This board is for any questions you may need answered. Please make sure to read the rules first, just so you don't end up asking something that's plainly stated. =3

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Help!

Add-Ons -- How to

Postby Middy » 06/26/2016 1:53 AM

So I have been trying to figure out how to make the lineart on add-ons look good, and not so out of place. Sadly, I have not found a good way to do this, from brush size, to different techniques, it never looks good. Is there anyone who can supply some sort of guide for Photoshop? I want to make it blend in with the lineart as best as possible, especially on Paragon. Thanks.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 06/26/2016 1:58 AM

The best advice I can give is to upscale your image (I work anywhere from 200-400% of what the official site images end up). Once you're done drawing/shading, resize it and drag it on to a properly sized image. You don't want to use the lineart you upsized and then downsized since that'll lead to quality loss, but the add-on itself should likely look more similar to the official art. Most of the newer pet images are actually really large when we're working on them (The Lakundra is probably one of the largest, at 1709 x 1410 pixels).
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1590
Donate

Re: Add-Ons -- How to

Postby Middy » 06/26/2016 2:01 AM

Excellent, so what is the best type of brush to use when drawing it at a larger size? I will try to mess around more with this tomorrow. Any advice at all is great.
Middy
Well-Traveled Trainer
Well-Traveled Trainer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 06/26/2016 2:05 AM

It depends on the size of the canvas for sure, but I think I tend to use somewhere around a 5-9 pixel sized normal/circular brush at 100% hardness
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1590
Donate

Postby Redd » 06/26/2016 2:06 AM

Personally, for lineart, on Paragon/Lucain I use a 1px brush, draw, and then erase it back when it's looking a little thick in places. But that probably doesn't work for everyone, so yeah give upscaling a go.
Also a little tip Baal gave me once is to lower the lineart opacity down to about 70-90% depending on what looks best to help it blend.

Stare in the darkness
Are you scared? Are you free?
I can be fair or a monster
Tell me now, which one do you need?

I can feel teeth tear into me
Rip me to pieces, rock me to sleep
I can feel eyes staring at me
Getting uneasy, ready to feed
I can feel teeth

Redd
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 892
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 06/26/2016 11:06 AM

Something I like to do also is, once I make the lineart in black, I color / gradient overlay it (or transparency lock it; that little checkerboard square, and then just go over it in another color) in a dark dark version of the add-on's color. So if it's a blue collar, I make it have a dark dark blue outline, possibly becoming a lighter dark blue where the light is hitting the collar. It just makes it look not so cardboard cut-out and a little more three dimensional. ovo

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...