While the waters close to the shore are tropical, Freighlei grows colder the further south you go. Very few areas are covered in ice, travelers are advised to watch out for icebergs. Because of the temperatures, the water is surprisingly clear! (+2 stat of choice)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Freighlei Ocean

for the coin (self) (quest)

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 3:16 AM

While it was undeniably frigid this far south of Barakka, the ocean gave back in bountry that it borrowed from their suffering.  Money like this didn't come easily;  Aina wouldn't let the opportunity pass her by.  How many ships have found their doom lying in wait as they were too foolish to consider the dangers of the Freighlei Ocean.

Not her.  It was time to capitalize on what was rotting under these clear waters.  Any sound person would have been swayed by the creatures that called this ocean their home but Aina only saw a challenge.  A challenge she would win.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | A-2

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 3:29 AM

"Steer carefully now, boys.  If you crash my ship, you'll go down with it."  Hell, they all would, but the threat sounded better without that part.  It wouldn't be the first time that Aina had thrown her crew to the wolves when they didn't stay in line.  That's what came with being a Captain in charge of a dozen unruly pirates.  A mutual hate for authority lead them all to this life but they had to fall in line underneath her.

Arms crossed, Aina watched over the deck.  They were all itching for the loot and danger that was lying underneath the waves.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | S-1

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 2:38 PM

Skinner wasn't an actual member of the crew.  He moonlighted on different ships under different aliases,
titles and occupations.  This time it was something of a treasure hunter.  However, he doubted there was much to be looted from ships crashed into icebergs but ... money was money.  Who was he to fight where the gossip sent him?

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | S-2

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 2:46 PM

He hung in the crows nest with a boy who looked like he'd drift right off if the wind was too strong.  Better vantage up here, with the added advantage of being farther from Aina.  She ruled with an iron fist that he didn't care for.  He wasn't on this ship as a member of her crew; he was here as a consultant.  He wouldn't let her push him around.  

As they neared their destination and Aina began barking out orders, Skinner slid down the ropes with a surprising grace in order to reach the deck.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | A-3

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 3:04 PM

"One of these days you'll die doing that and I'll finally be free of ya," Aina spoke without looking at Skinner as he came up to her side.  He was little more than a necessary nuisance.  That man always had good intel regarding ships that needed to be raided and what needed to be smuggled.

This was something they weren't accustomed too.  It was in the faces of the crew; they would much rather be sailing on open waters, pistols blazing and canons firing than trying to find something that could very well be nothing in the blue.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) - S3

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 4:55 PM

"You'll miss a pretty face like mine," Skinner retorted easily.  Aina was prone to playing favorites but also had a characteristic lack of remorse.  She'd happily throw them all into the curb if it was to save her first mate.  

Rolling up the loose, white sleeves of his blouse, he considered the iceberg looming above them. “There's a veritable trove of ships underneath here.”

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) S-4

Postby Icy Rose » 07/31/2017 1:27 AM

"No good to us when they're still down below," Skinner mused.  The dive to retrieve the goods would not be an easy one; the cold was just as frigid, if not even more so, than the air surrounding them.  They only had the proper equipment for three people to go down.  That was plenty, but it nursed some fear about what lurked in the depths.  Creatures in the deep were not always friendly.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | A-4

Postby Icy Rose » 07/31/2017 1:30 AM

Aina scoffed.  "You're always talk.  I'd bet my hide there is barely enough to cover your share."  She was even surprised by the hint of humor in her talk.  Straightening her back and clearing her throat, the Captain attempted to return to her classic demeanor.  She snapped her fingers and commanded, "Get it ready."  A cabin boy immediately scuttled to boxes laid out on the neck and began passing out gear to Aina's first mate and two other trusted crew members.  "Of course, your cut would be larger if you'd go in yourself."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | S-5

Postby Icy Rose » 07/31/2017 1:36 AM

Skinner waved his hand absently, "I offer information.  No more, no less." At least this time around.  Skinner didn't mind dirting his hands with another, more scandalous things but he drew the line at swimming in freezing cold water.  Best leave those things to people below him. "I don't dirty my hands." A big grin was offered to the Captain as he turned to the crew, arms wide, exclaiming "Who's ready for payday?"

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: for the coin (self) (quest) | A-5

Postby Icy Rose » 07/31/2017 1:40 AM

Aina rolled her eyes.  Always a flair for the dramatic, that one.  In all the years of knowing him, he had hardly changed.  Still the same, lopsided fool with a focus for only one thing.  A woman such as herself knew that a life like that could only prop you up for so long.  Eventually, it would crumble beneath him.

Ignoring the cheers that some men gave Skinner, the Captain approached the men putting on their gear.  "This is a simple job.  You go in, get what you can, and you get out."  They nodded.  "Any sign of trouble and you get the hell out of there."  They nodded again, but she could sense the stiffness in their shoulders.  Apprehension would do them no favors.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate