Whenever we have a contest, it will be here! =D Good luck! Users may also hold their own 'Evelon-related' contests here as well in the sub forum, but remember that you can only give away things that you rightfully own!

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Contest Central

.:Contest #13:.

Postby BaalsBaby » 02/26/2009 9:44 PM

~**~

Oh my! Looks like we're trying something new this time~! Yes, yes I know it's been quite awhile since we've had a contest so... Here we go! 8D

This time around, you're required to produce a story! Yes! A story~ Sounds fun right? But there's a catch~! In addition, you must include the following given phrases in your story! Yeeep, it's tricky. >D

Rules:

* You must use all the phrases at some part of your writing for each entry. Create any kind of story you'd like; for example, an Evelon fairytale, a horror tale, a mystery or... anything! Oh! And you DO NOT have to use the in order. :3

* Bold each phrase in your story. =)

* Your story must be Evelon related~ You can even use characters from your pen!

* Two entries per person~ Both entries must be submitted in the same post! You may have TWO posts but only for continuing your stories. :3

* You can edit as many times as you want before the deadline.

Phrases:

* "I don't pretend to understand it but... are those whales in the sky?

* "Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off."

* Try as they might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at this rate.

* "I love you... but not that much."

* "There's a freeze warming- I mean, freeze warning in effect."

* With the kiss of a knife, her eyes shut forever...

What We're Looking For:

Make us laugh, make us cry... something. XD I'm looking for a good plot and a witty use of the phrases given.

Prizes:

*First Place - One Alonia Prize Pet (or Wild Pet) and 500 KS.

*Second Place - 250 KS

*Third Place - 100 KS

End Date:

March 8th, 2008 (Sunday) - The last day to submit answers.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Keystones: 987
Donate

Re: .:Contest #13:.

Postby Draco » 02/26/2009 9:53 PM

I'll get right to work! I am great at randomly awesome stories! Already have an idea!
ImageIf you wish to live, I have a few life rules for you:
1. Don't anger a dragon.
2. listen to rule 1.
3. Don't anger me. Trust me, there are less gruesome ways to die.
Draco
Master Explorer
Master Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 219
Donate

Postby clackno1 » 02/26/2009 10:11 PM

Characters:
Karma, male gen. Hydrokuhna
Zadar, male Sherbert Kuhna
Zila, female Sherbert Kuhna
Eshe, female Biolune Rollaby
Zyx, male Scribblens

"Zadar! Where did you put my journal!" Karma was banging on his half-brother's door. he was trying to keep his voice down, because the kit in the nursery was sleeping, but that was the third time that week that his journal had been stolen by his older brother."I don't have it. Try looking by the piano, you're always over there." Even though Karma was suspicious that Zadar did have it because of the fact that his door was locked he went and checked anyways. Just to humor his brother, Karma opened the top of the grand piano to check. His fingers lightly ran over the strings and mallets until they touched something hard and leathery. When he pulled the object out, he realized it was his journal. He needed his journal since he had just had a nap and needed to record the dream. As he was writing, Zila, his half-sister walked into the room, her hands on her fists and clearly not happy."What were you yelling at my baby brother for?" She was tapping her toe, frustrated and impatient."I thought he stole my journal is all." She sighed."Maybe you should check all the places before blaming it on him, okay." "I love you...but not that much." He didn't remember putting the small black book in in the piano, but it could have fallen in while he was playing. It was a possibility. Zila left grumbling to herself and he went back to writing. His latest dream took place in Lamenolai, which was strange because he usually had his dreams in places that didn't exist except in his own mind. he was on top of a roof, and there was a guardian standing next to him. It held a brass key on a chain and out of no where a voice spoke."Save us..." The voice was cold, but innocent, and he wanted to help them, but he didn't know how. He turned the page in his journal to keep writing and out of no where a brass key appeared on the page, it's chain hanging out of the book like a bookmark. The voice sounded in his head again,"Save us..." he didn't know what happened next, just that he had the urge to leave, to do something. He didn't want to go alone, so he took his book and the key and ran down the hallway to Zadar's room."Hey 'Darrie, want me to make it up to you? I'll take you on a trip." He could hear scrambling coming from the other side of the door."Sure!" "Okay, follow me." he ran to the front door and put the key around his neck so he wouldn't loose it. Zadar ran to his sister's room, just as Karma had planned."Zila! I'm going on a trip with Karma!" "What! Not without me. I am not letting my baby brother run off somewhere strange without me!" Zila hated traveling, but she'd go of Zadar was going. They left the house within a few minutes since Zadar kept bugging his sister to hurry up. Karma bought bus tickets to Lamenolai since they didn't have time to get a ride with one of the battlehearts, and the hollowheart was just plain scary. When they got off the bus at Lamenolai Zadar was looking around with wide eyes. He didn't leave the house much since he liked spending time with their dad. Then his eyes became confused and his lips pressed into a hard line."I don't pretend to understand it but...are those whales in the sky?" "Sure, 'Darrie, whatever you think." Karma rushed them along, not knowing where they were going, but at the same time knowing where to go. He found the building they needed and rushed into it. The elevator seemed to go too slow while they waited to get to the roof."Karma, are we going to the roof?" "Yes." "There's a freeze warming- I mean a freeze warning in effect." "We won't be there long." When they finally made it to the roof of the building, Karma didn't know what to do next. Something had puled him to this building as fast as he could go, but now that drive was gone."Uh, Karma. Why are we here?" He was about to answer when he spotted something he recognized, someone from their pen. Eshe, the rollaby witch was leaning against a guardian with her pet scribblens, Zyx. She didn't looked surprised when she saw them."It seems I underestimated the guardians. When they need something, they get it, fast." She walked towards them in her human form with Zyx sitting on her shoulder."I suppose you have the key then." Karma's hand automatically went up to his chest, pressing the cold metal of the key to his chest."I bet you don't know what to do with it. Oh well, by noon today this city will be mine. And the only thing that can stop me is that little key, but you don't even know how to use it." She snickered and it was then Karma realized that there were dark clouds forming above them. The icy wind whipped around them, sending chills up Karma's back. Darkness surrounded them, though it was still the middle of the day. His eyes flashed to the clock tower and it read that it was only a few minutes till noon."Use the key at noon..." Karma ripped the key from his throat and kept his eyes on the clock tower as his pulse started to race. About a minute passed when Karma realized that the clock tower hadn't moved. Try as they might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at this rate. The clock tower wasn't working right."Zadar, what time is it?" He yelled to his brother over the noise of the wind."Noon!" His brother yelled back. The dark clouds were spiraling down to where Eshe stood, creating a tornado shape."Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off. I could tear you to pieces." She laughed again. karma gripped the key and without thinking, through it at the spiraling clouds. Eshe screeched as she was lifted from the ground from the retreating winds. She pulled a knife from her belt and threw it at the three human form kuhnas. None of them knew if she was aiming or not, but the knife slid right along Zila's throat. With the kiss of a knife, her eyes shut forever..."Z-zila...?" Zadar choked out a sob as he caught his falling sister. Eshe was enveloped in the dark clouds and disappeared. Karma fell to his knees as the tears started streaming down his cheeks and falling to the ground. He barely noticed the voice that spoke to him in his head."Everything that the witch has done will be reversed..." Karma closed his eyes and clenched his fists, but then felt a sense of peace overwhelm him and he fell forward. When he opened his eyes again he was sitting on the couch in his room on his stomach. He looked at the clock and it said the exact same time as it had when he woke up before from his nap. He was in the exact same position and everything was in the exact same place. He became frantic with panic and rolled off the bed and scrambled for the door. He half ran have tripped down the hallway, passed Zadar who was standing in his doorway confusedly, to Zila's room. He cautiously knocked on the door, prepared for the worst. Zila opened the door slowly, her eyes distant."Ye-" Her word was cut off by Karma embracing her and squeezing the air from her lungs. Tears were streaming down his cheeks. His sister wasn't dead. The events never happened, and they only seemed like a bad dream. He put his sister down and took a deep breathe."Dad will know none of this." "Agreed." She embraced him and tears started streaming down her cheeks as well. Zadar walked down the hallway and turned the corner, and, seeing his sister alive, picked them both up an inch from the ground and squeezed the air from them.

One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century.
Jack the Ripper

Zoo Pen/~/Wishlist/~/Breeders Listing/~/Clickables
clackno1
Celebrity Veteran
Celebrity Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 305
Donate

Postby BaalsBaby » 02/26/2009 10:24 PM

Just a small update. I've allowed for TWO posts to be made so your creativity isn't limited. ^o^ I'd LIKE for you to post it right after your first post so they stay together, but it's not a requirement. x3

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
BaalsBaby
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pets | Items
Keystones: 987
Donate

Postby Ander » 02/26/2009 10:27 PM

In light of the new rule...
Ander
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 314
Donate

Postby Ander » 02/26/2009 10:28 PM

...I claim these places.
Ander
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Ultimate Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 314
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 02/26/2009 10:30 PM

*Puts a sign that states that "This spot claimed by the Gastropod."*

Random question: Do the quotes have to be in one line (e.g. he said "I love you... but not that much.") or can we split them up ("I love you..." he said, "but not that much.")?
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4526
Donate

Postby Yomegami » 02/26/2009 10:31 PM

Claiming this spot as well, in the event I need it (my stories tend to be looooong...).
Yomegami
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Celebrity Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4526
Donate

Postby Fallen_Snow » 02/26/2009 10:33 PM

Title: Art + Gertie = Sarcasm(A LOT of it)
Place: Nabias during an abstract art exhibit
Characters: Snowy(my main persona), Gertrude(Lucain yet to be created- for more info on her, I direct you to here, bottom of the page. :3)

"I love you... but not that much." Gertrude grumbled as she was wheeled against her will to the abstract art exhibit in downtown Nabias by her less than competent pusher, Snowy. “Oh, Gertie, I love your sense of humor.” Snowy laughed; Gertrude rolled her eyes. While she tolerated the young woman’s company, she absolutely abhorred this abstract junk. It was just a way to give slacker artists new meaning to their simple and “sorrowed” souls. Ha, they didn’t know real pain. They had their futures ahead of them, though if their future was in art she wasn’t certain.
She had a better reason to be angry at Snowy for dragging her out though. Today, she had wanted to go out herself in her Lucain form to see what she could do, but instead, she gained only hairy wolf-slash-human legs once again. Useless, just like her life. Everything came to a pathetic point in her life. She had accepted that her life was pointless from the day they told her she would never be able to walk properly again, at least in lucain form. It was impossible for her to walk as a human. As they passed a TV shop, a newscaster in a heavy Fenling-lined coat stuttered out, "There's a freeze warming- I mean, freeze warning in effect. You might wanna get those coats on, Evelonians!"
“If I have to ask once more-“
“Gosh, Gertie, have some fun once in a while! I swear, you’ll love this exhibit. All the art is, like, totally just… it blows your mind what you see in it. Just please stay and see at least a few pieces. For me?” she pleaded. She had been lucky enough to catch Gertie before she decided to start moping, and keeping her there long enough for her to actually enjoy herself. Gertie grumbled something along the lines of, “Real art didn’t require just seeing.” Or something of the like. She was at least glad Snowy had the dignity to help her into pants to cover up the ugly hairy things.
As she was wheeled in her portable prison through the metal detectors, the first thing she noticed was the many prissy little artists dressed in all black with berets and cigarettes. Pathetic. Gertrude rolled her eyes and felt the urge to spit somewhere, but held back. Lucky for the artists, her mouth was feeling dry. The last thing she wanted was to start coughing and drive Snowy up a wall. I swear, what that girl does to make sure I stay alive. She just doesn’t wanna quit, does she? Gertrude thought smugly to herself. She slowly peeled off her coat and handed it to Snowy, who went off and took them to the large closet. One artist looked down at her with a scrutinizing eye. Gertie gave him a stony look.
“I’m sorry, sir, what seems to be the problem?” she asked, narrowing her eyelids slightly. Her eyes were chips of ice, while his were a watery green. “Joo have no stayell or colurr. Joo is… how you say, pale in comparrizun?” he said to her. She looked at her outfit. She wore nurse’s shoes (really, did she need to change shoes? Because you didn’t really need different shoes when you’re in a wheelchair.), tan pants, and a white t-shirt with faded brown letters reading Chocolate Lover across the front (something Kairi picked out, thinking it was a ‘fun’ shirt for her. Pfft.). Sure, she wasn’t in style, but he was an artist. Since when did they care about clothes?! And, to make things worse, he was trying to pull off a fifties beatnik look. She blew air out of her mouth. It whistled between her teeth.
“Well, Mr. I-Came-From-The-Fifties, I think that you should keep your mouth from saying things it will regret. I may be in a wheelchair, but I am sure that I am more powerful than you in this business and certainly have more influence. You may be the artist- though if you really are an artist I have yet to see- but I am the critic. And right now, I have to say your art is not taking on the personality you think it should have.” Gertrude finished with a light but still very sharp tone to her voice. She eyed him with a smirk starting on her lips, poised to continue the speech. “Now, where is your art? I’d love to see if actually some meaning other than, ‘Look at me! Because I’m twisted into some convoluted shape that no one can figure out what it could be, I attract your attention! I represent some form of morbid suffering! Yay!’”
The man gaped at her, his cigarette tipping out of his open mouth. He quickly retrieved it and scurried off, glancing back a few times with a slightly frightened expression, waving his palm slowly to guide her to his exhibit. Gertie followed after him, taking hold of her own wheels while Snowy followed at her side. As soon as they entered his little section, Snowy was taken aback by the wonderful exhibit. “I don’t pretend to understand it, but… are those whales in the sky?” she asked Gertrude, smiling and hoping that Gertrude would get into it through her question.
It truly was a magnificent sight. White whales made of cotton balls and Styrofoam hung from the ceiling, spinning slightly. Bright blue ribbons, streamers and strings cascaded around them, down and down and down, just stopping at a height comfortable where no one would get an unexpected tickle on their forehead or cheek. “Beautiful… the sky is falling, but he makes it seem like a good thing!” Snowy said quietly in an awed voice. Gertrude looked about with a bored expression, taking in less of the art and more of the people there. Some of them were downright curious- there were children with thick, Hollowheart horns protruding from their skulls. A baby passed in their mother’s arms; at least she thought it was her mother, as the baby showed off Sygriff plumage along its pudgy face while the mother wore the various little baubles of the pet.
The thing she noticed most was two women, both very curvy and very pretty. But that was not what attracted her attention- they danced about freely, a rainbow of ribbons fluttering about their figure. They were crazy, ambitious, and yet they looked happy and alert. They skipped to her, pulling a ribbon between them: it was a beautiful red orange that shimmered and reminded Gertrude of wildfire. As they made to put it around her, she shook her head. “No, thank you. I would rather not.” She said politely, raising her hands to stop them. They halted and frowned at her, giving her the worst sad face she had seen in her life. Longshot could do better than them. “Do not give me that. Away with you before I am forced to raise my voice.” She gave them her famous steely look and they wilted under it.
But before they began to step away, Snowy reached out and caught the closer one’s shoulder. She played with a ribbon, readjusting it on the girl’s shoulder, then said "Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off." She told her. “Here, I will make sure she keeps her ribbon. Do you have one for me?” the girls smiled, and selected a bright but soft light blue, and the closer wrapped it loosely around her neck like a scarf. Snowy smiled enthusiastically, saying proudly, “Oh, what a wonderful color for myself! You must see auras.” She gushed, as if she wanted to know more. The girls passed a look between them and nodded with a shrug. “Well, thank you for the gifts. We appreciate them greatly.” She told them sweetly, and said a small goodbye to them. Gertrude ground her teeth as they leaped and pranced away, going to toss a few more ribbons onto visitors. “What was that all about?! I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself. If I have to send people away disappointed, so be it! Why-”
“Gertrude.” Snowy’s firm but quiet voice snapped Gertie out of her rant. She came up and drew Gertrude’s fire colored ribbon around her and then let it slide into her lap. “Disappointment is not something anyone ever wants to have. Just because you’ve had so much disappointment, so much anguish... why does it need to be transferred to other people? There are ways to get rid of it without making others feel it. The true strong people get past their troubles and fight to make everyone’s life better. What’s the matter with you, Gertie? So you fell. There’s no reason your disability should keep you from smiling.”
The young girl’s face was a stone, and a tear that slide down her cheek froze below the cheekbone. She flicked it off -not without a bit of anger behind it- and stalked away, trying to keep her tears from flowing freely. The middle-aged woman sighed with frustration, looking away. She could not look at the ribbon in her lap; instead her eyes were drawn to the clock tower outside the window. She begged it to go back, or forward- any time that would give her the chance to make everything better. Try as she might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at this rate. She groaned inwardly, and her head went down. Immediately the bright contrast of her ribbon to her slacks made her stare at it with a heavy amount of curiosity. It wasn’t as beautiful as when it was about to be handed to her. It was limp and folded and lacklustre. It reminded her of, well, her. Before her accident, she had been excited, fearless... ready to be a great.
“Xai’re, why have you cursed me to go through so much heartbreak? Why did you choose to take my dreams away?” she whispered- she was defeated and broken down; she was vulnerable. Suddenly, a small cough interrupted her grieving. She looked up and saw, to her surprise, the artist. He looked at her with a sadness she had not detected from him. “Yes?” she asked, her tone sharp and icy. He flinched, but held his ground. “I wud like tu show joo sumtink.” He said, and placed himself behind her chair and pushed. She did not argue; something about him seemed sincere now. Though she was not sure what he could want to show her.
She was pushed into a small room with two paintings and an illuminated book in it. The walls were swirled and splotched with blues and was seamless with the art outside it. No one was inside; barely anyone actually noticed the room. The artist shut the door, and silence cushioned the room and gave Gertie a sense of security. A beautiful mosaic of the sun just rising above the clouds was in front of her, and a warm yellow light, soft but still bright, made it look almost real. “This is beautiful...” Gertrude said in an awed voice; the artist smiled in pleasure. “I’m glad joo like eet.” He told her, gesturing towards the book. “But that’s nut whut I vanted joo tu see.” He snapped up the illuminated book and brought it over to her, handing it to the paralyzed woman gently. “My life’s work... it’s my best work ever. I studied illumination in many countries. It took me seven years and eight months to finish this.” He said to her. She lifted the cover as slowly as she could, handling it like the finest china. As she flipped through the pages, she became engrossed in the pictures. As she looked closer at each one, more was revealed. A tree with a knothole in it became an owl’s home, with two round white eggs and a down-lined nest. The waves of an ocean became so complex that she got seasick just looking at it. “These are... I have no words for this fine art.” She said. As she arrived at the last page, she was thrown off. It showed a woman with a knife to her throat. At the bottom, there were a few words. With the kiss of a knife, her eyes shut forever...
“That vas thee last I saw of mai mother. She... she tuk her life becuss her husbend, mai fahder, he was keeled in a car accident. She cud not tink of a life wethut heem. She did nut consedur mei.” He said, his eyes stoic as he tried not to remember too much of the night he became an orphan. Gertrude saw the same sorrow she had in him. “I had been luking forwurd to a prumized day at thee park with mai dud. Instead that day, I went tu thee priest to tell heem that I wuz an orffen.”
Gertrude handed him the book; he took it solemnly, placing it softly on the stand and flipping to a happier page. “Please ma’am... I saw that joo were struggling to hev a fun time. Sence mai trajedy, all I hev vanted vas fur mai parents to be prud of mei. Today I know they are.” Gertrude sniffed and turned away. “I’m sorry for your loss... and I think that your exhibit is creative and magical. But next time... I want you to show everyone that book.” She told him with her polite voice. “It’s the best thing you have going for you.” She smiled slyly, and with that, she rolled her way out of the room, opening the door to be greeted by waves of sound. As she rolled aimlessly through the exhibit, Snowy ran up to her, distraught. “Oh, Gertie! Thank Gods I’ve found you; I was so worried!” she cried, hugging the woman and letting out a small sob. “I’m so sorry I got angry at you, I-”
“Shhh, Snowy.” Gertrude said, putting her finger to Snowy’s cool lips. “Can you do me a favor? I have an apology to deliver."
About you and me: it's plain to see,
We only ever want to stay inside and watch TV,
Because that's just as good a memory,
You're just good company,
And I am finally accepting that.

Remember the time when we stole the whole day?
And nobody knows it, we took it away,
And it will be forever mine,
And it will be forever yours
Now we own the night, and it can't be undone,
We'll never forget how it feels to be young,
Cos it will be forever mine,
And it will be forever yours.

I did not make my avatar.
Fallen_Snow
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby Fallen_Snow » 02/26/2009 10:33 PM

Title: Ahh, Young Rivalry!
Characters: Marie(persona), Longshot(male custom lucain),Cecil Nobody(male bred lucain)
Setting: Zoo Pen, Terrace Park

"With the kiss of a knife, her eyes shut forever..."

Marie held the book in front of her, her eyes excitedly going down the page. She was once again reading out loud to herself. Though this time, she had unexpected visitors. In the kitchen doorway were two very unlikely souls- Longshot and his best friend at the moment, Cecil Nobody. Nobody insisted that Longshot listen to Marie's stories, as it was fun to do. Cecil enjoyed them immensely, but Longshot was quaking slightly. He never liked scary stories. But he wouldn't leave until Nobody did. No way. He was staying here until they were caught or Cecil got bored, which wasn't likely. He shut his eyes as Marie continued, trying to block out the horrifying scenes his mind brought to him.

"Try as they might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at this rate. Andy ran faster, his brother shooting ahead. His time was running out slowly, as if death himself wanted it to be as torturous for him as possible. Angela was dead, he knew, because of the man chasing him. The cloaked figure was gliding smoothly through the crowd towards him, going through them easily as people parted eagerly. All were frightened by the dark-coated man, scared of what he was capable of. Suddenly, a glint of light passed in his hands, and he raised one up, a revolver in hand. 'Goodbye, Mr. Andrew Tomsy.' he said quietly, and pulled the trigger. As the bullet sailed at Andrew-"

"NO!" squealed Longshot, clawing at his ears. In his head he saw all the blood and gore. He wanted to throw up really badly. Marie jumped, letting out a small "Argh!" of fright as she was assailed by the child's frightened yell. "Longshot! What are you doing up?!" she yelled, clutching her chest. She could feel it's pulse going like a hummingbird's. Longshot couldn't hear her; nausea threatened to overtake his stomach. "I feel- sick." he blubbered, gasping. His stomach was clenched and jumpy, and his heart wouldn't slow. He looked for Nobody, but he was nowhere to be seen. He figured that he felt worse than himself and decided to get to the bathroom before he blew chunks and got the girls mad at him. "What possessed you to listen to me? You know my books are scary." Marie cooed, kneeling down and pulling him into her arms, trying to calm him. "N-nobody." he whimpered. "Nobody told me." Marie glared at him. "Nobody, huh? You know, superheroes don't lie." Marie said in an irritated tone.

"But I'm not lying! Nobody is real! He wears overalls an' a white shirt an' has a dirty face an'-"

"That'll be enough out of you. It's time to get to bed. Let's go..." she urged, patting him on the butt to get him moving. He stumbled blindly down the hall til Marie flicked on the light. They made their way down to Longshot's door, which was marked with a sign on it that said "Superhero On Premises. Room". Longshot had crossed out Premises because he didn't know what it meant. When he asked Marie what it was, she said it was like his room. So he filled in Room instead. She snapped open the door and gave him a loving nudge inside.

"Let's go, get your pajamas on, and maybe I'll read you a story so you can get mine out of your head." At hearing this, Longshot rushed to his closet where in a shelf to the side sat three pairs of PJ pants and two shirts. He chose his Batman pants and black t-shirt and quickly shoved his many limbs into the specified holes. When he was fully clothed for bed, Marie pulled back his blue sheets. "C'mon, get in!" she said enthusiastically. "Superheroes need their sleep." Longshot jumped into his bed and got cozy as the girl tucked the covers in around him. "There, all tucked in... now, where's that storybook? I know this one will get you to fall asleep in no time." she said, stepping up to a bookshelf no taller than Marie's belly button.

"Aha! Midge Humble, here it is!" she said, pulling out a a thick cardboard-paged book. On the cover it had a picture of a child soaring through the air, a rainbow flooding out behind him. She opened the book and pulled over a chair, sitting down a few feet from Longshot's bedside. "You ready?" she asked the child. He wiggled, making sure he was secure, then said, "Ready, captain." he said. Marie smiled. "Alright. Here we go..."  

As Marie began the story, Cecil slipped in, still invisible. He had taken residence at the house without incident, as to all he was a lovable lucain, while to Longshot and all little kids he was an eight year old boy that caught their attention. Remembering that he needed to keep up his guise, he shifted to lucain form and quickly curled up behind Marie, letting his body fade into existence behind her. His eyes were closed, but he listened to the story. He would change it in the night and whisper it to Longshot to give the small superhero nightmares.

"Once upon a time, a boy was born to a very poor family. They named him Midge Humble. As Midge grew, they found something odd about him: his skin was rippled with prismatic colors. He loved his colorful attire, but soon grew to hate it. Because of it, his family became very protective. He was valuable! His colors attracted attention, which they used to get money with. People tossed him coins, and they bought food with it. But as he got older and his tenth birthday came around, he longed for adventure. But his parents would keep him holed up in their small hut, telling him to not do this and not do that. "Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off." they would tell him constantly. He began to get sick of it. One day, he managed to sneak away from his greedy parents. It had rained just a few minutes ago, so they wouldn't notice if he'd gone. So, he decided to be adventurous. He wanted to fly."

Marie looked up from the book to see that Longshot was starting to doze. She smiled, then continued.

"It was that very day that he climbed to the highest tree he knew of and jumped off of it. He flapped his arms, once, twice, three times. And then he was soaring. But something was happening. He looked at his outstretched hands- what was once colorful was now fading to a pale color. His parents had been right! His colors were falling off. But as he looked back to see if he could retrieve them, he saw that they made a pretty band of colors behind him. "Wow!" he exclaimed, "it's beautiful!" as he continued, he found himself going closer to the ground. As his feet brushed the ground, he straightened up and let his feet stop him. He looked up into the sky to inspect his handiwork. The beautiful rainbow band stretched across the gray expanse. He smiled. He had brought color to the sky!"

Marie closed the carboard book quietly, seeing that the child was asleep soundly. She slipped the book into an empty space in the bookshelf and left.

That night Cecil kept Longshot tossing and turning until three o' clock in the morning with the stories he cooked up from the lame fairytale he'd suffered through last night.

"C'mon, Longshot, let's go get some ice cream!" shouted Nobody the next day, his smile bright with mischief. Longshot trailed behind him, rubbing at his eyes. "Can't we take a nap?" he asked sleepily, covering up a yawn. Nobody glared at him. "No, sleepypants! Don'tcha want ice cream?" Longshot nodded drowsily. "Alrigh' then. Let's go!" shouted Cecil, leading Longshot through Terrace Park to a small cart. In the cart were many frozen treats for all to have. "Wait here. I'll go get us a snack." he said to Longshot.

As the man took orders from a woman, Cecil snuck behind him and stole two orange creamsicles. He dashed away as fast as he could, pumping his arms and reaching Longshot in record time. Longshot looked at him with an angry yet confused look. "You stole those...!" he said, rubbing at his eyes again. "Nuh-uh." Nobody retorted. "C'mon, eat it. Before people see."

"No! I'm a superhero, superheroes don't steal."

Cecil rolled his eyes and shoved a bar into the child's hands. "C'mon, eat it!" he shouted angrily. Longshot sighed. "Fine, Nobody." he said with a little irrtation in his voice. Just as he started to peel away the wrapper, Marie called out, "Longshot~!"

Crud! Cecil thought to himself. He quickly disappeared, throwing his own ice cream at Longshot's feet. As Marie neared, Longshot, sensing trouble, hid the ice cream behind his back. Marie couldn't get him in trouble with something she couldn't see.

"Longshot! There's a freeze warming- I mean, freeze warning in effect. Put your coat on!" she told him, pulling at his arm so she could shove it through a heavy winter coat arm. "Aww, Marie!" he whined, but suddenly she lifted his arm and saw the ice cream. "Where'd you get this, Longshot?" she asked, puzzled. "Did you pay for it?"

"Nobody gave it to me. Nobody stoled it, Marie! He stoled it!" he shouted, scared that he would get the blame again. He pointed down the hill. "Nobody ran that way!" he yelled. "Nobody! Nobody!" he called down the hill. A playground writhed as a mass of children played away their day on it. "Nobody!" he called one more time before Marie turned his face back to hers. "Yeah, and whales swim in the sky. Longshot, I warned you about lying once before. I can't believe you stole these! I love you... but not that much. Let's go, we're going home." she scolded, pulling up the zipper on his coat and taking his hand. "I obviously can't trust you anymore."

"But Marie-!"

"No buts! When we get home you better hope Snowy is in a good mood." she growled, tugging on his arm painfully. Longshot pouted; Nobody kept getting him into trouble. As they walked home, Cecil caught up with them, but instead of showing himself to both of them, he managed to himself visible to only Longshot, though it took a lot of concentration. As soon as Longshot noticed him, he began to point and shout, "Nobody! Look, Marie, it's Nobody!" she looked to his side but saw no one there. "Longshot, be quiet before I give you your punishment myself!" she shouted. Longshot fell silent.

"Hey, Longshot- I don't pretend to understand it but... are those whales in the sky?" he snickered. Longshot glared at him.

"Go get a new name." Longshot retorted.
About you and me: it's plain to see,
We only ever want to stay inside and watch TV,
Because that's just as good a memory,
You're just good company,
And I am finally accepting that.

Remember the time when we stole the whole day?
And nobody knows it, we took it away,
And it will be forever mine,
And it will be forever yours
Now we own the night, and it can't be undone,
We'll never forget how it feels to be young,
Cos it will be forever mine,
And it will be forever yours.

I did not make my avatar.
Fallen_Snow
Ultimate Veteran
Ultimate Veteran
Pets | Items

Postby Ketsala » 02/26/2009 10:50 PM

Alrighty- I changed the sentences slightly, but I think it's close enough? If it's not...PM me or something. :oops:

•••••

The pale lavender moonlight gave an almost euphoric quality to the night air. Double moons, one larger then the other, made this night brighter then most. One, the smaller moon, was full- the larger one was the classic crescent. Anyone looking for signs of life on this night would be out of luck, as no one was outside for miles. Except for one.
       "I...don't even know what's going on. Two purple moons, red grass?!? Who screwed with the world palette?" yelled the Lucain.
       This female Lucain, wading through the grass, seemed to be the only one outside this night. Even the mice you'd expect in this field were missing. She was female, black with a flamingo pink Shadebane and a cream Belly. Her Coontail was equally pink, with the same cream BoneFish and black/purple wingblades. She seemed to be extremely confused.

"Extremely confused?!? Hells yes, I'm confused! I'm in a foreign, weirdly colored world where life doesn't seem to exist and a weird narrator is telling an invisible audience what I look like!" exclaimed the Lucain.
       Um. Are you honestly telling me you can hear me?

"Yes I can hear you! Sorta hard not to! And where is everyone in this desolate planet?!?" she demanded.
       There's a freeze warming- I mean, freeze warning in effect. No one in their right mind would be out at this time.

"Wait. Freeze warning? It's not cold at all! It's warm!"
       Actually, for this planet, it's freezing outside. Would you stop interrupting me? I'm trying to make this story good.

"Alright fine, do your crazyspeek. I'm going to ignore you," she huffed.
       That tirade done, the Lucain leaped off, running as fast as she could through the red grass fields. She seemed to be looking for something. Then, something seemed to catch her eye, and she looked up.

"I don't pretend to understand it but... are those whales in the sky?"
       The flying aquatic animals took no notice of the-

"You! What are whales doing up in the sky?" she demanded to the air.
       Um...it's different in this world, yeah? Whales fly here. Birds, coincidentally, swim. It's just how it works.

"But...whales can't fly! They don't have wings! Or...anything! They're built to swim!" she protested.
       I didn't say it made sense.

"Fine. If you know so much, how come I'm here?" she asked.
       That's....actually, I'm not quite sure myself. Eventually you'll return, don't worry...It just might take a while.

"Brilliant, I'm stuck here," She sighed. "Sooo...what's this place called, anyways?"
       This planet is called Viiren. The main sentient species call themselves Frra. They're about the size of one of your paws.

"And...where are all these...Fra?"
       I told you, freeze warning. The can't come outside tonight, they'd freeze to death!

"If this is freezing...how hot is it normally?" she wondered.
       Normally it's around 110° Fahrenheit.

"Dang! I guess for them, it is freezing..." She sighed. "It's sorta lonely, what with me being the only one here. Then again, this place is really weird, so I wouldn't wish this on anyone else."        
       It's not that weird...

"Well, I'm gonna go swimming...unless the water's frozen? I need to pass the time somehow."
       Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off.

"Whadya mean, my colors'll fall off? That's not possible either!" she demanded.
       Well, water is acidic here. It makes colors fall off.

"That's...that's...gah. Fine, have your crazy world. Anything else I should know?"
       Well...there's a clocktower on your tail.
       Sure enough, instead of a third tail, the Lucain just had a stump. The rest of the tail seemed buried underneath a large clocktower.

"Gah! Where did that come from?!? Geditoff geditoff geditoff!"
       The female struggled wildly, but try as she might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at the rate she could manage. After a bit more struggling, she stopped and looked around.

"Where are you, anyways? Where should I look when talking to you?"
       The pink Lucain seemed to be talking to the air.

"Not 'the air'- I'm talking to you! And I have a name, y'know- it's Fate."
       Ah...yeah. I'm...everywhere? So go ahead and talk freely. And it's a pleasure to meet you, Fate.

"Yeah, well. When can I go home?!?"
       You can go home just as soon as you get that clocktower off.

"Oh brilliant, this thing isn't ever getting off. I'm stuck!" The Lucain thought for a second. "What if I died?"
       ...What?

"If I died. Then would I go home?"
       Um...I guess.
       Fate pulled out metal object, and took aim of her heart. without even flinching. Then, with the kiss of her knife, her eyes were shut forever...
       At least in that world.

"Gah! Homygawdwhere...am I?"
       The lightly bemused Clarity, Fate's 'sister', laughed.
"Where do you think you are? You're in our room, of course."
       "Thank goodness! Oh my..." She took a deep breath. "Would you listen if I told you a completely insane but completely true story?"
       "I love you...but not that much!" chuckled Clarity. "Why don't we get some breakfast?"
       "Alright...what is for breakfast, anyways?"
       Clarity paused. "Why don't I go check?" She bounded off, leaving Fate alone in the room. She sighed, then seemed to notice something.

"I can still hear you, y'know," she muttered.
       Well, you're one of the few who can! Feel grateful.

"I think I'd rather not go to the looney bin?"
       Then don't tell anyone.

"I won't tell anyone, mark my words!"
       "You won't tell anyone what?" Clarity had returned.

"Oh, it's nothing! So, what's for breakfast?"
       "Waffles! Better hurry, they're going fast!" Clarity bounded off, leaving a desperate Fate behind.

"Hey, wait up!" she protested, and ran as fast as she could. Waffles, in this cave, were a rare treat.

•••••
Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam,
Et lingua eius loquetur indicium.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem,
Quoniqm kum probates fuerit accipient coronam vitae!

Kyrie~, fons bonitatis.
Kyrie~, ignis divine, eleison.

O quam sancta, quam serena,
Quam benigma, quam amoena esse Virgo creditur.
O quam sancta, quam serena,
Quam benigma, quam amoena,
O castitatis lilium!
Ketsala
Beginner
Beginner
Pets | Items
Keystones: 63
Donate

Postby Freezair » 02/26/2009 10:56 PM

Yes, I'm wondering if we can toy with the phrases a little too. Not much; I just want to change their verb tense to make them fit in a bit better with my story.

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Postby QuirkyRabbit » 02/26/2009 11:28 PM

Ay. Ess. Dee. Eff.

Must enter! :D Even though I know my writing's not super good, but I must try... *needs the extra KS*
QuirkyRabbit
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Celebrity Pet Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 138
Donate

Postby HunnyBun » 02/26/2009 11:48 PM

My First Story
False Bedtime Story

This story has been past down threw the generations of Evelon. No one knows where it had originated, and yet it still lives on. When it was first originally was told, a great bonfire would be built and smoke symbols would illustrate it and give it life.
  The story starts with a lone Female Desert Runner Lucain, she stood on a rock formation looking over the Wilt 'No Desert. The sun was just rising up, and the Deserts warm wind flew through her beautiful fur. I don't pretend to understand it but. . .there were whales in the sky. But the Lucain only smiled and took it as a sign to go. Jumping from rock to rock she mande her way to the warm sand below
  She was off to the Holy City, the place were legends were made. But the whales bellowed loudly, as if to say:
  "Don't even try. Your colors will fall right off."
  But the Lucain didn't listen, and started to run in the direction of the Holy City anyway. She ran fast, knowing the sands would soon heat up from the rising sun.
  Soon her paws fell on cool dirt, and the grass tickled her toes. The city lie ahead, and she smiled as she approached the gates. She was embraced by many sites, smells, and sounds. The first thing she laid eyes on was a group of Evelonies trying to pull a clock tower with ropes. Try as they might, the clock tower just wouldn't move at this rate. Shaking her head, the Lucain ignored the situation and walked towards City Hall. She would have to represent herself to the council to earn a license. This would then allow her to open a shop and start a business.
  The council was a tough group to approve, and many have failed in doing so. But the young Lucain knew she could achieve the license. She just had to, or else there would be nothing left of her life. As she approached the entrance she saw a younger pup being kicked out. It seemed he had failed and was thrown out of the building. Her ears fell back against her neck, she feared this might happen to her. But she just raised her head up proudly, she knew she could do this.
  Walking into the room where the council all sat, she looked up to them. They sat above her in a circle, their eyes beard down on her. She knew they weren't patient and prepared to start immediately. What the council wanted her to show them her pelt. If her pelt was pretty enough, then she would be considered to have a license. She started off by showing them her right side, which seemed to glow as the sunlight hit it. This gave her confidence, and she knew she could do this. She spun around, showing them her left side.
  The council talked amongst themselves, discussing about what they had seen. They turned back to her, looking at her they shook their head.
  "We love you. . .but not that much." The Council Leader replied.
  The Lucains face melted, her enthusiasm disappeared. Soon she was sitting outside City Hall, her bottom stinging and her eyes filled with tears. She had failed, now what was she to do? She slowly stood up, there was nothing left. She shook her head, the tears dripping everywhere. Why did she ever think she could actually do it? She was stupid to think so. She walked off, there was nothing left but to return to the Wilt 'No Desert. Before leaving through the gates once again, she looked back.
  "There's a freeze warming - I mean, freeze warning in effect." Warned the weather man.
  She ignored his warnings, and headed back the way she had came. Passing the walls of the city, passing the cool dirt that separated the desert from the main land. Until she came back to the rocks where she and started. The whales had long since left, and she was there alone. The night sky shown above her. She decided there was nothing to her life. Looking up into the stary night, she silently said her last vows. With the kiss of a knife, her eyes shut forever.
  "That's it? that was the worst bed time story ever!" Yelled the young Lucain.
  He threw his stuffed Kree Doll at his father. Then pulled his sheets over his head.
  "No, no. . ." His father tried to defend.
  Slumping over, he walked out of the boy's room. Slowly turning off the lite, he sighed and closed the door.

We're waiting every night
To finally roam and invite
Newcomers to play with us
For many years we've been all alone

.: ~Pen~ :.
.: ~Sales~ :.
.: ~Breeder~ :.
.: ~Imp. Doc~ :.
HunnyBun
Well-Traveled Explorer
Well-Traveled Explorer
Pets | Items