A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Re: Dangerous Disguise [P, Hunt, L/V]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/19/2016 1:39 AM

He could feel his sister trembling in his arms, and was surprised that she was so upset about Sam’s absence. He knew they were close, but he’d never imagined they were this close. Maybe he should have forced Sam to say goodbye, instead of hustling her on the first jeep to Chilton Foliat.  

“I just thought-” Lizzie began, swiping at her eyes, drying the traitorous tear that escaped. “-that she left because of me. I-I mean she doesn’t care that much if people know she’s a girl, even if she didn’t like it getting out. But I never thought she’d leave because I said something. I just wanted to tell her I’m sorry.” And that she was sorry for screwing up with all the other guys too; Sam had yet to know about that, and Lizzie was really tempted to keep it to herself. She could just blame Bill or Joe or Babe for that one.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 06/19/2016 1:39 AM

“Aw, Liz, you’ll get your chance. She’ll be back in no time. I promise.” Lewis slanted a look at his friend, Dick, who had wisely kept quiet up until then.

“Right,” Winters agreed, clearing his throat. Lizzie gave a start, as if just noticing her was there, and flushed prettily; she was making a royal ass out of herself in front of an officer, and that was beyond embarrassing. “She’ll be back before you know it. She won’t be gone more than a week or so, promise.”

Lizzie felt something heavy lift from her shoulders at the thought of seeing her friend again—of being able to apologize to her.  

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:36 AM

Lewis turned to his friend, a long-suffering smile on his face. “I have no idea where she gets that,” he quipped, sounding amused.

“Yeah,” Dick muttered, shaking his head. “I’m sure you don’t. Anyway, did you tell the officers about Sam joining us?”

“Of course. They’ll let them know when she gets back,” Nixon replied, taking another bite of his almost forgotten sandwich as he returned to his seat.

“And what did you instruct them to say about her?”

“I just told them to tell the boys that we were getting a new medic. Whatever else they say is up to them.”

“Sounds about right, although you should have told them to let them know. It would’ve been easier to keep an eye on her,” Dick mused, pressing his fingers to the bridge of his nose. “I don’t like the idea of all this, Nix. It doesn’t sit right.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:37 AM

“What? A woman in combat, or a woman who is indistinguishable from a man in combat?”

Dick shot him a look and Lewis snapped his mouth shut with a grin. “You know what I mean. We’ll need to watch her, Nix. Let the officers know; if she shows any sign of strain or wearing too thin, I want her sent back to the rear, no questions asked. I don’t like her being as close to Easy as she will be; it’s too dangerous. But Sink was right. We need more medics, desperately. Doc and Spina can’t handle it all alone. And she’s a good nurse, from what I heard. She can tough it out.”

“Top of her class,” Nixon recited, as though having said it before. “But with an attitude problem. She’s listed as insubordinate because she didn’t want to wear a dress.” He seemed to find that hilarious. “I think they finally just gave up and let her do what she wanted. I heard from the head matron at the hospital that she’s a tireless worker, and she does well under pressure. She helped a lot of men coming in from Normandy before she was promoted. I think she’ll be able to do some good out there.”

Winters sighed, closing his eyes as he leaned back in his chair. “I really hope it’s worth it, Nix. I don’t know what I’d do if she got killed on my watch.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

A week passed for Sam like the days were being dragged through the mud, much like she was.

She spent most days and nights slogging through muck, learning to jump from fake airplanes without ‘breaking her legs’ or her ‘neck.’ She ran for miles in the pouring rain, in full gear, with all of her supplies and medical equipment. She didn’t complain when her blisters developed blisters and her muscles screamed at her to rest. She never said a word when the rain soaked through her clothes, chilling her to the bone. She kept her mouth shut when her commanding officer screamed at her to ‘try harder,’ yelled at her for ‘falling behind’ and glared at her and told her she didn’t have what it took to jump from a plane.

She hated Herbert Sobel, she realized only five minutes and thirty-four seconds into her training.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

He was breaking her down, and she wanted to say it was so he could build her back up again, but she was feeling like she’d never crawl out of the ditch he was battering her into. He didn’t give a damn if she was a woman; he wanted her to run faster, work harder, and all but die on her feet to be a ‘better medic.’

She was sure she couldn’t take anymore of him, right up until she had to make her first of four jumps.

Standing at the door, feeling the wind rush past her, seeing the countryside below her, and feeling the knot in the pit of her stomach dissolve like a breeze, she forgot about Captain Sobel. She forgot about grueling marches and slogs through the mud and the ache in her bones and her muscles. All she could see and feel was the air and the sky and the freedom of falling as she jumped. When the wind snagged her chute and snapped her back up, she felt an exhilaration like she’d never felt before. She watched the ground drift below her, the clouds roll above her, and the plane leave her to the mercy of the air.

It was the most freeing and wonderful feeling she’d ever felt.

And she did it three more times without fail.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:38 AM

Before Sam returned to Aldbourne, she was scheduled to meet medics from the 326th in the town of Marlborough only a few miles away. Her stomach twisted nervously as the jeep bounced her into the town, watching faces of soldiers and civilians alike flash by on her way. She’d been told that the medics were here for supplemental training, and she’d spend three days getting to know them before heading back to Aldbourne and her attachment to Easy.

The jeep she was riding in rumbled to a stop, and her driver nodded at her, indicating that the small farm he’d brought her to was her destination.

“Thanks,” she told him absently, ignoring his faint half grin as she stepped out of the jeep, clutching her new medic bag close to her hip. It had become a sort of nervous habit in the last week of training when she’d been forced to run or crawl or found herself being reprimanded for doing something wrong; her hands just immediately went to the strap, holding on as though it were some sort of lifeline.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:38 AM

As she approached the barn, she noticed two groups of men just inside the large, open double doors. They were smoking, chatting, but generally seemed to be ignoring each other, for the most part. One group consisted of only two men (was that a group or a pair? she wondered), while the other group had four. Hesitant to approach the larger one, she instead opted to head towards the two men, who stopped their conversation to watch her walk towards them. As she stopped just in front of them, she paused, unsure of how to proceed. This was a little out of her element; she was used to working alone or with Lizzie, and introducing herself to a bunch of men she was supposed to train and work alongside was a sort of new and daunting.

“Um…”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:39 AM

“Are you sergeant Branigan?” one of the men asked. He had blue eyes and dark hair, and his face was closed off, distrustful. He eyed her as though she were some sort of speck on his uniform that he wanted to remove.

“Yes, I am. Sam Branigan. And you are…?”

“They didn’t even tell you our names?” The second man replied incredulously, and Sam instantly liked him better. He had a more open face, one that she could tell saw a lot of laughter.

“Er, well, no…”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:41 AM

The first man was peering at her with narrowed eyes, and Sam resisted the urge to take a step back. Instead, she canted her chin, returning his look with one of her own. “So,” she demanded. “You gonna tell me your names?”

“Sure,” the second man replied amiably. “I’m sergeant Lew Helman. And this here is sergeant Sidney Seda. We’re the senior combat medics from the 326th. Or at least, two of them.”

Sam raised an eyebrow, a faint smile on her face; yeah, she definitely liked Lew better. “Glad to meet the two of you.” She stuck out her hand, and Lew took it instantly, shaking it with vigorous abandon and a wide smile. “Did they tell you anything about me, by chance?” Sam was curious as to what exactly they knew about her. When Lew shrugged and shook his head, her eyes flickered from man to man. “Eh, well…”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:42 AM

“You’re a girl.”

Sam gave a start, and so did Lew, both of them turning wide eyes to Sidney, who had finally let up on the narrow-eyed look he was shooting Sam. Instead of looking angry, now he just looked upset. His mouth was turned down in a firm frown, and Sam felt a scowl slip onto her face, almost like second nature, defensive walls and guard instantly thrown up. Lew turned from his friend to Sam, his mouth open as he looked her up and down.

“No way. You’re not a girl…are you?”

Sam resisted the urge to wipe the dumb look off his face with her fist, and instead, folded her arms tightly across her chest to keep her twitching fingers from reaching out and wringing Sidney’s neck. “Yeah. I am. So what? Got a problem with it?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Lew immediately held his hands up, shaking his head when he saw the look on her face. “Uh-uh no ma’am, not a problem at all!” he rushed to assure, nervously looking between a smirking Sidney and a scowling Sam. “It’s just…I mean…No one told us you were a girl. And when you walked up…” he turned to his friend, and accusing finger lifting to point imperiously at him. “How did you know, Sid? Did command tell you?”

“Nah,” Sidney drawled, flashing Sam a white-toothed smile. Sam’s scowl deepened, though a blush crept across her face without her permission. “But the way you walk. The way you talk and your face. You’re different, and you stand out.” He gestured to Sam’s sour look. “I have never met a man with a face like yours; it’s too smooth and perfect and round. You look like a peach.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Sam blinked. She’d never been compared to a fruit, ever. That was a new one. “Fine,” she scoffed. “So you know I’m a girl. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, maybe we can get to work? If all you guys do is sit around like this, then I can see why you needed new medics. You’re the least productive CMs I’ve ever met.”

Sidney didn’t seem concerned about her insults. “Relax, Red. Don’t be upset just because I called you out on your…really bad disguise? I don’t know why you dress like that, but I’m bettin’ you have your reasons and they aren’t my business. And don’t give me that face.” He pointedly ignored her glare.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:43 AM

“I just happen to have sharper eyes than most of the men around here. Nothing gets past me. If you’re smart, you’ll take a leaf outta that book; sure helps when you’re a medic.” He tapped his nose, chuckling. “So don’t worry. And we’ve got plenty of time to get to work. In fact, Lew and I were just about to introduce ourselves to the replacements. We were waiting for you.” His grin was wide, bright and–Sam had to admit—infectious. “Now that you’re here, we can get the show on the road. I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces when they find out that you’re a girl.”

Sam felt panic rise up in her chest, but quickly tamped it down; she didn’t have time to be concerned about what the men thought of her. Sidney and Lew seemed welcoming enough, even if Lew was still eyeing her like she was some sort of rare bird. So why should she expect anything different from the replacements? She was, technically, a replacement herself, albeit one with a little more experience under her belt.

“Fine,” Sam grumbled, hiking her bag up on her shoulder. “Let’s do it.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 07/06/2016 12:43 AM

The four other men in the barn were named Brenden Gibson, Tom Sledge, Toby Stone, and Martin Burgen. All four were replacement medics with the 326th. Lew and Sidney had been with the company since the start, and had already seen combat in Normandy; they were seasoned veterans, and they treated the whole training affair like it was all old hat. Neither seemed to concerned about having to train so many new replacements, and Sam envied them when she saw the practiced way they instructed the other men.

All four replacements expressed varying levels of disbelief or annoyance at her gender, but Sam chose to ignore it, however difficult it was. More than once she’d held back from smacking Sledge upside the head for a snide remark. But for the most part, Lew and Sidney kept them in line. Sidney, in particular, seemed to growl more at the men when they made a remark about Sam. And while she went about her business, deflecting the mumbles and rebuffing the rude gestures, Sidney didn’t let them go. He was more than happy to dress down one of the new privates for ‘disrespecting an officer.’

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext