The Fe'gan Mountains are the highest, coldest mountains Lambastia has to offer, with the highest peak recorded at 8589 m (28,179 ft). Only the toughest creatures survive here, and the trek to get to the Basantha Shrine lays through these harsh conditions. (+3 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Fe'gan Mountains

We're Just Looking {P,M:L,V?}

Postby Saahs » 07/29/2017 2:03 PM

The excavation camp had been set up several hours ago, and progress had already been started at the mountain's base. The team was there searching for a supposed relic of an old religion that involved the old ways of druidism, but who could be for sure that was what it was really for?

Vlor'ov, or Dianne as it was under alias as, was absolutely certain it was both true... and a far cry from the truth.

One of its minions had given a vague location to where the pendant had been long since lost, it was somewhere, somewhere in this mountain range. Dianne looked up to the mountains, pulling the fur-lined coat closer around herself. Her long brown hair was tucked into the coat's hood, and snowflakes were brushed off of her tanned, freckled cheeks.
when that light goes out this eve,
some will run, and some will grieve.

if you have a reason, or if you believe,
in darkness we trust.

the whores and gentlemen, they lead,
trails of insecurities.

i am not a watchman, i do as i please.

in darkness i trust.

About/Journal | Zoo Pen | Documents | Wishlist
Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Keystones: 1122
Donate

Re: We're Just Looking {P,M:L,V?}

Postby Icy Rose » 07/30/2017 2:01 AM

The Fe'gan mountains were just as unfriendly as she remembered.  She had made the pilgrimage up to the Basantha shrine once before - not for religion, but for understanding.  An understanding of what the pilgrims did when they finally reached that sacred temple.  What did that temple even look like, buried underneath layers and layers of ice?  Who built it?  What was to those relics that were allegedly god-touched?  What power, if any, laid beneath the surface?

Beatrix pulled the hood of her coat further down, gloved hands fumbling for grip.  The mountains loomed above them.  The expedition that laid ahead of them was brewing a nervousness in her stomach that she didn't want to think about any longer.  It was the first time that she was on one of these - a real expedition! In the mountains!  Last time, which happened to be the first time, could barely be called an expedition.  It was barely a dig.

This was the big leagues.  Finally!  Time to finally become the Beatrix she always wanted to be.  

"It's bloody cold, huh?"  Beatrix saddled up to the woman admiring the mountains.  With her hood pulled up, nothing but her face peeked out from the black fluff cupping her dark features.  "It's not even that bad.  It gets worse."  A heavy sigh followed that statement.  "So much worse.  

Cupping her hands and exhaling hot breath onto her gloves, Beatrix contemplated what laid ahead of them.  "Think we'll find anything?"  Half of what they did was discovering a strange looking rock and arguing over whether or not it was important.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Postby Saahs » 07/30/2017 6:25 PM

Dianne turned her head to the other woman, eyes widening a little in unspoken surprise. But after a pause she flashed a little smile, bobbing her head up and down in a nod. "It's horrible, I'm still used to way milder weather," she responded, hugging herself a little to keep some of her warmth to herself. It didn't do much good, and she continued to shiver quietly where she sat.

Leaning to the side, she gave the mountains looming over them a look over, and then a second look over. The faux persona Vlor'ov had created couldn't help but feel intimidated by their size. She couldn't even see the tops of them. But they felt right. Something about these mountains felt welcoming-- beckoning, even, to her. There was something here that they needed to find. That Vlor'ov needed to find. Would it also find whatever poor little creature had stumbled upon its quarry those years ago as well? It would have Dianne find out for it.

The young woman turned her attention back to her expedition partner. "I hope so," she murmured, before chuckling sheepishly. "I think I'll be embarrassed if we don't find anything, just standing around an ordinary rock or something in coats three times our size like sad lumps." After a snort, she went quiet for a moment. Dianne's head tilted, and she mused lightly, "Though, I suppose that makes up a third of what we do, doesn't it?"

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 07/31/2017 1:58 AM

Beatrix was a victim of impermanence.  While this temperature felt unbearably cold, cracking her lips and bringing a red tone to her cheeks, once she got higher up into the mountains she would miss this relatively normal weather.  She'd moan and complain about how the Wilt'no desert would be better than this though she'd do the exact same sob story if she were there.

Laughing, she responded, "I bet half the time we make something big out of ordinary rocks."  

Beatrix sighed happily.  "Imagine, at our age, we find something extraordinary."  They'd go down in history!  They'd be written about in articles and journals and books... the opportunities were endless.  Invitations to travel to Barakka to speak about findings.  Lectures in front of aspiring colleagues.

Giving herself a shake, Beatrix tried to return to the present.  It was so easy to get lost in daydreams.  Offering her companion a heavy silver glove, the olive skinned woman beamed, "I'm Beatrix.  I'm excited to discover something with you."  The confidence shown in her eyes and her voice as she added, "I feel good about this one.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/01/2017 4:20 PM

"That's a fair point," Dianne agreed with another meek little laugh, bringing a gloved hand up to pull her scarf up over her reddened nose. With a sniffle, she mumbled, "If we do find something important, though, I just hope it's not while my nose is as red and this runny. Her head tilted back up and her cheeks tensed from an unseen smile. "But either way, I hope we do! Our names would be on plaques and everything!"

She watched as Beatrix stared off wistfully, blinking a few times before trying to cup her hands over her face to preserve at least some semblance of heat. It didn't work. So, another distraction from the chill was welcomed when the other young woman spoke up again. Smiling again, her hand was extended to shake Beatrix's. "I'm Dianne, Dianne Blair. I look forward to being on this excavation with you!"

Once more her attention was drawn up to the mountains. They were calling, they practically hummed with the song of Vlor'ov's destiny. And the destiny of even greater things. Nodding her head, Dianne sighed and leaned forward with her elbows propped on her knees. "Yeah, I have a good feeling, too. This is going to be a wonderful discovery."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Re: We're Just Looking {P,M:L,V?} | B-3

Postby Icy Rose » 08/03/2017 6:39 PM

Shaking her companions hand with conviction, Beatrix was beaming.  It was hard to hide the excitement that played along her features even though they were buried underneath furs and layers.  A little proud at herself for sticking a leg out in an attempt at getting to know her colleagues.  They don't bite, she'd tell herself. What is there to worry about?

Beatrix crossed her arms.  "The mountain range is vast," she mused.  They both knew that, but for some reason she felt it necessary to repeat.  "There could be so much up there that we don't know about." What else was sleeping, encrusted with ice?  

How much would they find down here?  "Everything we should be looking for is up there."  A hand extending to point at the peaks of the range ahead of them.  "There won't be anything other than broken pots down here."  Nothing with real substance.  Nothing that would be a grand discovery.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/05/2017 12:01 AM

Dianne's hands clasped together in her lap as she hunched over, still trying in vain to conserve more body heat than she already was and possibly could. Her expression hardened as she simply brought her knees up to her chest and curled up. Which, yes, it worked, but now she looked like a fur line lump in a camping chair. But despite her futile efforts to not become a popsicle, there was still a glint of enthusiasm and anticipation in her eyes.

In response to Beatrix's rather obvious remark, she hummed in agreement, nodding her head slowly as she scanned the numerous mountains that lay on the horizon, then landing upon the one they stood at the very foot of. "Wouldn't it be quite the thing, if we discovered even more than we came here for?" She turned her head to peer at Beatrix with young, hopeful eyes.

But she turned her gaze back to the mountain, head tipped back as she thought. "Yeah," she breathed, any other words that would have followed trailing off into silence. The excavation would likely prepare to move up the mountain in due time, but... She needed to be up there. Now. Not tomorrow, not next week. Now. "We can't be up there soon enough, it feels like this is going to take so long, I can't wait."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/08/2017 1:55 AM

It was comforting to get to talk to someone who had the same idyllic dreams that Beatrix did.  She had always been a dreamer; imagining a vast future that was waiting just for her.  That was why she traveled whenever she could and took opportunities that no one wanted (like this one) because of the places it would take her.  What could you do, what could you find, if you never went anywhere at all?

Beatrix laughed and said, "It won't get anywhere while we sit around here, I guess!"  She walked a few steps before turning back on her heels to face Dianne.  "Maybe some work will take our mind off the cold."  It was mostly a jest.  A cold like this wouldn't be ignored, no matter how hard they tried.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/11/2017 6:08 PM

Dianne watched as Beatrix stood up and meandered a few feet ahead, eyes widening a little. Then she couldn't help but giggle sheepishly and blurt, "You can't be serious!" Although a part of her was intrigued by the idea of just rushing up the mountain side with no regard to the many, many risks that they would face. She shook her head once she concluded that it was a mere joke, and pushed herself up to her feet as well. "Yeah, sitting around won't get anything but dreaming done, hmm?"

She peered around the camp, pointing to a tent with a table visibly set up inside. There were people standing around it too, talking to one another. "Let's see if they need any help with mapping out a climbing trail?" A small grin plastered on her face. "Since we're looking forward to climbing up there so much."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/15/2017 11:10 PM

She pondered the suggestion for a few moments before she decidedly agreed.  Beatrix chuckled as she responded, "You're right.  The least we could do is offer some help if we're gonna ask them to charge up into the mountains."  

