The slums are a rundown, old heap of a town tucked deep in the jungles, with townsfolk consisting mostly of poachers, black marketeers, thieves, and fugitives. While the ideal tourist spot, some travel to the Slums to make use of the black markets. (+2 Defense, +2 Speed)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to The Slums

Re: The Alpha Of The Omegas (E)(P)

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/25/2016 11:04 AM

Cassus tidied the bedding pile as Borealis dug through their jars, quickly realising she didn't know much about their contents. She sighed, before turning to him and frowning as she spoke; "I'm not sure which jar is which; I know we have some food in one of them, but..."

Cassus quickly realised what she was saying, and pointed out the jar which had stew in it. They ate it cold, not wanting to start a fire when they were to leave the den, before clearing up and grabbing the bag and the jars they wanted to fill.

Ebele snorted, and made to follow them out of the door.

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 2056
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/25/2016 5:20 PM

"Not this time, girl" Cassus said, as he shooed Ebele back into the den. "You're going to guard this place, to make sure nobody finds it." Ebele looked him in the eyes intelligently, then nodded, and sat down on the bedding pile as he closed the door.

Borealis squinted through the sunlight, looking at the clearing properly for the first time, aware all of the time of the jungle noises in the background. They had a long day ahead of them, and she mentally prepared herself as she waited for Cassus.

"I remember who I was, who I've always been. Sometimes I forget I'm not that person any more."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/26/2016 5:25 AM

Cassus finished securing the door - disguising it with vines and leaves so it blended into the cave wall. He paused a moment to sniff the air, before he picked up the bag of jars and stepped towards Borealis. As she turned to face him, she smiled, and Cassus felt that uncomfortable pull in his chest again, giving her a lop-sided smile in return before resuming his serious thoughts.

"Right, we're going to begin with food -  we need stores in order to survive out here, as well as some to preserve for the journey" he said, already thinking of the best places to gather fruit and harvest edible vegetation. "Be aware of where you step and your surroundings; if you see anything unusual, bring it to my attention immediately. This place is dangerous, and if we're not careful..."

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/26/2016 5:33 AM

Borealis nodded her understanding; she resolved to follow every instruction he gave, as he knew this place much better than she did. She pulled her bag onto her back; unlike the one he carried, this one was empty and would be filled as they hunted.

Cassus let out a single, long breath, before hoisting the bag of jars onto his back and walking carefully out of the clearing. As she followed, Borealis ignored the shiver that ran down her spine. She knew he would protect her to the best of her ability, and she wouldn't ask for more.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/26/2016 7:49 AM

Their bags filled quickly; they were lucky, with Cassus spotting a variety of creatures which could be used for food, and with the vegetation being at full fruit. Quite soon, they returned to their den to prepare the food for storage and eat lunch.

Cassus showed Borealis how to pluck the feathers off the polly they had caught, before using the vines dangling from the roof of the cave to string the bodies up for preservation. The fruit remained in the bag for the time being, whilst the vegetation - herbs, mushrooms and edible plants - all went into jars, to be placed in a dark corner of the cave.

After they had eaten, Borealis gathered some flexible twigs and set to weaving a basket to hold the fruit they had gathered.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 02/26/2016 1:48 PM

The next few days were spent in the same pattern; Cassus and Borealis would head out early to gather and hunt, whilst Ebele stayed behind to protect the den. The afternoons were spent preserving food and making things - such as baskets - that were needed. Cassus also made it a point to stretch out and dry the skins from their hunts, as they could be sold or used as needed.

Borealis paused for a moment to contemplate how she felt content with their lives in the rainforest; although it rained regularly and the air was hot and moist, she felt safe and their den felt like home. Unbeknownst to her, Cassus also felt content - but his was overshadowed by the knowledge that every day spent out here would bring them closer to the birth of her pups, and they would be in peril.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/08/2016 11:37 AM

One night, after they had been living in the rainforest for about two weeks, Cassus decided it was time they cleared out the storeroom. Carefully, they cleared what bags they could, and harnessed Ebele to the cart - who was very happy to be going with them - as they wouldn't be able to carry everything on their own.

Carefully, they sneaked through the streets of the slums, until they reached the grate at the back of the storeroom. "Stay here" Cassus whispered, motioning for Ebele to stay put as well. "I'm going to have a look around."

Borealis nodded, and placed one of her hands on Ebele's head for comfort - this whole area smelled like Kale and his thugs, and it made her uneasy.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:09 PM

Fortunately, their luck seemed to hold and Cassus returned unharmed. He nodded to Borealis, who carefully peered through the grate into the chamber beyond.

"There's nobody in there" she whispered, as Ebele stuck her tongue through the grate to taste the air. "Stand aside" said Cassus, moving to the grate; "I'll pull it out, then you slide through and pass me things - it's much too small for me to fit" he whispered, grasping the grate and removing it carefully and quietly.

Borealis slipped into the room beyond, and began to pass the jars and various glassware that surrounded her up through the grate, where Cassus loaded them onto Ebele's cart.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:13 PM

By dawn they were finished, and Borealis was just grabbing the last of the glass jars when she heard whistling coming towards the storeroom from outside the door. She knew that whistle, and that scent - it was Kale! She began to quiver where she crouched, and almost dropped the jar in fear.

"Borealis, up here" whispered Cassus; he too could hear the whistling, and did not want them to get caught.

Ebele turned her head nervously, feeling the tension in the air; she stuck her head through the grate slot and tugged at Borealis' shirt, encouraging her to pass the jar over and climb up - which she did. They had just enough time to replace the grate, and then they were running for their lives as fast as they could go without the jars clinking too much.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:20 PM

An angry shout followed them as Kale discovered his storeroom had been cleaned out, but they were well on their way. Were it not for Borealis' scent markers, he would not even have known that they were there.

"I can't believe that worked" Borealis panted, as they left the slums and headed into the rainforest. Cassus looked at her worriedly; he didn't want her exerting herself too much, especially after such a scare.

Ebele trotted along happily, as her tendrils absorbed the dappled sunlight that filtered through the trees.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:51 PM

Cassus could see Borealis was struggling to keep up; she was panting heavily, and it seemed to take quite some effort to keep going. "Maybe you should ride on the cart" he suggested at last, after having grabbed her elbow to steady her.

"I don't want to put too much strain on Ebele" she responded; she was grateful for the offer, but worried that she would be too much for the Radill to pull.

"I don't think that'll be a problem, you're very light" Cassus responded, lifting her up before she could protest and placing her on the cart with the glassware.

Ebele reared up and turned her head; her long neck allowed her to nuzzle Borealis' cheek, as if to imply that it was all right for her to pull her.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:54 PM

Borealis tiredly accepted that she was going to be made to ride, whether she liked it or not, and sat back in the cart. Cassus, satisfied, began to walk with Ebele trotting alongside him happily.

A while later, they reached their clearing and Cassus gently lifted Borealis off the cart. It struck her as odd that he was being quite so gentle with her, but she shrugged it off figuring that they had both had a scare. Together, they unloaded the glassware and stored it away inside their cave, ready to be filled.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 9:58 PM

As Cassus covered the handcart up again, Borealis lay down on the bedding pile. She was unusually tired, she thought, and it crossed her mind that perhaps the stress had had an adverse effect on her condition. She began to panic, as she did not wish to tell Cassus about it yet, but she feared something was wrong.

Ebele tried to comfort her by nuzzling against her, but it was to no avail; Borealis was in full-blown panic mode, with tears streaming down her cheeks, and nothing the Radill did could calm her. This was how Cassus found her, crying onto the radill whilst cradling her stomach, and he instantly knew what the problem was.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 10:01 PM

Cassus tried to soothe her every way he knew how without directly addressing the issue, but Borealis simply wasn't responding to it. In the end he gave up, and held her close as he whispered "It's all right, I know you're with pups", holding onto her so she wouldn't try to flee.

Borealis was horrified that he knew, and her weeping increased tenfold. "I'm sorry, please don't leave me here, I swear I didn't want to be with pups, please don't leave me here, I'm sorry" she sobbed, clinging onto him for comfort. Seeing her distress, Ebele whined and moved even closer to wrap around the two of them, shielding them with herself.

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby ToxxicRenegadeAngel » 11/29/2016 10:04 PM

"Shh, shh, it's all right, I won't leave you here, it's all right" Cassus soothed, holding Borealis close. He had guessed some time ago that it wasn't her choice to be in this condition, and he blamed Kale wholeheartedly - what had he done to make the proud female crumble?

Ebele whined, but calmed as Cassus soothed Borealis. Her tears began to slow, and when she began to hiccup she pushed him away and held herself tightly, not looking at him. He sighed in exasperation; how was he supposed to tell her he meant to stay with her?

ToxxicRenegadeAngel
Well-Traveled Tamer
Well-Traveled Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext