With temperatures rising over 143°C (289.40°F) in most areas, the only relief is during the nights when it is much cooler. All travelers are advised to keep to the local towns on the desert's outskirts and avoid traveling too far from civilization. (+3 Endurance, +2 Defense)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Wilt'no Desert

Re: [Exploration] Back to the Barracks

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:26 PM

Sam scowled, getting jostled by the women who rushed past her. A few even tried to kiss her, mistaking her for a man (an easy mistake), and she suffered the cheek kissing admirably. The moment the crowd started getting larger, however, her hand shot out and latched onto the strap of Eugene’s bag.

Feeling the resistance as he tried to move forward, Gene turned just in time to see Sam’s frantic eyes as she was nearly swallowed in a group hug from three women, all eager to welcome the American soldiers into their town. He hid a grin as he reached in and carefully pried the women off of her, ignoring, quite valiantly, the kisses on his own cheeks from other women gathered around them. “’Scuse me, ladies,” he drawled, pulling Sam from the pack. She shot him a grateful look that was half mortified and half terrified, and he smothered his laughter for her sake. “You all right, Sam?” he asked, noting that Muck and the others hadn’t been much help; they were too busy being assailed by women of their own.

“Fine,” Sam responded, though Eugene noticed she sounded flustered. Her cheeks were smeared with lipstick, and he watched her wipe it away in annoyance with the sleeve of her uniform.

“Let’s try and keep moving, huh?”

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

+Imp. Documents+ +Menagerie+ +Wishlist+ +Journal+
MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Keystones: 10
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:27 PM

Gene reached out and grabbed her hand, not noticing the way Sam’s eyes widened and then narrowed, a blush creeping up her neck as he tugged her along behind him. He could hear Malarkey, Muck and Penkala making their own path just behind her, loudly greeting women with enthusiastic kisses of their own. “Gene,” he heard Sam mutter, and he strained to hear her over the noise. “What’s going on? Is this normal?”

He could honestly say that he didn’t think it was. Eindhoven had been under German occupation for some time, though, so maybe they were just glad the Germans were gone. Still, this seemed almost over-enthusiastic. They were acting like the war was already won.

I love adventurous tales like that. That uplifting feeling that comes from seeing unknown lands and the knowledge that you came across—nothing can replace it! It opens a path from which self-confidence, experience, and important friendships—from the sharing of life or death situations—are born! But hearing it just isn’t the same. I want to create my own magnificent story!

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“I don’t rightly know,” Eugene admitted, blazing a path through the singing, celebrating masses. “Maybe they’re just happy we’re here. If I’d had to sit around and stare at a bunch of Germans as long as they have, I’d probably be celebratin’ too. Come on.” He turned to look over his shoulder, watching the small woman struggle to keep up and follow in his wake. “You sure you’re all right?” he asked, quite frankly more amused than concerned about her predicament. He saw her flush a dark red, mumbling something under her breath as her hand tightened on his. “What was that, cher?”

“Shut up, Gene. Just keep moving,” she grouched, ignoring his laughter as he headed the group, brought up by Muck, Penkala and Malarkey (who were slow going, to be honest and not trying too hard to keep up).

The distant shouts of lieutenant Peacock as he told his men to “Keep moving!” spurred them forward, and they made their way through the crowd, towards the edge of town.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

"So, first day treating you all right?”

Sam looked up from the foxhole she and Eugene had managed to dig at the softly spoken question from Skip Muck. The foxhole wasn’t much; it was shallow, but just enough to cover them and sleep comfortably in. Many of the other men had dug their own foxholes to sleep in, though some sprawled about here and there in the haystacks.

“It was okay,” Sam blurted quickly as Muck, Penkala, Malarkey and Luz traipsed towards them, settling down around the edge of the shallow foxhole. “And don’t you guys have your own foxholes to go to? Get out of ours.” She said it with enough humor for them to know she was only joking, and Muck scooted towards her, leaning on her shoulder. She tried to shrug him off, but he merely grinned, using her as a pillow. Even her scowl wasn’t enough to deter him. On the other side of the hole, Eugene shifted uncomfortably.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:28 PM

“Yeah, this is pretty…not normal,” Penk admitted, digging around in his pack. “Normally, we have people shooting at us. But today we get kisses instead. I really like Holland a hell of a lot better than France.”

“I am with ya on that,” Luz remarked, reaching over and swiping a chocolate bar from Penk’s pack. “’Ey, Sam, ya want some?” He held out the candy, and Sam looked at it as if it was a live grenade. “Oh, come on. It ain’t gonna bite. Just take some.”

Tentatively, she reached forward, breaking off a chunk of the bar. George offered some to Gene, who also broke a piece off, his eyes a lot less wary than Sam’s. He took a bite, as if to prove to her that it wasn’t poison, and didn’t look away until she had taken a bite of her own.

“Jesus, kid. You sure are jumpy around us, aren’t you? Is it cuz I swiped yer pack when you came back from training? Or what?” Luz remarked, and Muck gave him a light kick with his boots. “I’m just sayin’.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:29 PM

“Aw, it’s really cuz your big mouth scares everyone away,” Muck quipped, getting far too comfortable using her as a pillow for Sam’s liking. “Now, take me for example. I am the picture of innocent, boyish charms and good looks.”

“Is that what that is?” Malarkey joked, winking at Sam. “And here I thought it was your bad sense of comedic timing that had the girls all flocking your way.”

“That too.”

Sam snorted, beginning to feel faintly at ease as she sat in the foxhole, chewing her Hershey bar and quietly listening to the banter of the men around her. She felt the dirt shift just beside her, and turned to see Eugene had moved places, settling down on the side not occupied by a lazy Muck. “Uh, hey,” Sam greeted, not sure why he’d felt the need to move closer.

“Hey yo’self. Listen, you need to get some shut eye. I have a feelin’ things won’t be as easy tomorrow as they was today.” He indicated Muck, who had glanced up at Eugene with a cheeky grin. “You want me to kick him off for ya? He’s like a barnacle when he gets a mind to be.”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

“Hey, I resent that remark.”

“You mean you resemble it,” Gene shot back, and the circle laughed quietly, before the soft-spoken medic fixed her with a look that told her he was serious. “I mean it. Get some sleep. And the rest of you head back to your foxholes. This one ain’t big enough for all of you. Get some rest, go to sleep, read a book, whatever you wanna do. Doctor’s orders.”

With a lot of grumbling, and a shove from Sam when Muck tried to give her a hug goodnight, the men finally cleared out, ambling back to their foxholes in the dark. Sam shifted, sliding down into the comfort of the dirt, her bag behind her as a pillow as Eugene slid into the hole beside her. “‘Doctor’s orders,’ huh?” she asked, raising an eyebrow in the dark, though she knew he couldn’t see. “I’ll have to remember that one.”

Gene tapped the cross on his arm. “Does have its perks. Now get some shut-eye. You’re gonna need it.” He nudged her with his shoulder. “Don’t worry Sam. I’ll keep an eye and an’ ear out. It’ll be fine.” Sam nodded silently, pushing the thought of tomorrow from her mind.

Right now, she just needed some sleep.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

The next morning, Eugene led Sam through the ditches towards Nuenen, careful to keep off the road. They traipsed along behind some of the other men of Easy who elected to walk in the ditch, while many men strolled in the fields or on the road, or even rode along on the tanks. He wasn’t a fool, and when Sam had asked why they weren’t riding the tanks or walking on the road, he had smiled and shrugged. “Easiest way to get killed,” he admitted, ignoring the surprise on her face. “Cover can be the only thing between you and gettin’ shot. Why tempt fate?” She was going to have to start thinking smarter, especially when in combat.

Gene couldn’t say that he wasn’t worried. He felt like yesterday was the calm before the storm, and today felt like it was poised on the edge of a knife, ready to tumble over into a nightmare at the drop of a hat. He knew that something bad could happen at any moment, and when the shit hit the fan, he at least wanted her in sight, or, if not in sight, then he wanted her to think like a soldier and not a frightened girl. Whatever he could do to improve her odds, he aimed to do it. Eugene couldn’t stop her from being here, but he could do what he could to keep her safe.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Gene could hear the soldiers joking and laughing with one another up ahead; the tanks rattled on, further up than he was, and he knew there was one or two replacement medics between himself, Sam and the front of the line. He wondered how well they’d been trained, wondered how well they’d fair in combat.

And then he got his answer in the sound of a gunshot and the cries of the men.

“MEDIC UP FRONT!”

The sound of Bull Randleman’s deep bellow made Eugene jump, muscles already working to get himself forward, when he felt a strong hand latch itself onto his arm. “Gene!” someone shouted in his ear, and he turned to see Sam’s wide eyes gazing up at him. “They got it, Gene! We have to stay low, keep moving!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:30 PM

Despite the instinct to answer the call, Eugene could already see that one of the medics had responded to Bull’s shout, and he jerked a faint nod in Sam’s direction. “Right! Stay low!” He grabbed her arm, running at a crouch through the ditch behind the rest of the company. He could hear the sound of machine guns up ahead as the tanks rolled along the road, eager to be put to use. It was almost laughably silent for a moment, and Eugene dropped to the ground, feeling Sam do the same just behind him, her breathing loud and ragged in his ear.

He glanced over his shoulder, catching sight of her wide, blue eyes. She was scared, that much he knew. He wanted to tell her it would be all right, but he didn’t want to make promises he couldn’t keep. “Just stick close, okay?” he managed at last, just before there seemed to be an explosion of sound around them.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 03/31/2017 10:30 PM

Bullets flew by, whizzing through the dirt, pinging off the metal of the tanks or helmets angled just right. Everything seemed to fade away and Gene was no longer primarily concerned about Sam; his main focus was now the men, those who were hit by the flying bullets, lying where they had fallen. His body was up and moving before he gave it a second thought, senses tuned to the battle around him as he ran. Mortars exploded, men were screaming, and he could see the dirt and debris flying into the air all around him.

He knew that peaceful façade wouldn’t last long, and now, here he was, dodging debris, trying to make his way through the streets of a small town in Holland, searching for the dead and dying.

It was only when he slammed against a wall, back pressed tightly to the bricks, that he realized he was alone. His heart stuttered in his chest as his eyes searched frantically for Sam, but he didn’t have the time to look for her. Not now. His attention was diverted by Lieutenant Peacock and Hoobler beside him, pressed to the self-same wall, talking about someone being wounded but still alive. His training kicked in, and Sam was pushed to the back of his mind.

“Who’s hurt?!”

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby MillietheWarrior » 04/16/2017 6:37 PM

How she managed to get separated from Eugene was a mystery to her; he was there one moment, and when she turned around, he was gone. Panic lanced through her, and she stood frozen to the stop in indecision. Where had Gene gone? Where should she go? Should she follow him? What if she needed his help? Despite the questions flooding her mind, Sam knew that she didn’t have a moment to think about it. Her only concern was not getting shot, and her second concern were the men who were.

A great adventure!

MillietheWarrior
Globetrotter
Globetrotter
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby .:Random Event:. » 04/20/2017 11:35 PM

A cold wind cut over the desert, stirring up little eddies of sand  along the ground. The few scrubby bushes scattered throughout the landscape weathered the gust without much fuss, having had the sense to grow dense and close to the ground. A pair of Iridescent Wings fluttered in the wind, snagged upon a particularly spiny bush. Upon closer inspection, there was a hole hidden beneath the foliage. Eyes glinted in the darkness, watching warily.
Season in Effect: Winter

Please don't PM me without a good reason, otherwise I'll just ignore you!
.:Random Event:.
Surprise!
Surprise!
Pets | Items
Keystones: 627
Donate

Previous