This board is for any questions you may need answered. Please make sure to read the rules first, just so you don't end up asking something that's plainly stated. =3

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Help!

Tiger Scintilla and Kuhnas with similar alterations...

Postby Freezair » 11/01/2015 5:05 AM

OK. This is going to be a slightly complicated question, so bear with me. And it's possible it might not have a simple answer.

I know we have a rule that prevents the copying of custom designs. I.E., you can't base your Lucain design on someone else's Lucain. My question is, how "custom" are Tiger Scintilla Kuhnas considered? Can a person lay claim to certain Tiger Scintilla alterations done to a certain Kuhna species, and does it matter what those alterations are? Especially in the case of additions?

Obviously, some alterations are super simple, such as just taking wings off a Common Kuhna. But, for example, I own an Iridescent Kuhna who has two sets of Angel wings added that match her body. Do I now "own" that alteration set in the same way I would a custom design? Am I the only one who can now own an Iridescent Kuhna with two set of Angel wings in the iridescent pattern? Or is this OK because the wing pattern is "suggested" by the Kuhna's natural coloration? As a different example, I have a Scintilla submitted where I'm getting a Headless Kuhna changed to have Autumn Oak wings. All of the colors I'm having put on the wings come from his body. Could someone else have a Headless Kuhna with Autumn Oak wings using the exact same colors in the same places, since they're just taken from the Kuhna's body? However, I'm also giving the same Kuhna bright yellow hair, which isn't a color found on the Kuhna's body. Do I more solidly "own" that Kuhna, since bringing in that outside color was more my idea and wasn't suggested by anything in the shop?  

Basically, I'm asking what the limits are on making Scintilla Kuhnas with alterations similar to those of an altered Kuhna owned by another user. I ask because I saw some Scintilla edits I thought were really pretty, but I don't know what the etiquette/rules are on getting similar edits and wouldn't want to steal someone else's design. Plus, if we talk about it now, we can establish some ground rules before we need to. Ounce of prevention and all. :P

I'm so cool (too bad I'm a loser).
I'm so smart (too bad I can't get anything figured out)!
I'm so brave (too bad I'm a baby).
I'm so fly
That's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time!

I'm so green (it's really amazing).
I'm so clean (too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me)!
I'm so sane (It's driving me crazy)!
It's so strange
I can't believe I'm falling for the first time!

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 80
Donate

Re: Tiger Scintilla and Kuhnas with similar alterations...

Postby Silverin » 11/02/2015 12:06 PM

I would say if its not a bought or bred custom and is just an altered gen/original kuhna or kundra then it would not fall under those rules. Since no one really owns the design and for all perposes they are not actually really considered full on customs. They are just considered altered kuhnas/kundras and retain their genetics from their previous form.

We should as staff probably look in to setting up rules around things like this but have yet to. I would wait on other staff member opinions on this. However the above is my personal opinion.

PLEASE DON'T GIFT ME. I AM NOT INTERESTED.
There are better folks to gift.
:::Breeders:::Rental:::WishList:::
Avi is from The Worst Monster Of Them All animation on youtube
Silverin
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2762
Donate

Postby Thunder » 11/02/2015 12:48 PM

I wouldn't consider it owning the design either. The Scintilla alterations are available for everyone in the Evelon public, whereas something like a custom Lucain is more like a private commission.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Freezair » 11/02/2015 3:21 PM

Hmm, OK. Good to know. However, I think I might wait until the ground rules get established for what can and cannot be protected with regards to Scintillas... thanks!

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Critters -Ramblings - Single & Looking -Majikul Wishlist -This Stuff's Important

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxicShadow » 11/03/2015 4:09 AM

After bringing this up with other staff, it has been decided that there wont be any restrictions when it comes to Scintilla alternations. The purpose of the Scintilla is to give users more variety and options when it comes to their Kuhnas, to give them the opportunity to make it so that their Kuhna is a little different than the majority of others, but they aren't customs. They wont have the same rules as customs.

ImageImageImageImage
ToxicShadow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2824
Donate

Postby Freezair » 11/03/2015 4:14 AM

Alright! Thank you!

I'm so fly

It's so strange

Freezair
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate