Nice and peaceful, Nabias offers a great place to start your journey or stock up on supplies before heading out to brave the rest of the wilderness out there. They also have Barakka's largest hospital facility to treat all sorts of injuries you could get out there. (+2 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Town of Nabias

Soulmates [L/M Private]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 10:59 PM

(Pet form pending)
Eugene Roe ran a hand over his face as he stepped out of the hospital.

The automatic doors slid closed behind him, and he sighed heavily, shoulders slumping. It had been another long, hellish shift at the hospital, and it wouldn’t have been so bad except for the party of drunk idiots who ended up in the emergency room after one too many tequila shots.

Speaking of tequila, he really needed a drink.

But the fact that he had an early shift tomorrow kept him from acting on his desire, and he sighed again as he checked his watch. It was nearing twelve a.m. His shift should’ve been over an hour ago. “Fuck,” he mumbled, just as his cellphone buzzed in his pocket. The quiet noise startled Gene, and he fumbled with the phone before managing to bring it to his ear. “Jeeze, hello?”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: Soulmates [L/M Private]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:00 PM

“Gene, where da fuck you been?”

Babe Heffron’s voice on the other line made Gene smile just slightly; since transferring to Easy Company in mid-August, Babe had become Gene’s roommate on base, and the medic had to admit, he did like the guy. Babe was a good friend, always eager to help whenever he could, and he was clean and liked to keep the house tidy and cooked like no one’s business, so that was a plus. He even volunteered to pick Gene up when he had late shifts like this, although he got a little cranky if the shifts ran overtime.

“Sorry, Heffron,” Gene apologized quickly. “Shift ran late.” As it had most nights for the last month, ever since he’d started his internship as a resident at the New Jersey based hospital. Only a few miles from where they were stationed, it provided the best opportunity for him to get some real practice in the medical field. The army had already helped him complete his initial training and med school, and his internship was the final step in a career that felt a long time coming. He was aiming to either be an army surgeon, or working from one of the big hospitals in a major city.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:01 PM

“Eh, don’t worry about it, doc. I’ll be there to getcha in a sec.” Even as Heffron spoke, Gene could see familiar headlights pulling into the parking lot and only a moment later, Babe’s truck pulled up in front of him. It stopped in front, and Gene pulled the door open, hopping in and tossing his backpack in the floor.

“Thanks, Heffron.”

Babe rolled his eyes, grumbling as he pulled out of the lot and onto the road, headed back to base. “Damn it, Gene, I told you to call me Babe.”

Gene shrugged sheepishly; he never had it in him to use nicknames. He wasn’t sure why, but they just felt…wrong? He caught hell for it from most of the guys in his company, but it was all good-natured ribbing, and it didn’t bother him much. It was just his nature; no matter how close he got to someone, he didn’t usually use their nickname.

“Just drive, Heffron,” Gene mumbled, already feeling fatigue creeping into his bones. “I really need some sleep.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Samantha Branigan growled quietly as she stepped out of the hospital.

Sometimes, she seriously hated herself for choosing to be a nurse. She’d never intended to be one, truth be told; she wanted to become a doctor, but medical school was way too expensive, and by the time she’d finished her RN program, she was so far in debt that she doubted she’d ever claw her way out.

This shift tonight had been a lot more difficult than most of them; a bunch of drunk idiots had come in and started making too much noise, and one of the newest residents, Eugene-something-or-other, was elected to aid them because no one else who was working the ER wanted to deal with a bunch of fucking stupid kids who didn’t know what their limits were. Sam had felt a little bad for him, because he was new, and he shouldn’t have had to deal with it alone, but they didn’t pay her enough to clean up a nineteen-year-old-wannabe-cool-guy-frat-boy’s vomit.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Of course, the case she had been dealing with was a lot harder than the new guy’s.

A man and a woman had been in a car accident, and the woman was in critical condition. The man was okay; minor cuts and bruises, and a few scrapes here and there. They’d both been admitted, and Sam had the dubious honor of checking the man over, making sure he was all right and not concussed. She’d ordered that he stay the night, at the very least, to make sure nothing went wrong, especially internally.

His wife was another matter.

Sam knew about Soulmates; everybody in the whole God damn world knew about Soulmates. The person you were meant to be with forever, the one who was made for you. Every person had special words written on their hips, tucked safely out of sight of prying eyes, waiting to be spoken by that special person. When that happened, you knew they were yours forever.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

There was only one problem.

Sam didn’t have any words.

She’d been born without them, a rare occurrence, but an occurrence nonetheless. She’d researched the phenomenon, finding out that one in about every nine-hundred thousand people had been born without a Soulmate. Most of what she read was encouraging; she could find someone who had no words, someone who was like her, and live a pretty happy life. She never got involved with anyone who had words on them because that was just a recipe for heartbreak, but it didn’t mean it didn’t bother her any less. It was sobering to think that the universe didn’t have any plans for you beyond your simple existence, and that they hadn’t created someone especially for you.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:02 PM

Some of what she read wasn’t as encouraging; she read about people who had no words, but who fell in love with someone who did. They were promptly left behind when their loved ones found their Soulmate, doomed to a broken heart and probably a life of alcoholism. Hell, there were even movies about unrequited love, either from people who said the words of someone they weren’t Soulmates with, or people who had no words who pined after someone that wasn’t meant for them. It was very depressing, if she was honest with herself.

Sam kept her distance from people; she’d gone on dates once or twice with men who had words, but broke it off immediately once she found out for sure. She was not about to stupidly involve herself with someone who was destined to leave her for another. Anytime a man showed interest, she generally tried to shut it down before it started. She didn’t need that kind of drama in her life.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

But the man and the woman who had come in from the car accident had nearly torn her heart in two, and made her curse the irony of the universe’s wicked grand plans, or lack thereof, for her.

When she’d brought the man in to see his wife—who was hooked up to a ventilator and a heart monitor, but who was in relatively stable condition—the way he had held her hand and looked at her, with such love and tenderness and utter devotion had nearly done Sam in, and she’d had to step outside to compose herself. She’d caught the eye of that new resident, Eugene-what’s-his-name, but he hadn’t said a word to her, and had immediately rolled up his sleeves to dive back into a room full of a bunch of drunk idiots who really needed to sober the hell up.

Blowing out a long breath, Sam wrapped her arms around herself as she strode towards her car, eager to get home and get to bed. Maybe if she tried hard enough, she could forget today had ever happened.

She’d forget the look the man had leveled his wife with, forget the love and absolutely soul wrenching loyalty and care he’d looked at her with. She’d forget she didn’t have any words on her hip, and forget that she was probably destined to be alone, because what were the odds of finding someone else without words who would put up with her?

Sam laughed bitterly; yeah right. More like if she drank enough vodka, she’d forget how fucking messed up the universe actually was.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Gene blinked bleary eyes at the way-too-chipper man in front of him as Babe slid him a plate of breakfast food.

“Seriously, Heffron?” he asked, staring down at a Sunnyside up happy face with the bacon for a smile. He raised an eyebrow at Babe, who was humming cheerfully like a fucking housewife as he fixed his own plate. Ugh, it was too early for this.

“Seriously. A balanced breakfast is the only way to start the day,” Babe chirped.

“Why is it smilin’?”

“I think the better question is: why aren’t you smilin’? I made you fucking breakfast. Be grateful, ya asshat.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:03 PM

Rolling his eyes, Gene decided he might as well dig in, and wasn’t surprised that the food was delicious; Heffron was a really good cook, a fact that he’d discovered early on and silently praised because being as busy as he was with Easy Company and the hospital, his usual meals tended to come from a bag or a box. If he even ate at all, of course.

“What’s on the agenda today?” he asked, glancing up at the red-head who sat himself at the table across from him, eagerly tucking into his own food.

“Cap’n said drills. Somethin’ about getting’ ready for the War Games, I guess. Wants Easy to be in top shape. Aren’t you comin’ to those?” Babe looked confused; Eugene was Easy’s medic, so of course he should know about what the company was expected to do day-to-day.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:04 PM

Gene shook his head. “Naw, not today. I got an early shift at the hospital, so I’m excused. I’d like to say I won’t be as busy as you boys, but I’d be lyin’. If it’s anything like last night…” He trailed off and shivered; he’d had terrible dreams about frat boys vomiting all over his cleanly pressed, military-issued uniform.

“Hey, yeah, that’s-” Babe began, but he was cut off by the ringing of their doorbell. When Gene didn’t make a move to get it, Babe huffed and slid from his chair, striding towards the door and opening it without checking to see who it was.

“’Ey, Babe, how ya doin’?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Babe grinned at Bill Guarnere, Joe Toye, and George Luz, who stood just on the threshold of the door, eagerly bouncing on their feet. Well, George was bouncing; Toye was too dignified for that, and Bill was leaning against the doorframe, looking amused. “Bill, Joe, Luz,” Babe greeted. “Come on in; I just made breakfast.”

Not one to pass up food (and knowing how good of a cook their red-haired friend was), the three men immediately accepted the invitation, making themselves comfortable around the small kitchen and grabbing plates of bacon and eggs. Gene was silent, quietly eating his food as quick as he could before he had to leave for his shift at the hospital.

“Hey, so we’re goin’ out with some of the guys tonight; you and Babe should come, doc,” Luz quipped, stuffing a bite of egg into his mouth.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Yeah! You never come out with any of us!” Babe responded, pointing his fork at Gene with narrowed eyes. “You have to. I know for a fact that ya got the day off tomorrow, and so does the rest’a the company. We can get drunk and shit and not have to worry about waking up early tomorrow. Plus, there will be some cute girls there.” He shot a meaningful look at Joe, Bill and Luz, as if silently asking for backup.

“Oh, right!” Bill agreed. “Frannie said she’s gonna ask some of the gals from the hospital to come. That oughta make you feel right at home, Gene.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Gene knew that Bill’s Soulmate, Frannie, was the receptionist at the hospital. He’d spoken to her once or twice, and he liked the girl. He just didn’t know how he’d feel going out and drinking with a bunch of unfamiliar girls from the hospital, especially when there was the possibility of making an ass out of himself. He liked to keep work and private life separate.

“No thanks,” Gene mumbled around his food, chewing thoughtfully.

“Oh, come on. Have you even talked to anyone at the hospital yet?” Babe wheedled.

“Whoa, hey. I talk to people, Heffron. Just…it’s for work, not for socializin’.”

“And that right there is your problem, doc,” Bill responded. “You are surrounded by pretty dames all day, and you don’t do a damn thing about it. If you don’t talk to them, you won’t ever find your Soulmate. That’s the whole point of the damn mark, ya know.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 09/11/2016 11:05 PM

“Maybe I’m not interested in findin’ my Soulmate righ’ now,” Gene fired back, standing up from his chair and grabbing his cleared plate. He dumped it in the sink, grabbing his backpack and shrugging on his uniform top. His boots thudded on the hardwood as he headed to the door, eager to be away from the men and to get a little space; he’d drive himself today. “See ya’ll later. Don’ work too hard.”

He was gone before any of them could respond, and Babe turned to fix Bill with a look. “Way to go Bill. Don’t blame me if you wake up with your arm stitched to your head and a missing kidney.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next