This board is for any questions you may need answered. Please make sure to read the rules first, just so you don't end up asking something that's plainly stated. =3

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Help!

Kuhna Breeding Questions

Postby Jaykobell » 07/23/2017 2:58 AM

Okay, so this all might sound a lil funny buuuuuut I wanna ask before I actually do the breedings I wanna do ololol.

So, I'm working on a few different chapters of one specific story, and I wanna do a few breedings to advance the story and get characters I need.

Here's the thing though... and where my questions come in.

1. When breeding standard pairs (i.e. Common x Sulkuhna) can you... make specific requests? Such as, "I don't care how many kits or what species, as long as I get a Lunar Kuhna"? If it's within reason, can you ask for something like that?

I'm asking because I have two breedings where I'm going to use a Skimp Tonic to get just the one singular unique Kuhna out of it; one pair is Stealth x Wisp, and I'd like an Infantry out of it. I can't tell you the other one because I need another pair before that lmao but same concept.

Is that okay to ask? Like... since Kuhna breedings are so set in stone? i.e. the outcomes are always basically the same. I was thinking that at worst, I could compromise by using a Palette Potion, but that's kind of a loss of money on my end, since neither party (myself or staff) is doing anything special (i.e. a unique baby)...??

Which is why I'm asking, can you ask for something like that if it's reasonable? Like if someone asked for a full litter of 5 Tyrune Kuhnas without a Generative Draught I'd say that's pretty ridiculous; but if you're using a Skimp Tonic for just one baby and you'd like to specify which Kuhna result you want?

2. Here comes the one where... okay, so I want to breed an Elder and... something else; which doesn't matter since it's gonna be random and the results are what matters lol.

But like, here's the thing. It's set in the story that those two parents have four children. So now. I was thinking of using a Generative Draught and ask for a guaranteed 4 babies. I don't want the full maximum of five; but I don't want to not use the Gen Draught and risk getting a litter of 3 or less. I'd also like for all 4 babies to be all different species; which I think is like... 99% of Elder breedings lol? Still.

Would that be fair to do? Using the Gen Draught and specifying I want a litter of 4 (not 5, I lit can't stress that enough lmao)? And asking for all the babies to be different species just in case the roller wants to spite me and roll twins lol?

Long post with stupidly specific situations, I'm sorry. I just don't want to write up a breeding and not end up with what I need, especially for the Elder one, where I need all 4 siblings, you feel me.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Re: Kuhna Breeding Questions

Postby Thunder » 07/26/2017 2:09 PM

I already told you my own thoughts but Imma post them here so other people can see too :U

1. I've always felt like the Skimp Tonic was kinda useless because in the vast majority of situations, people want more babies. So I like your suggestion because I think it would actually make the Skimp Tonic much more useful and appealing to buy if, just for Kuhna breedings with predetermined results (so no Elders cause that just contradicts the point of Elders), you could specify what species of baby you want as a trade off for receiving fewer babies. I don't believe we currently have a way of doing this through potions, so imo it'd be a cool new feature. The closest thing we have is the Fortuity Potion, but that doesn't actually let you specify the babies' species, it only lets you pick a gene from which you could still end up with multiple species that you might not want/need.

So yeah, tl;dr I think giving the Skimp Tonic the ability to specify a Kuhna baby species would make the Skimp Tonic much more useful, or alternatively, we could make a new potion that allows for that if we don't want to append it onto the Skimp Tonic.

2. I personally wouldn't have a problem with this? Since the Generative Draught already allows you to ask for the maximum amount of babies, I don't see why a user couldn't use it to ask for a little less than the maximum if that's what they really want. The only complication would be figuring out at what point the effect overlaps with the Skimp Tonic, but to easily solve that, we could just combine the Skimp Tonic and Generative Draught into one potion that lets users specify any number of babies (within the range of babies you can get, so you couldn't ask for like 6 Lucain babies). That way anyone who wants ALL the babies can use the potion and just say they want the max number, while anyone who doesn't want so many can use the same potion to say they want x amount.

I also personally wouldn't mind rerolling an Elder litter in the slim chance that there are twins, since as you said, the vast majority of Elder breedings give you all different babies anyway. Though I can't speak for how anyone else feels about doing that xD;

EDIT: Just in case it's unclear, these are only my own thoughts and right now nothing is guaranteed to change/happen. As of right now I'm don't know how the other mods feel about the questions or the things I personally proposed in this post.

