A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Re: Unbreak My Heart New [P; crow and I]

Postby zapdragon555 » 01/05/2016 7:19 PM

Now that the harsh words had slipped out of Rudy's mouth, he felt tired. The robot's mechanical words fell on his ears like lead, white noise buzzing behind them. He needed to try to sleep, to eat--not argue with AI about pointless topics. He could tell the robot was making an effort to talk gently, and somehow, that just made him more angry. But it seemed like everything made him angry these days, even the smallest things, even things done with good will. How dare this machine understand human emotions? His emotions?

The last statement just about tore it. Rudy heard the words, but didn't process them right away. He expected anger to rise out of his heart, to lash out, to carry his body forward into the garden to attack the robot... but no such thing happened. He felt himself sink down to his knees, burned hands moving to rub hard over his face and eyes as hot tears sprang in them. It was a mess, all of it. All of it. "Yes," he whispered, through the shaking of his shoulders. "It isn't yours. It belongs to my friend, not you. So leave it be, please."

But there will come a time
You'll see, with no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

"Tomorrow will be a good day."

Pen | New Pen | Breed | Wish | Sales | Art | Imp. | Add-ons

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Keystones: 485
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby crow » 02/10/2016 3:23 AM

Terrence fell silent at that. He watched Rudy, his expression conflicted. This, too, was beyond the measure of his limited knowledge--- how to deal with grief. He remembered the body, the--- the corpse in the room where he had activated, remembered the way Rudy had remained cloistered in his room for days on end. His hand reached out toward Rudy's shoulder, but at the last moment his fingers flinched. Stilled. He had no idea what he was doing.

Quietly, he let his hand fall back into his lap. "Very well," he said softly, his voice still kind in that bland, gentle way. It was not his place to be hurt or angry or frustrated, and it wouldn't have helped to emulate it, not now. He gathered the tools he had taken and rose, making his way back to the shed. He placed everything back as he had found it. The shed, at least, needed no tidying; its former owner had kept it neat.

When he reached the door to the house, he paused, glancing back at Rudy with the same strained expression he had worn before. He felt as if he ought to... But the thought wouldn't finish, and Rudy had made it abundantly clear that Terrence had upset him. The robot had no place here, he understood that much. Forcing himself to look away, he slipped back inside without a word.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 3874
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 02/12/2016 11:55 PM

Rudy didn't see the movement from the robot. His hands were scrubbing at his eyes, trying to stop the flow of tears because even when he knew the only audience there wouldn't judge him for crying, he couldn't bring himself to do so freely. He did hear the clicks of metal and polished fiberglass as the robot stuck out its hand, but he didn't look up until the android was already moving to put the tools away. Rudy slumped against the doorway, his hands and head falling as he stared at the trimmed leaves on the sun-warmed concrete, his mind blank and chest hollow. He supposed he should feel bad for lashing out at the robot, for it was doing nothing wrong, nothing against its prerogative. But he couldn't muster it, not in full, not in earnest.

As the robot went back inside, Rudy simply sat there, letting the sun warm his ankles while the rest of him stayed chilled in the shadow the wall behind him cast. He'd go back inside eventually, for this was neither his space nor the robot's space. It was Terrence's space. It needed to stay that way, no matter how much of a shame it was to let the flowers die. The errant, intrusive thought crossed Rudy's mind that perhaps he should simply uproot the flowers, kill them quickly before they had to suffer too long and die naturally. It would be fitting, the thought said. Just like Terrence, it said.

Rudy would quiet his thoughts with sleeping pills that he never really needed to use before the incident, his days becoming a haze of nothings and sleep. It wasn't long before he stopped caring entirely what the robot did or what it got itself into. He just couldn't be bothered.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate
Location: "I mean... for me, I could love someone even if I, you know, wasn't paid for it...

Postby crow » 04/17/2016 2:16 AM

Terrence had meant to keep himself away. Truly, he had. But hardly a day had passed and he found himself in front of the back door again, staring out at the garden, his fingers curled around the handle.

His programming, he mused, must have been faulty. No one would have intentionally coded for insubordination. He remembered vividly Rudy's expression, the look in his eyes as he had ordered Terrence away from the roses. He had watched Rudy drug himself to sleep last night. This hadn't been what he had wanted, not at all.

And yet... the flowers looked so lonely.

The notion was nonsensical in the extreme. He had half a mind to ask Rudy to check his hard drives for signs of corruption, except Rudy had made it clear he wanted nothing to do with Terrence. But then, Rudy didn't really have to know. And surely, it could not have been such a heinous thing to take care of a few flowers...

His mind made up, Terrence pushed open the door.

One day in the garden turned to two, then three. After nearly a week, the garden began to resemble something other than an overgrown mess. The roses, in particular, flourished under his care. He found himself devoting particular care to them, and more and more of his time inside the house was spent researching how best to cultivate them. It felt, at times, a little perverse, for Terrence still did not see himself as the wilful, disobedient type. Still, even as he waited for a reprimand, none came. And so, he continued to visit the garden.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 05/06/2016 4:17 PM

Clichéd as it was, Rudy was beginning to feel as though time was losing its meaning for him. His irregular cycles of sleep and eating far outweighed each other, the former taking up an obscenely large portion of his efforts and hours, and the latter often forgotten entirely. Today, he was awake at a time that most people would deem normal. It was past noon, and the sun was warm--Rudy watched it from the window of the kitchen, a mug of coffee in his hands just to feel something pleasant on his palms, rather than drink it. He didn't need to feel the sun to know that it was warm.

The robot had disobeyed him. Rudy figured he should feel anger, or at least irritation, as his eyes drifted over the rows of colorful flowers and green growth, contained just as it had been before any of this happened. His eyes fell on the roses, and something in him ached. After feeling nothing but numbness for days, it startled him enough for him to nearly drop the mug in his hands--and instead, he set it down with a soft clatter on the counter, a hand going to press to his chest. It hurt. It hurt to see how lively those roses are, and it hurt to watch those synthetic fingers touch and trim and tend. Rudy's legs carried him out of the kitchen and towards the door to the garden, where the robot was kneeling, despite his wishes to hide away from this scene that hurt him so. His legs were shaky--they tended to do that, now, and Rudy was sure it was lack of nutrition or hydration--as he stepped out into the fresh air, looking around and stepping with the caution of some animal that had been in a cage all its life.

He walked towards the robot, wordlessly, and sat down next to it, drawing his knees up to his chest in a protective gesture as he stared at the flowers in front of him. The sound of insects buzzing, the scent of flowers wafting around him, it felt so utterly wrong and yet... Rudy felt tears spring hot and full in his eyes, and after a halfhearted attempt to stop them, he hung his head and began to cry, openly, muffled only by his weak attempts to keep himself quiet.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/01/2016 9:38 AM

Terrence's sensors alerted him to Rudy's presence as the lock clicked open--- or perhaps it would have been more organic to say that he heard it? Regardless, he had that much warning before Rudy was upon him. The urge to turn his head tugged at him, as did the urge to hide; but the latter, at least, was utterly futile. If Rudy was in the garden, there was no hiding anymore. He suspected that perhaps Rudy had known about his illicit garden activities before this, but... Perhaps he had grown disobedient after all. Even now, his hands did not stop, and he did not turn.

The reprimand he feared did not come. Rudy merely settled beside him, tucked in around himself. Terrence glanced at him sidelong, unsure of what to say--- always uncertain. It should have been simple: owner and android, orders and obedience. And yet, here they were: the only order Terrence had been given since his activation was one that he had gone out of his way to break; and he had been of no help to Rudy, not at all.

It was funny, the way these things worked. When Rudy hadn't yet caught him, Terrence had done what he could to avoid the man, but now that he was here, Terrence found that he couldn't stop staring. There were a thousand logical, justifiable reasons that he ought to look away, but it was almost as if he couldn't help it. He felt something tugging inside of him as he watched Rudy's small still form, which didn't feel at all like the instinct to serve. He thought that if he stared long enough, he could begin to unravel whatever it was.

But then Rudy put his head down, and Terrence registered the hitch in his breath, the way his shoulders shook. This time, his hand reached out of its own accord, and before he knew it, he had put his arm around Rudy. And Terrence knew that this was the last thing he wanted; Rudy had made that abundantly clear. But it felt... right, somehow, like the roses had felt right. As if this was something he wanted to do.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/18/2016 1:08 AM

The sudden arm around his shoulders took Rudy's breath away, as if contact of any sort was a foreign and paralyzing sensation. He'd frozen, the tears hiccuping to a stop, body stiff as a board for a few seconds before he suddenly slackened, a rush of emotion escaping him in a shuddering, aching sob. "Why--god--why did he have to die," he mumbled, the hands lying limp in his lap suddenly twitching and shifting to pick up a clipped rose stem, pressing the pads of his fingers into the thorns. The sharp pain brought him back to reality, stilled his shaking shoulders for a few seconds and left him shivering, staring at the pricks of blood on his hands. He breathed in, out, let the stem go, staring at the burn scars that covered his hands against the little droplets of blood with a contemplative look in his eyes. He didn't know where his gloves were. He usually wore gloves, didn't he?

He'd always wanted Terrence to touch his hands, but he'd never been able to let him, even when Terrence had tried. Why did he do that? Why did he deny his friend even that simple thing...? "I miss him..." he croaked out, voice rough from lack of use. "God, I miss him so much--" His words ended in another soft, trembling sob, not knowing why he'd hurt himself with the thorns, not knowing why he hadn't pushed the robot's arm away yet. He swallowed thickly, eyes screwed shut for a few moments, before he opened them and looked at the android, tears streaming down his face. "Please don't let go." The gentle touch was bringing out something that Rudy had kept caged for months now--emotions he'd killed and buried. It felt raw and painful--the good kind of raw and painful, like untangling rusted chains from around his heart.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/18/2016 11:30 PM

Terrence seized up too, when Rudy froze, suspecting for a moment that he may have chosen the wrong thing to do. It wasn't until Rudy spoke that the robot allowed himself to relax, quietly tucking Rudy closer against him. Watching him prick his finger with the thorn, Terrence's brows furrowed in concern, and he reached out with his other hand to take it away. "Please don't," he said softly. This was the one thing he could do, where he wasn't wholly at a loss. Rudy's words, his crying... Terrence wanted so much to have the power to stop it, to make things right, but he had no idea how to begin.

And yet... There was a part of him that was glad for this too. For the first time since he had been activated, Terrence felt he was making progress. Finally, Rudy wasn't pushing him away. The relief he felt at that was almost palpable. He listened to Rudy's words in silence; he had so many questions, but now wasn't the time. Instead, he focused on doing what he could to offer comfort, running his hands up and down Rudy's back in slow even strokes. Perhaps these strange impulses of his were more useful than he had given them credit for. He still didn't understand, but if it helped...

Gently, carefully, he took Rudy's bleeding finger, lifting it to his mouth. He pressed his lips to the wound, sucking on it ever so slightly. His tongue ran over the cut, and his eyes fluttered closed, as if he was savoring the moment.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 10/21/2016 11:12 PM

Rudy blinked when the android spoke, and he sniffed, looking down at his bloody fingers. Ah... he shouldn't have hurt himself. He'd made a scene, more so than if he'd just cried, and even that was making him ache with shame. Even if the only 'person' to see his transgression was the robot beside him, holding him, looking at him with such concern...

"Sor..." Rudy cut off his word when the robot took his hand and lifted it, his eyes widening slightly at the motion. "...ry." He finished his word, blinking, but what happened next he couldn't have expected in a million years. He froze up when the robot kissed him, then squeaked a wilting noise of surprise when a very real-feeling tongue slid against his fingers. "S--w-wait, stop--" he gasped, pulling away, his face blazing red with surprise. "That's... that's eerie--you're eerie. Weird, I mean. Um--" He blinked, realizing his fingers weren't hurting anymore. He looked down at the cuts, then peered at the robot, eyes narrowing against the hot flush in his cheeks. "W-what was that for...?"

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 10/22/2016 8:54 AM

Terrence looked up, smiling warmly. "There is no need to apologize," he said. "I am merely glad you are speaking to me." He meant it too; it had been exceedingly difficult to wander the house as long as he had, uncertain of his purpose, with no idea what to do to occupy himself. Everything he did seemed to frustrate Rudy, and he had eventually given up trying to appease the man as the futility of the endeavor sank in. But now, at last, he was making something like progress. For the moment, that was enough for Terrence.

His smile gave way to a frown of concern when Rudy pulled away, flushing acutely in the process. That couldn't have been healthy. "Are you alright?" he asked, reaching a hand to Rudy's forehead. "You seem to be developing a sudden fever." At his words, the robot paused for a moment. He saw nothing wrong with what he had done, and was more perplexed than anything at the flustered response. "My... 'saliva' acts as a disinfectant. If you find it off-putting, I can abstain from performing that procedure in the future." There were other ways to disinfect a wound, after all, but this was the fastest and most convenient for him, and didn't require him to carry around any excess supplies.

A sudden thought flitted across his mind, however, and Terrence paused, going still. "... Or is it your hands?" he found himself saying. "I'm sorry, I know you don't like... this... sort of thing." He looked confused even as he spoke the words. Where had that come from? Was it something in his database? Had he read it somewhere, heard mention of it before...? But the thought was gone as quickly as it came, leaving no answers for Terrence.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/06/2016 10:44 PM

The deluge of utter absurdity that streamed from the robot overwhelmed Rudy even more than he already was. He held his hand close to his chest in his other, posture screaming discomfort and intrigue and confusion all at once. He felt his pulse in the tips of his fingers.

He rarely felt anything in the tips of his fingers. He'd felt that, though. It felt real... not that Rudy knew what the inside of someone else's mouth felt like, but he'd cut himself before on accident, stuck a finger in his mouth... who's idea had that been? The saliva? The realistic mouth, for pete's sake? Tongue?! It had been his idea, hadn't it...

"I..." The sound that came out of him stuttered to a stop when the robot's hand touched his forehead, and when those words met his ears. '...you don't like... this... sort of thing...' Rudy's heart skipped and he coughed, drawing into himself, his brown eyes wide and staring at the rose clippings littering the ground. 'This sort of thing.' Beeping, steady, then unsteady, heart monitors, hospital beds, decrepit hands holding his own-- "Christ," he whispered, his breath shaking with a defensive laugh of disbelief--something to shake away the seven-ton weight of loss that suddenly threatened to ram him into the ground beneath his feet again. "Sorry, that... you reminded me of someone, just then." He swallowed, heart and mind racing. A coincidence. That's all it was. "He... he'd... he'd said something like that, before. Something exactly like that, a-actually... hah."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 11/19/2016 3:09 AM

Terrence fell silent as Rudy spoke. The hand he had held to the man's forehead fell away, coming to rest in his own lap with fingers loosely curled. The confused expression on his face gave way to something unreadable. His eyes remained fixed on Rudy's features, searching for any hint of... Truthfully, he didn't know what he was looking for. Answers, certainly, but what they might be when he couldn't even begin to formulate the questions...

He wasn't a fool. His AI had been programmed with the utmost care, so that he could make his own judgements and work autonomously with the information he had been given. He was at least as intelligent as the average human. Even without his proper databases, he could put things together, and he had. He hadn't forgotten the corpse, after all, or the machinery; and the manner in which Rudy had acted around him had been so inconsistent. If that had been the extent of it, he might still have dismissed the whole, but there had been inconsistencies in his own behavior too. His words just then had been one such example, but not the first.

There was just so much missing. He hardly knew where to begin. He felt as if he had been given a wreckage of a house, and no tools to fix it save his own inadequate hands.

Conflicting directives warred within him. He knew all too well that Rudy's current state was fragile, and having made such progress with him today, Terrence hardly wished to upset him again. However, he also desired answers, so much so that it brought him very near something like human frustration. This seemed like the best chance he would have to find them. "What am I?" he asked sofly, his pale eyes intent on Rudy's. "To you--- What am I? ... No, perhaps I should ask what I was?" Both hands came up now to rest on Rudy's shoulders, his grip still gentle but firm. Terrence could not stop Rudy from evading with his words, but at least he could not do so with his body this time.
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 11/19/2016 3:53 AM

Rudy supposed he should've felt relieved when the robot's hand removed from his forehead. But he didn't. He didn't want to ruminate on the fact that he missed the contact already. He'd been doing just fine (a bitterly hilarious overstatement) without any sort of interaction for weeks, at that point. Why was it different, now? A few simple touches, a few familiar words? Rudy was beginning to wonder if the robot even worked at all--if any of this was even real. Perhaps it was all a giant hallucinatory delusion. Perhaps. That would make things simpler, anyhow.

Rudy didn't meet the robot's eyes, even when his shoulders were grabbed. A wrecked house indeed--but the robot was clearly trying to turn the lights on to have a look around at the damages, at least.

Something about the robot's questions made him angry. This robot was nothing, should be nothing--but that was a lie. This robot was Rudy's conception, Terrence's brilliance, their coupled teamwork, two pairs of hands working side by side, late nights with far too much coffee and too much laughter, too many tears when things went up in smoke. And for what...? For what? "You... are... a very, very important project," Rudy finally said softly, his eyes locked on his knee, dark, thin brows knitted, "that a very... close friend of mine, and I, poured a lot of work into." He drew in a slow, deep breath, unraveling the tension in his heart thread by frayed thread. "For your first directive... you've been nothing but a success. Being a helper, a healer... all of that. And then..." He cringed at himself. This was wrong. This robot's intelligence was artificial, yes, but Terrence had claimed that the robot might be able to feel, too. Thinking and feeling aside, it was cruel to tell an individual who it was, who it was supposed to be. "And then my friend was diagnosed with cancer. I'll... assume you know what that means, given your medical database."

Rudy almost smiled at that. Almost. He recalled the hours of work Terrence had planned out for himself, the extensive research he was planning to code and shove into the robot's main memory. Was it really necessary, Rudy had wondered? This robot wasn't going to become a doctor, or anything. Just an assistant. Ah, but you never know, had been the airy answer. You never know. "The thought of losing him... I-I couldn't accept it. So I tried to move his... his... well, him into... into you. And it didn't work." Rudy said this last part far softer, his almost-smile long gone, his expression turning hollow once more. It had shined just a bit, during that. Whatever light had been there was gone, now, Rudy wilting slightly in the robot's hold. "It... it didn't work. And now Terrence is... i-is dead."

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby crow » 12/01/2016 9:18 AM

Terrence... let go.

He had found himself at a loss before. The sensation was not a new one. He had been activated without his databases; he had had to learn everything, beyond the few basic core procedures programmed into his hardware. The only person he had to rely on for directives had none to give him, and had until very recently avoided his presence altogether. To find himself adrift should not have been a surprise, after all that.

And yet, it had been nothing like this. Terrence's eyes were still fixed on Rudy, but there was an unfocused quality to them now, as if he wasn't really seeing what was in front of him. "Terrence," he said. His own name. "H-how does it feel, sir?" He was staring at the face of a man in a darkened room. There was an expression on his face the robot couldn't name. "I'm... I'm Rudy, you know?" Confusion flickered across his features. The robot sought context, and found none. There was nothing in the databases, nothing to recall. Tension in the man's limbs, eyes trembling as they searched the robot's empty face. The voice, again. "...Terrence?"

The body--- the way his hands felt, the roses. He looked at the flowers now, at the neat pile of dead heads he had cut away. "Do you miss him?" His own voice sounded distant and foreign the way it did sometimes, as if it belonged to someone else. And it had, hadn't it? ... Hadn't it?
crow
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby zapdragon555 » 12/08/2016 10:34 PM

The sudden lack of touch on his shoulders made Rudy waver, his body seeming much smaller than before, more frail almost. It was as though keeping all of this secret from the robot had been the only thing keeping his spine straight, his eyes steely rather than so sunken. Now everything was metaphorically on the table--almost everything, save for a few secrets that Rudy would keep close to his chest--and Rudy looked nothing but tired. He felt like crying again. But he felt strangely calm, all things considered.

When the robot said Terrence's name, Rudy looked back up at him, and blinked at the distant stare in the robot's eyes. Something tiny and soft flickered inside of Rudy, something like hope, before it was squashed with an anxious denial. He let out a breath, a soft kind of monosyllabic laugh that held no humor. Releasing air just to take in a deeper breath. "You couldn't imagine how much I do," he whispered, shaking his head slowly. "I... I loved him so much. I never did show it well. He was the kindest man I'd ever met in my life."

There. His last secret about the subject, rolled off his tongue far too easily. He meant it, too. He reached up to wipe at his eyes with his wrist, sniffing and clearing his throat. It felt good to say, now. It felt good. Love as a friend, and perhaps something more, definitely something more, but it hadn't mattered in the end. Rudy just wanted that kindness back.

But dismiss your fears
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

zapdragon555
Will Draw For Food
Will Draw For Food
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext