A city of white and silver, doctors from all over the world come to converge here and find work. Hospitals of all kinds decorate the white walkways of the city. There are many notable ones you can visit if your pet is in need of some attention. (+3 Precision)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Medicai City

[C347][N226][MG69][MD102][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:47 PM

She snapped out of it when Martin addressed her. “Oh,” she said quietly as she blinked and looked at her watch to see the time. “I guess it is kind of late.” Only then did she realize just how tired she was from the night before and the whole day she’d spent at work. It suddenly all came crashing down on her, and she couldn’t stop herself from yawning.

“Hmm, I’ll take that as a yes,” Martin said with a chuckle.

It felt like Neil hadn’t had any time with Cybele, but it couldn’t be helped. If anything, he was grateful that she’d come back, and that she hadn’t given up on him. He couldn’t really understand how or why, but it was only fair that he cooperate from now on. She’d done a lot for him, and all he’d been for her was deadweight. Even in hindsight, he couldn’t understand why she was still there, supporting him.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Keystones: 4511
Donate

[C348][N227][MG69][MD103][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:49 PM

“I’ll see you guys out,” Neil eventually said, getting up from the couch and following both of them out as they headed back to the lobby. Martin was in front, with Cybele following behind him and Neil at the end of the line.

“Well, I had a good time tonight,” Martin said as he stopped just a few steps short from the front door. “I was happy to see you again, Neil,” he added, and he went in to ruffle Neil’s hair, only to be denied.

“Stop with this!” Neil complained as he flailed and pushed Martin’s hand away, which only made him laugh.

“Okay, okay, fine,” Martin said as he kept both hands to himself. “You take care now, my boy.” He turned to the door and opened it for both him and Cybele to exit. “Let’s go, lassie.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C349][N228][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:50 PM

Martin made his way out, and while Cybele was going to follow, she hesitated. “Um, I’ll be right there, doctor Donato,” she said as she turned back to Neil, the two of them now standing by the front door.

Neil couldn’t imagine why Cybele wasn’t just following Martin out, especially considering she looked exhausted. She was fidgeting with her bag now, and she looked like she wanted to say something.

“Neil?” she finally said, her eyes darting this way and that.

She paused, and Neil said, “Yeah?”

She gripped the handle of her bag and raised her shoulders. “Listen, what happened yesterday, I just—”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C350][N229][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:52 PM

“No,” Neil interrupted her, and he shook his head. “Cybele, I already told you you don’t need to—”

“But I do,” she insisted, looking up to make eye contact with him. “What I did and what I said yesterday: none of it was justified. What I did was awful.”

He knew she felt genuinely bad about it all, but she also didn’t believe him when he said that she didn’t have to feel bad about any of it. “I told you,” he assured her, “it’s fine. It really is.”

She sighed and shook her head. “Even if you say that,” she said, “I can’t sleep with it on my conscience. So… I’m sorry, Neil,” she continued, looking at him with genuinely saddened eyes. “I’m sorry for what happened.”

For a moment, all Neil could do was look down at her. “Cybele?”

She blinked. “Yes?”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C351][N230][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:54 PM

He frowned, and he looked away. “Why did you come back?” His tone wasn’t condescending; he was asking because he truly thought he would never see her again after that episode from the night before.

She didn’t take his question the wrong way, but it did leave her confused. “I’m sorry?”

Neli sighed. “I’d never seen that side of you,” he elaborated. “I thought…” He paused, and he looked down sadly. “I thought I’d actually managed to make you snap for the first time. I really thought…” He mustered the courage to look directly at her. “I really thought you were going to speak to Murray. I really did.”

She felt her heart sink when Neil looked at her that way, and it just made her realize how much she regretted what she’d done. “Neil, I…” Part of her wanted to reach out to him; to hold his hand, to put a hand on his arm; something; but she decided against it.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C352][N231][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:56 PM

“And then you came tonight.” She hadn’t expected him to continue, but she let him finish. “And I was glad… to see you again. But then Martin said you’d read my file, and…” The thought of it just exasperated him; he still couldn’t believe that Martin had had the gall to do that. “And you still came back, even after reading that… that mess.”

Cybele was speechless as Neil opened up about all this. “Why?” his question came again, and when he looked back at her, she could see just how confused he felt. And despite his heartfelt question, she didn’t have an answer for him.

But an answer is what he wanted, and she would do her best to give him just that. “Neil, I…” She stepped forward, and she reached out for his hands. She took both of his hands into hers and brought them close to her. “I don’t really have an answer to give you,” she admitted. “I guess all I can say is… I care about you. And I don’t think you’re broken or whatever it is that you call yourself.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C353][N232][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:57 PM

She found the courage to look up at him, and he looked completely enamored with what she had to say. “And I think you’re a wonderful doctor. If I had been better that day, maybe you never would’ve lost your license. That’s why I want to help you.” It was a little convoluted, and there were things she’d already told him, but she hoped it got her point across; whatever that point was.

“So…” She looked back down at their hands, held together. “I don’t know if it answers your question, but—”

He interrupted her by pulling her forward. She suddenly felt him pulling her in, and her heart stopped for a second until she realized he’d been pulled her into an embrace. She felt him squeezing her tightly, holding onto her without saying a word. She held her breath as she felt their bodies touching; their chests pressing and his arms wrapped around her, while her own arms were against his body. She could’ve pushed him away; she could’ve asked him what he was doing; but instead she let him hug her, in silence. She felt him taking a deep breath as they both took in that moment that they shared. The thought of hugging him back crossed her mind, but she hesitated.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C354][N233][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 9:59 PM

They stayed like that for a few seconds — it definitely felt much longer than that, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. “Thank you,” he whispered after a while, and he tightened his grip on her afterwards. It was a warm, comforting embrace; and slowly, hesitantly, she returned the hug.

Arguably, he had never felt so at peace until this moment. He didn’t want to let go, but he slowly pulled away, knowing she had to get home still, and that she had work in the morning, unlike him. He kept his hands on her shoulders, and the two looked at each other. “Thank you,” he said again, and he hoped she knew how much it came from the heart.

He was putting her on the spot, and she felt so embarrassed; but not in a bad way. She just smiled sheepishly at him, at a loss for words.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C355][N234][MG69][MD104][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 10:00 PM

“You should go,” he said quietly as he looked up to see Martin still waiting in his car. “Martin’s waiting, and you have work and everything tomorrow.” He let her go, and he let his arms drop to his sides. “Sorry.”

She shook her head. “It’s okay,” she assured him, and before leaving, she asked, “See you tomorrow?”

He smiled just a little bit as he nodded and said, “See you tomorrow.”

Cybele made her way out, and Neil hung by the doorway. When she finally reached Martin’s car, she quickly settled in. “I’m so sorry, doctor Donato,” she apologized as she realized how much she’d made him wait.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MG69][MD105][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/07/2017 10:01 PM

Fortunately, Martin wasn’t one to fuss over small things. He was chilling in his seat with a big smile on his face. “Don’t worry about it, lassie,” he assured her, and he turned his attention to Neil, who was waiting for them to leave. “Ready?”

With Cybele’s seatbelt buckled down, Martin waved his goodbye to Neil, and Neil did the same. The three of them waved at each other as Martin drove away, and Cybele kept looking back towards Neil’s house even after they’d driven a little ways away. She eventually settled back into her seat, and her mind played their embrace in a loop until Martin got to her little apartment. Even after that, her mind got stuck on that moment that they’d shared tonight; and even as she settled into bed for the night, she gripped her pillow tightly and let herself relive that charming moment as she fell asleep.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MG70][MD106][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/08/2017 9:54 PM

The amount of obsolete files was astounding. The amount of cleaning up he had to do was unreal. He had never cleaned up anything in the years he had been a doctor, and it was now coming back to bite him in the ass.

“They were so precious, Murray.” As he tried to do work and organize his mess, Martin kept him “company”, specifically because the hematologist just couldn’t keep his excitement to himself about what had happened the night before.

“Hm,” Murray usually replied, but his attention was taken up by this spontaneous spring cleaning. They were getting new patients every day, and there were certain records they could certainly afford to put into storage. Some of them were definitely more than ten years old; some dated back to some doctors that had been long gone. He frowned.
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MG71][MD107][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/08/2017 9:56 PM

“Honestly, he never took his treatment so well in all my years with him,” Martin went on to say, leaning comfortably in one of Murray’s guest chairs while the head man continued to pay minimal attention to him.

That mention was something he did pay attention to. “It’s about time,” Murray said, “but I’m glad they’re making it work.”

“Oh, but you don’t even know,” Martin added. “You know they’re totally into each other, right?”

Murray audibly groaned. “Again with this?” Before Martin could say anything back, he added, “You think I don’t know? Cybele wouldn’t be doing something this stupid if she didn’t like him.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MG72][MD108][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/08/2017 9:58 PM

“They kill me, Murray,” Martin said quietly with the biggest grin on his face. “You understand what I’m saying?”

Murray rolled his eyes, something Martin couldn’t see from where he sat, but surely he had imagined that to be Murray’s reaction.

“He promised he would behave going forward,” Martin went on to say, “and I know he’s doing it because he got scared when Cybele threatened to...” He’d gotten so carried away that he’d almost spilled beans he wasn’t supposed to spill.

Murray hadn’t been paying much attention, and Martin held his breath, hoping that had been the case here; but he saw Murray pause whatever he was doing. “Wait… what?”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MW73][MD109][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/08/2017 10:02 PM

“Nothing,” Martin blurted out quickly. “Silly kids just had a fight; you know, things kids do,” he added with an awkward and uncomfortable laugh to try and pass it off as a joke.

But Murray knew Martin better than that, and he turned around. “You’re lying,” he said bluntly, and he narrowed his eyes. “What did Cybele threaten to do?”

Panic started to rise in Martin’s chest when Murray insisted and called him out on his bluff. “Ah, I mean…” He started fiddling with his hands. “I’m telling you, they just had a fight, and—”

“Martin.” Murray called out his name so sternly made Martin quiet, and his anxiety only got worse when Murray dropped what he was doing to come face to face with him. “Stop bullshitting me,” Murray said, and he leaned against the armrests on Martin’s chair, making him tower over Martin, “and tell whatever the fuck it is that you know.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

[C356][N235][MW74][MD110][ME47][MC52][D14]

Postby Jaykobell » 08/08/2017 10:04 PM

Martin held his breath and subconsciously sunk into the chair when Murray started pressuring him into talking. “Murray,” he said quietly, and a little pitifully, “Murray, just—just please forget you heard anything,” he begged. “I promised I wouldn’t say anything, and it just slipped, and you know I don’t—”

“Martin!” Murray raised his voice, and again Martin turned quiet. “If it concerns those two kids, then I have the right to know what the fuck they’re doing!”

It hit Murray a few seconds later how panicked Martin looked, and that maybe he’d been too rough with him. Martin had to be handled gently when confrontation was involved, and that just wasn’t Murray’s way.

But the two knew each other well; so Martin eventually just sighed and looked away. “If I tell you what I know,” he started, and he looked at Murray with pitiful eyes, “do you promise not to repeat it to anybody?” The fact he’d opened his mouth had been bad enough; if anyone else found out, he would never forgive himself. “I promised them both I wouldn’t say anything.”
Jaykobell
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Pets | Items
Donate

PreviousNext