With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Mental State (M)(E) FINISHED

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:32 AM

ImageSera slithered through the sand, barely feeling the heat on his scales. Though the sun was scorching, and the ground hot, he could feel no pain. He yammered away at the companion by his side, a translucent image of another Carpetfang. Unbeknownst to him, he was alone, a victim of a cruel torment that left him mentally broken and unaware that his "companion" was merely a figment of his own imagination. Perhaps it was better that way. He ploughed on regardless, babbling nonsense as he went, his "companion" nodding thoughtfully but never saying a word.
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Re: Mental State

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:40 AM

As the sun rose higher, he crunched his way through a mouthful of sand and ants, and remarked on how tasty they were. It came out as a cacophony of rasps and wails, as he inadvertently dropped half the sand, dribbling it down his chin. His eyes stared at nothing, his body twitched and rocked, anxious to move. His "companion" gave a snort, and set about preening it's scales with the tip of it's tail. Sera took this to be an invitation to lunch, and replied with a gracious "thank you, but I'm already eating"... More wails, more sprayed and dribbled sand, as the sun rose hotter, and the Carpetfang chowed down on sand and ants...
"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Mental State [HUNT]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:47 AM

Sometimes he could almost think clearly, and at those times he remarked to himself at how ethereal and intangible his "companion" seemed, how odd that it never spoke. But those times had been rare at the beginning, and were now few, fleeting and far between. His hallucinations were more frequent now too, and the daydreams far more lucid. He often spent days lost in himself, with sheer luck being the sole reinforcement behind his eating and drinking. His "companion" watched with a lazy eye, as the visions took hold, and Sera was once again lost to the illusion...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Mental State [HUNT]

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:52 AM

He was at a mansion being served champagne in a bowl by an attractive Serraptor with red lipstick and fishnet tights. They laughed, and chatted, and promised to meet the following night. He took her to dinner, to lunch, to bed. Then the scene shifted. Her lying on the floor, neck at an impossible angle, limp and lifeless. A figure in a bowler hat and suit by the window, promising he would make life hell from now on. A screeching sound and flashing lights, and then silence, and a deep chill. His "companion" leered as Sera began to shiver and his teeth chatter in the baking heat of the desert sun...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: Mental State [HUNT] M

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:59 AM

The visions could last for days, weeks, months. The sights, sounds, smells, tastes and textures he experienced were as real to him as any waking moment, and sometimes more so. He babbled incoherently as his mind took him on a confused jumble of scenes and incidents. He was forced to watch, to hear, to smell, over and over again. In his dysfunctional state of mind, he couldn't know what was a memory and what was imagined. His "companion" gave a silent yawn and settled down to rest beside Sera, bored and lonely. Even in the depths of his hallucinations, Sera was aware of his "companion", thought powerless to acknowledge it. The day continued on.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 11:35 AM

Another dream, another vision, another time. He was alone by a lake, watching a great white tengumi preen itself out on the water, the ripples causing little waves where he sat, forlorn and forgotten. He was silent as he watched, a great aching sorrow building in his heart until the tears ran down his snout and dripped into the glistening pool. The moonlight cast shadows where he sat, concealed by a rock, so he had no fear of being discovered. The tengumi took flight, and he watched with a heavy heart, painfully aware that even those who did not know he was there abandoned him to his solitude.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 11:43 AM

His "companion" watched as he cried, tears evaporating into dust even as they fell. Although he was intangible, and invisible to most, he was as conscious as could be. Perhaps he was Sera's own consciousness, detached through sorcery and powerless to aid or prevent the visions that controlled Sera. Perhaps he was just a figment of Sera's imagination, given life through magic and conviction of his presence. Whichever it was, he was invisible to all but Sera, and unable to communicate with him due to Sera's condition. He could only watch, and wait for Sera to return to his normal semi-comprehensive state.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:34 PM

Another scene, another day. Sera was eating fish with a temple Fellox, but there were traps along the table. Poison sacks from pufferfish, Tails from scorpions, exotic dishes containing Belladonna and Dog violets to 'spice' things up a bit. Sera chuckled to himself gleefully. The poison wouldn't affect him, he knew. He would watch and eat until the Fellox got it wrong in their little guessing-game. He snickered to himself. Hadn't the Fellox heard the saying "Never play Buffet roulette with a Carpetfang"?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:40 PM

A light at a window. A female Quicksylph, calling his name. A Penticorn breathing fire in a murderous rage. A bloody battle for survival. Lying in his own blood, screaming as he saw the quicksylph burned to death. Sera was afraid, it was all so real... but how had he gotten there? What had led to the battle? Try as he might, he could not recall. A niggling in his brain told him something wasn't right, but what? A memory flashed by: A hot sandy desert full of glaring sunlight, an intangible and translucent carpetfang watching him... The battle scene shattered, and Sera fell into the dark yawning hole that was left...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 12:46 PM

Sera opened his eyes. There was the desert, as dry and sandy as he remembered. He started to jitter and mumble to himself, the nightmares he had witnessed long forgotten. His "companion" watched lazily with the apathy of one who can do naught but observe, as Sera began to eat again, the hot sand seeming to have no effect on the Carpetfang's appetite. Sera, still dribbling sand from a half-open mouth, slithered off into the sun, his "companion" floating alongside him, still silent. Nothing else stirred, not even a breath of wind. The desert was silent, and still, and waiting.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/04/2012 5:35 PM

Sera blinked twice, opened his mouth, and hissed. He couldn't be sure, but he thought that the figure in front of him was... what on earth was it doing? It seemed to be writhing and contorting in some sort of pain... All of a sudden, it was Sera himself who was in pain, but he was in pain watching himself writhing in pain... It was too much for his fragile mind, and not for the first time, he passed out. His "companion" closed his eyes and faded out of existence, familiar with the process and sure in the knowledge that he would re-appear as soon as Sera regained conciousness. The sun rose higher...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/06/2012 10:22 AM

Sera twitched, and his eyelids opened slowly. He felt even more groggy than usual... That last round at the pub had been a killer. He stumbled down the alley where the Rexxel were skulking, obviously waiting for someone to feed them. It wouldn't be him, he thought, remembering the night before... he had lost everything. The money, the house, even his wife... He groaned inwardly. How was he going to explain this one to his wife? He lost his grip on the wall, and tumbled into a pile of garbage... "things couldn't get worse than this", he thought, before passing out again...

Sera's companion faded back into existence, and looked at Sera, who appeared to be snoozing more peacefully in the desert sun. He looked lazily around at the sand, snorted in distaste, and got on with cleaning his scales again...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/06/2012 10:31 AM

Sera woke. It was one of his rare moments of perfect comprehension of the world around him, and he clung to it desperately. He didn't want to go back to the visions, the pain, the nightmares. He hissed at his "companion", begging, pleading for help, acknowledging that his "companion" wasn't 'real' in a physical sense, but he was all that he had. He began to cry as he felt the clarity slip away, as he felt the vision take over again. His "companion" neglected to cease his cleaning, but couldn't stop the intangible tears running down his snout. He felt wretched as there was nothing he could do, nothing he could say to help... he couldn't even get help, as Sera was the only one who could see him... The day wore on, and the last of Sera's tears stopped, and he was gone again, lost in visions...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/06/2012 10:38 AM

Sera looked down at the plate in front of him, and turned away in disgust. He could smell the poison, and it made him gag. He wondered what bright spark had had the idea of trying to bump a Carpetfang off by poisoning him... didn't everyone know he was immune to poison? He toyed with the idea of asking his host to eat the dish instead, but decided against it. He wasn't that cruel. After all, one careful squirt when his host was talking to him would be enough, and his poison would ensure a quick and excruciating death. He smirked, and picked up his fork. His stomach would make him pay later, but he couldn't wait to see the look on his host's face...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 03/06/2012 11:28 AM

As Sera sat chomping on mouthfuls of sand, his "companion" looked at the sky, and didn't like what he saw. Nothing but blinding sun. He hissed soundlessly in distaste, and turned away. The sunlight always made him feel less real, less tangible... less alive, and more... not dead exactly, but just... not there... He hissed soundlessly again, and watched as Sera unearthed a crystal the size of his head, and proceeded to swallow it whole, mumbling something about it being a juicy rat or pheasant or something... It was just as well he didn't need to eat, he reflected, as it wouldn't have gone down well anyway, what with the delicate constitution he had decided he had...

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Next