A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

Lessons in Healthcare [Ari/Spring][P, M just to be safe]

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 2:29 PM

ImageImage
Jalai / Braedon

Jalai yawned a bit, while he worked on setting up Braedon's hospital bed. His co-worker wasn't really sick enough for hospital care... but working here had its perks. The yawning was from the late-night shift he'd just pulled, and also the fact that he had gone about twelve hours at this point with no sleep. Running off of caffeine was a way of life for the doctors in Medicai. Coffee shops did extremely well here. Regardless of that, he had promised to take care of Braedon for a while, if the young man would make himself an essential guinea pig for him to teach his mates some examination and simple treatment techniques. He'd specifically asked Braedon, because the boy had a pain-tolerance that ranged into the legendary. It was one of the main things he considered... since he planned on teaching both Yuki and Tali how to give injections. Raine and Gale needed them occasionally, as well as other very simple procedures. It got embarrassing for the boys to get taken to the clinic every single time. Jalai was often busy, and since the other two didn't know how to apply medication in pretty much any sense of the word, he'd been approached by both boys to 'knock some sense' into Tali and Yuki. Those were Raine's words at least - the boy wasn't the best at language, but Jalai did understand his meaning. Natalie, of course, was a priority... but not as likely to complain as the blind Gale and the sickly Raine. As a matter of sheer fact, the young lady happened to be a paragon of good behavior. The same couldn't be said for her brothers all the time.

Nathan, surprisingly, had taken off on his own quite a while ago. Money came in from time to time, postcards and well-wishes, but he hadn't seen the boy since he was young. Running with some gang or another, last he'd heard. Nathaniel, however, could certainly take care of himself, since he seemed to be the only child in this family without extreme issues. Regardless... "Comfortable?" Jalai asked Braedon, fluffing the pillow behind him.

The ill paramedic nodded, and stretched once before flopping back. "I certainly hope these guys of yours have.. umm... BASIC knowledge. Don't know how much I'm going to be able to rest if they're asking me questions every five seconds."

Jalai laughed. "That's why I'm here. You're here to get poked, prodded, and eventually dosed with something strong enough to knock you out for a couple of hours. Not yet, though. Lessons first, rest later."
[EDITING SIGNATURE PLEASE HOLD]
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 424
Donate

Re: Lessons in Healthcare [Ari/Spring][P, M just to be safe]

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 2:48 PM

ImageImage
Taliña Lanwë.  Yuki-Xue Lanwë.

The pair walked into the hospital and showed the credentials they had been given by Jalai so that they could get back to where they needed to go.  Gale had protested going to the clinic many times before, and when Jalai told them that he'd been approached by both Gale and Raine, it became evident that they had some things to learn.

Of course, when Natalie had caught wind of what they boys had done, she tore into Gale.  She insisted that it wasn't their mother and stepfather's fault that they had to go to the clinic every time they needed a procedure--after all, when living the lifestyle they usually did, as pack Lucain, access to medicine wasn't always right there.  Even when their mother and stepfather could make the trip to Medicai in their Paragon forms, and when they weren't busy on the battlefield, they still only had very basic knowledge.

"Well... we're here," Tali said finally, coming up to the room that Jalai had told them to meet him at.  "Let's hope that whatever we learn here will... pacify the boys, at the very least, for a while."

"I agree," Yuki said, almost rolling his eyes.  "We really need to start spending some more time here in Medicai... some sort of a house or something, that way things are easier on the boys and Nat.  Youko and Treasach are largely capable of taking care of the pack..."
Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind
Thinking I can see through this to see what's behind
Got no way to prove it, so maybe I'm lying
Take a look in the mirror, what do you see
Can you see it clearer, or are you deceived in what you believe?
Don't ask my opinion, don't ask me to lie
Then beg for forgiveness for making you cry
'cause I'm no prophet or Messiah
You should go looking somewhere higher

I'm only human, I make mistakes
I'm only human, I do what I can
I'm only human, that's all it takes to put the blame on me

Don't put the blame on me

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 5883
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 2:57 PM

The doctor greeted his mates once he heard them come in, moving to embrace both of them before he drew back, taking Tali's hands in his own for a moment, then kissing Yuki on the cheek. "You are, as always, punctual." He said, beaming. "I'm glad you decided to accept my proposal about today. I'm sorry to pull you awake from the pack, but Raine and Gale were insistent that I at least teach you something you can do when I'm not at home. Speaking of that..." Looking to the side, he scratched at his cheek. "I haven't been home as of late, or even in Lucain form - it's been busy. I'm sorry about that. I know I promised to be around for the next hunt, but that failed too." There was a bit of a smirk. "I'm sure Nat has things well in hand. That girl's got more of a head on her shoulders than I had at that age."

Braedon waved at the two from the bed, then burst into coughing before Jalai introduced him. "Ah, this is Braedon. He's a paramedic here, and... heh.. happened to come down with a slight illness this morning as I was looking for a willing volunteer. Fortuitous for us, to say the least. First, though - are you two tired? Was the trip okay? Anything need to get looked at?" He scanned his mates quickly up and down, looking for any signs of distress, or immediate injury.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 3:09 PM

"The pack's fine," Tali said, smiling.  "Treasach and Youko--mine and Yuki's oldest son and daughter--are keeping everything under control, as the betas of the pack.  We've been spending more time recovering from the war than anything else, truthfully."

"Nat's been good, too," Yuki said.  "She... found out about Gale and Raine's request, and she tore into Gale for it.  Afterwards, I had to make sure that she sat down and rested for a bit, to make sure she wasn't straining her heart too much."  When Jalai asked if the trip was okay, if they were tired, and if they had anything that needed to get looked at, they looked to each other for a few moments.

"Well... the trip was long, but it usually is.  Thankfully, we have our Paragon forms, so we can fly," Tali said.  "We're a little tired, but nothing a cup of coffee won't fix for the moment.  Other than that, we're both fine."

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

:.:Eternal Spring:.:Tome of Records:.:Spring's Wishlist:.:Eternal Spring Breeders:.:
SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 3:23 PM

"I'm glad that everything's okay... and don't worry about coffee. That's a way of life here." He disappeared for a few moments, and came back with two cups of the stuff, made just how they liked it. Jalai wasn't a slouch boyfriend, he'd learned his mates' preferences early on. In pretty much everything. While Tali and Yuki drank their coffee, he mused a bit, taking out Natalie's chart from his desk, as well as a fresh one he'd written up for Braedon. Sipping coffee of his own that had been cooling on his desk, he glanced over the chart of the girl and nodded a bit. "It's about time for her to come back in for a checkup with her dad. I'm sure I can get Luminare's attention drawn away from the meetings he's been attending lately. You should bring her in soon, Tali. Same with Gale and Raine. Gods only know where Nathaniel is - but I'm sure he's fine."

After a couple of moments, he'd written up the very basics for a 'chart' for Braedon. He turned back around to his mates and smiled. "Alright. Since the boys were so insistent, we're going to start with just the basics. I'm not aiming to turn you guys into more than competent medics. If you want to take it further than that, I can sign you up for classes with subjects I'm not exactly qualified to TEACH. Practice, yes. Teach? Not so much."

He straightened the papers in the file, then handed it to Yuki. "This will be Braedon's file for teaching purposes. After these lessons, I'll shred it, so don't worry about making mistakes. I've already filled in the salient bits of information. Age, Weight, Height, name, and general condition are all things that you should look for, or ask for. Usually, a nurse or a receptionist has done that for me - but it might come in handy. We'll handle that later, though. Now... Tali, since you're less inclined to be the one asking questions, I'm going to start with you first. See that line in the sheet where it says 'Verbal Assessment'? You're going to want to ask Braedon the following questions. How are you feeling today, and what can we do to help you? How are you feeling right now? When did your issue - in this case, his illness - start? Is there any other information we should know? You want to get a good feel of his illness, and find out what he thinks about it."

Pausing here, he tapped his chin. "As with someone like Gale - verbal assessment can be a good tool for a doctor to start to diagnose someone who is difficult or doesn't know what's wrong with them. That's why you want to make sure to go over it for every patient as the first thing you do. Go ahead, then. Try and fill out that part on your own." He said, giving her a very gentle nudge toward Braedon.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 7:30 PM

Both Yuki and Tali took their coffees and drank them eagerly.  After Tali had drank some of hers, she nodded as Jalai spoke, and took the file from him.  She looked it over, set the coffee cup down, and took a pen and approached Jalai's friend.

"All right... Braedon, right?" she began, pulling a stool closer to her with her foot and sitting down after a moment.  "Let's start with with the basics, I guess, then.  My name is Taliña, and that's my mate, Yuki," she said.  "How are you feeling today?  Is there anything we can do to help you feel better, and recover faster?" she asked.  It wasn't quite the wording on the paper--but she wanted to sound more personable, and not like she was reading something off of a page.

Yuki, in the meantime, studied the chart that he had been handed.  He set down his coffee as well, and got a pencil to write with as well.  He listened as Tali asked the questions that Jalai instructed her to ask, and he prepared to write down any notes that he needed to as they came up.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 7:58 PM

Braedon chuckled, and looked up at Tali. "You're quite pretty, you know." he said, by way of starting off the conversation - then actually answered the questions he was asked. "Yeah, I'm not feeling so hot. I just got off my shift, and noticed that I was running a fever, so I took some meds for it. They didn't actually help - but then again, over the counter stuff rarely does, with me." Reaching up, he stretched out his arm, and sat up, wincing. Aches and pains went with this, apparently. "It's all the flu-type stuff. Stiff muscles, pain in my joints, I've got a headache, and I was shivering a bit ago. That's stopped now." He shrugged. "Some meds that actually work would be nice."

Jalai watched from his seat at the desk in here - his desk - and sipped his coffee. He knew Braedon wasn't usually this flippant or nonchalant, and he appreciated the guy putting on a front to help drive some of the lessons home. Difficult patients like the one Brae was pretending to be... well, they were a dime-a-dozen in the hospital and the field both. Brae had probably dealt with several before his shift ended. The fact that he sounded almost exactly like Raine - blowing off everything as 'not important' was a personal mark of amusement, and he had to hide his smirk in his mug of coffee as the interview continued.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 8:30 PM

As Braedon began talking, Yuki began to scribble down various notes on the chart--writing down Aches and stiff muscles, with a line pointing to both the muscles and the joints.  Complains of headaches, also complains of fever and chills.

"Okay, I guess that also answers the 'how are you feeling today'," Tali said, blushing slightly at his initial comment.  "So, you're feeling under the weather, and you think that it's most likely the flu," she said, also writing down a quick note, Definitely opinionated.  Wants some meds "that will actually work".

"So, when did you start having these symptoms?  Is there anything else we should know about you, and your condition?" she asked, looking back up after a few moments.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 8:42 PM

Stifling a yawn, Braedon answered, tapping his chin and thinking for a moment. "Like I said, when I got off my shift. That was like... two hours ago?" He glanced over to the clock. "So.. like... at six or something." He shrugged, giving off a nearly-perfect impression of a opinionated, couldn't-care-less teenage attitude. Jalai was frankly quite impressed. As Tali continued her line of questioning, Brae flopped back against the pillows, and crossed his arms behind him, rolling his eyes. "I guess you should know that I'm allergic to a lot of shit." he said, looking anywhere but at Tali, as a scared teen would tend to do - not wanting to admit anything's wrong. "Some cold medicines are like.. bad for me. So I don't take them. I'm also allergic to some foods, and bees. Or well... bees, wasps, any sort of flying thing that stings. I don't see what that has to do with you, though." He snorted, and rolled his eyes again.

Gods, he was exactly like Raine. This was precious, and he wasn't going to let in on the secret yet. Plus, most of what he was saying was generally true. Jalai knew him to be allergic to some painkillers, the ingredients to which was in most over-the-counter cold remedies. He also knew he was allergic to cherries, and bee-stings, wasp-stings, and fly-bites. Not allergic enough to carry an Epi-Pen everywhere, but he still did so. Safer that way. Before he'd put on this 'difficult patient' play, they'd been talking about getting him a refill.. and a new partner. Maybe Brae's acting was closer to his partner than a patient. At least judging by today's conversation.

Standing, he set down his coffee, and walked over to Tali. "Alright, here's where the hands on stuff starts." he explained, motioning down the chair. "HR is heart-rate. Most doctors can do this in a few seconds in their head, but you'll have to do it from scratch. Listen to his heart, right about here..." As he spoke, he reached over, and pointed to an area of Braedon's chest, just over his left pectoral muscle. "Count for one minute, and the number of full beats is the heart-rate. Blood pressure should already be taken by the nurse, but I've left it blank, because that's something I want to teach Yuki. That's the BP designation here." He pointed to the column on the sheet. "The next thing you should do is get his heart-rate, then move on to visual inspection." Leaning in, he whispered to Tali. "Going to have to ask him to take off his clothes, and change into the hospital gown - which is behind you, folded on that table."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 9:07 PM

"Just being thorough," Tali said, scribbling down Says that some cold medicines are bad for him, also says that he's allergic to bees/wasps/the like.  After a few minutes, she said, "After all, as I recall, one of the tasks of a doctor and nurses is to make sure that they have a full and accurate medical history.  Wouldn't want to give you anything that might land you in the emergency room."

When Jalai stepped in and instructed her on what needed to happen next, she nodded as she made the notes mentally.  Once he pointed to where she needed to get his heart rate, she nodded.  She cleared her throat and said, "Well... I'm going to need you to change into this hospital gown.  I'll pull the curtain around the bed so you have some privacy, so... just let us know when you're ready," she said, passing the gown to him and pulling the curtain around the bed.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 9:38 PM

Jalai watched as Braedon took the hospital gown, and disappeared behind the curtain. With the speed at which he could put on his uniform, he highly doubted that what was essentially a cloth cape would take much longer. Even so, Braedon waited a good five minutes before he muttered "I'm done" from behind the screen. Jalai did the honors, and pulled the curtain back around the bed, showing that the 'patient' was ready. He was still on the bed, lying there, only out of the blankets now.

Grabbing a stethoscope from the wall hanger for them, the doctor passed it to Tali, and crossed back over to sit at the desk again, sipping more coffee. Time to see how she did. As far as he knew, most time spent back home was spent in animal form. While everyone in the pack had a human form, most of them didn't use them. It meant that she'd never probably handled this instrument before. Jalai had, though - and he recalled showing her how to use it once. So there was that. His gaze passed over to Yuki.

"Make sure to record anything you think the 'doctor' left out." he reminded him, reaching over to put a hand on his. "You're quiet right now."
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 10:15 PM

"Just making sure I don't miss anything," Yuki said, his pencil poised to write anything down that Tali would say, or that he felt she missed.  Tali fiddled with the stethoscope, trying to get a feel for it again.  She remembered Jalai showing her how to use it, however, so she placed the ear pieces in her ears, and placed the stethoscope head against his chest, where Jalai had instructed her to place it.  She looked at the clock, and held the stethoscope with her left hand, and her pen in her right hand.  When the second hand hit :00, she began to count in her head.

After a few seconds--fifteen, by her count--she drew a heart and quickly--almost sloppily--wrote, weird beating?, next to the heart.  After the minute passed, she wrote down what she counted, and then wrote, Picked up occasional irregularity in the heart beat.  Seems innocent enough...

Meanwhile, Yuki drew a line from the chest and wrote, Some sort of irregularity with heart beat?, but he couldn't be sure.  Tali's behavior seemed to indicate as much.

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Rainbowfox Ari » 10/25/2016 10:25 PM

Jalai knew exactly what she was hearing, but he opted to remain mum on the subject - as did Braedon. Medicine was nothing if not chock full of surprises - both nasty and non. Tali needed a taste of that, although he had argued against just leaving Brae's heart-murmur a surprise initially. Eventually, he'd been convinced.

Braedon was still and quiet throughout the exam, although - even with the acting - he was starting to feel a bit on the tired side. Fevers and the like drain energy the longer they're present, and he'd been on a shift before this. Because of that, he was fairly sleepy. Yawning slightly, although covering it with a hand, he peered over at the other in the room. Yuki. Jalai had said he was quiet, but he hadn't imagined he was THIS quiet. Time to stir something up. Once Tali was done listening and recording, he aimed a particularly scathing comment over toward the silent one. "Hey. You a doctor, or just a coathanger?" he asked, smirking. A low blow, but his own patients had called him far worse.
Rainbowfox Ari
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Ultimate Pet Tamer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby SpringsSong » 10/25/2016 10:34 PM

If any of Yuki's Lucain features were present, his ears would have gone flat, and his fur would've bristled up slightly at the comment.  However, after a few moments, he drew in a breath.

"Not a coat hanger, just making sure my lovely mate didn't miss anything, and waiting for the right moment to step in," Yuki said, standing up.  "Rest assured, I've been taking diligent notes on what both of my mates have said.  I believe Jalai was going to teach me how to take your blood pressure--unless you need a moment to rest," he said, noting how tired he looked.

Tali also noticed his fatigue, and made a note of it as well.  Turning to Jalai, she said, "His heart rate is... relatively normal, although... there was some sort of an irregularity that occurred from time to time.  I'm not fully sure what it's called, but I seem to recall Luminare referring to it as a... murmur, I think?"

"Human", Rag'n'Bone Man

SpringsSong
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate