This board is for any questions you may need answered. Please make sure to read the rules first, just so you don't end up asking something that's plainly stated. =3

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Help!

Kuhna Genetics Question?

Postby Kitsumi » 01/01/2016 8:38 PM

I keep trying to figure this out, but I'm not sure if I properly understand Kuhna genetics. Currently, I'm trying to figure out a pairing for a breeding, and I'm not sure if I have this right? This is what I thought would be the possible outcomes, but could someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Male Sorrow (Sulk/Spectra genes) x Female Bifrost (Carol/Spectra genes)
Carol/Sulk: Coal
Sulk/Spectra: Sorrow, Soundscape
Carol/Spectra: Bifrost, Brightlights

like sunlight shining through the leaves
we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Pen :: Wishlist ::Breeders :: Docs :: Rentals :: Journal
Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 7114
Donate

Re: Kuhna Genetics Question?

Postby Thunder » 01/03/2016 1:51 AM

I tested this in the breeding roller and those seem to be right. In addition to those, though, you can also get Color Kuhnas (Spectra x Spectra) ovo

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/03/2016 9:49 PM

Ah, okay, thank you! I wasn't sure if the recessive genes crossed each other at all, so that's good to know!

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 01/03/2016 10:53 PM

Kuhna genes work according to the same concept as a Punnett Square. So this means, in this case, you would have the following:

CArol           spectra

SUlk                 SUCA            SUsp

SPectra            SPCA             SPsp

So you get Carol x Sulkuhna; Sulkuhna x Spectra
And then Carol x Spectra; Spectra x Spectra

Mother is the recessive genes, Father is the dominant genes; from there, you cross them like with a Punnett Square and can find the results from there.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Thunder » 01/05/2016 1:24 PM

...I never realized. It was a Punnett square. Whaaaat. That's so cool homg :'''|

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 01/05/2016 1:27 PM

xD Lmao waifu. 8 years on here and you never realized? How did you think it worked, bruh.

But lol yeah, Kuhnas breed a la Punnett Square. xD S'why their results basically never change apart from a RARE or the likes.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Kitsumi » 01/05/2016 2:47 PM

Eep! Sorry I didn't thank you for the explanation earlier Omni - I read it when I was on my phone, and then forgot to reply when I got home. But that helps a bunch, and it will definitely help with all my future Kuhna breeding! Thank you very much!

we are beautiful
enlightened
soul

Kitsumi
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/18/2016 8:22 AM

Posting here as it's on the same lines:

If one of the parents is an original kuhna, they are listed as only having one set of genes, correct?

If one is to put that into a punnet square with a bred generation kuhna, that either means that there are only two possible outcome combinations, or that two of the options are the pure forms of the genes held by the bred kuhna, right?

So would that mean that any breeding occurring between a bred generation kuhna and an original kuhna has the possibility of producing the 'pure' forms of the bred kuhna's genes, or will the genes of the original kuhna be duplicated to ensure there is always a mix?
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 02/18/2016 9:52 AM

Breeding certain Originals (some special event Kuhnas are originals but have special genes) will result in that parent having only that one gene. So yes, it gets 'duplicated'. Sulkuhna would be SUsu, Spectra would be SPEspe; so on and so forth.

So breeding says, Sulkuhna x Lunar results in SUsu x SUcom as the pairing. So you will get babies from SUSU (such as Heartless), SUcom (Lunar, Blood). Admittedly a bit of a bad example since we're going Sulkuhna everywhere in this example, but yeah.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/18/2016 12:31 PM

Cheers Omni :)

As that is the case, I have another query concerning the kuhna pairing list. If one was to breed a Hydrokuhna kit (as I did from my aquaberry x headless breeding) their genes would most likely be hydro x trikuhna, correct?

Would this therefore mean that it is possible to get the original flavours of kuhna by breeding them with certain other original flavours (without using an elder or ancient), or was this only possible because thr hydrokuhna is always dominant?

Also, as the hydrokuhna is not included on the Kuhna Pairings list, please correct me if I am wrong about the kit's genetics
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 02/18/2016 1:32 PM

I'm assuming that by 'original flavor', you're referring to 'pures' or purebreeds; such as the Common, Sulk, etc.

Breeding Aquaberry and Headless gives you HYbe x TRtr (Headless is considered pure Trikuhna). Therefore, you will get Hydro x Trikuhna results, as well as Berry x Trikuhna babies. I forget what the latter results into, But Hydro x Trik is Nightwind.

Every litter has odds of producing pure babies. In your case, you could also get simple Hydro, Berry and/or Trikuhnas, as the basic genes are there. That being said, your pures from that litter don't 'carry' special genes further to being bred. They are still the same as their Original counterpart in terms of genetics. A Hydro with Trikuhna genes is a Nightwind Kuhna, and therefore its own species.

There are 3 sets of genes that are dominant: Hydro, Carol, and Ancient. Keep in mind the genders of the parents matter; Berry x Trikuhna does not give the same babies as Trikuhna x Berry, and vice versa. Male/father genetics are dominant to the female/mother genetics.

The three dominant genes ignore this rule. Even if your female is Hydro, your babies will still have dominant Hydro genes, since Hydro is dominant and ignores the gender rule.

Also note that Ancients are special as they all carry a recessive normal gene. For example, the Red Ancient Kuhna carries Ancient as dominant and Common as recessive. The only exceptions in terms of Ancients are the bred Tyrune, Reiz, and Preitor. Since they are the results of Ancient x Ancient, they are pure Ancients only in terms of genetics.

Does it all make sense?
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/18/2016 1:41 PM

It does indeed xD

Many thanks for the explanation :D

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 02/18/2016 3:32 PM

Lol, glad to hear it. Sometimes people find it a little overwhelming, so.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate