melted cheese blends into the egg mixture so it's not as strong of a taste as melted cheese on top of eggs.
- Uncover skillet and return to medium high heat.
- Push all potatoes to one side and slowly pour in egg mixture in the open part of the skillet. Pull cooked edges into the center with wooden spoon or spatula and scramble as normal. Some potatoes will be pulled into the eggs, as the egg will seep underneath them and require stirring into the rest. The eggs tend to pick up seasoning off the potatoes, so I don't usually bother with extra seasoning.
- Cook until eggs are solid, but not TOO hard. Overcooked eggs aren't that great, unless that's your thing.
- (Optionally) Serve hot/warm with ketchup, ranch or hot sauce, as my toddler and/our husband prefers. I eat them as is.

The truth is, I don't like Christmas time all that much. Not in the real world. As a young child, I could say that I loved it. My family has always had two Christmas celebrations. First, on Christmas Eve, the more distant relatives and family friends would all come over for a Christmas party. The adults did a "draw a name from a hat," gift exchange, while all the children got presents from everyone. Then, Christmas morning, we'd open presents from Santa and a few closer knit relatives would come up for Christmas dinner. But, as I got a little older, the reality dawned on me. The majority of the adults in my family LOVE drinking. They'd use the Christmas Eve party to drink like no tomorrow, and my holidays were filled with grown men puking on our couch, or drunk wrestling and nearly landing on my new puppy; which I pushed out of the way and got injured instead. Things like that happened every year. My dad never opened his presents, even the ones I got him, because he was too busy drinking. And then the majority of adults would have terrible hang overs on Christmas, itself.

That said, I don't have a favorite holiday movie. I don't have favorite, traditional, holiday book or song. None of those things ever appealed to me, because I came to seriously resent most aspects of Christmas. You could say that, for a time, I absolutely hated Christmas, and, even now, I don't feel particularly excited around Christmas time. With the exception of being excited for my son.

Whenever I think of Christmas and media that I actually enjoy, I think of an old video game for the original playstation called Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko. There was one level in the game, the very first one, I believe, that was called "Christmas Town." Here you are playing as a bi-peddle talking secret agent gecko trying to rescue a female human agent, bouncing around a snowy town decorated for the holidays, listening to a cheery, wintery tune. It is amazingly Chirstmas-y, as the name would imply. All while your typical enemies are evil elves, and the boss is an evil Santa, fighting them off with a smart mouth gecko that doesn't carry any weapons. You bounce on presents, climb down chimneys to invade houses, go snowboarding, thaw out frozen dinosaurs, all that fun stuff.

I can't say that I especially like the game because of fighting off evil Christmas entities, or anything like that, but it was just a game I always enjoyed. It's definitely one of the Christmas-y things that I love, while I don't really care for much other Christmas media.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby Atoli01 » 12/31/2016 11:07 PM

Monthly:
Quest: Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holidays. Write at least five (5) sentences.

I think my favorite thing is this little yellow duck that my boyfriend crocheted for me to keep me company as he went off to uni. (And I say little sparingly-- it's body is about the size of a human head, its head just slightly smaller.) That was before we started dating. I sleep curled up in a ball every night (I'm small, and it makes me feel secure) and that duck makes up the center, haha. I have trouble sleeping without her. We loving named her Dack.

Since then he's made me a whole boat load of things for me, all of which I adore. He's crocheted me a white and pink wyvern named Annie and the seven human hearts from Undertale as a Valentine's Day gift (which, while he was away at uni, mailed to my best friend and assigned him to hand it out to my teachers and my grandma), and just for this Christmas, cross-stitched a pink heart and put it in a frame that's going to go on my desk when I get back to school.

And to think I'm the one who got him into crocheting in the first place. So proud. c':

Done!

Sent some potions to Mousen Heath!

Elf:

I made these little snowmen treats here! Recipe down below. c:

Santa:

I recently volunteered with my fencing team at a small holiday festival meant for children suffering from ASD (autism-spectrum disorder). We split into two groups to run a snowman beanbag toss game and a game where the children had to knock over a triangle of cups with a "snowball" (white plastic ball). We also did a small fencing demonstration toward the end of the event where we let the kids try on the gear. We made a mini game out of that too and had them aim for balloons attached to our members' helmets with a sabre. It was a really nice experience! The kids were so sweet.

Here are some cute pictures. (I'm the girl standing in the last picture. No clue what I was doing, sheesh. xD)

Recipe for these little snowmen treats I posed above:

Ingredients:
[*] Jumbo marshmallows
[*] Mini Reese's peanut butter cups
[*] Melted chocolate
[*] Pull-apart Twizzlers
[*] Toothpicks

Instructions:
1. Cut each marshmallow in half. (Optional: pat the inside of one half against the outside of the other. The powder will be spread on the freshly cut section and remove some of the stickiness.)
2. Skewer each half of the marshmallow, one above the other, leaving about half an inch free toward the tip. You don't need to have any toothpick sticking out at the bottom, but it's fine if you do.
3. Impale the mini Reese's peanut butter cup with the tip of the toothpick. Make sure the larger side is facing down and push it flush against the top marshmallow. (Don't let the toothpick go through the other side of the peanut butter cup.)
4. Melt chocolate and dot it; two spots on the top marshmallow for the eyes, and two spots on the bottom marshmallow for the snowman's buttons.
5. Pull apart each strand of the Twizzler and cut it in half. Wrap these halves in the space between the two marshmallows. Secure them by dotting melted chocolate on the bottom marshmallow at the ends of the Twizzler.

I'm an absolute disaster, haha. I was raised with a game controller in my hands (both my parents are gamers) and started playing MMOs, god... when I was 8 or so? So for me, Christmas has always been marked by the addition of new Santa outfits, holiday lights strung on lampposts, and quests involving reindeer (all virtually, of course).

Because of how long I've spent on Evelon, it's honestly the first piece of media I guess one could say that comes to mind, though I know saying so wouldn't count for the sake of such a prompt. xD Speaking specifically about games, the other prominent choices to me would be Phantasy Star Online 2, Mabinogi, and EverQuest II. I always look forward to the holiday events in online games, and not only are those games close to my heart, but they go all-out. I haven't checked in on Mabinogi in a while, but the shopping center of PSO2 is currently Christmas themed and such a joy to walk into. I have very fond memories of playing EverQuest II with my mom and step-dad when I was younger (it was my first online game, which my mom convinced me to play with her), especially during the holiday season. True love is dragging your level 20 daughter through high-leveled holiday dungeons so she could get limited-time furniture and pets for her virtual room, haha. The towns were always dressed up so nicely.

I know that Christmas isn't supposed to be about the gifts you get. For me that's true... in a sense. While the items from the events were certainly a joy, I'd say a fair bit of the fun came just from the experiences. I'd spend hours in town squares snapping picture of the snazzy lights, me with the snazzy lights, and me and my friends posing with the aforementioned snazzy lights. It breathed fresh air into the community and life into my friend group (or family). Because I've never had a Christmas when I haven't been on break, I think the prevalence of online games during that period of time has been even greater over the years. Games served as an escape for me during the school year, but I was always limited by bed times, homework, socializing, and the like. During the holidays I would wake up, turn on my computer, eat occasionally, and then fall back to sleep that night. I guess you can say it brought a change of pace to otherwise dull and mundane breaks.

...Plus, MMOs were my only exposure to snow before I had a white Christmas while visiting my grandma four years ago.

A beautiful moon shines above again tonight,
And it sheds light happily over the world.
As for me, I'm just worthless, good for nothing,
Dreaming at daybreak, creeping at dawn.

Still I'll scream into the sky, hoping that somebody will find me.
I want to run, but there's no way out--
No bright future in sight.
But I still fly up like a butterfly, hoping that you'll find me.
A crescent moon, ugly children of the stars, flying with broken wings...!

Home | Imp. Docs. | Sales | Listing
Journal | Wishes | Roleplays
Atoli01
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1035
Donate

Postby Ander » 01/01/2017 12:41 AM

Quest: Tell us about one or more of your favorite gifts that you have received, for any reason, not just winter holidays.  Write at least five (5) sentences.

One of my favorite gifts ever given is admittedly rather silly, but it remains in my top 5 just for being memorable. I don't remember which anniversary it was for: first week, first month, something small and silly like that. But for it, Silas went to the store and picked up three boxes of Lucky Charms, one of my favorite cereals. I'd told him that I'd never gotten to eat it when I was younger, but it was (and still is) a guilty pleasure. I like the marshmallows. >> So the story, as I heard it from his sister, was that he spent about six hours with gloves on, picking through the boxes of cereal to condense every marshmallow into a single box, which he presented to me, proud as can be. It was so ridiculous and touching that I cried over that cereal. And then I'd like to say that I still have it or something, but I can't. I ate it and it was awesome. And he ate the leftover cereal, like a champ.

Done

Ander
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 314
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 01/04/2017 4:39 PM

KS and Potion prizes have all been delivered!

That said, I'll be announcing the winners of the regular December Quests!

We didn't reach ten or more entries, so we don't have all three prizes unclocked, but we've managed to unlock two of them!

Crow wins the First Place Prize: Choice of KS Christmas Seasonal Pet.

And Phoenix wins the Second Place Prize: cash/GT Christmas Seasonal Pet. (Excluding Mysterious Eggs.)

Please PM me with your choices!

The prizes for the Winter Quests have been revealed and can be seen on the front page. I will be rolling for those soon, so stay tuned!

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 01/04/2017 10:26 PM

Okay, lots to do!

First off, it came to my attention that I missed adding the writing quest that was also listed as giving entry to the Quest Master's Raffle for December. Those entries have now been added. However, so as not to take prizes away from those that were already announced as winners, I'll be drawing an extra prize on top of the 3rd prize, which HAS unlocked. My apologies for the confusion.

That said...

Freezair has won the Third Place Prize: Choice of Ancient Kuhna!

And FrostWynd has won the extra Prize, which will be: Choice of ANY Christmas Seasonal pet, KS or GT. (Excluding Mysterious Eggs).

Please PM me with your choices!

---

Moving on to the Winter Quests, we are awarding every participant a prize, as long as you completed at least one Elf or Santa Quest!

Berry Mocha Picchu

These will delivered via PM by some time tonight and will be recorded in the "Special Pets," ownership threads.

As for the raffle prizes, most of which feature some of the new markings or parts for breedables:

The winner of this Custom Kuhna is Mojave!

The winner of this Custom Soveris is Crow!

The winner of this Custom Lucain is Skeetzybug!

The winner of this Custom Paragon is Isalynne!

These critters will be delivered shortly!

I hope everyone enjoyed participating in these extra quests and that you enjoyed your holiday festivities!

Although it was written in the thread itself, I'd like to, once again, give a special thanks to Freezair for coming up with the extra Winter Quests and prizes! (And thanks to Kyrit and Silverin for making them!)

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Previous