Almost large enough to be considered a theme park while remaining free to the public, Terrace Park is rumored to have been the site of the Grand Hollowheart's defeat, leading to the Hollowhearts first accepting a pact with humans. (+2 Fame, +2 Endurance)

Moderator: Retired Staff

Return to Terrace Park

who we once were [self] [quest]

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 1:45 PM

Annie carefully laid down a picnic blanket, the sun beating down on her as it slowly crossed the sky.  Her basket held down one corner while her tote bag held down another.  It was weighed down by all of her art supplies - more than she usually carried but she knew she would be here for quite some time.  Her friend would be joining her soon (though she was perpetually late).  Annie had arrived early, though, in order to sketch.  The ever-present journal was in her hands, charcoal already staining her fingertips.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

find me on the discord if you wanna chat!
Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Keystones: 558
Donate

Re: who we once were [self] [quest]

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 1:49 PM

Dorothy huffed as she held onto the hands of both of her daughters.  One of them was bursting with anticipation to finally get to Terrace Park, the other was starkly less excited.  Nancy loved socializing, loved climbing, loved getting dirty.  Edith was quieter and preferred the company of her mother and Annie on these biweekly visits.  

"Bye!"  Nancy dashed off the moment she laid eyes on her target.  Dorothy cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted back, "Don't go too far now!"

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 1:54 PM

Annie had been gone for quite some time - traveling across the country doing odd artist jobs.  As a freelancer she took all the business she could.  She would always ask Dorothy when she was finally going to come with her.  Imagine everything we could see together.  Imagine everything we could do.  Dorothy always put her down gently, though.  She always did.

Suddenly, someone slammed into her back and wrapped their arms around her.  Luckily Annie wasn't in the middle of drawing or it would've been ruined!  "Hi, Edith," Annie said warmly.  She looked up to see Dorothy and beamed.  "Hi, Doe."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 2:01 PM

It warmed her heart to see how much her children loved Annie.  Annie, who had been a constant for so many years.  A woman of warm comfort.  They called her Auntie.  She came to all of their events. Really, she was more involved in their life than their own father was.  

"How was your travel?"  Dorothy asked as she nestled herself next to Annie.  "I missed you."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 2:06 PM

Annie shrugged. "It was work."  Sometimes she felt like her talents were just going to waste.  Doing portraits for well-to-do people who wanted disturbingly large paintings of themselves hung above mantles.   "I got something for you, Edith."  She scooted over a bit to rustle into her tote bag, bringing out a book that was objectively all too big for a girl Edith's age.

Edith made a little excited squeak, grabbing it from her hands. "Thank you, Auntie!"  She rushed off to a bench out by a pond.  She'd be too distracted over the womens gossip.

"How was everything here?"  Annie asked Dorothy as they both waved Edith off.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 8:03 PM

Dorothy made an indifferent grunt, pulling Annie's picnic basket into her lap. She pulled out a store-prepared vegetable plate and rolled her eyes. "The girls still bicker. Nancy failed her last test."  She sighed.  The girls had noticed a growing difference between their mother and father and, while the eldest was taking it in strides, Nancy was not adjusting at all.  "I want to talk about better things, Annie."  She had that stern edge to her voice - it wasn't mean, just clear.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 8:23 PM

Annie would listen to Dorothy because she always did.  After all these years she knew when to push Doe's buttons and when she wouldnt. "Okay," she conceded.  No point in arguing.  She reached over her friends lap to pull a sandwich out (another thing prepackaged... well, everything in that basket was bought rather than made) and started eating.  Mouth half-full she started saying, "Aldrecht was all together boring.  Too many stuck up types for me."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 8:44 PM

She laughed at the image of Annie in the Holy City, surrounded by far too many people for her liking.  "I bet you were dying to return."  Their quaint little town, their quaint little life.  Dorothy's life was always a little harder without Annie around; she always helped with the girls.  Whether it was picking them up from school or lettering them stay at her house, she was incredibly reliable.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 8:51 PM

"I truly was."  Leaving home was quite possibly the scariest thing Annie had every done;  a simple woman of simple means who dreamed of going big.  She still hesitated every time she left, every time she would wave to Dorothy.  It was a dangerous world out there, that was for sure.  All Annie wanted to do was paint landscapes.  "I did get you something, though."  She beamed, pulling something out of her pocket.

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate

Postby Icy Rose » 08/30/2017 9:13 PM

Dorothy's eyes widened as Annie pulled a jewelry box from her jacket pocket. "Annie... you shouldn't have." A small smile came across her face as she gingerly reached out for the box.  She squeezed Annie's hand before eagerly opening it.  Inside there was a beautiful necklace, adorned with deep garnet jewels that flattered Dorothy's complexion.  It matched the pair of earrings she was currently wearing.  "Oh, dear.  This is too much."

zoo pen

documents

journal

thread tracker

Icy Rose
Master Veteran
Master Veteran
Pets | Items
Donate