Beatrix offered her arm to her new friend Dianne and said, "Lets go!"  The excitement in her voice was barely concealed.  She was more than happy to dig in and get her hands dirty.  The less time she stood around twiddling her thumbs the better.  A little down time to make friends, perhaps, but there was adventure out there!  Dianne had a great idea and it only brought her more restlessness.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 08/17/2017 10:12 PM

Dianne started to nod her head with a smile, but then blinked as Beatrix offered her arm to her. It took Vlor'ov a moment to rifle through the existence of mankind to figure out just what this one was wanting, but then once that was settled, Dianne's smile widened and she hooked arms with the other woman. "And who knows, maybe if we help they'll let us go up first!" she joked as they approached the tent.

Ducking her head down as she tucked in through the entrance, inside the tent was only a couple people-- one of the cartographers, and one of the translators. The latter of which, seemed less interested in the map than the former. She was fairly tall, though her build was hard to tell thanks to the hefty layers of coats and jackets she was burrowed into. But her skin was dark and vibrant with life, small freckles pinpricking her cheeks. She had short ringlets of black hair, and possibly the brightest green eyes that was legal.

And those eyes flicked over to the two as they entered the tent, and from under her scarf she grinned. Disregarding what the cartographer was saying, she waved to the pair. "Aha! Come to help out with all this?" she chimed, her voice a melodic boom, and she gestured to the map on the fold-up table standing in the middle of the room.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/20/2017 11:11 PM

Her face would be aching by the end of the day.  Her mother always told her that she'd get terrible wrinkles from how much smiling she did.  Beatrix would never be able to contain her excitement and ambition, however.  She leaked it and when she was around people who shared the same passion as her?  It was all that much worse.  "If only!"  Maybe they'd send them up first just to be someone's bait... she'd probably do it anyway.

Beatrix's eyes widened with her first glance at the map.  She quickly spout out, "Yes!"  Almost immediately an embarrassment settled in and she cleared her throat.  In a more serious tone, "I'm Beatrix and this is Dianne." Now that her (rushed) introductions were done, she inched closer and closer to the map and to get a better look.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 09/02/2017 12:57 PM

It seemed Beatrix and this woman had something in common, as her wide grin only got that much wider, dimples peeking out from under her scarf as she looked the pair over curiously. "I've spotted you guys in the group," she remarked, shaking her head. "Surprised we haven't actually met 'till now." But with a shrug, she just laughed at that fact.

Dianne stood behind Beatrix, watching things transpire less so than she was peering over her shoulder at the map. But her attention was stolen away as the curly haired lady spoke up again.

"Beatrix! You can call me Sabelya." With a singsong tone to her voice, Sabelya offered her hand to Beatrix to shake. And once that was done with, she leaned back to give Dianne a good stare, lips pulled into a bright smirk. "Come on, come on, don't be shy, lil' Dianne! I don't bite, unless you ask." She snickered, and gestured for Beatrix to have at the map as she pleased.

Clearing her throat, Dianne stammered, "Oh-- uh! It's nice to meet you, Sabelya." And with that, she skittered over to loom over the map like a nosy vulture.

The map in question was that of the mountain itself, with a more large-scale map of the entire region resting beneath it. From the looks of it, there appeared to be... no easy ways up the mountain. Not even moderately challenging. No, this was likely going to be extremely difficult.

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 09/06/2017 11:42 PM

"I'm pleased to meet you, Sabelya!" What a beautiful name.  Maybe she could change her name to something as pretty as that one day.  She supposed Beatrix would have to do for now.

Beatrix bit her lip as she looked at the grandiose map laid out in front of her.  She peered at it, squinting more and more as she walked up and down it.  "Oh boy," she complained quietly.  Beatrix was never much for physical activity.  She was more about reading and ... reading.  It looked like it would almost certainly involve climbing.  Lots of it.  

With a hand under her chin, Beatrix asked, "Have you narrowed it down at all?"  Even if they had crossed out half of the mountains as a waste of resources it would save days if not weeks.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Saahs » 09/07/2017 1:47 PM

Sabelya smiled back at Beatrix, showing off her pearly whites in a wide grin that almost twinkled as much as her eyes. "And it's lovely as daisies in a field to meet you, too," she chimed, bobbling her head side to side joyfully. Her attention followed after Beatrix and Dianne as they both inspected the map.

The cartographer, on the other hand, took this opportunity to speak up. He stepped forward, hand raising to lift a matter of fact finger, then gestured to a part of the mapped mountain, tracing a complex trail up its eastern side. "Far as the climbers have told me, this path they've supposedly found is the easiest route. And from what miss Sabelya's told me, the locals in the village about half a mile from here swear on their lives that this mountain is the one we're looking for." With that, he glances to Sabelya with a doubtful frown.

To which she made a criss cross motion over her chest. "On my life, too, this is the one. The lead is certain of it as well, I'll tell you that right now."

in darkness we trust.

trails of insecurities.

in darkness i trust.

Saahs
Celebrity Explorer
Celebrity Explorer