With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

[Exploration] Military Meandering [L/M]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:34 PM

((Looking for a Jirbii; I'm not sure if they're still a thing, or if it's Lost pets. I'm a little unclear on it. Anywhooooo~))

After saying goodbye to Lew and Sid, both of whom had given her big hugs (and laughed at the way she’d stiffened up on contact, before awkwardly hugging them back), Sam had said her goodbyes to her replacement trainees. After spending a few days with her and realizing that she knew her stuff and wasn’t just some dead weight woman who would get people killed, they’d warmed up to her, and actually got along with her pretty well, despite her tendency to smack them from time to time.

Sam had finished saying her goodbyes (she refused to say that she teared up just a little) and hopped in the jeep to head back to Aldbourne, eager to get back to her own billet and get some good sleep. After her training with Sobel and the other medics, she was exhausted.

She now found herself standing in front of Captain Winters’ desk, bag slung over her shoulder.

“It’s good to have you back, sergeant.”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Re: [Exploration] Military Meandering

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:34 PM

Sam, no stranger to protocol, saluted Captain Winters sharply, a faint smile curling over her face. “It was an…interesting week, sir,” she hedged, and Winters shot her a knowing look. Lewis, who was lounging in one of the chairs in the office (did he ever do anything useful?), was smiling like the cat that caught the canary.

“Oh? And how was our good Captain Sobel, eh? Still an overbearing prick in need of an attitude adjustment?”

Sam shot him a disapproving look, which was echoed by Dick’s reprimand of: “Lew, you know better.”

“I wouldn’t say all that, sir. But it was tough,” Sam agreed, giving the barest of nods. Lewis and Dick could see the strain around her eyes, and practically felt the fatigue rolling off of her in waves. They doubted she’d slept much in the last week, and they could tell she was itching to get out of the office so she could go and get a good night’s rest.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:40 PM

“All right then, sergeant. Report back tomorrow at oh-nine-hundred hours, and we’ll get you all settled in with your new assignment before we discuss specifics about your delegation to Easy. The men have already been briefed about you, so there shouldn’t be any worries. They’ll just need to get to know you.” He shot Lew a look, and the intelligence officer raised his hand in a ‘I’m completely innocent in that’ gesture that Dick wasn’t buying for a second. “You know, sergeant,” Winters continued, sounding hesitant for once. It was enough to catch Sam’s immediate attention, despite her fatigue.

“You don’t have to accept this assignment. You can tell Sink that you’ll decline and would rather remain with your own regiment. What you’re about to do…well, there’s no small measure of danger, no matter how safe we try to keep you. All of our medics are unarmed, and they are often the ones who spend the most time dodging bullets. Are you really up for that?” When Sam seemed confused, Dick placed his hands on his desk, leaning forward. There was no joke or jest or amusement in his eyes; just cold, hard truth. “What I am saying, sergeant, is…are you okay with the possibility of dying? Because it’s a very real one if you accept your assignment with the 326th and attach yourself to our company.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:41 PM

Sam was taken aback by Dick’s candidness. She honestly hadn’t thought of it that way, not in those specific terms. Not in the ‘I might die’ way. She knew the battlefield would be a whole different story than what she was used to, but the thought of dying hadn’t crossed her mind. She’d been too preoccupied on the idea of being some use to someone, too tired from her new training and the jumps to really think over what her assignment really entailed. Could she really do it? Sam thought about Sidney and Lew, their smiles and good natured ribbing; she would do her damndest to make them proud of her.

Hopefully.

“I…Well, sir, thank you for your concern.” Even to her own ears, Sam sounded unsure. Can I do this? When the bullets started flying, can I run into them? Taking a deep breath, she decided that there was no reason she couldn’t try. “But I think I’ll be okay. I-I mean…I know I’m not as prepared as I could be, but if something happens…At least I’ll know that I tried. I think that’s the most I can expect of myself…sir.”

Winters watched her carefully, before he lowered his eyes, as if in defeat, and shook his head. “Sergeant, that’s admirable, I suppose. But if you have any misgivings…You’ll have a short opportunity to voice them. Let me know if you change your mind.” His tone indicated that he would very much like her to change her mind, but Sam was becoming more and more determined to do this. She supposed it was the Irish in her; stubborn, proud, and always eager to fight the odds.

“Of course, sir. I’ll let you know.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:41 PM

As Sam stepped out of the company HQ, she slipped her wool hat back onto her head; it was small enough to fit her head snugly, the little bill shading her eyes, and kept her bouncing curls in check. She was getting due for a haircut soon, she decided, shouldering her bag as she stepped out of the building and onto the street.

Despite how comfortable she’d gotten with the veteran medics and Lew and Sidney, it did feel good to be back in familiar territory. And though Sam hated to admit it, but she really did have to go see Lizzie before she did anything else, no matter how exhausted she was. She’d left without a word, not even daring to write a letter to her friend to explain her absence. When Lewis had asked her if she wanted him to tell Lizzie anything on the night of her departure, she’d remained stubbornly silent. Now she was feeling just a bit childish, and she regretted leaving without at least clearing the air between them. Lizzie was probably worried that Sam hated her, knowing her, and Sam didn’t want to leave her in a lurch like that.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:42 PM

Path determined, she started down the road and had only made it a few feet from the headquarters when a familiar group of soldiers up ahead caught her attention. They were laughing and joking easily with one another, and Sam silently cursed her luck. She did not want to run into Bill, Babe or Toye again, and the fact that they were surrounded by even more E company soldiers made her all the warier. Despite the fact that she’d soon be working very closely with them, she wanted to keep her distance as much as possible. Even the sight of the affable, and familiar Eugene did nothing to make her feel better about stumbling across them first thing upon her return.

She pulled her cap down lower on her forehead, eager to get past them and back to her quarters to talk to her friend and get some sleep. She was anticipating getting away quickly and easily; after all, blending in and being unobtrusive had become sort of her specialty. What she hadn’t counted on was for the whole damn group to stop walking past her and start walking with her.

“Shit,” she breathed, trying very, very hard to ignore the men who were now walking in a bunch around her. But being in the midst of a mob was a difficult thing to try to pretend away.

“How ya doin’, Sarge?” Bill questioned, the smirk crawling over his face making Sam’s skin shiver.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: [Exploration] Military Meandering [L/M]

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:43 PM

“I was doin’ good, Bill, until you guys came along,” Sam responded truthfully, her pace quickening. The men kept up with her easily, and she tried to ignore the way Eugene wheedled to the front of the pack, walking just at her elbow. His curious gaze was unnerving.

“Aw, geeze, ya wound me!” Bill cried dramatically, and Sam rolled her eyes under her cap. “So, besides having a good day without us, whatcha been up to? Doc here said he saw you coming back into camp in a jeep. And none of us has seen ya round here lately.”

There was a sudden jerk on her bag, and the weight was suddenly lifted from her shoulders. Sam snapped backward, looking surprised, before she whirled on the offender. A guilty looking Luz was smirking down at her, holding her bag over his shoulder. “Give it back,” she demanded, eyes narrowing. Jesus, she was so damn tired. She didn’t have time for their bullshit.

“Nah, not ‘til ya tell us what ya been up to, Sam,” Bill intoned with a cheeky grin.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:44 PM

“I’ve been fucking jumping out of planes, running through the mud, patching up dummies and training new medics, sergeant,” Sam snapped, so suddenly that the men seemed taken aback, and actually paused for a moment. “And debating on whether or not I want to take my new assignment with the 326th because I don’t know if I want to follow you guys around Europe and deal with this bullshit all the time.” She paused, and added as an afterthought. “Respectfully.”

“The 326th?” she heard Eugene ask quietly beside her, and she jumped at how close he sounded, turning to face him. He was, really, the only one she could take seriously in a circle full of grinning idiots. “What…what does that mean, Miss Branigan?”

“It means that I’m going to be working with you from- wait. What?”

“What?”

“Did you call me ‘miss’?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:45 PM

“Um…” Eugene’s eyes darted to the side quickly, flashbacks of being pinned beneath a scrawny kid who punched like the devil running through his mind. “Sorry, I didn’t mean tuh. Won’t happen again. I swear!”

Sam’s shoulders drooped, and she let her head hang for a second, her whole body debating on following so she could just lay on the ground and let the earth swallow her whole. First Sidney and Lew, and now Eugene and every-fucking-one else, apparently. Her gaze darted, accusingly, to Joe, Bill and Babe, all of whom had innocent expressions on their faces.

“Hey, we didn’t say nothin’,” Toye informed her, holding up his hands in a placating gesture. “Your nurse friend let it slip in front of some of the guys. They sorta just put two and two together.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:45 PM

Bill was muttering something about it being unfair that Sam wasn’t attacking Gene like she had him, but she ignored him. “Geeze,” she muttered, adjusting her cap self-consciously. “Fine, okay. Ya know. And now it’s all there, out in the open. Hurray. Yippee. So can I have my bag back? I’ve got things to do.” Everyone was bound to find out eventually; Winters had mentioned something about the men being briefed about her, right? Or had he?

“Wait though,” Luz said, still holding the bag out of reach, even though Sam was grasping for it. “So you’re with the 326th and you’re coming with us? So does that mean you’ll be like one of our medics? Like the Doc here?” He jerked his thumb at Eugene, who still looked faintly troubled. Sam tried to ignore the way the medic was gazing pensively at her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:46 PM

“Yeah, something like that. Nixon said ‘field nurse, medic or whatever the hell you wanna call it.’ So I guess that means I am coming with you.” Her expression was still sour, suddenly reconsidering her acceptance of the assignment. She could just tell Winters she was declining, and stay nice and safe and un-hassled here in England, with her supplies. “Since the 326th took a hit, they need people to fill boots and Sink wants to see if women can cut it in combat. So here I am. And lucky me, I get to go with you guys. That’s why I was gone; I was jumping out of planes at Chilton Foliat and helping train new medics for the 326th and other companies.”

The men who had trained with Sobel all exchanged looks, grimaces written on their faces; they knew who was commanding officer at Foliat.

Sam huffed, eager to get going. “Look, I’m exhausted. I don’t give a good god damn what you want to do with your day, as long as you leave me out of it. So can I have my bag back, now?”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:46 PM

“This-” Muck exclaimed, reaching forward to throw a companionable arm around Sam’s shoulders (she was going to break the hand of the next person who did that, she swore up and down) “-is exactly what I imagined when Eugene told me you beat him up when you were a kid. Ya got spunk. I like that! So, should we start callin’ you ‘Doc’ too? Or how about ‘nurse’?”

Sam was about halfway to considering punching him in the gut and leaving, but decided against it. She was going to be spending the next who-knew-how-many months with these men; they were the ones with the guns. They would be responsible for her safety. She might as well try not to break something in one of them. At the very least.

“No way. How about I call you ‘nurse’?” she questioned in a growl, and Muck nearly fell over from the surprise, before recovering quick enough to burst into uncontrollable laughter. He used Sam to keep himself standing.

“I like you, Sammy, I sure as heck do!” he crowed, not seeing the exhaustion and stress that was coloring the fact of the young woman beside him. “It’s a deal. You can call me ‘nurse’ anytime you want.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 01/29/2017 10:47 PM

Eugene, who was still watching carefully, pried Sam’s bag from Luz, who didn’t put up much of a fight to keep it. “All right, all right,” he said good naturedly, waving his hands to shoo Muck away from the diminutive sergeant. “I think Sam needs some rest. If she really was at Chilton Foliat, then she could probably use a whole god damned weeks’ worth of it.” When Muck tried to protest, Eugene silenced him with a look. “I’ll escort th’ good sergeant back to quarters. The rest of you, clear off and go cause trouble elsewhere, ya hear?”

The men didn’t seem too eager to comply, but with a stern glance from their medic, they slowly cleared off, ambling down the cobblestone street to their original destination: the bar. They waved as they went, calling back goodbyes and cheeky comments that Sam ignored in favor of putting her face in her hands. Eugene watched them go fondly, before he turned back to Sam, who was now staring at the ground.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“You okay, sarge?” he asked softly, and Sam’s eyes lifted to meet his. He was taken aback by how tired she looked, and wondered if it was her week’s training or the company of a group of unfamiliar men that was causing the strain he saw hidden in the depths of her blue eyes. Concern overwhelmed him; he could say that he might not have been so worried if she’d been another man in the company. He’d have done what he could to help, sure, but the worry he felt for her had multiplied tenfold for a few reasons.

The first and foremost was that she was a woman. If what she’d told them was true about her joining the 326th and Easy in the field, then he wasn’t sure he really liked that news. People like Sam, no matter how tough, didn’t need to be caught up in all that shit.

The second reason he was more concerned was because he found he genuinely liked her. She was a tough, scrappy thing, and even when they’d been kids, she’d had a reputation for being the best fighter in town. She’d never backed down, and never given up. He admired her for it, and he found that he really did like that about her.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The last reason was because she reminded him of home. As silly as it sounded, every little thing that reminded him of his home in the states felt precious to him, and there were very few things in England, or in Europe in general that reminded the Cajun of Louisiana. Sam was an unexpected breath of fresh and familiar air, and he wanted to keep her that way. He couldn’t very well do that if she was dead.

“I’m okay, Eugene. Thanks,” she replied tiredly, reaching out a hand for her bag. He stubbornly refused to give it to her, and saw her jaw set, and her eyes narrow as she glared up at him. “You can give that back now.”

“Nuh-uh, sarge. I’m carryin’ it for ya. You lead the way, and I’ll follow. Sound good?”

It didn’t sound like a suggestion to Sam, and her eyes narrowed further as she straightened up. “Eugene, you can call me Sam. I don’t care either way. And I want to make something very clear right now; just because you know I’m a woman, doesn’t mean you’re going to start acting like-” She waved her hands, indicating what he was doing in a vague flapping gesture. “-this. So don’t.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Next