This board is for any questions you may need answered. Please make sure to read the rules first, just so you don't end up asking something that's plainly stated. =3

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Help!

Is this an acceptable Palette Potion baby?

Postby ToxicShadow » 05/14/2015 2:53 PM

This Fairy is what I am hoping to obtain.

Image Image
And these are the parents that I took colors, species, parts, and markings from. What I wonder, though, even if everything matches up with the parents, is it still pushing it too much by using too much red?

My mind went, okay, I can invert the dad's marking color to be the base color (which is a breeding thing) and I can use the red from his horns and whiskers for her wings since he doesn't have proper wing color. Then I used his nearly invisible black Spotted marking for her Celestial and Chaos color, only I also used it on her wings (though I suppose the mother also, technically, has a bit of black on her wings from the regularly colored outline). Plus, I used the red again for Skulls.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Re: Is this an acceptable Palette Potion baby?

Postby Kyrit » 05/14/2015 3:42 PM

My concern with considering this a palette potion child is the amount of black in the design. The only reason Dvasia has black is because for Fairy Paragon and Butterfly wings the ridge is almost always black. There are a few exceptions where we've done different colors (I somehow managed to make rainbow), but the lack of shading for those parts of the file severely limits Fairies and Butterfly wings. So counting out the black that Dvasia has due to wing and head type, all body and marking color. Granted, that isn't impossible (One of Zelosis's daughters for example is almost a gender swap of himself), but it's really rare that we pick colors from only one parent.

I don't think it would be impossible to consider this one a possibility from breeding, so personally I'd say it could squeeze by. You'd be able to get a more believeable child by coloring the skulls white though (and you'd provide yourself a bit more white to go with the wing spots).

Obviously my say isn't the final word and the rest of the staff is free to weigh in, but everyone on the staff has made a child at least once or twice that probably took a lot of color from something that barely showed up on parents. For example, this boy took a lot of color from his father's wingblades and more recently. And that's using just an example of my own so I don't step on anyone's toes. XD
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 05/14/2015 3:58 PM

I agree with Kyrit it's a bit borderlineish, but. At the end of the day, Palette babies are meant to be what YOU want from your parents. And like Kyrit said, it's happened that we heavily took after only one parent, whatever the reasons may be for it. So I mean, I think there is a bit too much black, but at the same time; Kyrit is again right by saying that sometimes we stretch it a bit. Sometimes it's for creative liberty, or just because that color works very well with the other given colors.

I think, if this is what you want, I would let it pass. Such is the purpose of the Palette, so I'm good with it if this is a baby you want. You're stretching the colors a bit, but as long as they're justified, I'm okay with it.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Redd » 05/14/2015 7:27 PM

Honestly, yeah I don't have an issue with it, as while I personally do not consider the wing and head edges as a valid color, I've always considered it to be part of the lineart (watch me get in trouble for saying this) the black could have come from the dad's spotted.
I always break down every breedable into their basic colors, when I'm breeding and if the black or red exists somewhere, then I'm okay for using it. I generally kind of try to make sure the colors are in balance with how they appeared on their parents for the most part but yeah. Palette potion babies have already stretched these rules in the past and gone unspoken.

Admittedly there is the small issue of all her colours being from one parent but I've seen this in 90% of Palette potion babies so far, so nothing to worry about and yeah it happens frequently from regular breedings anyway.

I don't deny abusing that quirk if I'm struggling with colors from time to time either 8'|

Stare in the darkness
Are you scared? Are you free?
I can be fair or a monster
Tell me now, which one do you need?

I can feel teeth tear into me
Rip me to pieces, rock me to sleep
I can feel eyes staring at me
Getting uneasy, ready to feed
I can feel teeth

Redd
Retired Staff
Retired Staff