"If everyone is one, none will be afraid."

Pen~Breeders~Trades~Wishes~Rentals
Thunder
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 877
Donate

Postby Jaykobell » 07/26/2017 3:03 PM

olol ur precious

1. I'm gonna repeat here just cause, for discussion purposes: I'd be down for the Skimp Tonic to let you pick a species, but I'd be very much against coming up with a potion that accomplishes that effect.

Kuhna breedings are always done for the sake of obtaining ABCD results to begin with. Sulk x Common will always result in Lunar & Blood, no matter which way you cut it. So whether or not you want one of the other specifically, there's no extra effort that needs to be done by the staff. Whether someone wants a Lunar or a Blood, either way, you just need to get the code and you're done. There's no custom babies or extra art time that needs to be done on part of the staff. So paying KS for that? Seems a little... wow, abusive comes to mind, that is not the right word. Pointless?

The Palette Potion is good for the other breedings because if you want to start describing your Lucain baby, the staff has to sit down and make it. Kuhnas though... they're already pre-made. So?

2. Oh, let me clarify just in case that wasn't clear: I'm not using a Skimp Tonic for the Elder breeding. xD Just the Gen Draught. I just want to make sure I can use the Gen Draught to get 4 babies rather than 5, or if I'm FORCED to get 5 if I use it.

I also can't see mixing the two, since they can be used with all the other breedables. So those of us (or just me?? lmao??? who else wants just like 1 baby from their pairings i feel so alone) who want just 1 baby will be stuck buying like... 1 potion a YEAR for just that singular baby; since, right now, you can only get 1 Gen Draught/year.

TBH I think they're fine separate, since I don't see anyone really using the Skimp Tonics as is, but EVERYONE wants 1024802482 Gen Draughts.

As for re-rolling an Elder litter, I didn't mind it either. xD TBH I always kind of tried to give as much diversity as I could in Kuhna litters so I'd reroll at times; but usually I'd just make it roll a few times before settling on a litter. Cause like....... who wants a litter of 4 Preluhnas....... you feel me
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 07/28/2017 12:23 PM

Sorry to say, I'm popping in without a full reply for now. =) I did have a reply already mapped out based on basics of the potions that I hadn't gotten a chance to post yet due to work, but I feel like there will need to be at least brief staff discussion before I give a for sure answer now.

I promise to get back to this topic with an answer as soon as possible.
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate

Postby Kyrit » 08/08/2017 11:26 AM

Yes, hello, I am back. I meant to get to this Friday as I had told you I would, but then I got too wrapped up in the other things I was working on. xD;

Anyways, as I said on Facebook, I'll confirm on here for the rest of users to know, it's been approved that you can ask for just 4 kits from a generative draught. This of course only works for Kuhnas, since the only other thing you'd be able to do for the other three breedables is ask for more than the max, which is no-no, but for the sake of Kuhna breedings we've approved asking for one less kit, yeah. As for twins from an Elder pair, you don't have to worry about that. Staff all agreed that they'd reroll if twins came up in an Elder pair anyways. XD Toxic did some test rolls and only 6 instances of twins (one of them actually being triplets) came up out of 45 rolls. So pretty unlikely anyways, but yeah. Staff would reroll.

Now on to the first question, which is the main reason we had to discuss before there could be an answer.

You can't use the skimp tonic to ask for a certain kit, as the functionality is that it's just there for people that do want the smallest litter. The reason the potion is as cheap as it is and is widely available is because we don't foresee  many people wanting to use it, but it is there if people would like to use it to facilitate small litters. While it is true that it doesn't cause staff any extra work, it's wanting something different than standard. That's what the potion's price is for; wanting something different.

The same goes for wanting to ask for something specific out of your litters. Usually there's the palette potion, yeah, but that gives a fully chosen pet in the other species, and really the price for the potion is a good bit for asking to choose in a Kuhna litter (which is generally limited to a few different species to begin with). Instead we're going to be introducing another potion (hopefully the Friday after I get back; I meant to get the potion made and ready this past Friday but got too busy) that is a fair bit cheaper that will be your go to for Kuhnas and also requesting some minor choices in the other breedables (which has been a requested potion many times).

So if you're in a rush, I'd say for now use a palette potion, but yeah. I'm going to try to whip out that other potion the Friday after I get back from Australia (the 18th).
// Pen || Wishes || Trades || Breeders \\
Kyrit
Elie's Trashcan
Elie's Trashcan
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1585
Donate